Clear Coat advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Love my TL! ready 4 mods!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Coat advice

San Diego Clear Coat
I didn't get the clear coat offered when I purchased my car and now I am regretting it. Have anyone gotten clear coat put on after you purchased the car? I called around to the Acura dealers in San Diego and they all use different kinds. I am not sure which one to go with, any one have any good advice/experience with this? I am tired of all the scratches and swirls put on the NBP of mine. It is a beauty but a bitch to take care of. I am hoping the clear coat would help somewhat. So far, I've gotten quotes for ISPS, Diamond Glass, Finishing Touch and I am not sure which one is good...Any advice/help would be appreciated.
Oh also, I have a small scratch on it (idiot beach goers with beach supplies)- how should the car be prepped before bringing it in for the clear coat. Do i have to get them to fix that before putting on the clear coat.
How much did you guys pay for your clear coat or sealant as some call it?

Last edited by up2nooogood; 09-15-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what your referring to is actuall a protectant? Clear coats cant be reapplied once they have left the factory. You would have to sand existing coat, wet sand, reapply a clear coat, wet sand some more. Its very time consuming and expensive!
As for protectants, theres a load of info here about protetective polymers and Nuba waxes......
Im certain more will add..........
Old 09-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gathering from your post and I hope I'm correct, you must be referring to a dealer/3rd party applied paint protection plan. This dealer option is applying a sealant of some sort to protect the paint from the environment as well as pollutants. They guarantee it will hold up for X number of years with minimal maintenance, no waxing reapplied annually for a cost. Paint protection will not prevent swirls and minor scratches. My on this; find a good detailer or DIY. There are a number of products available for a fraction of the cost.

The only other product I can possibly think of is Paint Protection Film (PPF) commonly known as clearbra. This product is a clear polyurethane film with an adhesive backing and usually applied to the front end of a vehicle (bumper, hood, fenders). PPF prevents damage to the front end from road debris, rocks, bugs, etc. You're looking at anywhere from $500 and up depending on the type of coverage.

Whoever does the application for the product will prep the vehicle as necessary. You may want them to look at the scratch before they proceed and they may be able to buff it out if it's not to deep. This should be corrected before applying any protection. You can DIY the scratch with this product or have a body shop take a look at it and should be corrected before applying any protection.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Love my TL! ready 4 mods!

Thank you for your advice and info. You are absolutely right. The going rate is $300+ for a 3 yr warranty for the environmental paint protection. I have heard and read about clear bra on this site but I don't like the idea of the different color tones it causes. I don't want to have to wax every 2 weeks, i want the car to continue to have the show room shine for as long as it can. I've used Scratch X and waxed the car to death and it covered the scratch pretty well. However it is still there. Just hidden.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Clear coat is the last 2 coats of paint that they put on the car at the factory. Without it, your paint would have no shine to it, and would fade very quickly.

You must be talking about one of those clear film bras or a paint protection pakage (basically a fancy wax job)