Clay Bar on car with no CC

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar on car with no CC

I searched but couldn't find an answer.
I was bored yesterday so I figured i would put some protection on the beater 87 wrangler.
I figured I would claybar it cause I don't think it has ever been done. I started doing it and it started turning my claybar red(the color of the car)
So is it safe or do you even need to claybar a car without a clearcoat?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good question, leave it to the pros for an answer...

my guess would be no, though
Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
So is it safe?

Yes as long as you properly lubricate the clay.

...or do you even need to claybar a car without a clearcoat?

Sure, even non-clearcoated cars pick up grime and dirt.

LL
Old 01-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a problem. Your not doing anything a polish wouldnt anyway (abrasive wise). Its just removing dead paint. Carry on good man.....i hope your using a mild bar though.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Not a problem. Your not doing anything a polish wouldnt anyway (abrasive wise). Its just removing dead paint. Carry on good man.....i hope your using a mild bar though.

Brake dust particles attack paint (it doesn't know the difference bertween single or clear coat) as they are both just paint. Part of what you are seeing on the automotive clay is oxidation (simply stated 'dried out paint')

Single stage paint systems (base and colour coat) – without a clear coat to provide protection, primarily a hostile environment will attack the paint surface causing microscopic gaps and valleys (micro fissures) and it becomes compromised both chemically; by industrial fallout (IFO) acid rain, brake /rail dust and etc., and by UV heat radiation, which causes it to dry out and/or fail, causing the clear coat to expand and often separate from the base coat, allowing environmental pollutants to penetrate.

Acids enter the breach formed in the clear coat and attack the resin binder system, which accelerates the degrading of the paint film surface, eventually leading to oxidation and/or failure. Oxidation can appear as a dull and somewhat hazy, or `chalky' appearance to the paint surface, a paint film surface that is adequately protected with wax or a sealant actually has a lower surface temperature than one that is not. A dark coloured vehicle parked in the sun can attain a surface temperature in excess of 200° F With both types of paint system the application of a Carnauba wax provides a sacrificial and easily renewable barrier against airborne contaminants, which means the wax is compromised not the paint system

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-06-2007 at 05:56 AM.