Car Care Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008 | 01:24 AM

Car Care Questions

I have multiple questions and I would truly appreciate your effort in answering them.

1. Do swirl remover products damage clear coats? Do polishes damage clear coats?
2. For minor swirls, which product "fills" in the swirls to make it non-visible?
3. When using microfiber towls for drying, do they remove wax/sealant due to their "hooking" features?
4. Which, in your opinion, tire shine/cleaner last the longest. (I find Armor All Extreme Shine to have little longevity)
5. Do waffle weaving towls leave swirls? Do I have to fear WW towels or should I dry with microfibers?

I may have more questions later on as I try to keep my 07 CGP TSX as clean and shiny as possible. My first wash already gave me some swirls due to me being inexperience with washing a brand new car with clear coat (my first car was an oxidized white integra so I didn't really care about keeping it looking good.) I've read a lot about Four Star product so I would like to know if any of their products are the answers to my questions. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2008 | 03:52 AM
Racer

I would like to know as well, I also have an 07 cgp tsx
Old 01-07-2008 | 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Answers in bold......
I have multiple questions and I would truly appreciate your effort in answering them.

1. Do swirl remover products damage clear coats? Do polishes damage clear coats? Swirl removers and/or polishes (actualy one in the same) reduce/minimize swirls by removing microlayers of clear coat. If you consider the swirl removal "process" damaging, then the answer to your question would be yes. More often then not, its what we dont do to the clear coat that is damaging.
2. For minor swirls, which product "fills" in the swirls to make it non-visible? Depending on the severity of swirls, "glazes" can be applied to "minimize" the appearance of swirls. This is normally applied after a polish (which cleans pant and reduces swirls), and sealant (which protects the paint from
environmental contamination, U.V.'s)

3. When using microfiber towls for drying, do they remove wax/sealant due to their "hooking" features? Only the protion which is not dry/set/crosslinked. They are the most efficient for auto detailing.
4. Which, in your opinion, tire shine/cleaner last the longest. (I find Armor All Extreme Shine to have little longevity) Like every one else on this forum, you have an opinion, and are certainly entitled to it at every path you cross. If you like the appearance of AA Extreme Shine, then by all means continue its use. We all have a slightly different criteria for durability and appearance, and more then liely use differing products for tires.
5. Do waffle weaving towls leave swirls? Do I have to fear WW towels or should I dry with microfibers? Your more then likely safer using a WW. Most WW's have "thirst pockets which can help encapsulate any foreign debris should in come in contact with the painted surface. Most will add an additional associate towel (MF) to assist in drying steaks.

I may have more questions later on as I try to keep my 07 CGP TSX as clean and shiny as possible. My first wash already gave me some swirls due to me being inexperience with washing a brand new car with clear coat (my first car was an oxidized white integra so I didn't really care about keeping it looking good.) I've read a lot about Four Star product so I would like to know if any of their products are the answers to my questions. Thank you.[/QUOTE] Theres quite a few of us who really like the ease of use, durability, and effectivness of Four Star Products. They have a product for all of your detailing needs i.e., leather, plastics, polishes, quick detailer, sealant, spray sealant, etc....Great company, great relationship with Gary, superior products. Everything I could ask for as one of their distributors......

One last tings to the two of you, consider the purchase of a UDM for your new vehicles. Browse and search this forum for "UPP, UDM, PC, Polsihes, sealants etc". You'll be amazed and at ease to know, your not the only one who has asked these questions before....!
Great group of experienced enthusiasts, and detailers here at Acurazine, so take advantage of us all!
Old 01-07-2008 | 09:52 AM
Safety Car

There are numerous detailing sources available online. Other than the use of a specific product name, they all state the basic processes, here's a few you can browse through . . . Paintcare & Detailing, Detail University, Autopia Car Care, Autogeek, Proper Auto Care.
Do waffle weaving towls leave swirls? Do I have to fear WW towels or should I dry with microfibers?
WW towels are microfiber, just the pattern differs. For more info about MF, check out this page.

I do concur investing in a PC or UDM. The initial cost (machine, accessories, products) can be somewhat deterring, but will pay for itself in the long run. Compare the cost of a quality exterior detail (2X annually) vs DIY and the savings can be substantial. Look at this as an investment considering you have a $30 grand vehicle.
Old 01-07-2008 | 12:02 PM

Sorry if you misunderstood question four Excel, but I was actually dissappointed in the AA Extreme Shine due to it's short life span of shine. I don't want to waste my money on testing tire shine products so I did ask for opinions on which last longer. Also, does the FS Pre Wax Cleanser "fill" in the swirls? Does the Ultimate Paint Protection fill in the swirls.

Well, Excel, thanks for the extensive explanation. I was really skeptical about the WW towels but now I'm gonna consider getting one. You don't seem to sell MF WW towels on your site though, or am I wrong?
Old 01-07-2008 | 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Also, does the FS Pre Wax Cleanser "fill" in the swirls? Does the Ultimate Paint Protection fill in the swirls.
The FS Pre Wax Cleanser does not contain any fillers and is a chemical cleaner that will remove oxidation, dirt, and basically just prepares the surface. UPP is a pure sealant and does not contain any fillers. If you're looking to fill swirls, a glaze would be the product to use. The best option to correct/remove would be to use a polish like FS SMR.
Well, Excel, thanks for the extensive explanation. I was really skeptical about the WW towels but now I'm gonna consider getting one. You don't seem to sell MF WW towels on your site though, or am I wrong?
Yea, Patrick has them on the site . . . Monterey WW.
Old 01-08-2008 | 01:45 AM
_

Sorry if you misunderstood question four Excel, but I was actually dissappointed in the AA Extreme Shine due to it's short life span of shine. I don't want to waste my money on testing tire shine products so I did ask for opinions on which last longer.
Don't know if you do this or not, but I've found that if you clean your tires before applying a dressing, it helps with the shine and longevity. Just use a tire scrub brush and go at it with soap and water.

I currently use Meguiars Endurance and Surf City Garage Beyond Black and get weeks of shine from them. But the key is to properly clean your tires first.
Old 01-08-2008 | 11:33 AM

I've read somewhere that Meg's NXT wax can act as a "filler" for swirls. Can I use Four Star UPP on TOP of Meg's NXT? Is it safe to do so?
Old 01-08-2008 | 12:53 PM
Safety Car

I know NXT contains a mild cleaning/polishing agent but not sure if it has fillers. You could probably apply a coat of sealant on top of it after a 12-24 hour cure. I could be wrong but I don't recall anyone using that particular combo. The preference would be to eliminate the swirls and use UPP as a standalone sealant. BTW, Megs has a polymer and synthetic sealant available, #20 and #21.
Old 01-08-2008 | 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Another product which may fit your needs foremost would be Danase Wet Glaze. Its developed as a glaze an sealant............
You could then top with FS UPP 24/48 hrs later. WONDERFUL on dark colors.
Old 01-08-2008 | 03:09 PM

Thanks all. I really need something like a glaze. I can't imagine stripping my clear coat using abrasive products. I just have a weird feeling when I know I'm ridding my car of SOME clear coatings.
Old 01-08-2008 | 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Youve got plenty of CC for maintenance, dont be worried.