Car backed up into my bumper. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car backed up into my bumper. Need help

So i found out this morning while looking at my car that I received damage while parked on a busy street. I would like some advice on how to fix this. I already ordered some touch up paint (is one paint pen enough?), and have read guides on how to do it, but I would like advice and tips that are specifically for my situation. I am also worried that this big paint chip will in turn cause rust and paint around it to also chip. I only had the car for a little more than 2 months

Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
damn man that sux ... touch up pen will cover up the marks, but i think your best bet is to repaint the bumper so everything matches right
Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
damn man that sucks ... i think your best bet is to repaint the bumper so everything matches right
+1

Looks like they sure did hit you hard... And I was worried about my car after a little love tap

Old 09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I would most definitely take that to a bodyshop for repaint.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

how much should i expect? low budget so i think im just going to touch up paint. what is the best way to get that peeling plastic off? any step by step advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
looks like you need more then paint, looks like the bumper cover is cracked...750 bucks should get you a new bumper cover, with a fresh coat of paint...

also, your bumper cover is plastic, so rust is not an issue...
Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
10th Gear

yes i was in over my head on the rusting -_- doesnt make sense. the bumper isnt cracked, just the paint from the inpact. the paint near the headlight had very little cracks before this happened, just it got worse. i dont have the funds for a new bumper nor have the whole bumper repainted, and i also know this will probably happen again, living in nyc. i think im just going to touch up paint and make it a little less noticable. How can I flatten out the peeling to make it look smoother?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
if you have never done this kind of work, chances are you'll make it even worse by touching it up.
1. save the money and get it done right, it costs around 350-500 for bumper repaint here in LA.
2. dont do anything and just learn to deal with it.

judging from pictures, its too big of an area to be touched up, sanded down, and buffed out. save the money and get it done right by the bodyshop if it bothers you that much.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rraymondddh
yes i was in over my head on the rusting -_- doesnt make sense. the bumper isnt cracked, just the paint from the inpact. the paint near the headlight had very little cracks before this happened, just it got worse. i dont have the funds for a new bumper nor have the whole bumper repainted, and i also know this will probably happen again, living in nyc. i think im just going to touch up paint and make it a little less noticable. How can I flatten out the peeling to make it look smoother?
You can sand "the cracked part" very lightly and slowly with at least 1200/1600 grit wet sanding paper... Keep it small!

Then just take a long smooth stroke with the touch up brush, it will take several days to fill in the crack.

Buy your touch up paint from Acura....

Try the 1600 grit first and take your time... wish I could help you!!!! Good luck
Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
if you have never done this kind of work, chances are you'll make it even worse by touching it up.
1. save the money and get it done right, it costs around 350-500 for bumper repaint here in LA.
2. dont do anything and just learn to deal with it.

judging from pictures, its too big of an area to be touched up, sanded down, and buffed out. save the money and get it done right by the bodyshop if it bothers you that much.
I agree... but In my own experiences,, I've had some good outcomes.....

OP I restored cars/painted/unibody work for 15 years in another life.

Save ur $$$ and let the experts do it if it really bugs you.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM
10th Gear

what is the outcome of just filling the chipped paint, or at least painting over it (the top damage)? will it even fill/adhere to the surrounding paint and the primer that is exposed?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 AM
6th Gear

Wow, sorry that happened to your car. Anyway, I was reading up on how to fill in a paint chip and came across this post in the RDX forum from mav238:

I had a small paint chip on my right rear mirror housing, about 1cm long and 0.25 cm wide.

So I did the following:
Wipe down the chipped area with a small amount car shampoo to remove excess debris
tape off the chipped area with masking tape, making sure there is a small excess of painted area around it
Begin to layer the touch-up paint over the chipped area, allowing each thin layer to dry for an hour, before applying the next coat
Enough layers of paint should be applied so that it feels higher than the unchipped painted area
Allow newly painted chipped area to dry at least for 24 hours
Remove masking tape
Take a 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a small amount of car shampoo solution, and wet the sandpaper
Begin to rub down the "raised" chipped area, stopping to rewet the sandpaper frequently.
Sand down in a straight up and down or right/left motion
Feel the chip area after some sanding, to see if the "chipped painted area" is level with the surrounding painted area
The 2000 grit sandpaper will finely scuff up the painted surface. Don't worry, simply use Meguiar's Scratch-X to polish out the scuffed area

I'll post a picture of it later, but the chipped area is now level with the surrounding painted area, and although it is not perfect, it is definitely better than simply paint the chipped area alone without sanding down the paint blob.
Hope the original poster doesn't mind I re-posted it...just trying to help.

Someone backed into my 2-month-old RDX in a parking lot and left a scratch about the size of a staple on the liftgate today. I might use mav238's method but I'm leaning towards using a sticker to cover it up. I live in SoCal, where crazy so-called drivers abound--it sucks, but I'm not ready for pasture just yet so I have to learn to live with these WTF moments.

Getting back to fixing your car, I can sympathize with working on a limited budget but it may be worth saving up the money to get it repainted given that the car is so new and it's a pretty substantial gash. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.