Can I apply another coat of Zaino after a week?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I apply another coat of Zaino after a week?

I washed my car last week and applied one layer of ZFX + Z2. Can i wash my car this week and apply another layer? Is the surface of the car suppose to be really smooth after the zaino is applied? The hood is really smooth, but when I touch the fenders, it's not so smooth.

thanks!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Advanced

If you use Z2+ZFX you can apply up to three layers a day. If you use it without the ZFX (with Z1 on the first layer) you should wait about 24 hours before you apply the next layer.

If there is already a layer of Z2 with either ZFX of Z1 on the car and you only want to apply one extra layer you dont need to use the ZFX again. At least not until you get to the 10th layer

I just love Zaino, it gets better with every layer you apply. In the picture below my car has 2 layers of Z5+ZFX and one layer of Z2 on it. Im planning to apply a few more layer of Z2 the next couple of weeks...

Old 04-21-2004, 02:19 AM
Pro

So when I wash my car this weekend, I can apply another layer of Z2? Do I need to mix the Z2 with the ZFX again? I couldn't apply a second layer on there because it got dark. I did use a layer of Z1 before I applied the ZFX+Z2.

I like that front lip you have.... do you know where I can get that?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:35 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by DjElucid
So when I wash my car this weekend, I can apply another layer of Z2? Do I need to mix the Z2 with the ZFX again? I couldn't apply a second layer on there because it got dark. I did use a layer of Z1 before I applied the ZFX+Z2.

I like that front lip you have.... do you know where I can get that?
You should get your Zaino routine straight, if you use ZFX there is no need to apply a coat of Z1 first. Z1 is a bonding primer which u use before application of the first layer of Z2. If you mix the Z2 with the ZFX you don't need the primer cause the ZFX makes the Z2 bond to the paint.

After the first layer of Z2 with either ZFX or Z1 you only have to mix the Z2 with the ZFX if you want to apply more than 1 layer of Zaino in 24 hours. If not, apply only the Z2, let it dry for an hour an wipe it off.

I hope this helps you...
Old 04-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Pro

Wait, so I don't need to use Z1 if I'm mixing ZFX+Z2? No where on the Zaino website does it say that, and the instructions don't say that either....hmm..

So when I go to apply the Z2 again this weekend after my wash, should I use the ZFX again or just plain Z2? I can't leave it on for 24 hours because I'm going to need to drive my car and I don't have a garage. =(

thanks for all your help!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Advanced

This is what the Zaino website says about ZFX...

4. The basic products you will need are Z1 or the new ZFX accelerator additive, Z2, Z5 (optional, but highly recommended), Z6 and Z7.

5. Start with either Z-1 Polish Lok as per directions OR the preferred New ZFX accelerator additive. If you are using Z-1 it does not need to dry. Remember do not wipe off the Z-1 Polish Lok. Apply Z-5 or Z-2 directly over the Z-1. Z-5 is the Hot ticket for a swirl free, flawless paint finish. Usually one to three coats will accomplish that.

6. Let Z-5 or Z-2 polish dry at least one hour. Please NOTE: Zaino Show Car Polish works best at 60 degrees or higher. However, it can be applied down to temperatures of 45 degrees. It just will take much, much longer to dry. As much as two to three hours drying time is required if the temperature is 50 degrees or below. Also, If the humidity is high. Longer drying time is necessary. Humidity is a killer on the drying time of Z-2 or Z-5. The moisture in the air hinders drying time up to four times longer than normal. Sorry, but I can't help this. When you try to remove Z-2 or Z-5 when it is still wet. All you're accomplishing is moving it around. Kinda like reapplying it. Also you need to use a LARGE White 100% Bath size towel (please refer to my Tips & Tricks sheet on my web site for the proper towels to use) to remove Z-2 or Z-5. Smaller towels will not work efficiently.

To test if Z-2 or Z-5 is dry and ready to be removed. Wipe your finger on a hazed section. It should immediately come off and leave a crytal clear finish. If it smears, it is still wet. You can leave Z-2 or Z-5 on for hours or overnight if you desire. When it is not humid Z-2 will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to dry. Depending on how heavy you applied it. I have applied Z-2 in the Arizona sun and it dried in approx. 3 to 5 minutes. I have also applied it in 38 degree temperature and it took about 2 to 3 hours to dry. Be patient. It's worth it. Different situations affect drying times. Also, remember you have Z-1 and Z-5 both on the car. That is two products that have to dry at one time. Takes longer. Z-2 or Z-5 does not cotain any oils and once it's dry will never ever look smeary or feel greasy. If you remove Z-2 or Z-5 before it is thoroughly dry and get any smears. Just wipe down the car with a damp cotton towel. This will remove any smears. Don't use Z-6 until you wipe the car down. If you'd like call me and I'll help you out with more info!
Note: If you are using the New ZFX accelerator additive drying time is greatly reduced.

This next part applies only when you dont mix the Z2 with ZFX...

7. After removal of Zaino Z-2 or Z-5. You should wait 24 hours if the outside temperature is under 70 degrees and 6 hours if over 70 degrees, before applying the next coat of Z-5 or Z-2.
If you mix the Z2 with ZFX you can apply up to three layers a day, also drying time is greatly reduced.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Pro

I used the ZFX+Z2 on top of the Z1, do you think I should start all over by taking the wax off or apply Z2 right over it after washing?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Advanced

No, I don't think that will be a problem, you just could have saved yourselve a bit of work
Old 04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro

Thanks for all your help...

Where did you get your front lip from? Is that the OEM kit they have on the Euro accord?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:11 PM
cmf
ATCer

Euro accord
Old 04-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Advanced

The front lip is standard on the TYPE-S
Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Racer

Originally posted by DjElucid
I used the ZFX+Z2 on top of the Z1, do you think I should start all over by taking the wax off or apply Z2 right over it after washing?
Hi.... the answer above is correct. There is no need to remove what is on the car now. Set the Z1 aside - and hope you find a local buyer for it . .cause you dont really need it again for quite a while. Where did you get the Zaino from? If a distributor - they should have told you not to get both (at least thats what I do, and it makes sense) . .. if from the webstore - , well then thats different. The ZFX replaces the need for Z1, and you use it the same occassions you would have used the Z1. First coat - and every 10. Then there is the added bonus of being able to multiple coat - and then you MUST use the ZFX at that time also. Hope that helps . ..
Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Advanced

Hi.... the answer above is correct.

Zaino is by far the best product I've ever used on my cars. To bad it is very difficult to get some here in the Netherlands. There is a distributor in Germany but the prices are ridicules!

To bad Sall doesn't ship to European customers
Old 04-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro

Hey Dutch, how much are they charging you over there? Are the prices on the zainoproducts.com site cheaper for you? I would have no problems shipping some through USPS global priority (about $10-$15, depending on how much stuff) for you. Whatever you want to order, add 8.95 to have that shipped to me and then however much it will cost to ship it to you in the netherlands. I have a paypal account if that makes it eaiser.

Homer- I bought the zaino stuff online from zainoproducts.com

I was wondering water wasn't beading off like it should after I waxed it. Must wax again!!!

thanks guys.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Advanced

A bottle of Z2 costs about 25 dollar over here, shipping from Germany to the Netherland will cost another 20 dollar!

Right now I have enough Zaino products on the shelf, but if I need any in the future I jmight just take you up on that offer
Old 04-22-2004, 11:09 PM
Racer

Dj - that explians that . ..it is one reason they took so long to set up e-comerce. Customers need info . ..

Dutch . .. Z2 is $25 - is that US dollars? Its 19.95 Canadian list . .the last shipment I made overseas was in canadian dollars also . .. what currency do you deal in?
Old 04-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Advanced

I live in The Netherlands so the currency we use here are Euro's. A bottle of Z2 is 20,95 Euro which is about 25 US Dollar.

Here is a list of the prices we have to pay for the Zaino stuf...

Z1 17,95 USD
Z2 25,15 USD
Z3 25,15 USD
Z5 32,35 USD
Z6 19,15 USD

That is double the price you guys pay overthere, an shipping from Germany isn't exactly free either

Do you ship to Europe Homer2, if you do I think I know some people that would be interested
Old 04-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Racer

Dutch . .. distributors are supposed to sell with territories only . . . I have made the odd "out of the ordinary" shipment for special customers . .. . Thanks for asking . . .
Old 06-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question. I've read Zaino's literature but there is no mention as to what's the best way to accomplish the following:

Assume car is washed clayed. Also, assume car has some fine scratches and swirl marks.

No Z1 is needed because ZFX is going to be used for first layer.

Because there are scratches on the car do you start off with a layer of Z5 (with ZFX) first? If swirl marks/scratches still show, repeat? If repeat do you use Z6 in between layers?

And finally end with Z2 (use ZFX if time is critical).

Or can you start with any combination of Z2 and Z5?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Racer

OK - first suggestion . .deal with the marks.

If you have the ability - use a swirl/scratch remover - often needs a polisher.

If you wont be doing that - then try to hide them with multiple layers of Z5... keep going up to about 9-10 in total, because after that, you arent really changing anything any more . ..

Otherwise, many users will intermix a Z2 and Z5 sandwich . ..

And yes, its better to do the Z6 inbetween layers - BUT, if you dont - the paint wont come off , the neighbours wont know . . only you will . . . .

Dennis