California Car Duster: Do you use it? Ya know that mop thing on a stick?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
California Car Duster: Do you use it? Ya know that mop thing on a stick?

Do you use the california car duster or other product?

How do you keep your car clean in between washes?

I don't want to scratch the car, and have heard mixed things about this product

[IMG]http://store1.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1816_852851[IMG]

http://calcarduster.com/originalDuster.asp

please give us your advice
Old 11-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one, but have never used it. It says its safe on paint.

I use some other california products, Water Blade and Wash Mit.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Its another one fo those products you have to try and decide for yourself. "Is it safer to instant detail it, and rish marring with dirt entrapped in the MF, or is it better to sweep it with the CD, risking dragging those tiny bits of dust over the paint. I can find arguements for both....I used one before, I liked it but found myself using it when i probably shouldnt have.....Its retired now.
However there sure are nice to have if youve freshly sealed your car surface, and overnight it gets a real light layer of dust on it, perfect......
Old 11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Boy Genius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like using it on my dash and console, but I don't use it on the exterior of my car anymore for 2 reasons: 1) it was a lot cleaner when it was new, and 2) I can't be bothered to keep the car looking that great - the car's gonna get dirty, and when it gets dirty enough I'll take it for a wash.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Instructor

I have used a "Kozark" cloth. It is from Europe. It is a very soft colth with some chemical additive to attract dust. It was developed for furniture. It works well on dust. It lasts a long time - it is not washable. I dont see it very often in stores, but when I do I pick one up. It has never scratched my paint.

It is an alternative to the CCD.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Kozaks are very good also, and you CANT beat that smell.......The only fascet of the CD that has Kozak beat is the handle, its so hard to get to the center portion of my hood on my P/U !
Old 11-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey whats that little green arrow...
<-------------------- "Rep Power?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Its another one fo those products you have to try and decide for yourself. "Is it safer to instant detail it, and rish marring with dirt entrapped in the MF, or is it better to sweep it with the CD, risking dragging those tiny bits of dust over the paint. I can find arguements for both....I used one before, I liked it but found myself using it when i probably shouldnt have.....Its retired now.
However there sure are nice to have if youve freshly sealed your car surface, and overnight it gets a real light layer of dust on it, perfect......

PErhaps a good stratgy is to use both

ONLY ON A WAXED CAR:

1 use the CCD VERY lightly...just barely pulling the dust off of the car... (dont 'rub' particales into the paint)

2 use spot detailer to clean out 'spots' and debrie
i dont use spot detailer on the whole car...id rather just wash the thing!

these are just my ideas, can someome else chime in and tell me if these are good ideas?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:27 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Car Duster:
The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove pollen or light dust without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while your using it.

It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed

When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I've been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 11-16-2004, 06:18 AM

TOGWT

do you have any scratches on your car from using it?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use one to get the dust off only. I use it on the TL and a 02 530I. My cars stay waxed so I have not noticed any scratches.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:49 AM

i have it but only use once in awhile, it's more like a duster...doesnt really clean the car
Old 11-16-2004, 09:01 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerky
TOGWT

do you have any scratches on your car from using it?
I have a BRG (dark green) Jag and I've never seen scratches on any cars that I detail (regardless of their colour) that I can directly attribute to the cal duster

By applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while your using it.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Advanced

I think it's a great product. Especially useful when you wash your car and then there's pollen all over it the next day. Cleans it right up. Unless the car gets wet, a well waxed surface and the Cal duster keep it looking freshly washed.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Love my TL

I purchased a Cal duster a couple months ago and it worked great at first but it now leaves red lint on the dash when I use it. This is very noticeable with black interior.
Waste of money if you ask me.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Banned

i use it on my cars if they have been recently detailed very lightly, i also love the ccblade!!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Kollage is funn!

here's where i'd use it.....let's say i had a professional climate controlled showroom with a newly waxed car sitting in it.....i'd dust it with that.....but not if you drive it around and wash it after the first wax.

duster= safe to use...
what to really do=wash the car...my two cents
Old 11-24-2004, 11:19 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
I use it on my hot rod. The dark purple/blue is a dust f'ing magnet, so I use the CCD to dust it off at shows, i've actually only washed that car once, I dust it frequently or use a QD.

FYI, when you first get it, wrap it up in newspaper and change the paper every few days for a good month to suck up all the oils in it, otherwise it'll streak like crazy at first.

It's one of those products, the dirtier you get it the better it works.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:19 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by shawn744
what to really do=wash the car...my two cents

The duster is one of those tools to use when the car isn't needing a wash just a light dusting.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:20 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by rs808
I purchased a Cal duster a couple months ago and it worked great at first but it now leaves red lint on the dash when I use it. This is very noticeable with black interior.
Waste of money if you ask me.

I've probably gone through a dozen of these things and have never seen one lint. I'd call and get a new one. CCC is great w/ refunds.

And if any of you guys need a bitchin car cover, they have them. We have one for every car, even had them make me a custom one for the chop in my sub.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Drifting

I've had mixed results with the Cal Duster. It works if the car has been recently washed and waxed, otherwise it will scratch the paint if you've got a dark color like NBP. My previous TLS was NBP, and I did notice some marks from using the duster...and I know it's from the duster because of the direction I used it. Now, I've got Anthracite, and I never use the duster after the car sits for more than a few days after washing. The dust and pollen tends to stick after then, and using the duster will make marks from the dust unless you can practically blow it off. It's a product that must be used carefully. Anthracite doen't show the marks like NBP, but they are still there if you look carefully.