Best Speed Buffer? Cost Efficient?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Best Speed Buffer? Cost Efficient?

I've never used one so I don't know the first thing about it... but hey... If it works better, faster, and requires less elbow grease then I'm willing to look into it to save money for gas lol...

My car is white, and I live in TX So I'll wax two or maybe 3 times a year if I do it myself.

Right now I'm just looking for the best buffer to buy... I guess I want one that's powerfull, durable, affordable, and not real heavy so my mom could do it if I'm not around if that's possible...

I'm not a professional detailer, but I do want a good middle of the road or something... I've seen them for like $15 or less at walmart, but I don't want to buy a cheapo either...

Please let me know your experience as I've tried the search and I couldn't find a good link.

Jeremy
Old 09-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The overwhelmingly popular buffer for amateur detailers is the Porter Cable 7424/7336. Check out this link: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

I bought one at Lowe's for a little over $100 but you also need to buy pads so it's an investment.

Here are some reviews: http://www.autopia.org/reviews/censu...ails&itemid=72
Old 09-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Lowes for the PC, then shop for the pads.......You will also need a backing plate, as the one that comes with the Lowes 7336 is worthless, as well as the pad.....
Old 09-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you looking for a buffer that applies the wax on?

If you want a nice polisher, I really recommand the PC. Really easy to use and will not harm the paint.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Lowes for the PC, then shop for the pads.......You will also need a backing plate, as the one that comes with the Lowes 7336 is worthless, as well as the pad.....
Picked up the 7336SP from Lowes @ $100 then ordered Sonus SFX pad kit online for about $60.00. No turning back now.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Hey Vic, post a review on the PC after you've used it. I think it will help a lot of the folks who are apprehensive about making an investment on a tool and accessories. For me, it's a no brainer. Reduces the amount of time spent on cleaning and waxing, easy to operate amd the results are outstanding.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
) A Porter-Cable Starter Kit comprising-.
Porter Cable 7424
5” Backing Plate
1 Orange Light Cutting Pad
2 White Polishing Pads
1 Black Finishing Pad
2 Microfiber Towels
1 Packet of Snappy Clean
Pads manufactured by Lake Country.
Approx $225
http://www.autogeek.net
Approx cost $225 + S&H
JonM
Old 09-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Hey Vic, post a review on the PC after you've used it. I think it will help a lot of the folks who are apprehensive about making an investment on a tool and accessories. For me, it's a no brainer. Reduces the amount of time spent on cleaning and waxing, easy to operate amd the results are outstanding.
Using the 7336 is a breeze; if you are keen on using power tools, you won’t have problems. It only seems natural for this machine to evolve into an auto detailing tool from its roots as a polisher/ sander for woodwork. Great Idea! I should have picked this thing up years ago!

I got the PC and one of the best pad kits for even less than $200.

You have to get used to the weight and also the noise it generates. It may be a good idea to wear hearing protection if you are to work on a car for hours. One you get past the initial apprehension of using a new tool, then you won't stop!

I used the Sonus SFX Yellow pad with Meg’s SMR #9 and a spray QD (I used Meg’s FI #34 and some leftover Mother’s Showtime) then cleaned up the haze with a 50/50 alcohol and water mix using a MF cloth. My Mom’s black Accord which was really dull with swirl marks and scratches was my “practice vehicle” only ‘coz it really needed some work.

Just follow the steps on the posted website that shows “how-to’s” on a DA polisher and you can’t go wrong.

But the experienced folks are right: I don’t think you can damage the finish with this machine (unless you drop it on the hood) ‘coz of it’s movement (jiggling) and the ability to increase the speed simulates a normal human hand movement amplified several times. There is almost no heat generated because the pad does NOT stay in one place. Some panels needed 2 to 4 passes, and increasing the machine speed a notch before seeing any improvement but there definitely is an improvement (this is probably the best aspect of the machine). Some much deeper scratches still exist but I’m thinking it’s probably more of a job for the rotary to even out the finish. Perhaps I can do it with the PC but with a more aggressive pad and better polishers (I heard Meg’s #80/ #83 and the SSR line are pretty good stuff).

I continued with a Sonus SFX White pad using ColorX then finished it off with Klasse AIO using the Sonus SFX Blue finishing pad then hand buffing it with Eagle One WAUD with a MF towel and the car looked 10 times better than when I first started.

My only regret is not taking digital photos of my handy work but I’ll remember next time. And I know what’s next on my list: A Meg’s maroon pad and some DACP and perhaps a 4” SFX Spot pad kit! Wooohooo!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Thanks Vicman! IMO, the PC 7424/7336 is another example of a worthwhile investment. If you're anal about how your car looks, regardless of the make and model this tool is a definite must have. You will probably keep the PC longer than a you keep a vehicle. And for those of you still using elbow grease, give this tool a consideration. The PC will change your outlook on maintaining the look of your vehicle for years to come.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Instructor

I absolutely agree with what everyone is saying in this forum. If anyone is truly interested in detailing, then a high speed polisher is a must. With a polisher like a Porter Cable (or PC for short) it is possible to get results which are unatainable by hand. Beautiful, glossy, swirl free finishes are yours if you simply master the PC. While it is easy to pick up a PC from many places, obviously, that is just the base machine. You will want to look into pads and polishes. I have honestly tried pads from Excel, Lake Country, Etc, and I have not found a better pad than the Sonus line. If you are a noob at polishing, I would give thier DAS pad kit a try. For those of you who are more experienced with the PC... may I suggest the SFX pad kit. The superior foam in these pads will not detiorate when you run them over hood ornaments or the lettering on the back of cars (trust me I've tried). Pair these pads with the SFX polishes and you are good to go.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:08 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is all you need for $189/-

http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html