Best Buffer for the money

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buffer for the money

Hey everyone,
So the summer is around the corner and I think I want to buy a buffer/polisher/whatever they're called because I'm tired of waxing the car by hand and would like better results.

I don't have a set price range but I'd like something between $50-$80 ideally. I noticed most people get the Porter Cable and would like some recommendations as to what people think is the best in my price range or opinions on the Porter Cable in comparison.

Also, are cordless buffers any good? I don't need the ultra-best buffer, just something that is safe, works, and gets good results for the price.

Also, I'm a little confused about all the options for the Porter Cable and these backing plates and pads. Something simple and idiot-proof would be good...

Also, if anyone knows a good place to get these things at good prices I'd really appreciate it!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL
Hey everyone,
So the summer is around the corner and I think I want to buy a buffer/polisher/whatever they're called because I'm tired of waxing the car by hand and would like better results.

I don't have a set price range but I'd like something between $50-$80 ideally. I noticed most people get the Porter Cable and would like some recommendations as to what people think is the best in my price range or opinions on the Porter Cable in comparison.

Also, are cordless buffers any good? I don't need the ultra-best buffer, just something that is safe, works, and gets good results for the price.

Also, I'm a little confused about all the options for the Porter Cable and these backing plates and pads. Something simple and idiot-proof would be good...

Also, if anyone knows a good place to get these things at good prices I'd really appreciate it!
There really isn't anything comparable to the PC especially in the $ range you're looking at. The PC is a versatile machine; it has the ability to use various pads for paint correction, can be used to apply and remove a number of products and adjustable speed ranges. Buffers like Wen, Waxmaster & Craftsman are either of the two speed or single speed variety and the max OPM (orbits per minute) for these machines is about 3200 (PC is 6000).

What options for the PC are you referring to? As far as I know the PC is idiot proof. Yes, there will be an initial investment but it's well worth it and I don't think anyone can go wrong. Once you use one . . .
Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
2002 TL-S NGP

Hawhyen51 is right. There's nothing that really compares to a PC7336 or PC7424, dual-action, variable speed polisher. It's extremely easy to use and won't cause burn-in on your clear coat. It can be used with many different products and pads. It's extremely solidly built. Now, you can get them for just over $100 at places like Lowes. I bought mine through Griot's Garage (they are local here), but I paid more than most - I didn't realize you could get them at Lowe's as well. Look around for the best price.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Just dial 1911

Agree with the above. Save your pennies and get the PC.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone real recently got one for $109.00 at Coastal tools.....Save your duckets and do it right the first time.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got mine from Coastal Tools last week and came 2 days later. Used it over the weekend and love it. Penny well spent!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPoolinspOON
I got mine from Coastal Tools last week and came 2 days later. Used it over the weekend and love it. Penny well spent!
There ya have it.....
Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Racer

Thanks for the heads-up on Coastal Tools. Seems like the best price. Did you buy pads from them also?

Seems like they have a bunch for different applications (e.g.Wax and sealant applicator, and ultra and medium to fine buffing) Which do you all suggest for just waxing my car?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

no, I bought the pads from properautocare. I got Lake Country pads which I think are awsome. Your going to need to get a 6"backing plate as well so you can use the pads. If your just waxing your car all you need is a finishing pad.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Racer

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Properautocare seems like a good site. At least they describe all the different pads and what they're for which was what I wanted to know.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

Most of the online detail sites provide a description of the products they offer. They also have pad kits available as well as individual items. Good Luck and let us know how it went.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Racer

So I ended up ordering the P/C 7424 from Coastal tools. For $119 they include the 6" counterweight in addition to the 5" one that comes with the car and a 6" hook and loop backing plate (do these all have velcro backings?). I'm not sure how much variability there is in terms of the backing plates and if you guys think the one they'll include is bad I'll switch to the basic unit at $109 and buy it separately. What do you all think?

Also, Where do most of you guys get your pads that sells them for good prices? Should I get more than 1 of each type of pad? I just bought the machine alone so I could shop around for the pads separately.

I'm so glad to finish the school year and am looking forward to using it as soon as I get home to detail my car. I think I may buy the products I need and try it on my brother's Civic since the paint on it is has a lot of swirls and I won't cry if I do somehow mess up. Then I'll move onto the TL once I feel comfortable.

Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,852 Likes on 4,289 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL
So I ended up ordering the P/C 7424 from Coastal tools. For $119 they include the 6" counterweight in addition to the 5" one that comes with the car and a 6" hook and loop backing plate (do these all have velcro backings?). I'm not sure how much variability there is in terms of the backing plates and if you guys think the one they'll include is bad I'll switch to the basic unit at $109 and buy it separately. What do you all think?

Also, Where do most of you guys get your pads that sells them for good prices
? Should I get more than 1 of each type of pad? I just bought the machine alone so I could shop around for the pads separately.

I'm so glad to finish the school year and am looking forward to using it as soon as I get home to detail my car. I think I may buy the products I need and try it on my brother's Civic since the paint on it is has a lot of swirls and I won't cry if I do somehow mess up. Then I'll move onto the TL once I feel comfortable.

Thanks again!
Here you go:

http://exceldetail.com/

The End.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Racer

Figured I'd support the forum and since the prices were good, I ordered from Excel.

Ending up getting: (1) P2 Grey 6.75'' Finishing Pad (Level-1)
(2) P2 Blue 6.75'' Light Polishing Pad (Level-2) and (1)Propel Yellow Med. Cut Pad (Level-5) to try on my brothers car. I just realized it says you need experience so this might have to wait until I know what I'm doing since I don't want to marr the paint but figure for $7 I'd just get it for when I feel like trying.

Looking forward to trying them out
Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 AM
My Daily Driver

man, none of the lowes by me carry this. I'm so pissed......
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
man, none of the lowes by me carry this. I'm so pissed......
Lowes discontinued carrying them last year, best bet would be other online sources like Coastal Tool mentioned above and in numerous other posts. $119 + SH and includes the #6 CW and a hook and loop BP. $109 + SH includes #6 CW only. Or you can check online detail sites, they have complete kits available (PC, Pads, BP & Products).
Old 05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
My Daily Driver

cool....I'll have to look into that then.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Racer

Probably cheaper to get from an online place no matter what since you save on tax at least
Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
OG 3.x^7 rawr

Used it again yesterday on a old 86 GTI. Car looked like poop. After 4 hours...wow.....glass

The owner wanted to suck my.......after he saw it. He didn't think that the car would look like that. GLASS. Best $ spent this year!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

Do you guys recommend the "How to use 7424" DVD form someone who has never waxed a car either by hand or with a PC? Or are there enough instructions online to get by?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Warder45
Do you guys recommend the "How to use 7424" DVD form someone who has never waxed a car either by hand or with a PC? Or are there enough instructions online to get by?

Thanks.
I honestly think you can get by with the online videos like this one but there is so much more info on the DVD other than using a PC. This thread has a few links to several instructional DVDs.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Instructor

I got my PC a couple of years ago and used instructions that I got by reading this forum and I have had nothing but SUPERIOR results. Just this last weekend, I did the neighbors car that was heavily oxidied and ended up with a mirror finish. (aside from the dings and stuff that only a complete repaint would repair.) I have found that the PC is pretty much fool proof, the main things to remember is to keep the PC on the car while it is on, keep the pad as flat as possible on the car. When polishing, start at 4 to spread the polish, then to 5 to start working it, and then to 6 that really does the work. Keep it moving and up and down at 4, left to right on 5 and back to up and down at 6 (or vice versa). If you pick it up off of the surface while the head is still in motion, you are going to have more sling than you would have thought possible. Good luck and happy detailing!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Advanced

I believe Lowes stop carry the 7336SP Porter Cable but they do stock a different newer model I believe. I stopped in and they said they can order any Porter Cable product in their catalog.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
What brand of polish / wax are you all using with the PC. I tried Mcguiars deep crystal polish and it seemed to dry out pretty quickly. What is recommended to get that "glass" finish?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shalooby
What brand of polish / wax are you all using with the PC. I tried Mcguiars deep crystal polish and it seemed to dry out pretty quickly. What is recommended to get that "glass" finish?
I personally use the following process and products:
1. Hand wash and dry
2. Inspect for bugs and tar and remove. Make sure all of the nooks and cranies are cleaned up, make sure that the underside of the rocker panels are clean.
3. Clay
4. Preform a final inspection making sure that all tar and bugs are removed, that everything is clean and ready for polishing.
5.Polish w/ PC and Poorboys SSR polishes (using least aggresive polish/pad combo needed to accomplish desired results) For instance, you have a heavily oxidized hood, I would probably start with PB SSR2.5 and an aggressive pad. Or you may have a micro-scratches (swirl marks), with this, I would start with SSR 2 and a medium aggressive pad. If in one of these examples, I was not getting rid of the blemish, I would move to a more aggressive combo. Then after I have gotten rid of or significantly deminished the blemish, I would work my way down in polish/ pad aggressiveness. For example with the oxidized hood, if the first pad/polish combo worked to my liking, I would then move down to SSR 2 and a medium pad, then when that is done, move to SSR1 and a light pad. I keep my car in good shape, so normally I just need to use PB SSR1 and the lightest pad I have above a finish pad. Think of this process like you are sanding a piece of wood, you start out with the more aggressive sandpaper and then move down to less and less aggressive until you have the wood as smooth as possible. The process that I was instructed to use with my PC is to start at speed setting 4 on the PC to spread the polish, then to 5 to work the polish for a bit, then Speed setting 6 to finish it up and break down the polish. 6 is where the work is really done. After the polish has broken down, wipe down with MF towel.

Once the polishing is done, then apply your sealant/wax. I personally use 4* UPP as my sealant, extremely happy with the results.

Following this process, a car turns out very glassy and very SLICK. This is MY process, others may have different ideas and processes.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanx for the reply. I was using the Meguiars Crystal polish and found out that its not really designed to use with a PC.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

It CAN, its just needs a little assistance. The Burgundy bottles put out by Megs is primarily designed for DIY's by hand. Not a real enthusiast product, just an average product for the average Joe!