Anyone used the Mr. Clean auto wash/dry machine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
M to da DZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone used the Mr. Clean auto wash/dry machine?

My uncle has used it on his Chrysler Pacifica and said he was skeptical but that it actually works. Use the wash mode to wash and wipe as usual, then use the dry mode to rinse all the car and let the water sit. he couldn't believe his eyes, no water spots at all. anyone used it on the cl finish? what's your experiences with it?
Old 07-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've also heard it's good, I bought the kit but haven't used it yet. I'll let you know.........
Old 07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Advanced

I've used my kit twice now. I live in Calgary, Canada, about an hour's drive east of the Rockies with some of the hardest water on the planet here. The product does what it claims....no spots!

Before using it I communicated with reps for the product in the US and I'll share some of their cautions. Specifically, they say their product does NOT work well with Zaino or other heavily polymer based polishes or waxes. This is because the combination of the Mr. Clean soap and PUR filter rinse trains the surface of your car to roll water off of it whereas Zaino and other similar finishes trains your surface to hold onto the water and cause it to bead up. That is why if your car has a Zaino finish, you'll likely still get some residual water spotting and the thin residue film may be more apparent. However, the product does not strip any existing wax or polish off, it just adds a transparent film that allows the water to sheet off. My current vehicle is waxed (water beads on it if I hose it down), but, it dries completely spot free. It appears the more expensive and more polymer based finishes, as I mentioned before, are the ones having a problem with the product.

The reps insist that you must follow the directions. In other words, start with a clean sponge or wash mitt, free of other soap residue. Do not let your sponge sit in a wash bucket. Personally, I've found that spraying very little soap on the cars surface and spraying soap directly onto the sponge works best. Then just sponge the dirt off. You use a lot less soap that way. If the sponge gets dirty, hose it off with the rinse cycle, then reapply soap. Finally, after really rinsing the car well, just go over the car thoroughly with the final PUR rinse. I leave mine sit wet in an underground garage overnight and it's completely dry and spot free in the morning. Any spots you do see are likely a spot you either missed when sponging or more likely when you are spraying the fine PUR rinse mist.
Methodically and slowly going over the car with the final rinse pays off.

As I've seen some complain about, I too notice the car windows get abnormally dirty looking after driving in the rain. Interestingly though, the body of the car seems to remain cleaner than if I was using my old wash. Rewashing the car cleans everything off easily or if you don't have time, simply squeegee off the windows.

I'd prefer to use a soap bucket and my own wash and just their PUR filter final rinse, but, they said that I'm defeating the way their product was intended to be used and I'd likley run into residual spotting problems. I have to say that if you follow their directions to the letter, it does work.

Final thought: If you are the type of person that is over the top, anally retentive about your car's finish and you regularly floss your teeth by looking into your fenders, then you probably won't like it as the residual film and the product's less than perfect performance with high end finishes like Zaino will frustrate you.
On the other hand, if you absolutely despise having to dry off a car after washing it and hate having to do inside the doors, trunk and hood lids and can live with a really not noticeable film and slightly dirtier windows after it rains, I think you'll find it means significantly less car cleaning time spent. You'll also likely have to switch to a less expensive wax or polish that will work OK with the Mr. Clean product.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mattdaddyz
My uncle has used it on his Chrysler Pacifica and said he was skeptical but that it actually works. Use the wash mode to wash and wipe as usual, then use the dry mode to rinse all the car and let the water sit. he couldn't believe his eyes, no water spots at all. anyone used it on the cl finish? what's your experiences with it?
I use it on my 98 3.0. Works good, IMO. The only things is that you have to make sure you get every area on the rinse. If you miss a spot, it won't dry as quickly and will leave spots.

Last weekend, I used the AutoDry and the Zanio'd the car. Looks great!
Old 07-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Banned

I helped my ex wash her Jetta and man did that thing waiste soap. \
We used up the complimentary bottle of soap it brought and waisted it on
one wash. I prefer to wash my car myself.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Banned

That stuff is for lazy people. I think I can wash my car manually just as fast.
That's only me though.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Banned

I'm never gonna use it. i have a tried and true method, so i'm gonna stick with that.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Joisey Commuter

I used this for the first time last weekend and it works as advertised. The film it leaves is actually a surfactant that repels water. Same stuff in bathroom cleaning products to keep soap scum and mildew away.

My car badly needs to be waxed, but ole Mr Clean really helps keep the paint looking nice in the meantime.

One complaint I have from the experience: the mitt or sponge gets brutally dirty. Without a bucket of soapy water to help remove this accumulated dirt, my sponge was toast. Had to pitch it because simply spraying with the soap and rinse water did almost nothing to help clean it. No idea how to rectify that part of the process since they don't want you to use a separate bucket.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:12 AM
M to da DZ

Originally Posted by scoob5555
One complaint I have from the experience: the mitt or sponge gets brutally dirty. Without a bucket of soapy water to help remove this accumulated dirt, my sponge was toast. Had to pitch it because simply spraying with the soap and rinse water did almost nothing to help clean it. No idea how to rectify that part of the process since they don't want you to use a separate bucket.
Same here, and they actually state that in the instructions under the FAQ. It says it's because Mr. Clean is so awesome that it gets all this dirt off and makes your car cleaner. I have no idea if that's true, but I do know that my car stays cleaner, longer when I wash with Mr. Clean. My microfiber mit also gets dirty as hell too.