Anyone tried #83 Meguiars

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried #83 Meguiars

Has anyone here tried Meguiars #83 swirl remover with a yellow heavy duty cutting pad to remove swirls? Pls list your comments here

Is it much better than #80?

thank you
Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Meg #83 is more aggressive than #80, and it remove swirls very effectively more than #80. However, some paint might become little haze or micro-marring after using #83. It is recommend that after using #83, use #80 to remove any haze to make your car "wet" look due to the fact that #80 has polishing oils. Generally, #83 is for removing of moderate to heavy swirls, while #80 is used to remove light to moderate swirls.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Instructor

i have a carbon gray TSX that had swirls ranging from moderate-severe. I actually used DACP (#83) with a yellow pad on it yesterday and was impressed with the results. some places had some micromarring, but i followed it up with Gold Class Wax and the finish now looks flawless all over.

What i learned with DACP is that you need to be patient while using it and keep working it in even when it appears dry, working it in till it's almost clear. I used the 5.5 speed on the Porter Cable.

You'll want to use the least abrasive polish to achieve results, so you may want to try #80 first, and if that doesn't do it, then step up to #83.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I would not use a cutting pad + PC with the #83 (DACP). You will create more problems than your have now. A polishing pad with the #83 is the best way to go. Never polish until the DACP is dry! The DACP should turn approximately clear when all of the mild abraisives have broken down completely. Speed 5 on the PC is optimum for the DACP. Following with #80 is preferred since it contains rich polishing oils. If your finish looks great after the #83 then you can also follow with a sealant.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Pro

re

this thread was created because ive already done a polishing job on my car with #80 and the swirls practically all came back even with a PC which was very frustrating when you spent 5 hours detailing your car. The thing is for sure that i will not polish when product seems to be dry because im scared of burning the paint, id rather stop polishing when it has hazed already and wipe with an mf. I was thinking of going with #83 and a yellow pad for a deeper reach and then continue with #80, optimum scellant and #845

do you guys think its a good way to go for a long lasting beautiful finish?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:44 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by italian_spak
this thread was created because ive already done a polishing job on my car with #80 and the swirls practically all came back even with a PC which was very frustrating when you spent 5 hours detailing your car. The thing is for sure that i will not polish when product seems to be dry because im scared of burning the paint, id rather stop polishing when it has hazed already and wipe with an mf. I was thinking of going with #83 and a yellow pad for a deeper reach and then continue with #80, optimum scellant and #845

do you guys think its a good way to go for a long lasting beautiful finish?
I would use the #83 with a polishing pad (speed 5) and see how it turns out. You may have to do a couple of passes. The PC will only do so much. If you learn how to use a rotary then you can get rid of almost any defect.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Instructor

a good tip is to just do a test section, say on half of the trunk lid, and do all the steps you plan to do to that one area, then drive it out in the sun and see if your steps/process works. if it does, then do the same to the rest of your car. if not, try another product until you find what works. that way you don't waste your time on the whole car with something that doesn't even work. i actually wasn't happy with #83 the first time i used it (used my gf's car as a guinea pig of course), but after reading more about how to use it and giving it a 2nd chance on my car, i'm quite impressed with what it can do. good luck!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually used DACP (#83) with a yellow pad on it yesterday and was impressed with the results. some places had some micromarring, but i followed it up with Gold Class Wax and the finish now looks flawless all over.
That is pretty harsh, and Im leary of results if you went right to a protectant. Are you referring to the 8006 Yellow Megs pad? Thats not a cutting pad.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Instructor

yea it was the 8006 megs yellow pad. what kind of pad is that? the guy at the detail store recommended that combo and it seems to have worked well.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

8006 megs yellow pad is the correct pad to use for #83 and #80. It's a polishing pad
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Pro

re

Is it possible that you can end up burning your paint using a pc with a yellow or white pad??

thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LacViet
8006 megs yellow pad is the correct pad to use for #83 and #80. It's a polishing pad
I beg to differ. The 8006 yellow Megs pad will not support DACP. Its way to light of a polishing pad. I would go with something a little less dense like an orange pad. 83 is by far a better product when using a rotary, and is actually kind of difficult to use with a PC. It can be done, but there are far better and easier products, that work more efficiently with a PC.
80 on the other hand is an excellent PC products, but many people are fooled by the results. 80 does contain fillers, which stated above, diminished over a short period resulting in reappearing swirls. I would rather go with 80 and a Orange light cut or Yellow med. cut pad (not the 8006).
The only way your going to burn your paint with a pc is to run out of lubricants while polishing, even at that, its still difficult.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Excel: I'm sure you have lots of detail experiences and use what work for you in your business. Since I just an amateur and don't have a rotaty and don't know how to use one, I found that #83 using with #8006 yellow Megs pad work great for me with PC. I know there are so many products out there, but what I learn from this link http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=2965 from Mike P. works for me really well so I stick with it. As Mike Phillips usually said
Find something you like and use it often. If you find a product you like, then apparently the results look good in your eyes, if you use it often, then your finish will always look great. It's only when you begin to neglect or abuse the finish that it goes down hill.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Lac, i totally agree, if it works for you, then thats all you need. Im just wish to broaden the range of products. You may find something works better, and easier for you!
To expand on Mikes philosophy, "Find something thats easy to use, and provides excellent results. You may find less of a need to use it often!"
Ive always been of the belief that if you find something easy to use, you'll reach for it more frequently then the product that may provide slightly better results, but thats is more difficult to use.

Heres a good example of a difficult situation, made easy with products that are easy to work with.....
Please dont consider this an attempt to persuade you to buy anything else then what makes you happy. Thats not my style as an Acurazine vendor......
Old 11-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Pro

re

if a paint surface is burnt (turned white) is there anything to recondition it or it absolutely has to be repainted?