Anyone have experiences with polishing Misubishi's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Anyone have experiences with polishing Misubishi's?

Well, the gf was getting kind of jealous of the work that I've been putting into my 09 TSX. Well not really work, just weekly wash with ONR with Meg's quick detailer afterwards (I have UPPS but ill use up the Megs first), and application of UPP/DWG. So maybe shes been getting jealous of the look of the car and the looks I've been getting.

She has an 07 BLACK eclipse thats gotten door dings and a door repainted due to some guys belt buckle when they broke into the car. Theres a bunch of baked on bug guts along with tons of swirls and handfuls of scratches. Also a bunch of little nicks and chips from sandblasting (she lives kinda in the country so the roads arent super clean). So I thought, how about I apply my new found knowledge from all the researching from AZine on her car. Its also an excuse to buy a PC.......shhhhh .

I'm kind of nervous as this will be my first time polishing. I already jumped the claying hurdle this weekend and it was alot easier than I thought it would be. I was amazed at what a claying can do. We just ran to the local autozone and picked up the Meg's kit. I clayed everything from the front fenders forward after a good washing. The only thing that the clay wasnt able to pick up was some really smushed bugs. I just wiped the rest of the car down with the Meg's QD/clay lube and she was already amazed. I told her it gets better....

Will the polishing take care of the ground in bugs or should I pick up some bug and tar stuff?

Heres the combo I've seen most people use and plan on ordering/polishing:

PC 7242
Orange LC pad w/ Optimum Compound
White LC pad w/ Optimum Polish
Black LC pad w/ Optimum PoliSeal
Black LC pad w/ UPP and DWG

Any other tips on the combo and for a newb at polishing? I've watched most of the youtube vids on polishing. I'm just afraid of messing something up big time.

Last edited by thunderbt3; 07-14-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on how bad the scratches are, you might need a yellow pad. Do you really need PoliSeal if you are going to apply upp and dwg? I was a first time UDM user two days ago
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I read that the poliseal cleans up the oils left behind by the OC and OP. I'll probably spray with IPA before the UPP goes on anyway.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Even if PS did remove the OP oils, its leaving its own behind. I wouldnt recommend using the PS, then the UPP. You could go to a Nuba afterwards, but im uncomfortable with a synthetic after PS.
If it was me, I would use the PS, then either Optimum Spray wax, or another Nuba product, or..............
Polish it, then use the UPP...........Call it a day.
Ive been using the OP/UPP combo for a long time, and have found it to be a match made in heaven.....
Old 07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
dont forget to clay and polish your tsx as well...brand new cars need that kind of attention too...

using a udm or pc couldnt be easier....
Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Excel: Thanks for the tips. Should I skip the IPA wipedown as well?

Vinnier6: The TSX will get its claying during its winter prep detail. I've also spotted a couple odd small scratches but I'll spot polish those out along with a couple chips once i fill them back up with clearcoat.