any PC users?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004 | 10:56 AM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
any PC users?

any PC users on the board? What products are you using?
Old 07-25-2004 | 12:21 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Originally Posted by CLpower
well if its a pc, you better get a good anti-virus suite.

seriously, what are you asking about?
Old 07-25-2004 | 02:40 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Porter Cable orbital buffer
Old 07-25-2004 | 05:17 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Porter Cable orbital buffer
Old 07-25-2004 | 10:29 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by virus7
well if its a pc, you better get a good anti-virus suite.

seriously, what are you asking about?
a little more specific?
Old 07-25-2004 | 10:30 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

porter cable? nope not me, but i use a pc
Old 07-29-2004 | 09:26 PM
Instructor

yes, I use a PC 7336

I have a PC 7336 and I love it. I wonder how I got along this far with out one. I use the Einszett line of polishes and waxes. I get all my stuff from Detailers Paradise.com . They are great people and very helpful with any question you can throw at them. They have a PC bundle that includes a PC 7336 and all your Einszett polishes. Plus free shipping with orders over $100.00 Dont for get a good supply of pads. At least two or three of each one, yellow, orange, white and black. I did my wifes TSX with Einszetts Metallic Paint Polish (red can) with a white pad and followed it up with Einszetts Glanz Wax by hand. The paint is flawless. I also didnt let the dealer detail it upon delivery. That is where all your swirl marks and micro marring come from in the first place. Those kids back there do more damage to paint than anything.

Let me know if you need more info on what I use and how. I'd love to help steer you in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:23 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by fdl

hey asshat, why the fuck would you roll your eyes at me?
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

My guess is like 90% of the others here ... typically PC = Personal Computer (yes we are all geeks). Good topic here actually, I don't have any of the products, but my step-dad loves stuff from Porter Cable.

By the way ... easy on the asshat and f-bomb with your peer a-tsx mega-mod staff ... m kay?
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:32 AM
Team Owner

Maybe because you used the acronym PC, which 99.999% of us thought meant personal computer? And to top it off Porter Cable is a brand. Thats like asking if we use Craftsman.

Old 07-30-2004 | 01:16 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

FWIW - "PC" is about as common on the car detailing sites as 6MT & 5AT are here.
Old 07-30-2004 | 01:17 PM
Master in Science

Just sold it. Shipped yesterday... lost $21 on the deal.
Old 07-30-2004 | 02:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jlukja
Maybe because you used the acronym PC, which 99.999% of us thought meant personal computer? And to top it off Porter Cable is a brand. Thats like asking if we use Craftsman.

If you visit any car detailing sites, PC is a very common acronym for Porter Cable. And Porter Cable is to consumer range random orbital buffers as Xerox is to copy machine, or kleenex is to tissue. Except unlike in those circumstances, literally almost everybody who is an enthusiast about car detailing (as opposed to professionals) seems to be using either the PC 7336 or 7424 to buff their rides. I understand that you may not personally be accustomed to the acronyms, but his statement was perfectly legitimate to address those who regularly visit car detailing forums, like autopia.org.
Old 07-30-2004 | 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KingV
If you visit any car detailing sites, PC is a very common acronym for Porter Cable. And Porter Cable is to consumer range random orbital buffers as Xerox is to copy machine, or kleenex is to tissue. Except unlike in those circumstances, literally almost everybody who is an enthusiast about car detailing (as opposed to professionals) seems to be using either the PC 7336 or 7424 to buff their rides. I understand that you may not personally be accustomed to the acronyms, but his statement was perfectly legitimate to address those who regularly visit car detailing forums, like autopia.org.
Considering what you said, and the fact that this is under the "wash & wax" category, and the fact that I'm a noob when it comes to detailing, I was out of line for criticizing his use of the acronym. However, coming in with profanity, calling people names, all in response to a little eyerolling smiley was out of line. So my STFU comment still stands.
Old 07-30-2004 | 03:26 PM
Team Owner

duh...:sqnteek:

I hope by PC you don't mean a computer...

If you mean that orbital buffer thing, never used one before.
Old 07-30-2004 | 06:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

those that use them knew exactly what I meant
Old 07-30-2004 | 06:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by slo007
Just sold it. Shipped yesterday... lost $21 on the deal.

why did you sell?
Old 07-30-2004 | 06:53 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Billiam
FWIW - "PC" is about as common on the car detailing sites as 6MT & 5AT are here.

exactly
Old 07-30-2004 | 06:54 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Considering what you said, and the fact that this is under the "wash & wax" category, and the fact that I'm a noob when it comes to detailing, I was out of line for criticizing his use of the acronym. However, coming in with profanity, calling people names, all in response to a little eyerolling smiley was out of line. So my STFU comment still stands.

sarcasm doesn't get by you now does it?

fuckin noob :P
Old 07-30-2004 | 07:29 PM
Master in Science

why did you sell?
I took it for a test drive on my family's 8-yr old 4Runner and scratched the paint in a couple places. I was on the lowest rpm and put very little to no pressure, yet still left a mark while polishing. Since my TSX is black and the paint is very finicky, I decided to sell it. I paid $123 for it and sold for $102 on eBay.

I also found it to be very heavy (6 lbs), which makes it easier to scratch the car.
Old 07-30-2004 | 07:38 PM
Team Owner

sarcasm doesn't get by you now does it?

fuckin noob :P
And what about your post is supposed to indicate you were being sarcastic?
Old 07-30-2004 | 07:58 PM
teh Senior Instigator

I took it for a test drive on my family's 8-yr old 4Runner and scratched the paint in a couple places. I was on the lowest rpm and put very little to no pressure, yet still left a mark while polishing. Since my TSX is black and the paint is very finicky, I decided to sell it. I paid $123 for it and sold for $102 on eBay.

I also found it to be very heavy (6 lbs), which makes it easier to scratch the car.

odd, I usually use my polishes on speed 6 and push down as hard as I can to feel the machine start to bog

What kind of pads where you using? What product?

and 6 lbs is heavy? I hope you never have to use a rotary
Old 07-30-2004 | 07:59 PM
teh Senior Instigator

And what about your post is supposed to indicate you were being sarcastic?

I forget you guys don't know me well over here
Old 07-31-2004 | 01:34 AM
Racer

you must have done something horribly wrong. The PC is very forgiving. On the slowest speed, I think I'd be hard pressed to polish out anything to a noticeable degree, with practically any pad and any polish, save maybe the wool pad and a very heavy cut compound. Did you not wash the car first, or did the pad have dirt on it? I'd be hardpressed to think of another way to actually damage your paint.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:58 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by KingV
you must have done something horribly wrong. The PC is very forgiving. On the slowest speed, I think I'd be hard pressed to polish out anything to a noticeable degree, with practically any pad and any polish, save maybe the wool pad and a very heavy cut compound. Did you not wash the car first, or did the pad have dirt on it? I'd be hardpressed to think of another way to actually damage your paint.

yea, you definately wouldn't see any or much benefit at anything under 3. Hell I apply waxes at 4
Old 11-28-2005 | 11:25 PM
Team Owner

Just bought a PC 7336, info needed.

I just reread my posts in this thread. Boy, was I a or what? I just hope Scott doesn't flame me again. But anyways,

Just picked up the PC 7336 tonight. Two weeks ago I washed, clayed, polished, and waxed my TSX by hand and it was just waaaay too much work. I figured I needed some tools. So, I'm a total novice when it comes to using the PC. Can anyone point me to a set of instructions for beginners on the proper way to use my new toy? I plan to use it on my 2 yr. old PWP TSX and on my wife's 6 yr. old silver Civic. Any hints or what best works with these colors are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2005 | 01:59 AM
Intermediate

Autopia.org
Old 11-29-2005 | 02:26 AM
Intermediate

Dude if you scratched paint with a pc you definately did something wrong. By your post I can tell you probably didnt know what you were doing. I use it all the time especially on my NBP TSX. A pc is a must have for any car enthusiast. Did you use the white pad that came with it? If you did that was part of your problem that pad sucks. I suggest that you first learn the basics about auto detailing, paint evaluation, proper pad and polish/wax selection etc. and then buy another pc believe me if your car is black like mine you will most definately need one.
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Wow, this thread is over a year old.......

Anyway, jlukja the autopia link is a good one. You might also check this one. Better to be overinformed than underinformed. If you're referring to what products work best with silver, it's kinda hard to recommend something without knowing the condition of your surface. Before getting to that, I would highly recommend you clay the surface of your vehicle prior to applying any polish or sealant/wax with the PC. As far as products are concerned, for general cleaning and removing oxidation, I would use a paint cleanser like 4 Star UPC, Klasse AIO or PB Pro Polish. If you have swirls, depending on the severity, use PB SSR1, SSR2, Optimum Polish, or ClearKote VM.

The type of pad you will be using will have a factor. Click here for more info on pads. BTW, there are different manufacturers and the color coding of pads are different. But the overall result should be the same.

After all that is done the surface should be sealed. There are many sealants available such as 4 Star UPP, Klasse SG and PB EX-P. Finally you have the option to top with a carnuba wax such as S100, Natty's, P21, or Optimum CW. You should also do a search in the W&W forum to see what other folks are using.
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:48 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Now I know why scott's hated me all this time. It all goes back to a little
Old 11-29-2005 | 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Wow, this thread is over a year old.......

Anyway, jlukja the autopia link is a good one. You might also check this one. Better to be overinformed than underinformed. If you're referring to what products work best with silver, it's kinda hard to recommend something without knowing the condition of your surface. Before getting to that, I would highly recommend you clay the surface of your vehicle prior to applying any polish or sealant/wax with the PC. As far as products are concerned, for general cleaning and removing oxidation, I would use a paint cleanser like 4 Star UPC, Klasse AIO or PB Pro Polish. If you have swirls, depending on the severity, use PB SSR1, SSR2, Optimum Polish, or ClearKote VM.

The type of pad you will be using will have a factor. Click here for more info on pads. BTW, there are different manufacturers and the color coding of pads are different. But the overall result should be the same.

After all that is done the surface should be sealed. There are many sealants available such as 4 Star UPP, Klasse SG and PB EX-P. Finally you have the option to top with a carnuba wax such as S100, Natty's, P21, or Optimum CW. You should also do a search in the W&W forum to see what other folks are using.

Thanks for the very good info. And thanks to exceldetail for his pm. I see that using a PC opens up a whole new world for me. I've been using claybar, Mequires Crystal Polish, and NXT wax by hand. Good results on my PWP TSX but not so good on the Silver Civic. Which leads me to ask:

The Civic is parked outside. On the side that faces the sun the finish (even after the clay, polish, wax) seems to have this white milky/cloudy look to it. Will using the PC with the Crystal Polish get rid of that or can you suggest another approach.
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Man, CLpower is a DICK...

Congrats Jan! HERE is a great read that will get you started
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joerockt
Congrats Jan! HERE is a great read that will get you started
Bookmarked
Old 11-30-2005 | 06:44 AM
Intermediate

My usual steps with using my PC are starting with claybar (if needed), Meguires Premium paint cleaner (also if needed), Megs #9 and finish up with Blackfire.
Old 11-30-2005 | 07:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice combo Bate...........
Mine would be SSR 2.5, followed by Optimum Polish, then seal with UPP
Old 11-30-2005 | 07:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Nice combo Bate...........
Mine would be SSR 2.5, followed by Optimum Polish, then seal with UPP
Interesting. I may have to give Optimum Polish a shot. Megs #9 has been pretty good for me but im not overly happy with it as the only polish I use. Would it be a good product to use after migs #9?
Old 11-30-2005 | 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bateman
Interesting. I may have to give Optimum Polish a shot. Megs #9 has been pretty good for me but im not overly happy with it as the only polish I use. Would it be a good product to use after migs #9?
Try the 4 Star UPP or PB EX-P, if you're looking for just a nuba, try PB Natty's or OCW. Bate, how's the #9/Blackfire combo work out? Can't get BF in Cali because it exceeds VOC limits.

Last edited by Hawhyen51; 11-30-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2005 | 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Can't get BF in Cali because it exceeds VOC limits.
FYI, same with UPP. They are updating the version to be in compliance. (Although I still have quite a bit)
Old 11-30-2005 | 12:31 PM
Safety Car

No kidding? I didn't know that, Patrick. Does the UPPS fall into the same category?