Another interior care product question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004 | 11:48 AM
Advanced

Another interior care product question

Thanks for all your help with my leather questions. I've decided to give Lexol a try. Now I have a few more questions.

1) Can you please confirm that the steering wheel is leather?

2) Vinylex or 303? Since I'm already getting Lexol it would be easier to just get Vinylex, but I would like some opinions on why 303 protectant is better or why Vinylex is bad? They are both protectants right?

3) Is Vinylex or 303 safe to use on...
- The driver side dash (its different than passeger side)?
- The airbag/horn area on steering wheel or is that leather also?
- The back side of the driver and passenger seats where the pockets are or is that leather also?

4) Basically I'm going to use it on any black rubery/plastic surface. Any areas to avoid besides leather, radio screen, and crome panels?

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2004 | 05:52 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

It is personal preferecce but I will just point out a few things I've found with both products.

-303 is a protectant and the vinalex is a cleaner as well as a protector....

-Vinalex has a slight sheen to it, 303 is perfectly Matte when it drys.

-The 303 works on everything from leather to vinal to plastic to rubber, vinalex as well but I'm not sure about vinalex and leather, either way using the Lexol will be a much better choice.

I use both regulary... but I do have access to alot of cars....I usually use vinalex if it is dirty or stained... if not I will wipe down with a wet microfiber and then use the 303.

Don't forget both products work on the exterior and engine compartments too!
Old 10-22-2004 | 07:08 PM
Advanced

Just a word of caution when it comes to a plastic protectants on leather.

This is one of those times when you should not follow the directions on the label. Not
only does the dressing make the leather shiny and slippery, but it also closes the pores in the leather. How the vinyl protectant manufacturers can get away with this amazes me. I've seen more than enough cars where a plastic protectant has been applied to leather seats and allowed to bake in the sun, thus ruining the leather beyond repair. I'm sure the manufacturers of the vinyl dressings know this, yet continue to include that in their directions in order to increase sales.

You have a choice so use a leather product on your leather and plastic products on your plastic.
Old 10-22-2004 | 07:35 PM

Yup, that's what I said..

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom

-The 303 works on everything from leather to vinal to plastic to rubber, vinalex as well but I'm not sure about vinalex and leather, either way using the Lexol will be a much better choice.

303 may not be the top choice for leather products, granted, but I assure you it will never "ruin" the leather "beyond repair".

It says directly on the bottle of armor all, do not use on tonneau covers or leather... I would believe Armor All could potentially harm leather seats, considering Armor All is very popular that could be the reason you have seen so many cars where plastic protectant has ruined the leather, it just wouldn't have been caused by 303. The 303 is an industry leading protectant for tonneau covers, and it will not dry up or turn grey (gray).
Old 10-23-2004 | 12:30 AM
Advanced

Okay thanks guys, can anybody answer these questions for me though?

1) Can you please confirm that the steering wheel is leather?

2) Is Vinylex or 303 safe to use on...
- The driver side dash (its different than passeger side)?
- The airbag/horn area on steering wheel or is that leather also?
- The back side of the driver and passenger seats where the pockets are?

I would like to know because I need to decide if I should use Lexol or Vinylex/303 on these areas.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2004 | 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kindred97
Okay thanks guys, can anybody answer these questions for me though?

1) Can you please confirm that the steering wheel is leather? use Lexol

2) Is Vinylex or 303 safe to use on...
- The driver side dash (its different than passeger side)? yes 303 or Vinalex
- The airbag/horn area on steering wheel or is that leather also? I use Lexol
- The back side of the driver and passenger seats where the pockets are? yes 303 or Vinalex

I would like to know because I need to decide if I should use Lexol or Vinylex/303 on these areas.

Thanks
Answers in bold above...