Am I doing this right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I doing this right?

I basically wash my car once a week every friday afternoon after school and usually wax it with NXT every 3-4 washes right after I wash it. Is there anything else I should be doing? ALso how often can i use NXT a couple weeks ago i did it 2 weeeks in a row cause I love the smoothness and shine.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
2.2CL owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i find that when i use 3 step MEGUIAR process on my 97 black CL

It looks awesome......i do this anytime i feel my car needs it

clay the car first
then use cleaner wax
then polish
and then carnuba wax

that works good man

and then jus do the tires and the interior
and its a rap
Old 11-04-2004, 03:30 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I typically wax my car and my girls car every 3 weeks, however i've been doing durability testing w/ her car the last 4 months. (did 8 weeks of NXT, 8 weeks of Zaino, about to do 8 weeks of RejeX)

You are doing great, let's go over what kidn of products you are washing and drying w/
Old 11-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

What really pisses me off is that certain panels are in worse condition then others

For example my doors are perfect...But my back bumper is soo damn faded its not even funny u can barely see ur reflection I'm guessing it was repainting cheeply a long time ago And the truck is very ruff

But basically i use nxt wash, sponge, california blade, and a towel to take off any excess drips.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
what kind of sponge? What kind of towel?

Sounds like the car needs a claying and polish
Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea i was thinking of getting the mother clay bar...I've never polished it before...What do u recommend for that? I just use a regular sponge from pep boys? and a microfiber towel or a beach towel.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:41 PM
2.2CL owner

Originally Posted by r0dxx
Yea i was thinking of getting the mother clay bar...I've never polished it before...What do u recommend for that? I just use a regular sponge from pep boys? and a microfiber towel or a beach towel.
dude do the 3 step Meguairs process

first clay it down w/ the quick detailer
then use scartch X if ya got scraches
then use polish

and then carnuba wax

cleaner wax...polish....carnuba wax

try that out....u'll see wat iam sayin'
Old 11-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I basically wash my car once a week every friday afternoon after school and usually wax it with NXT every 3-4 washes right after I wash it. Is there anything else I should be doing? ALso how often can i use NXT a couple weeks ago i did it 2 weeeks in a row cause I love the smoothness and shine.

Do two coats of NXT then top it off with a Carnauba wax. it is better to do 2 thin coats than one heavy one. The 2 coats are to make sure that the car has an even and uniform amount of the product. Also, the polymers in NXT need time to cure, so space the 2 coats at least about 12 hours apart for the polymers to do it's job and bond properly.

Try ColorX on the bumpers as the fading may just be contaminants. ColorX is good at cleaning the surface prior to the NXT. ScratchX for stubborn scratches.

I did an older black Honda with 2 coats of NXT then a coat of Meg's #26 High Tech Yellow Wax and the awesome shine lasted for four weeks with touch ups of QD in between.

If you do your steps properly, you won't have to wok on them so hard later on 'coz the finish will stay great looking longer.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

So doing 1 coat of NXT is wrong? I should do 2 smaller coats?

Also what if i waxed my car everyweek what would happen?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:21 AM
"You my boi blue!"

So doing 1 coat of NXT is wrong? I should do 2 smaller coats?

Also what if i waxed my car everyweek what would happen?

From what im reading on Autopia, NXT has very mild cleaners and very very light abrasives. I wouldnt recommend waxing once a week because of all the rubbing that would be on the paint, more chance of putting swirls etc. The max i would do with NXT is every two weeks. What im currently doing is putting one coat of NXT then using S100 every other week or so. S100 has no cleaners or abrasives so it is safe to use many times. 1 Coat of NXT should be ok...the second coat would basically be covering the spots or areas you may have missed the first time. I just put on NXT on Monday and plan on putting a coat of P21S (same wax as S100) on tonight (Friday). IMO, I will use NXT 1 time a month and P21S/S100 twice or less in between.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Burning Brakes

What 01blue said was bang-on. The second thin coat would just to make sure the whole car is covered. Many say the synthetic polymers on the NXT shines the clearcoat better than most polishes. The Carnauba is just to lock-in and prolong the shine. With P21S, the shine would last even longer than the Meg's #26. And it goes on like butter.

Weekly waxing with carnauba would just cause streaks on dark colors due to the layering of the product. Cleaner waxes can be done weekly 'coz the abrasives will just remove and re-apply the same product again. But why do the extra effort if you can easily use booster wax or WAUD achieving the same results?

I believe there is a point of diminishing return after the 2nd or the 3rd coat of the NXT. The third (and subsequent) one(s) would just remove the previous coat that was already there and will not add anymore shine. I'd say 3-4 weeks on the 2 coats of NXT and Carnauba, with booster wax or WAUD/ QD in between. You can feel the surface if it actually needs re-waxing, (for me it's when the spray wax/QD wouldn't shine anymore).
Old 11-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks man I appreciate all your advice. Yea I'm just worried cause my car is a 97' black paint and it BAKES outside all day in the damn florida sun. I'm gonna just do NXT once a month and today im going to buy the QD spray to use in between. Does it matter if I never polish the paint? And where can i pick up the P21S that you talk about?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks man I appreciate all your advice. Yea I'm just worried cause my car is a 97' black paint and it BAKES outside all day in the damn florida sun. I'm gonna just do NXT once a month and today im going to buy the QD spray to use in between. Does it matter if I never polish the paint? And where can i pick up the P21S that you talk about?
r0dxx, Since you're always parked outdoors, you might want to consider using a sealant first before applying NXT/ Carnauba if you want to keep the finish looking good longer. Sealants like Klasse AIO/SG, Wolfgang, Zaino, and Meg's #20 Polymer will provide long term protection (at least 6 months or more) on top of a cleaned and prepared finish as opposed to short term (just a few weeks) with just polish and wax alone (even NXT).

I did my Mom's 2001 Black Acura with ColorX, KlasseAIO then Meg's #26. Besides the wet look that is very noticeable, she noted blue metallic specks on the black paint that she did not realize was there all along.

P21S is also S100 that can found in motorcycle shops. It's a pure Carnauba and can be on the expensive side. Paste wax is usually better and longer lasting than liquid versions, even on the same brand and type.

With your Black 97, I would suggest the following:

-Clay (you probably already did)
-Clean surface with ColorX or ScratchX (try the least expensive first)
-Apply sealant like Klasse AIO or Meg's #20 (optional) OR
-Apply 2 coats of NXT (you have this already)
-Top off with a PURE Carnauba (Meg's #26, #16, P21S or 3M Perfect-It)
-Touch up with a QD spray (Quik Detail, Showtime or Meg's #34) or even Eagle One WAUD after each wash. With a nice MF cloth

** remember to use a "nickel-sized" amount of product per panel and wet it with a QD first **

You black finish will always look WET.

Also, you might want to invest in a random-orbit polisher. It will save you tons of time and won't hesitate trying stuff on your car. It can also help you "repair" the work if you happen to over-apply the product. It also ensure that you have applied an even amount on the panel and can easily spread it around. I use an old Black and Decker 6.5" I bought from Sears a few years back and it made my life much easier. I have yet to step-up to the PC buffer but I guess that would be unevitable.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:49 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by 01bluecls
From what im reading on Autopia, NXT has very mild cleaners and very very light abrasives. I wouldnt recommend waxing once a week because of all the rubbing that would be on the paint, more chance of putting swirls etc. The max i would do with NXT is every two weeks. What im currently doing is putting one coat of NXT then using S100 every other week or so. S100 has no cleaners or abrasives so it is safe to use many times. 1 Coat of NXT should be ok...the second coat would basically be covering the spots or areas you may have missed the first time. I just put on NXT on Monday and plan on putting a coat of P21S (same wax as S100) on tonight (Friday). IMO, I will use NXT 1 time a month and P21S/S100 twice or less in between.

the amount of cleaners in NXT are so mild they are barely noticeable.

Heard it from the mouth of one of the chemists at Meguiars. S100/p21s is a great topper for NXT though, that's what I have on my sub

Old 11-05-2004, 09:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

I also have the same combo on my acura
Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Vicman17
r0dxx, Since you're always parked outdoors, you might want to consider using a sealant first before applying NXT/ Carnauba if you want to keep the finish looking good longer. Sealants like Klasse AIO/SG, Wolfgang, Zaino, and Meg's #20 Polymer will provide long term protection (at least 6 months or more) on top of a cleaned and prepared finish as opposed to short term (just a few weeks) with just polish and wax alone (even NXT).

I did my Mom's 2001 Black Acura with ColorX, KlasseAIO then Meg's #26. Besides the wet look that is very noticeable, she noted blue metallic specks on the black paint that she did not realize was there all along.

P21S is also S100 that can found in motorcycle shops. It's a pure Carnauba and can be on the expensive side. Paste wax is usually better and longer lasting than liquid versions, even on the same brand and type.

With your Black 97, I would suggest the following:

-Clay (you probably already did)
-Clean surface with ColorX or ScratchX (try the least expensive first)
-Apply sealant like Klasse AIO or Meg's #20 (optional) OR
-Apply 2 coats of NXT (you have this already)
-Top off with a PURE Carnauba (Meg's #26, #16, P21S or 3M Perfect-It)
-Touch up with a QD spray (Quik Detail, Showtime or Meg's #34) or even Eagle One WAUD after each wash. With a nice MF cloth

** remember to use a "nickel-sized" amount of product per panel and wet it with a QD first **

You black finish will always look WET.

Also, you might want to invest in a random-orbit polisher. It will save you tons of time and won't hesitate trying stuff on your car. It can also help you "repair" the work if you happen to over-apply the product. It also ensure that you have applied an even amount on the panel and can easily spread it around. I use an old Black and Decker 6.5" I bought from Sears a few years back and it made my life much easier. I have yet to step-up to the PC buffer but I guess that would be unevitable.

NXT is a sealent
Old 11-05-2004, 09:54 PM
teh Senior Instigator

? And where can i pick up the P21S that you talk about?

go to a harley dealer and buy S100, same shit, $10 cheaper
Old 11-05-2004, 10:53 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Old 11-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Every 4 weeks Meguiars---

Hi tech wash (big dirt)
NXT wash (to get the rest)
clay bar
Medallion Premium Paint cleaner
Fine Cut
Scratch X
Swirl Remover
Show Car Glaze
Medallion Premium Paint Protection
Hi Tech Yellow Wax
NXT wax
NXT protectant for upkeep

Every 2 weeks Meguiars----

NXT wash
Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner
Show Car Glaze
Medallion Premium Paint Protectant
NXT wax

Every week Meguairs----

NXT wash
NXT wax

Inside Meguiars----every week

NXT cockpit shine
Medallion Premium Leather Cleaner/Conditioner
NXT Glass Cleaner

Trims---Meguiars every week

Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner/Conditioner (rubber seals)
Gold Class Trim Detailer (hard trims)
NXT All metal polysh (exhaust/liscence plate fram/grille)
High Endurance Tire Gel or NXT tire Insane Shine
NXT Tire Cleaner

Meguiars brush detailing kit
Meguiars Orbital buffer (3 different pads)

Viking---
Sponge - two sets
Foam Applicators pads

Good o'l days work.....
Old 11-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLpower
NXT is a sealent
CLpower, if NXT is a sealant, how come it needs to be re-applied as often as wax? As far as I understood the product, it has a small amount of cleaners, but it cannot be layered and the longevity of it (by itself) is comparable or less than some of the more popular waxes and polishes.

Also, if NXT is applied after the Carnauba, like the Meg's #26, for instance, wouldn't there be bonding issues? The polymers in the NXT need to "cure" and bond to the paint at least 12 hours as what the pros at Meg's state. If there is a layer of Carnauba protecting the finish, and Carnauba in essence washes off after several washes, then it will take the NXT with it.

They even classified NXT as a wax here.
Just curious.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:39 PM

Vic....From what my rep at Meguiars told me about NXT is that you can only enchance the feel,shine,longevity of the product by applying both. I'm suppose to be getting the NXT paste sometime this month to try out. But I like the liquid version better I think.

after applying the show car glaze, I apply the medallion premium paint protection then the hi tech yellow wax...and seal it all in with the NXT (see above). If I wish to go through this hell all the time, as my rep put it...it would definetly show results.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RaptorCLS
Vic....From what my rep at Meguiars told me about NXT is that you can only enchance the feel,shine,longevity of the product by applying both. I'm suppose to be getting the NXT paste sometime this month to try out. But I like the liquid version better I think.

after applying the show car glaze, I apply the medallion premium paint protection then the hi tech yellow wax...and seal it all in with the NXT (see above). If I wish to go through this hell all the time, as my rep put it...it would definetly show results.

Hmmm. NXT paste! I wonder if that would last longer than the liquid version as other waxes in paste form do compared to their liquid version. I would want to try that and top it off with #16 and see how it goes thru the winter.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:33 AM
teh Senior Instigator

CLpower, if NXT is a sealant, how come it needs to be re-applied as often as wax? As far as I understood the product, it has a small amount of cleaners, but it cannot be layered and the longevity of it (by itself) is comparable or less than some of the more popular waxes and polishes.

Also, if NXT is applied after the Carnauba, like the Meg's #26, for instance, wouldn't there be bonding issues? The polymers in the NXT need to "cure" and bond to the paint at least 12 hours as what the pros at Meg's state. If there is a layer of Carnauba protecting the finish, and Carnauba in essence washes off after several washes, then it will take the NXT with it.

They even classified NXT as a wax here.
Just curious.

NXT should not be applied AFTER a carnauba, it should be applied before. And yes it is a sealent. Personally, I don't need to reapply it that often, I choose to. NXT lasted a good 10 weeks on my girls accord. Everyone gets different results w/ this product for some reason, for some people it lasts months, for some only a few weeks

Look on the box of NXT, I'm pretty sure it says synthetic polymer. Just cause they said it's a wax, doesn't really mean it is, 90% of the general public doesn't know the difference.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:33 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Hmmm. NXT paste! I wonder if that would last longer than the liquid version as other waxes in paste form do compared to their liquid version. I would want to try that and top it off with #16 and see how it goes thru the winter.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be getting some before release, I'll post my results
Old 11-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok guys tommorow im going to wash my car...and after use the Meguiars QD spray...If my car is smooth after that means the wax is still good right? Or is that not a good way to tell?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:44 PM

Ok guys tommorow im going to wash my car...and after use the Meguiars QD spray...If my car is smooth after that means the wax is still good right? Or is that not a good way to tell?

My theory...take a towel and toss it at the hood....if it flies off the other side, then its smooth. If this is the case, then you got good protection still on there.

BUT...the QD is mainly just to upkeep your wax before wash...example...if u drive all day and come back...you QD. After wash, should wax it. Instead of QD, get FI. Lasts longer.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Banned

If its not perfectly smooth, with no imperfections and no swirls...you aint done.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:20 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Well the general accepted rule of thumb about determining whether there is still protection on the car is seeing if water beads on it. If there is no wax/sealant protection left then water will pool up on panels and somewhat soak in, instead of beading or sheeting off. Slickness is another indication that others use, but doesnt mean if the paint isnt slick that there is no protection at all....I have felt cars that arent slick but when it rains, they still bead a good amount. I have used P21S on my moms car a few months back, even though it definately lost a lot of its original slickness it still beads like crazy!

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Suzuka Master

sorry to sound like a detailer but what exactly does a car that beads water look like? Just little tiny drops of water? Instead of big puddles? PICS?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Basically beading should look like this...

I borrowed this off of www.Autopia.org. If you havent been to that website than GO NOW!!!! All detailing info can be found there.

But bottonline beading on the car doesnt mean the water all has to be absolute perfect sized beads throughout, they just have to be there....think of a glass of ice cold water outside during a hot summer day...the glass "beads water" on the outside.

Next time you walk through a parking lot after or during when it rains, you can tell which cars have wax on them and which dont.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks bro I jus wasn't sure. Ya my car always beads like that

Now that you sad that I want it to rain so I can walk around my neighborhood and see who keeps up there car.

Im curious to see what my moms car does when wet, it hasnt been waxed since she got it and its an 03.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:14 AM
"You my boi blue!"

Glad I could help...about the rain walking thing....you will be surprised how many cars out there dont bead anything at all!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Im No Superman

damn, i wonder if i can use any of the products you guys are talkin about to get the little ghost left over from when i took off my emblems in the back.. its SOOO slight.. if u take a few steps back you cant see it, only when your close ;\
Old 11-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01bluecls
Well the general accepted rule of thumb about determining whether there is still protection on the car is seeing if water beads on it. If there is no wax/sealant protection left then water will pool up on panels and somewhat soak in, instead of beading or sheeting off. Slickness is another indication that others use, but doesnt mean if the paint isnt slick that there is no protection at all....I have felt cars that arent slick but when it rains, they still bead a good amount. I have used P21S on my moms car a few months back, even though it definately lost a lot of its original slickness it still beads like crazy!

Hope this helps.
Beading is one visual cue that usually tells that a new layer of product needs to be applied. Good products temd to bead smaller beads and then "sheath" the water off when the beads stick together with capillary action.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there is no more protection, but sometimes mean that there is just too much gunk on the finish to keep water from beading.

After a good wash and QD, the "slickness test" that I do is run my fingers along the lines and if it starts to "grab" and no longer smooth, the it's time to wax again. I find that using WAUD (wax as U dry) in between as opposed to simply QD or FI extends the duration by a week or so, depending how hard and frequent it rains outside.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:49 AM

I love it after a good detailing. I went to work and it ended up raining. When the sun came out, everyones car looked like crap when mine came to the shine I had before the rain. I keep getting asked if I went to wash my car after the rain stopped. One word baby, Meguiars (at least for me).
Old 11-11-2004, 02:27 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Originally Posted by h2o-pr00f
damn, i wonder if i can use any of the products you guys are talkin about to get the little ghost left over from when i took off my emblems in the back.. its SOOO slight.. if u take a few steps back you cant see it, only when your close ;\

You might try a claybar and some good polish to get that out. Then apply wax, you should be golden.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:20 AM
2.2CL owner

Originally Posted by h2o-pr00f

i had the same problm.

just do use cleaner wax.....polish....and carnuba wax.....

u should've done it.....when u took 'em off.....

try it out anyway........it should work.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:23 AM
2.2CL owner

yo rOdxx.......use the detailer spray after rain.......or if u got dust and dirt on ur car.

dont use it after a carwash

matter fact try this..........i did this to my car today came out real good.

after u wash the car

try meguiars QUICK WAX.......that worked real well for me.

and its real easy to apply and take off, so u can put a few extra coats.