After Zaino Z2, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Zaino Z2, what next?

I've been reading up on a bunch of posts in multiple message boards regarding washing and waxing. After everyones input in different threads, I've come to a conclusion that Zaino Z2 would be my choice of polish. However, no one mentioned what to put on after that? For those that use Z2, what kind of wax do you use after that or can you just leave it? Also, as for claying, generally now long does it take and is it something I "should" do? I bought my car in June of this year and have not done anything yet except wash it.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:58 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Application Sequence
1.Car wash concentrate- Z-7™ Show Car Wash
2.Detailer’s clay- Clay Magic® (Blue) for light to medium surface contaminants.

Machine polish abrasion choice is dependant upon condition of paint surface
3.Machine polish 1-
4.Machine polish 2-

5.Machine polish 3- Z-PC™ Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover
6.Polymer sealant- Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
6a. Plus- ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
7.Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray (between each ‘layer’)
8.Last step product (LSP)- Z-8™ Grand Finale Spray Seal
JonM
Old 08-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a couple of layers of Z2, I top it off with S100.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

I am also confused on this, after a couple of coats of (after Z1) Z2, can I just leave it as that or do I have to (or should I)follow up with something.

Also, if I put a few coats of z2 on, after I did a coat of Z1, and then a month later wanted to put more Z2 on, do I put anohter coat of Z1 on first?

thanks for your help!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Toms TeeSX
I've been reading up on a bunch of posts in multiple message boards regarding washing and waxing. After everyones input in different threads, I've come to a conclusion that Zaino Z2 would be my choice of polish. However, no one mentioned what to put on after that? For those that use Z2, what kind of wax do you use after that or can you just leave it? Also, as for claying, generally now long does it take and is it something I "should" do? I bought my car in June of this year and have not done anything yet except wash it.
Z2 pro is a very good choice but keep in mind it's part of a paint protection system. You can use it by itself but it won't show it's true potential without properly preparing your paint before you apply it.

Step #1: wash your car thoroughly. If you have carnauba wax on the paint already, Zaino recommends using Dawn dishwashing soap (yes, the kind from the grocery store) to remove it completely.

Step #2: clay your paint. Depending on how contaminated your paint is, this should take about an hour. This is a very important step IMHO as it really gets your paint clean and very smooth, allowing the Z2 pro to adhere properly. I'm sure you've run your hand over the paint of a freshly waxed car at a carshow and it's perfectly smooth. Claying will get it perfectly smooth.

Step #3: Normally, you might want to polish your paint with some kind of abrasive paint cleaner but since your car is relatively new, I doubt you'd need to do this. BTW, Zaino is called a "polish" but it doesn't have any cleaning abilities at all so it's really mislabelled IMHO. It should really be called a sealant.

Step #4: Apply Z2 pro. Now if you only have Z2 pro, then you can only apply one layer in a 24 hour period. If you bought ZFX with it, then you can mix that with Z2 pro and put up to three layers in a 24 hour period. Z2 pro gets shinier and shinier as you put more and more layers not to mention the increased protection.

Step #5: Apply Z6 or Z8 if you bought one or the other. I highly recommend either one of these sprays as they are very useful after regular car washes when you don't need to wax. They add that "just waxed" look and feel. Z6 is very good but Z8 is better but more expensive.

Step #6: You could stop here. Your paint should look fantastic by now. However, some feel that Zaino has somewhat of a "plastic" look. Some have even referred to it as a "Saran wrap" finish. I've put a "topper" of S100 carnauba wax on top of Zaino and it does add depth to the finish. One caveat: Zaino shouldn't be applied on top of a carnauba wax like S100 since it will not bond to it well, severly reducing its longevity. Therefore, if you top it with a carnauba wax, you would have to wait until the wax is worn off before you could apply more Z2 pro.

Good luck and make sure to post some pictures when you're done.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yakuza70
Z2 pro is a very good choice but keep in mind it's part of a paint protection system. You can use it by itself but it won't show it's true potential without properly preparing your paint before you apply it.

Step #1: wash your car thoroughly. If you have carnauba wax on the paint already, Zaino recommends using Dawn dishwashing soap (yes, the kind from the grocery store) to remove it completely.

Step #2: clay your paint. Depending on how contaminated your paint is, this should take about an hour. This is a very important step IMHO as it really gets your paint clean and very smooth, allowing the Z2 pro to adhere properly. I'm sure you've run your hand over the paint of a freshly waxed car at a carshow and it's perfectly smooth. Claying will get it perfectly smooth.

Step #3: Normally, you might want to polish your paint with some kind of abrasive paint cleaner but since your car is relatively new, I doubt you'd need to do this. BTW, Zaino is called a "polish" but it doesn't have any cleaning abilities at all so it's really mislabelled IMHO. It should really be called a sealant.

Step #4: Apply Z2 pro. Now if you only have Z2 pro, then you can only apply one layer in a 24 hour period. If you bought ZFX with it, then you can mix that with Z2 pro and put up to three layers in a 24 hour period. Z2 pro gets shinier and shinier as you put more and more layers not to mention the increased protection.

Step #5: Apply Z6 or Z8 if you bought one or the other. I highly recommend either one of these sprays as they are very useful after regular car washes when you don't need to wax. They add that "just waxed" look and feel. Z6 is very good but Z8 is better but more expensive.

Step #6: You could stop here. Your paint should look fantastic by now. However, some feel that Zaino has somewhat of a "plastic" look. Some have even referred to it as a "Saran wrap" finish. I've put a "topper" of S100 carnauba wax on top of Zaino and it does add depth to the finish. One caveat: Zaino shouldn't be applied on top of a carnauba wax like S100 since it will not bond to it well, severly reducing its longevity. Therefore, if you top it with a carnauba wax, you would have to wait until the wax is worn off before you could apply more Z2 pro.

Good luck and make sure to post some pictures when you're done.
Thanks for all that. Just another couple of questions. Since my car is only 2 months old, do I really need to apply ZFX/Z1?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Toms TeeSX
Thanks for all that. Just another couple of questions. Since my car is only 2 months old, do I really need to apply ZFX/Z1?
The purpose of ZFX is to make Z2 pro or Z5 cure quickly so you can apply another coat immediately after the first. It also acts like the Z1 polish lock, forming a stronger initial bond with the paint. You don't need to use both just one or the other - but you do need to use it if you want the full lasting protection of Z2 pro. I suppose you could skip either but, like I said, you wouldn't get as strong a bond with the paint so it won't last as long.

If you're up to doing a lot of research and reading, check out www.autopia.com It's a site with forums to discuss detailing. There's a plethora of information that will boggle your mind but it's a great place to learn.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Instructor

wow, a lot of numbers. First off, Zaino isn't the end all be all. Menzerna, Sonus, and 1z all have great polishes, as does 3m, malco, and a lot of others. The trick is to find out which polish works the best for you. As long as you follow the wash, clay, wash, prep (defect removal, polish, restore) and then adding a last step product (wax or sealant) you'll be fine. Don't pay attention to hype, don't buy what people tell you to. Just go with what you think works best, and you'll be have success and be happy with the final results!