50mph Wind+Desert=Sand Blasting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50mph Wind+Desert=Sand Blasting?

Hi,

Hoping you can offer some insight on preventive measures and remedies for a desert dweller. I'm in Palm Springs for the next 3 months and my new silver TSX is taking a beating when the local winds whip up a 8 hour sandblasting session. I've got sand in all sorts of crevices, and the worst part is watching sand being blasted into my shiny new car.

Am I being just paranoid about possible damages, or will the sand actually remove my paint/clear coat?

I can put more wax on, but will that help? And how do I clean my car? Clay bar it so I don't have impreganated sand in my paint?

Please help!

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you considered a car cover?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:56 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by penumbra547
Hi,

Hoping you can offer some insight on preventive measures and remedies for a desert dweller. I'm in Palm Springs for the next 3 months and my new silver TSX is taking a beating when the local winds whip up a 8 hour sandblasting session. I've got sand in all sorts of crevices, and the worst part is watching sand being blasted into my shiny new car.

Am I being just paranoid about possible damages, or will the sand actually remove my paint/clear coat?

I can put more wax on, but will that help? And how do I clean my car? Clay bar it so I don't have impreganated sand in my paint?

Please help!

Thanks!
Strong Winds or Desert Dust Storms:
Gales or strong winds and desert dust storms can buffer the car cover causing surface marring, wind blown sand, dirt or grit if it gets between the paint surface and a wind buffered cover will cause surface scratches. To avoid this use a Dust Stop™ as a secondary cover, this tight fitting cotton fleece lined material will protect the surface, then use a Weathersheild™ as the primary cover for weather protection. Both of these covers are made of a breathable material so moisture or condensation will not be trapped between the covers and the surface

Two-cover system:
During high winds or prolonged storage the use of this system will avoid paint surface marring from the cover being buffered by high force winds (Hurricanes)

1. Dustop TM Four layer cover with maximum dust protection and its soft inner layer protects paint from marring
2. WeathersheildTM - single layer construction, primarily for intense sun environments and long-term storage provides optimum protection from water, dust, tree sap, while providing long-term UVR protection and maximum weatherproof protection from a multi-layer breathable fabric.

[Which would you prefer;] advice that comes from actual experience {or an opinion....?}
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Can you park on the leeward side of a building or large vehicle?