Sponsored by:

Wiring Accord Fog Light Button with Non-OEM Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 163 Posts
Wiring Accord Fog Light Button with Non-OEM Harness

Hey guys,

So I've had angel eyes installed on my TL for quite some time now and I used a wiring harness that I bought on Amazon to get the job done. Here is a link:
Amazon Amazon

I never really liked the stupid push button that came with the harness. It looks tacky and non-OEM, so I figured it was time for a change. I am using a Honda Accord fog light switch and plan to make a custon decal for the face of the button and repaint it. However, I want to make sure that it works properly first.

I am trying to install the Honda Accord Fog Light switch in my empty button space with the existing wiring harness. All seems to be working properly, except that the Green indicator light is constantly on . It does not turn on/off as the angel eyes turn on/off.

I did a lot of researching and cant seem to find the right answer. Here is my current wiring setup:

It may be hard to see, but the amazon wiring harness that I purchased has two LEDs on the push button, one Green and one Red bulb. The Red bulb stayed on (even when the car was off) until the button was pushed. Then the green LED would then turn on as the angel eyes were activated. As soon as I pushed the button again (to turn off the angel eyes), the RED bulb would come back on and the Green bulb would turn off. Hopefully, that makes sense.

Side Note: I checked for continuity and Pin 3 and 4 match with the positive and negative terminals of the blue bulb. This makes sense and hence why I had to pull the positive and negative leads from the VSA light.
Side Note: I checked Pin 2 for continuity and it matches with the positive terminal of the green (i.e. indicator bulb). This makes sense to me, because it seems like the green bulb should only turn on when power reaches Pin 2. I could not locate the source of the negative terminal of the bulb though.

Does anyone have any idea why that stupid green bulb is constantly on? It's driving me nuts lol. Any feedback would be sooo sooo much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
pin 4 on the accord switch is supposed to be red with black stripe wire
pin 3 on the accord switch goes to red wire on vsa switch

Accord switch pin 4 -------> vsa switch pin 3
accord switch pin 3 -------> vsa switch pin 4

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 10-17-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
pin 4 on the accord switch is supposed to be red with black stripe wire
pin 3 on the accord switch goes to red wire on vsa switch

Accord switch pin 4 -------> vsa switch pin 3
accord switch pin 3 -------> vsa switch pin 4
Hmm, that seemed odd to me, due to the fact that the VSA Pin 3 is positive and the VSA Pin 3 is negative. These match the polarity of the bulb terminals on the fog light switch and when I wired it that way, the fog light bulb was lit when I turned on my interior lights. Regardless, I tried swapping them and nothing changed. The green indicator bulb was still constantly on. What was odd though is that the fog light bulb remained on when I switched Pins 3 and 4. Either combination worked.

After further investigation , I figured out the problem. The blue and white wires had to be switched. It appears that the blue wire is actually the trigger wire and the white wire is actually the positive lead. So now, here is setup:

Pin 1: White Wire (Positive from Harness)
Pin 2: Blue Wire (Indicator from Harness)
Pin 3: Red/Black Wire (Postie from VSA)
Pin 4: Red Wire (Negative from VSA)
Pin 5: Black Wire (Ground from Harness)

The fog light switch works correctly now
Old 10-21-2017, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I was cleaning my car today, so I figured I would take a picture of my final product.

Last edited by wusty23jd; 10-21-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Glad you figured it out.

Bookmark this page in the future: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...h-help-938187/