Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tinting questions and recommendations in SouthBay area

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:31 PM
3GTLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tinting questions and recommendations in SouthBay area

Hi, I have several questions regarding window tinting and also would like to get some recommendations for places in the San Francisco South Bay area.

Before anyone thinks it, I have searched about it and I have gone through 300 threads related to tinting. All the information that I have found is several years old so I'd like to get something more recent.

Originally, I wasn't planning on getting my windows tinted but I am getting more and more concerned about the leather baking in the summer and I don't think I'll be able to condition the leather every week.

Here are my questions questions:
1. All the information that I have gathered suggests that I need to use non-metallic tint in order to not have any problems with the navigation signal. A lot of people recommend "ceramic" tint. Is "ceramic" tint a type or a brand? If it is a type, could someone recomment a brand of "ceramic" tint that won't mess with the navigation?
2. On my old car, the tint on the back window slowly started getting blurry due to the window defroster melting it ever-so-slightly every time I used it (at least, thats what I think was happening since I don't remember the tint being blurry when it first went on). Has anyone had similar problems on the TLs?
3. What percentage tint have people in the Bay area gotten and how much problem have they had with the police? On my old car, I have 5% on the back and 15% on the front (it has a camaro, so no back side windows) and I only got a ticket once.
4. I keep reading that people are having problems where the mokeskin keeps getting wet when it rains, even though it is on the inside of the car. If I end up getting the tint, I don't want it getting scratched so I will definitely be getting the moleskin, as well. Have any of you been able to figure out where the water is coming from and been able to fix the problem?

Thanks for all the info and recommendations for shops.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
7th Gear

I have ceramic tint, got it a year ago.

The place I got it done at was near San Diego
http://www.mrtintman.com/automotive.html

The ceramic tint is Pinnacle. That website has the transmission characteristics for your referece.

Ceramic tint, or the brand that I got, is not as dark as the metallized films. The darkest (and the one that I got) is 15%. I love it.

I'm not in your area, but I have yet to be ticketed. The moleskin does get wet and I get streaks here and there. It's not horrible, I just have to wipe down the inside of my window every once in a while.

Tint shops charge a lot for the moleskin. I recall seeing a thread for a DIY kit that costs $30 and doesn't require you to remove any screws.

My back window has not gotten foggy or weird from using the rear defrosters. Also note that often ceramic tint is a lifetime warranty!

Hope some of this helps
Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
I got my tint done in San Jose and the place did a very good job. I had 5% done on both the front and rear windows. I will give you the name of the place if you want. What ever you do DONT go to a place that tints cars in parking lots, the place has to tint the car inside to avoid getting dust under the tint. I paid $250.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I got my tint done in San Jose and the place did a very good job. I had 5% done on both the front and rear windows. I will give you the name of the place if you want. What ever you do DONT go to a place that tints cars in parking lots, the place has to tint the car inside to avoid getting dust under the tint. I paid $250.
Yeah, I would apreciate it if you could give me the name of the place. Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
1. Any type of tint thats not metallic will be fine.
2. To avoid any problems with your tint, go with a shop that has a lifetime warranty on labor and the tint itself. Also get a shop that has been doing it for a long time, years. You dont want them to say its a lifetime warranty but go back 2 years later and have the business not exist anymore.
3. I had 30% in the front and I drove out to the bay twice in the year that i have owned my car. I never got a ticket except one of the days i drove out, CHP pulled me over near pleasenton. So im guessing CHP especially in your area are quite harsh on that. I would go with something lighter in the front, 50 or lighter and go as dark as you want in the back. Its not too hot in the bay so you dont need tint to protect your car from the heat too much but the tint in the front and back will both provide 99% UV protection to protect the leather. Which i think is more important.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Acuras Only in

I went to Pleasanton for my tint even though SJ is closer to me ... this is the third car I got tint wondows from them so I'm hooked ... lol ... PM me if you want the name ... but I did see one user posting negative comments about this particular shop though ...
Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Hi speed, if you could pass along your vendor's info to me as well. Need to get the tint done before summer rolls around.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 PM
6th Gear

I used a window tinting company a month back. Did 5% in the back and 35% in the front. I would recommend using them. They'll come to your house, but they need a garage to do it. They're name is Majestic Plus Window Tint at http://www.window-tinting-san-diego.com

For what its worth..I paid $234..wasn't a ceramic, but a real good carbon.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Best Image Tint in San Mateo does a good job and their prices are really GOOD!