Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount Valentine One, with Remote Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to mount Valentine One, with Remote Display

Just wondering what you other Valentine One owners are doing with respect to placement of your detector, and, if you have one, the small remote display.

I have tried clipping the detector itself to the driver's side visor, with the remote display attached to the cigarette-lighter power supply. The cable, which I hook behind the rear-view mirror, dangles in front of the navigator screen, which is kind of annoying. But perhaps what is worse is that the display is well out of my line of sight.

I'd like to have the display somewhere more in my line of sight while driving, but I don't want to mar my TL's beauty with a permanently attached piece of velcro.

I do like the idea of not having the detector itself right in the middle of the windshield.

So I am wondering what others have done.

Thanks.
Andy W.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Pics to follow...

Well, I got the first stage of my V1 install done yesterday - the mounting of the V1 itself.

My mounting options considered:
The V1 has to be mounted up high, with as clear a view out of the back as possible.
The V1 should not intefere with the driver.
The V1 should be removeable (when parking car in bad neighborhood)

With this in mind, I decided that the best place to mount it was just to the right of the rear-view mirror. The passenger can still flip the visor down (just not all the way to the glass.)
NOTE: due to the limited space up there, when the passenger lowers the visor, they block the rear-view of the V1.

I looked around for a way to mount this, and finally decided on a Pro.Fit LoBoy universal mount.
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/loboy/
The circular part sticks to the windshield (on the shaded area behind the rear-view mirror) and I took the visor-mount and epoxy'ed it to the square cellphone mounting part.

The V1 is now held securely, has good visibility, and is pointing in the right direction.

I do need to hard-wire it in, by running a telephone cable along the headliner and down the pillar. Probably a weekend project at some point soon.

As to the display remote; I haven't figured out where to put that yet. The guage cluster is not easy, due to the small circles. Possibly on the steering column in front; but basically I have not yet decided.

I was also looking at getting an inV1si-mirror, but they're kinda expensive, and would end up being RIGHT NEXT TO the detector anyway - kinda ruining the point.

Lastly, I am thinking of putting the volume/power remote in the blank panel next to the VSA button. Having said that, the V1 is very easy to reach, and I may just skip that step.

Like I said; I will post pictures later, right now I'm just trying to get a clean install going.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
nickpoore,

Cannot wait to see your pics posting. Thanks for your info.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Cruisin'

Nick,

I would love to see pictures of your V1 install! I just picked up my 04 TL Anthracite/Ebony yesterday. I traded in my 2001 BMW 330i that had a great (and very easy) V1 install. Here's a link to how it's done in the E46 3-series, if it gives you any ideas:

http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm

Per this web page, I had it hardwired into the ceiling lighting console and was able to conceal the cable for the remote display in the headliner and down the A-Pillar to mount to a ledge below the gauge cluster. I used the included V1 suction cup mount to secure the main unit to the windshield. Worked like a charm for the 3+ years I used it. Used Scotch-brand Clear Mounting Squares (cat. # 859) for securing the remote display to the dash. They provided a very firm grip and left no residue. Hoping I can rig something like this up for the TL, with a well concealed power hardwire and signal to remote display. If you have any solutions I'd love to hear them! In the interim I'll use the suction mount and cigarette lighter power adapter. Never got a ticket in my 3+ years with the 330i and don't want to be without the V1 in the TL. This thing is worth its weight in gold on such a powerful car

Tom
Old 12-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for this detailed info. I think the difficulty for me is 5...

Happy Holidays...
Old 12-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Banned

Dang it!

I didn't let the epoxy dry properly, and the base and the mount came apart (didn't damage anything else.)

Anyway, I tried cleaning off the epoxy and re-doing it, but that was just a mess.

I've re-ordered parts, but they're gonna take about a week to get here (you can only order the V1 stuff directly) and even though I ordered everything 2-day, I'm not gonna get them before next week.

I will post pictures, just as soon as I have something worth taking pictures of.

Merry Christmas everyone!

-=Nick=-
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

Nick,

Why don't you just use the suction cup mount that comes with the V1? I used it for 3 years in my Bimmer and the V1 never fell once. I would say the suction mount is very secure! Also, I would think there has to be a way to use the V1 direct wire connector and tap into the overhead console where the lights, HomeLink, and sunroof switch are. Then a short phone cable can be run out for power connection to the V1. This is exactly the way I did it in my BMW, as linked above. The only reason to have to run a longer phone cord through the headliner and down the A-pillar should be to connect the remote display (somewhere). I have a friend who's good with cars and electronics. I'll see if he can help me find a suitable wire to tap into in the overhead console. The other challenge will be, as in the BMW, trying to find room to tuck the direct wire power adapter up into the overhead console area. Has anyone tried doing a hardwire this way yet?

Tom
Old 12-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Banned

Hi Tom..

(Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone)

Well, I didn't use the suction cups as they are not as secure, and more visible from outside. I generally keep them availble for when I use the V1 in another car.
(Yes, it's definately debatable as to if the suction cups are secure enough. In my previous car I made a custom metal bracket that I liked a lot; in this car I decided to use the LoBoy.) I could certainly see the discussion either way; I just prefer a permanant solution.

As to running the cable...

With the V1 on it's own, with no remotes, then I would tap into the overhead console.

We the V1 used in conjunction with a remote; then I'm gonna have to run a cable around the headliner and the A pillar, no matter where I mount the hardwire power supply.
I would therefore choose to mount the hardwire power supply under the dash, with one cable running up to the V1 on the windshield. All other cables to remotes; etc; would be under the dash. Also, if I decide to use the remote power/volume remote, then these cables are easier to add as that remote goes in-line with the power supply.

Hopefully I will get my replacement parts on Tuesday, and I'll take my time and do the job properly; while taking pictures too.

Hope you got everything you wanted for Christmas. <G> I already got my TL.

-=Nick=-