Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At this very moment...I'm in a hotel room, on the way home with my new TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
At this very moment...I'm in a hotel room, on the way home with my new TL-S

Busted on the scene here about 2 weeks ago with the announcement I was hunting for a Type-S. Well,...bought one. I found the EXACT car I was looking for and bought it for a screaming good deal. Basically stole it. From a dealership, no less. A Lexus dealership to boot!

Several of you commented (correctly so) that I was hunting for a unicorn. 07 or 08, single-owner, Type-S, 6MT, warm-weather/salt-free state, silver or red exterior, two-tone interior, 100,000'ish, service records, etc., yadda, etc.

I found the exact car. Had been traded in at Nalley Lexus in Symrna Georgia (Atlanta) last Thursday. They decided not to be bothered & send it to auction but a sales rep snapped a few pics & listed it on Autotrader for a couple of hours that very night. I found it. Talked extensively to the salesman and worked a deal. Basically - they didn't want it, I did. Nice shoes to be wearing. (...told him I wanted it out-the-door for $15k, they countered with $14.1k. no kidding. long story which I'll get into later)

Yesterday I drove about to Little Rock, AR. Right now I'm in Wichita, KS. Final leg home tomorrow. (I live in Colorado Springs) She's a beauty. 95k. Oil changes and all services done by-the-book at the Acura dealership where it was purchased, all detailed on its Carfax. T-belt & water pump done at 75k. I'll get pics up soon - b/c of the newness of my account I can't post pics now anyway.

Once I've done some financial recovery from this cash outlay it'll be time for CAI + exhaust and j-pipe. Can't wait. Any early tips on the quest for a better-breathing engine w/o breaking open the piggy bank would be appreciated.

I'll type to you later.
The following users liked this post:
Georgiey22 (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the TL family!

Honestly, spend any money first on maintenance for your car such as brake fluid, filters, etc. Also start putting some money aside for a new clutch. Ours have a self adjusting one so you can't really tell when it's on it's way out until it's the end!

The J-pipe, Comptech Sway Bar (22mm) and UR Lightweight Pulley are some of the BEST bang for the buck mods you can put on your car in my opinion.

Don't forget Tint!
YeuEmMaiMai (01-02-2015)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 AM
-NoSuchThingAsTooLow-

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
congrats!! post some pics of your new ride. sounds like you got a well maintained car =)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by DerrickW
Busted on the scene here about 2 weeks ago with the announcement I was hunting for a Type-S. Well,...bought one. I found the EXACT car I was looking for and bought it for a screaming good deal. Basically stole it. From a dealership, no less. A Lexus dealership to boot!

Several of you commented (correctly so) that I was hunting for a unicorn. 07 or 08, single-owner, Type-S, 6MT, warm-weather/salt-free state, silver or red exterior, two-tone interior, 100,000'ish, service records, etc., yadda, etc.

I found the exact car. Had been traded in at Nalley Lexus in Symrna Georgia (Atlanta) last Thursday. They decided not to be bothered & send it to auction but a sales rep snapped a few pics & listed it on Autotrader for a couple of hours that very night. I found it. Talked extensively to the salesman and worked a deal. Basically - they didn't want it, I did. Nice shoes to be wearing. (...told him I wanted it out-the-door for $15k, they countered with $14.1k. no kidding. long story which I'll get into later)

Yesterday I drove about to Little Rock, AR. Right now I'm in Wichita, KS. Final leg home tomorrow. (I live in Colorado Springs) She's a beauty. 95k. Oil changes and all services done by-the-book at the Acura dealership where it was purchased, all detailed on its Carfax. T-belt & water pump done at 75k. I'll get pics up soon - b/c of the newness of my account I can't post pics now anyway.

Once I've done some financial recovery from this cash outlay it'll be time for CAI + exhaust and j-pipe. Can't wait. Any early tips on the quest for a better-breathing engine w/o breaking open the piggy bank would be appreciated.

I'll type to you later.

"Once I've done some financial recovery from this cash outlay"

Once the mod bug infects you. There will be no cash recovery.

Congrats on your aggressive search and win.
robocam (12-31-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and im glad you found the exact car you wanted. Cant wait to see pics!
As far as mods if it helps to save you a few bucks, I would skip the cold air intake. It has been discussed here that all it does is change the sound, but at the penalty of filtration and risk of sucking up water. On the Type S, the factory air box is actually pretty nicely designed and has a duct that pulls in cold outside air. Everyone has their own opinion, but I would call an aftermarket cold air intake a downgrade from the factory setup. They say jpipes are a great mod. I have tried the RV6 V3 pipe and its pretty nice with great fitment and pretty easy install. Im probably getting ahead of things here since you haven't even got the car home yet lol. Like csmeance said, spend the money on things the car may need such as fluids or any parts that need replacing if any.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the TL family!

Honestly, spend any money first on maintenance for your car such as brake fluid, filters, etc.....

Don't forget Tint!
It needs NOTHING. You should see the Carfax on this thing. (well,...one day soon you probably will) It was at the Acura dealership, literally, every 7,500 miles. It needs nothing. Does need a tint job, but that's just $189 or so at any competent local shop. Dealership indicated its ready for a clutch, but from my driving it these last 2 days - it feels fine. I get that with this car you maybe cannot go 100% on 'feel', and that's an expensive job on these, so I'll be tucking some pennies away. But all-in-all, the thing is a 110%'er

Originally Posted by csmeance
UR Lightweight Pulley
I confess ignorance on this pulley set up...possible to link to past discussion threads?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-28-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, can't wait to see some pics! I remember flying to pick up my car back in 2008 and the 7 hour drive home where I just stared at all the goodies in the interior haha.

Tint will instantly make the car look better. I also suggest changing all the interior lights, trunk light, reverse light, and license plate light to leds which are brighter, last longer, and look better in my opinion, and it's fairly cheap.

For performance, I would suggest the jpipe first if money is tight. It's the best overall bang for your buck and you have a few options where you can either keep your third cat or delete it (no check engine light). I would suggest the atlp v2 (keeps third cat) or the xlr8 v2 (deletes third cat).

Check out this thread for some interesting info on a recent dyno comparison:
https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...gether-923397/

A lot of items have been discussed in the community already so use google to find the info you're looking for and use "site:Acurazine.com" after the search term to get results from this forum, but let us know if you have any questions throughout!
Old 12-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Congrats Derrick. I know you'll love it. I have to say, hands down the absolute FIRST mod you should do - slave cylinder check valve removal. If your clutch is even remotely close to worn, this will probably extend its life.

I had an 05 that I drove for 50K miles and never saw this mod, and the clutch engagement was the only thing I didn't care for. Once I got my 04, I did it about 6 months into owning it, and WISH I had done it sooner.

Rockstar on here is a big proponent of this mod as well - it SHOULD have come this way from the factory. It's a FREE mod (if you use your existing slave cylinder) and it is probably the single best mod I've done, including wheels, coilovers, etc.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
congrats mang
Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Congrats and best of luck with your new ride!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Congrats-shoot a pic and post up!

What color did you say you got?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Post pictures when you can! Congrats
Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!
I found some pics from the listing that will suffice until DerrickW can post more pics:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
triax37 (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Congrats on your S.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
....(...told him I wanted it out-the-door for $15k, they countered with $14.1k....
I like this trend
Old 12-28-2014, 03:24 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
That does look very nice.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
congrats on the purchase! looks identical to mine, except for the 6MT.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Grats on the unicorn!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
congrat on the new purchase.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
Congrats
Old 12-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Never heard of a dealership not wanting a car so bad that they countered with an offer lower than the buyers lol. At any rate that's bad ass for you, congrats!!! If it does turn out it needs a clutch, don't sweat it, I had one done at Acura for less than a grand and the car was perfect afterwards.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Congrats bro, I hope to find a clean & well maintained Type S one of these days
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by screaminz28
Congrats Derrick. I know you'll love it. I have to say, hands down the absolute FIRST mod you should do - slave cylinder check valve removal. If your clutch is even remotely close to worn, this will probably extend its life.

I had an 05 that I drove for 50K miles and never saw this mod, and the clutch engagement was the only thing I didn't care for. Once I got my 04, I did it about 6 months into owning it, and WISH I had done it sooner.

Rockstar on here is a big proponent of this mod as well - it SHOULD have come this way from the factory. It's a FREE mod (if you use your existing slave cylinder) and it is probably the single best mod I've done, including wheels, coilovers, etc.
Holy ignorance, Batman. Tho I'm not mechanically inclined myself, (oil & filter changes are pretty much the end of my personal mech abilities), I am & do consider myself a 'car guy'. I've owned two tastefully modded Maximas, a Porsche, couple of Mustangs, HKS Stage III Supra + a few others. But I've never, ever heard of what you're talking about. If it'll buy me another 10 or 20k (or whatever) of clutch life - you'd better believe I'm all over that! Got a linky where I can do some research, buy necessary parts, etc.??

tanks, maneg

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Congrats-shoot a pic and post up!

What color did you say you got?
Silver on two-tone interior.
Per forum new user stipulations, I cannot yet post pics, edit my posts, use private messenger. There's no doubt about it,....it's The Man, keep'n a brutha down!!!!

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
"Once I've done some financial recovery from this cash outlay"

Once the mod bug infects you. There will be no cash recovery.
Ain't it the truth! The 'new car itch' is a hard one not to scratch. Then, once having gotten one, the 'mod it' bug is almost as bad. At least with this car I'm pleased with the aesthetics and, outside of a tint job, really don't need to do much about the looks. I'm fine with the body's ride height & handling characteristics for now ...my last cars (Maximas) in stock trim were on stilts... and so can & will live with stock suspension for a while. I love the wheels & will stay stock there. Mostly I want a more muscular growl and a bit more straight-line performance. Which from what I've seen doesn't appear to be a real bank-breaker for these cars.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-29-2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Holy ignorance, Batman. Tho I'm not mechanically inclined myself, (oil & filter changes are pretty much the end of my personal mech abilities), I am & do consider myself a 'car guy'. I've owned two tastefully modded Maximas, a Porsche, couple of Mustangs, HKS Stage III Supra + a few others. But I've never, ever heard of what you're talking about. If it'll buy me another 10 or 20k (or whatever) of clutch life - you'd better believe I'm all over that! Got a linky where I can do some research, buy necessary parts, etc.??

tanks, maneg
Look around on Acurazine, there's a guide here for sure. The job isn't very much harder than an oil change, just different, and longer.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts

tanks, maneg
i thought it helped some but i didn't have the same reaction as the other member. definitely recommend it though. your first 6mt upgrade should be GM friction modified synchomesh fluid...it's seriously night and day shifting smoothness!!

later down the line you should look into the shifter bushing upgrade, short shifter install, and the heavier shift knob to finish up the 6mt mods. but out of all those listed, the fluid switch is by far the biggest improvement.

https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...-valve-734300/
Old 12-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Derrick, a few things:

1. Be sure to join our Silver TL Social Group and our Type S Social Group from the links below my signature!

2. Like ggesq said, be sure to start a free PhotoBucket.com account. Once you download your pictures there, copy and paste the IMG code here on AcuraZine.

3. You're new here and don't know about the Multi-Quote button. It's the middle icon in each posting of your thread by various people. When you click on it, it allows you to respond to more than one person in a single reply. It will look like Post #23. Be sure and try it out!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Derrick, a few things:

1. Be sure to join our Silver TL Social Group and our Type S Social Group from the links below my signature!

2. Like ggesq said, be sure to start a free PhotoBucket.com account. Once you download your pictures there, copy and paste the IMG code here on AcuraZine.

3. You're new here and don't know about the Multi-Quote button. It's the middle icon in each posting of your thread by various people. When you click on it, it allows you to respond to more than one person in a single reply. It will look like Post #23. Be sure and try it out!

Thanks for the tips & the understanding.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
(...told him I wanted it out-the-door for $15k, they countered with $14.1k.
Wait, you offered 15k and the dealership said "nah, we'll take only $14,100 instead"?

Either that's the worlds dumbest dealer or they know something you don't. The pricing on a used car is completely subjective and used cars make a dealership huge money. Why they wouldn't maximize their own profits on a car you essentially guaranteed them you'll take for more is beyond me

Either way, hopefully you're the one coming out on top on this one. It's nice you got a 6MT- those things are a blast to drive
Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
congrats man
Old 12-30-2014, 12:16 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Will never forget the day when I spotted this white 6MT stallion....sitting there waiting for me....best car I've ever had! Grats on your S.

BlueAc (01-03-2015)
Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 AM
Safety Car

Also Derrick, just because I like being technical, the correct name for the interior on that car is Ebony Silver. There was only two options for Type S interiors and it was that, and Taupe. Taupe is the one with light gray seats, door panel inserts, center console arm rest, and light gray headliner and pillars. Ebony Silver as you know has all black everything including headliner with dark gray seat inserts. That exterior color is referred to as ASM (alabaster silver metallic).

You get that thing home yet? haven't heard of an update or seen pics yet!!!?!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Wait, you offered 15k and the dealership said "nah, we'll take only $14,100 instead"?

Either that's the worlds dumbest dealer or they know something you don't. The pricing on a used car is completely subjective and used cars make a dealership huge money. Why they wouldn't maximize their own profits on a car you essentially guaranteed them you'll take for more is beyond me
Yea that got me as well. What's the story on this?

Either way congrats on the pickup
robocam (12-31-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
can't wait to see some pictures and congrats!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Either way, hopefully you're the one coming out on top on this one. It's nice you got a 6MT- those things are a blast to drive
Several things were in play here:

1. The used manager didn't want to be bothered with it. (I befriended my sales rep & he blabbed all of this to me...really nice guy.) Their dealership is all about churn. 300+ cars per month. A luxury marquee with a manual transmission was going no where fast & manager knew it. So they took it in trade with full intent of sending it directly to auction, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

2.My guy (sales rep who sold it to me) said, "What the heck, for as long as its here [looking to be around 48 hours], may as well take a stab." So he snapped some pics real quick & slapped it up on their autotrader account. Which explains why the pics are at night. No dealer does that - night pictures. But the car didn't come in until 5pm and was headed out the next day.

3. Since I was monitoring diligently, I happened across the ad, 9pm MST. They had it on basically for $16k.

4. I called in the morning, got the guy, asked the usual questions, Carfax, do a visual inspection for me, tires, ...yadda. Told the guy I wanted out the door for $15k.
"It just got here, hasn't been in for safety inspection yet. Let me talk to the boss & get back to you."

5. Their shop inspection came back with "it needs a clutch." That'll be $1500, please.

6. "Forget it."

7. "Well, we're at $15, right? How about we drop the $1500 to comp you for the clutch? That makes it $13,500. Dealer prep & inspection on every car we sell here is $599, no getting around that. You're not registering it here in Georgia so there's no other expenses associated. That makes it $14,099 -- out the door."

8. "Done."

9. "Can you pick me up at the airport Sheraton, Friday at 10am?"

10. "See you then."
Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered Bunny

lol @ dealer prep and inspection. That's always the biggest crock of ----.

Prep takes 1 or 2 low wage employees to shine the car real quick and inspection is an hour and a half thing by a shop guy. That's pretty much like that for all dealerships, just some like to charge a bunch for it. If there's anything they can wave off it's that. My uncle used to work for the biggest Mazda dealership in the world and prep and inspection was mostly making sure windshield washer was full and tires properly inflated (since they come over-inflated when they're shipped)...
GKinColo08TL (12-31-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by polobunny
lol @ dealer prep and inspection. That's always the biggest crock of ----.

Prep takes 1 or 2 low wage employees to shine the car real quick and inspection is an hour and a half thing by a shop guy. That's pretty much like that for all dealerships, just some like to charge a bunch for it. If there's anything they can wave off it's that. My uncle used to work for the biggest Mazda dealership in the world and prep and inspection was mostly making sure windshield washer was full and tires properly inflated (since they come over-inflated when they're shipped)...
Eh, no doubt. They got me on the prep fees....and the $2,000 for body undercoating. And I bit on the $700 to Scotchgaurd the floor mats so they last longer, that seemed like a good deal. I thought $1200 for lifetime cabin filter changes was a good deal - but b/c I'm a pro I got the scented Christmas tree air freshener thrown in! And I went for the $25 to upgrade the washer fluid to the kind that's guaranteed not to freeze down to -70c. But I drew the line at an add'l $100 for them to clear and reset that nav system so its not sending me down old, broken down roads!!! I'm nobody's fool! I was born at night,......

The following 2 users liked this post by DerrickW:
KJ TL-S (12-30-2014), polobunny (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
Haha, clearly that whole line is a joke.

Congrats OP! I'm sure you'll love it! I'm at just under 59K on mine, and I still turn back to look at it every time I park.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Registered Bunny

I got scared at first I'll admit hahaha! good one
Old 12-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Derrick...I'm in Colorado Springs also, cept I am selling my 08 TL, Base w/auto to my sone and his fiance'. 84K miles for $12.8K. I agree, to this point it was the best car I've ever owned. I now own a '11 335i which I hope will be the new best car I've ever owned. I've owned since last Saturday and it's been in the shop since Monday for a new heater core the selling dealer is replacing. At any rate, congrats on the pickup, you'll love it. One question, has the timing belt service been done? It is due and will run you anywhere from $600-$1500 depending on the shop you use. High end would be Pikes Peak Acura, I recommend you avoid them. Freedom Honda up north or Hondac (Honest Accurate) on the east side off Tutt are good shops. Freedom has serviced my TL, only thing I ever needed was tranny fluid swap and oil changes. I did brake pads myself.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

^^^ I think he said it was done at like 75k miles. Not sure why it would have been done so early, but it's done.

Quick Reply: At this very moment...I'm in a hotel room, on the way home with my new TL-S