10% off

ACURA10OFF
Also if you spent over $100 you get free ship
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
jlc kit

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
I got these for my cousin's TL and works great without any problem. I installed the CREE LED and it is full 12V power instead of the conventional 6V while in DRL mode. Here is the link. They also sent me an email for a discount code too. Let me look for the code.

http://www.jlclightings.com/9005_CRE..._p/sku_067.htm
kb1spec, how bright is the CREE for normal day driving? from what I read it's super bright and I don't want to risk getting pulled over/blinding people during the day. do you have any day time pics?

looks like jlc is one of the few decoder providers but it looks like it comes with the bulbs, so i'm just trying to figure out how bright the CREEs really are. also just to confirm, the DRL warning light doesn't come on?

thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 171 Posts
I will post some pic later today. There is no error message on the MID if you install the DRL module. It by pass it by a resistor. The brightness is typically the same as you see on any Audi DRL, Mercedes DRL factory set up during daytime.

Originally Posted by sockr1
kb1spec, how bright is the CREE for normal day driving? from what I read it's super bright and I don't want to risk getting pulled over/blinding people during the day. do you have any day time pics?

looks like jlc is one of the few decoder providers but it looks like it comes with the bulbs, so i'm just trying to figure out how bright the CREEs really are. also just to confirm, the DRL warning light doesn't come on?

thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

I will post some pic later today. There is no error message on the MID if you install the DRL module. It by pass it by a resistor. The brightness is typically the same as you see on any Audi DRL, Mercedes DRL factory set up during daytime.
that would be awesome kb1spec, i have been talking to jlc and they seem pretty confident in their kit. i'm just trying to decide if i should go with CREE or the 68 SMD...don't want it to be blinding bright so the day picture could help me lean one way or the other...thanks for the code too!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

JLC DRL Kit installed successfully

just finished installing the DRL module/kit from JLC with a youtube help video by Jack at JLC....the 68 SMD LEDs look great on the Type S. I had to find a good ground (not the galvanized bolts) and bolt on the modules ...the lights look great and with brightness comparable to the stock! very happy with it!

i posted a photo in the thread named "Installed LED DRLs (Comparison Photos)" if you wanna see the stock vs LED comparison

and no DRL warning light!

Last edited by sockr1; 09-27-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wanted to add thread title for picture location
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
For those of who have the flickering issues: Is the flickering the entire bulb or just a specific portion of the bulb? Mine are flickering on the top half.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Safety Car

Check where you ground your wire.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
thinking about getting some, only concern is where are you putting the decoder at and how hot does it get? becuase i know the DRL is on alot of the time. i dont want to risk burning something or the whole car.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:10 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
KB did you get to take those pics yet. I'm interested to see how those Cree LEDs are.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

I have pic of the CREE LED but reverse light though.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I have pic of the CREE LED but reverse light though.
I have them too. But they way the hype was built up about really fell to be no where near the truth of the output on them. That's why I asked. I feel these will be the same let down as the reverse lights are/is/were!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I have them too. But they way the hype was built up about really fell to be no where near the truth of the output on them. That's why I asked. I feel these will be the same let down as the reverse lights are/is/were!
What! How are the CREE LED Reverse Lights a let down?

I run them in my 08 with navi and it treats me good. Did you find any other bulbs that satisfied you better than the cree led reverse lights? If so, can you share ?

I'm interested in knowing because I believe the cree LEDs are the brightest things next to hid reverse lights
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Safety Car

I should get a set of Cree led drl bulb set up this week from them to test it out and post some picture. To me the set up for the 4G TL headlamp assemble is different to the 3G. Partly because it won't be that glaring because the 4G TL high beam housing have a cap or shield in front of the high beam assembly. And the output won't be that spread out. I will see if JLC makes or modify the Cree bulb to be more directional for the 3G TL
Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Okay thread revival.

I've been recently trying to install my 6K DRL kit I ordered a few months ago. Yeah I know I let it sit in my closet for a few months before deciding to install.

I installed everything according to the youtube video that v-leds themselves posted. I didn't get any light but at least the DRL error wasn't appearing on the dash. I contacted v-leds and told them about the issue. I was first instructed to test the bulbs with a different 9V to 12V power source. So I did, using wires and trying it with a 9V battery. The bulbs both lit up fine and were blinding. Customer service suggested it may be a bad relay so they sent me a new one. I tried the new relay and it made no difference, still no power to the bulbs. Upon my second installation, one of the wires on the resistor came off right at the end. I took this as an opportunity for an experiment. Leaving the wire off, the DRL error appeared on the dash. Attaching it back on, the DRL error disappeared. This at least confirms the need for the resistors.

So now, I have a non-working kit and a resistor that has a wire I can't properly attach back on. I tried to solder it back but it's way too close to the edge, not enough wire is catching. I tried electrical tape as well but couldn't get it to hold.

The bulbs themselves do work in the OEM socket. They don't display an error on the dash but I have no idea if they're getting 100% power. As mentioned early on in this thread by mglax13, he quoted v-leds as saying the kits allows you to "...run full charging voltage to the LEDs (13.8-14.2 volts) The voltage that is at the factory plug is about 7 volts, so this effectively makes them twice as bright as just plugging LEDs into the stock plug".

I've requested a new harness and resistor but the customer service representative I've been speaking to won't send them out since we're "guessing" what I need to resolve the issue. From what I've down, I would imagine I've narrowed it down to the harness itself. The bulbs work, the resistor plate has been shown to work, and I have 2 different relays in my possession that I've tried, both no luck. What would you guys do?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
I've requested a new harness and resistor but the customer service representative I've been speaking to won't send them out since we're "guessing" what I need to resolve the issue. From what I've down, I would imagine I've narrowed it down to the harness itself. The bulbs work, the resistor plate has been shown to work, and I have 2 different relays in my possession that I've tried, both no luck. What would you guys do?
It IS the harness. I had the same problem when I installed mine. The old tech support person (James) was extremely helpful and sent me a new harness which fixed the problem. Not sure what's going on lately with their new reps but they've been less than helpful.

Demand a new harness or RMA the kit. Sorry to say but I'm fed up with the issues with this kit. The kit wasn't exactly cheap either.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I installed my VLED's kit a few months ago, and have had issues with it every day. VLED's customer support has been amazing, and have worked with me each step by sending me a new harness and new bulbs. So A++++ on customer service with VLED's. But unfortunately nothing worked. I changed the bulbs, changed the harness, and still the same problems. The only thing I can think of is that it is ground. Both bulbs barely light up, and when they do they flicker SO BAD, and its only certain LED's that flicker. I cant seem to think that its the bulbs themselves, or the harness because I have changed BOTH of them and still the same problems. I am going to be changing the ground's today to see if that will help, but who knows. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
So... I bought the DRL LED kit from VLeds about 8 months ago. Was getting ready to do the install today when I came across this horror show of a thread. Wondering if I should give it a shot or try to get my $ back and use the one from JDMToy??

Has anyone successfully installed the newest DRL kit from VLeds?

All input greatly appreciated. I guess I'll install my fogs today instead.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Racer

The OEM DRL bulbs have been in my car for over 2 years now and I haven't looked back. Maybe it's a lack of patience but I was fed up with my DRLs looking like a flickering Christmas tree.

On a positive note, the interior LEDs I purchased from VLED have been flawless. Good luck with your install.

EDIT: I forgot where I had left off on this thread so I guess I should mention that the harness was replaced but the flickering returned. After hours of troubleshooting, I decided to give it a rest. Didn't feel it was worth the the time spent.

Last edited by SDSilverM3; 06-08-2014 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zoostation (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

I've been running my jlc lightings drl kit for a few years with no issues. Just contact them and they should be able to help you out. I'm running the vleds drl led because they are much brighter and better quality than the jlc tower they gave me

Led DRLs look so much better than oem, it's one if my favorite aesthetic mods if not the favorite
Old 06-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I've been running my jlc lightings drl kit for a few years with no issues. Just contact them and they should be able to help you out. I'm running the vleds drl led because they are much brighter and better quality than the jlc tower they gave me

Led DRLs look so much better than oem, it's one if my favorite aesthetic mods if not the favorite
It's also one of my favourite mods.

One of my DRL LED bulbs just stopped working from JLC (30W cree).
Now I just install the halogens back in but didn't connect it because I would rather drive with no DRL than halogens.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
It's also one of my favourite mods.

One of my DRL LED bulbs just stopped working from JLC (30W cree).
Now I just install the halogens back in but didn't connect it because I would rather drive with no DRL than halogens.
Check out the drl LEDs I think they are way better than any towers. They distribute light well and are very bright. Little pricey though but worth it IMO
Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Race Director

Check out the drl LEDs I think they are way better than any towers. They distribute light well and are very bright. Little pricey though but worth it IMO
I'm actually really happy with the ones I have.
The ones I had weren't tower LEDs, they were the Crees.
Loved the brightness. Too bad one stopped working only after 5 months.

http://www.jlclightings.com/9005-30W...005creeled.htm

My bulbs are priced the same as the iJDMTOY harness and tower bulb kit.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 06-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
i was just at ijdmtoy the other day they were testing some harness with hyper white led to give them 100% power.. The guy took about an hour to complete the install cause there was alot of trial and error. Eventually he figured it out and was able to run the led with 100% power and no code. He took a ton of pictures. Im sure the new hardness with easy install will be coming out for the 07-08 tl.

I have an 08 tl
Old 06-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Racer

Do you have a link to the mlc lighting kit? Maybe I'll give that a shot.

VLEDS suck
Old 06-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zoostation
Do you have a link to the mlc lighting kit? Maybe I'll give that a shot.

VLEDS suck
i just did a quick search and couldn't verify if it was the same one, so just email/call jlc and they are very helpful. they'll get you exactly what you need
zoostation (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SDSilverM3
The OEM DRL bulbs have been in my car for over 2 years now and I haven't looked back. Maybe it's a lack of patience but I was fed up with my DRLs looking like a flickering Christmas tree.

On a positive note, the interior LEDs I purchased from VLED have been flawless. Good luck with your install.

EDIT: I forgot where I had left off on this thread so I guess I should mention that the harness was replaced but the flickering returned. After hours of troubleshooting, I decided to give it a rest. Didn't feel it was worth the the time spent.
The flickering and lack of installation guides doesn't say a lot for VLEDS. I called them a while back for a guide (before I read this thread), and the guy was rude and completely non helpful. All I was asking for is for some input on the install (since they have no documentation). It was almost as if the guy felt it was my fault his product sucked.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Racer

i just did a quick search and couldn't verify if it was the same one, so just email/call jlc and they are very helpful. they'll get you exactly what you need
will do. thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 AM
Racer

Last night I actually tried to run the LED bulbs off of the factory wiring as mentioned above but got nothing. Even that at this point would have been better than the yellow factory DRL's
Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Safety Car

I have had my vled drl harness installed for almost a year now without any problems
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
^I just put mine in last week. Only issue is (my fault) I installed one of the harnesses backwards by accident so it didn't work the first time. I re-checked my work, found the issue, corrected it and voila.

My only gripe is tha the 5K DRLs they sent don't match the 5K switchback... annoying as fark. But the quality of the product itself is fucking awesome.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
My only gripe is tha the 5K DRLs they sent don't match the 5K switchback... annoying as fark. But the quality of the product itself is fucking awesome.
but the switchbacks and the DRLs are never on at the same time right? at least stock they aren't
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Race Director

but the switchbacks and the DRLs are never on at the same time right? at least stock they aren't
Parking lights (1 click on stalk) - switchbacks on, DRL on, low beams off
Low beams (2 clicks on stalk) - switchbacks on, DRL off, low beams on

The following 2 users liked this post by guitarplayer16:
sockr1 (06-09-2014), Vlad_Type_S (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Yup. DRL comes on as soon as you have the parking brake down. (Not sure how this works on automatics.)

Say...... I installed my VLEDs 5K DRL LED conversion kit (with the inline caps) and it runs a bit yellow. I emailed them and they said that this is due to the low output in DRL mode. Based on the schematic of the car in the service manual, is my understanding correct that the DRLs run at 6V instead of 12V?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

all drls that use halogens are 6v.

The relay harness is supposed to help supply 12v straight to the drls
Vlad_Type_S (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Well then there's the issue. The VLEDs DRL LED Conversion Kit doesn't come with a relay harness. They told me that I didn't need the harness...... then I get the bulbs and it runs at the wrong color lol. How does our car set the DRL indicator? Does it simply look for 6V at the midpoint between the bulbs?

FYI This is what I purchased: http://www.vleds.com/07-08-acura-tl-...rsion-kit.html with the 2100LM bulbs.

It appears that in addition to the bulbs, I need this: http://www.vleds.com/07-08-acura-tl-...l-harness.html
Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well then there's the issue. The VLEDs DRL LED Conversion Kit doesn't come with a relay harness. They told me that I didn't need the harness...... then I get the bulbs and it runs at the wrong color lol. How does our car set the DRL indicator? Does it simply look for 6V at the midpoint between the bulbs?

FYI This is what I purchased: http://www.vleds.com/07-08-acura-tl-...rsion-kit.html with the 2100LM bulbs.

It appears that in addition to the bulbs, I need this: http://www.vleds.com/07-08-acura-tl-...l-harness.html
So I want to try this mod out. First time fiddling with electronics so forgive my newbness. I have a CAD TLS so my drl's come on as soon as the car turns on, do I just purchase the kit? Anyone know the difference between the 2100lm led vs the 3000lm led minus the price difference obviously? Do I need low voltage capacitor? Is either kit the most recent/updated kit? And as Vlad stated do I need to purchase the harness? I'm referencing the urls that Vlad posted above me. And is it as simple as the plug-n-play posted on the very first page of this thread?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered Bike Offender

^here's the deal. the 2100lm bulb has an LED on only one side of the bulb while the 3000lm bulb has LEDs on both sides. This means that the 2100lm bulb will only give you a half-circle of light out of the halogen housing while the 3000lm bulb will give a full circle of light out of the halogen housing.

The second problem is the voltage. As stated above, these things run at 6V. So if you don't use their relay harness, the LEDs will run at reduced output meaning the color won't be exact. I installed the 2100lm bulb with the inline caps and the light has a yellow tint. The only way to get the correct color is to give them full power (12V) which requires the use of the harness.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Here's my conversation with their support guys. I've always received excellent support from them!!!
Originally Posted by Vlad
Comment: Hello!

I finally got a chance to install the products from this order. I have two issues that I was hoping you could help me with regarding the Acura TL DRL LED Conversion Kit.

1) The color, while described as 5K white, does not match the 5K white switchbacks. The DRL LEDs are yellow, enough to the point that it is a very noticeable difference. I can send pictures.

2) The LED bulbs themselves have the LED on only one side of the bulb, meaning that light output is only 180 degrees of the halogen housing. I noticed that there are two configuration options when ordering: 2100lm ($130) and 3000lm ($200). Does the 3000lm bulb have the LED on both sides so that the output is the full 360 degrees of the halogen housing?

Kindest Regards -Vlad
Originally Posted by VLEDs
Hi Vlad,

The 3000lm bulb does have LEDs on both sides. This is the bulb we recommend for DRL/High beam applications. As for the color, the lower the output the more yellow the light becomes. So when running in DRL mode at a reduced output the LED does not reach full intensity therefore adding a bit more yellow tint to the light.
Originally Posted by Vlad
Thank you. I'll go ahead and swap these with the 3000lm version. Do you anticipate the same yellow tint to be present even with these too? I believe the 07/08 TL's DRL runs at 6V constantly as there is no high beam functionality. Being that this kit is specific for this vehicle, I would have expected that this was taken into consideration when the harness was designed to get the correct led color at all times.
The images on the product page on the site show a perfectly pure white output that's perfectly circular. That's exactly what I want. :-) Will I need to do anything else besides use the 3000lm bulb to get this output?
Originally Posted by VLEDs
The yellow tint is not as bad because these are more intense but there is some yellow by nature that projects off the side of the LED. This reflects into the reflector slightly changing the hue of the light. It's not perfect and unfortunately there's no way around it.

If you want the LEDs to be at full output when in DRL mode you would need to purchase the TL harness.

http://www.vleds.com/vehicle-specifi...l-harness.html

Bulbs are sold separately from this harness.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/dayti...g2-3000lm.html
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my conversation with their support guys. I've always received excellent support from them!!!
Thanks for the update. Just sent my order through looking forward to the install! Now is their a DIY in regards specific to VLEDS installation on 07-08 tis? I work better with pictures lol

Last edited by 07NBP-S; 06-10-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Registered Bike Offender

What did you order? The 3000lm bulb and the relay harness?

This has what you need: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/ijdmtoy-led-drl-harness-install-w-pics-853543/

Quick Reply: V-LED New DRL Harness