TSX owner, would the TLS be a big upgrade? - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSX owner, would the TLS be a big upgrade?

 
Old 01-06-2019, 05:13 PM
  #41  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,509
Thanked 792 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
Question guys, how hard would it be to learn MT on a TL?

been driving for 3 years and am a good driver, picked it up really quickly, is MT really that difficult?
Over the last four plus decades I have driven many dozens of cars with manual transmissions; on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being a horrifically underpowerd 36 hp Fiat I rented once upon a time and 10 being my very torque rich 1970 Challenger), I would rank the TL 6MT as a 6 for initial launch and a 4 for ease of effecting a smooth 1-2 shift.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 05:14 PM
  #42  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,509
Thanked 792 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex27 View Post
Recently bought a TL-S and also came from an Auto 2006 TSX. TL handling and power is so much better. The TSX is a nice car but in stock form the suspension is way too soft and the 4 cylinder with AT struggles to get up to speed. In regards to what others have said about quality, not saying made in Japan is better but just from what I've notice the TSX feels more solid. No rattles squeaks, or any problems at 75k miles.
Well, my Ohio built 2006 TL 6MT has just over 150,000 miles (primarily in New England) on it and not so much as a squeak, rattle, or vibration to be heard or felt.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 PM
  #43  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,677
Thanked 987 Times in 848 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
Question guys, how hard would it be to learn MT on a TL?

been driving for 3 years and am a good driver, picked it up really quickly, is MT really that difficult?

its not hard to learn to drive MT on a TL, its hard to drive it smooth because it use the self adjusting clutch along with delay valve. Someone decide to delete the check valve on my TL long ago so the clutch grab pretty good even at high RPM.

I show my wife how to drive MT for the first time and the modern car actually help you out, once the engine detect the extra load it automatic increase RPM so you don't stall out. My first MT car was a 91 Legend.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 07:59 PM
  #44  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex27 View Post
Recently bought a TL-S and also came from an Auto 2006 TSX. TL handling and power is so much better. The TSX is a nice car but in stock form the suspension is way too soft and the 4 cylinder with AT struggles to get up to speed. In regards to what others have said about quality, not saying made in Japan is better but just from what I've notice the TSX feels more solid. No rattles squeaks, or any problems at 75k miles.

Glad to hear that!

I'm sure the TL-S is an amazing machine. I'm starting to wonder how good the suspension is after reading this.
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:12 PM
  #45  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,509
Thanked 792 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Glad to hear that!

I'm sure the TL-S is an amazing machine. I'm starting to wonder how good the suspension is after reading this.
What exactly are you wondering about?
horseshoez is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 PM
  #46  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
What exactly are you wondering about?

I'm thinking of how much better the TypeS must be over a base.
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 PM
  #47  
Registered Member
 
mhtut83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New York
Age: 35
Posts: 183
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
I'm thinking of how much better the TypeS must be over a base.
Personally, I would take Manual Base over Auto Type S. The first TL I drove was a 08 Manual Type S that I went with my brother-in-law to pick up because he doesn't know how to drive manual cars. The suspension is definitely stiffer and of course its got more top end power. But after fixing up some issues (suspension, mounts etc) on my 04 Manual Base, I honestly don't feel like its that much slower than the Type S. I'm talking about normal, day to day driving conditions. I am plenty happy with my Base model which I spent about half of what my brother paid for his Type S, after doing all the maintenance stuff.
mhtut83 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 PM
  #48  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mhtut83 View Post
Personally, I would take Manual Base over Auto Type S. The first TL I drove was a 08 Manual Type S that I went with my brother-in-law to pick up because he doesn't know how to drive manual cars. The suspension is definitely stiffer and of course its got more top end power. But after fixing up some issues (suspension, mounts etc) on my 04 Manual Base, I honestly don't feel like its that much slower than the Type S. I'm talking about normal, day to day driving conditions. I am plenty happy with my Base model which I spent about half of what my brother paid for his Type S, after doing all the maintenance stuff.
See I thought about this, the base TL is 270hp, still has great looks and if you get the manual you get brembo brakes, from what I have heard a manual base is faster than an auto type s, so I guess it depends what the person is looking for.

Me personally I just want a nice looking car with some good power, the base fits that description for me, so I would honestly be happy with it, the type s has has brembo brakes, suspension, cool stock rims, 16 more horsepower and some more cosmetic changes.

I love cars but I dont do much mods and all that, like to keep them stiock, the way I see the TL is already a sports sedan and the Type S is an even more agressive TL.

Like I said, I love the TL and would probably be happy with it but the fact that I can get an even cooler and more upgraded TL stock; I love it!

The main question for me is, track down a manual and learn it or get an auto which has been my plan for some time anyway.
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:36 PM
  #49  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So from what I gather..

MT TLS>MT Base>AutoTLS>Auto Base
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:47 PM
  #50  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
So from what I gather..

MT TLS>MT Base>AutoTLS>Auto Base

Exactly.
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 PM
  #51  
Registered Member
 
mhtut83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: New York
Age: 35
Posts: 183
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
So from what I gather..

MT TLS>MT Base>AutoTLS>Auto Base
You, sir, are correct! And remember, there were no TL-S made in 04-06. So my 04 Manual Base TL is the Best Trim you could get at that time, except for the optional A-Spec edition.
mhtut83 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:52 PM
  #52  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post

See I thought about this, the base TL is 270hp


Re-rated to 258 in 2006. SAE rating changed.



Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
16 more horsepower and some more cosmetic changes.
It's actually, 28 hp!


Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:53 PM
  #53  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I guess if I have the money and come across a mt tls and can get someone to pick it up/teach me, why the hell not!

Im sure Iíll be happy with an Auto TLS too though, hell im happy with my auto TSX haha

so I wonder, if a TL mt is so much better than an auto and even tls, would a mt TSX be way better than my auto?
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:55 PM
  #54  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
Re-rated to 258 in 2006. SAE rating changed.





It's actually, 28 hp!
woah hows that work, so they rerated the TL from 270 to 258 but the TLS still stays at 286? Impressive..
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:59 PM
  #55  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post

woah hows that work, so they rerated the TL from 270 to 258 but the TLS still stays at 286? Impressive..

2004-2005 TL 270 HP (Re-rated to 258)
2006 TL 258 HP
2007-2008 Base TL 258 HP (MMC)
2007-2008 TL TypeS 286 HP (All-New trim for 2007)
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 PM
  #56  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,677
Thanked 987 Times in 848 Posts
lol after owning so much TL I can tell you one thing, Base and Type S is about the same if you drive normal. However in WOT you will feel that extra torque in the 3.5 motor, yes even compare between my MT TL and the Type Slow AT.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 PM
  #57  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 31
Posts: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So to echo what many others have said, the Type S is MUCH better than the TSX. I drove both and, well, I've got an '07 Type S AT now. Had a base TL MT, both great cars but you can't hear the engine at all in the base car.

Oh, and I'm selling mine so you should totally buy it
silverbullitt850 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 04:20 PM
  #58  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,341
Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullitt850 View Post
So to echo what many others have said, the Type S is MUCH better than the TSX. I drove both and, well, I've got an '07 Type S AT now. Had a base TL MT, both great cars but you can't hear the engine at all in the base car.

Oh, and I'm selling mine so you should totally buy it
IF it's so great, why are you selling it..
thoiboi is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:41 AM
  #59  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may as well ask you guys here too, how is the RL and fourth gen TL? They worth a look?
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:04 AM
  #60  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
The RL, dispite having SH-AWD, drives big, it will handle well when powering around coners due to the benefit of the SH-AWD, but otherwise, will drumive like a boat. It's a big luxury car, nothing sporty about it really.

The 4G TL. Well, I like the car. It's exotic and very cool looking inside. The dash craking and tranny slipping didn't really occur on these. However, the SH-AWD models had a TQ converter issue I think for 2012, it was software related, I think, and the J37 loves to drink oil, sadly. There should still be an ongoing recall/warranty extension for more recent 4G models.

The 3.5 Base is a nice car... Super solid and reliable, but it's big and softer than the SH-AWD model.

Why not look for a V6 TSX, those are badass! Rare, but totally badass!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 AM
  #61  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery View Post
The RL, dispite having SH-AWD, drives big, it will handle well when powering around coners due to the benefit of the SH-AWD, but otherwise, will drumive like a boat. It's a big luxury car, nothing sporty about it really.

The 4G TL. Well, I like the car. It's exotic and very cool looking inside. The dash craking and tranny slipping didn't really occur on these. However, the SH-AWD models had a TQ converter issue I think for 2012, it was software related, I think, and the J37 loves to drink oil, sadly. There should still be an ongoing recall/warranty extension for more recent 4G models.

The 3.5 Base is a nice car... Super solid and reliable, but it's big and softer than the SH-AWD model.

Why not look for a V6 TSX, those are badass! Rare, but totally badass!
Like I said before looks wise its the TLS all day for me and thats what I mainly want but if for whatever reason the V6 TSX is my next choice, based on my 08 TSX, Im sure the second gen V6 is fantastic, I just love the looks of the TLS.
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 AM
  #62  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,509
Thanked 792 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post

Like I said before looks wise its the TLS all day for me and thats what I mainly want but if for whatever reason the V6 TSX is my next choice, based on my 08 TSX, Im sure the second gen V6 is fantastic, I just love the looks of the TLS.
Not that you care, but to me at least, the HUGE strike against a V6 TSX is it was never made with a manual transmission. That's a non-starter for me.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
  #63  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Not that you care, but to me at least, the HUGE strike against a V6 TSX is it was never made with a manual transmission. That's a non-starter for me.
oh wow really? Thats kinda odd, yet they have MT base models...

Im sure that V6 is still an awesome car though.

you guys are gonna make me track down a MT TLS and learn it lol
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM
  #64  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,677
Thanked 987 Times in 848 Posts
GL tracking down a clean TL-S MT without paying a premium price for one lol.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 AM
  #65  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 31
Posts: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
IF it's so great, why are you selling it..
Because when it comes to my commuter car I usually only own them for a year or two. I love cars, I want to drive all the ones I find interesting and my job affords me the opportunity to change out cars when I want to try something new.
silverbullitt850 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 AM
  #66  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullitt850 View Post
Because when it comes to my commuter car I usually only own them for a year or two. I love cars, I want to drive all the ones I find interesting and my job affords me the opportunity to change out cars when I want to try something new.
hell yea I can relate to that! I actually really want to find an IS300 I can trade my TSX for until I get a TSX, unfortunatly they are hard to find in good condition around here.
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 AM
  #67  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,677
Thanked 987 Times in 848 Posts
don't get an IS300 or you will regret it later.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 AM
  #68  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post

hell yea I can relate to that! I actually really want to find an IS300 I can trade my TSX for until I get a TSX, unfortunatly they are hard to find in good condition around here.

Take my Optima! I want a clean TSX!
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 AM
  #69  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
FFS MM!

Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:35 AM
  #70  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an Acura forum but seriously? The IS300 is an awesome car with an awesome engine, worst thing about it is its gas mileage, a mint condition low mileage 01-05 IS300 is worth a lot more than a TSX..
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM
  #71  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,509
Thanked 792 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
I know this is an Acura forum but seriously? The IS300 is an awesome car with an awesome engine, worst thing about it is its gas mileage, a mint condition low mileage 01-05 IS300 is worth a lot more than a TSX..
Yeah, but the IS300 is seriously FUGLY; the TSX is quite a looker.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 AM
  #72  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,677
Thanked 987 Times in 848 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
I know this is an Acura forum but seriously? The IS300 is an awesome car with an awesome engine, worst thing about it is its gas mileage, a mint condition low mileage 01-05 IS300 is worth a lot more than a TSX..
Tell me what so awesome about the IS300 engine? I am not a fan boy of any brand but I will wait input from you.
truonghthe is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:00 PM
  #73  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Yeah, but the IS300 is seriously FUGLY; the TSX is quite a looker.
I love them both actually.
Originally Posted by truonghthe View Post
Tell me what so awesome about the IS300 engine? I am not a fan boy of any brand but I will wait input from you.
The 2JZ engine in the IS300 isnt the turbo supra version but its still has a good power to weight ratio on the car, has proven to be incredibly reliable over the years and from what I hear its easy to work on.

I am not expert so Im not sure what you want to hear from me but I have driven the car plenty and absolutely love it, looks wise and the way the car handles, I just have always loved that car.

interior and gas mileage the TSX shits all over it though.
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:02 PM
  #74  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw the K20/24 engines as well as the 2JZ engines are considered awesome even legendary engines across the tuner world so Im not sure why im getting flak lol, its not like im trying to sell anyone one on an optima engine..
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:30 PM
  #75  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: OHIO
Age: 30
Posts: 597
Thanked 80 Times in 66 Posts
Actually Im also a fan of the IS300 and was looking at them before my tl. I totally disagree with Shoes, those are another great looking sedan like the TL and offers rwd and a mt which is the best combo in the car world if youre into performance. Anyways let us know what you end up getting-GL
90foxnotch is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:39 PM
  #76  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 29
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 90foxnotch View Post
Actually Im also a fan of the IS300 and was looking at them before my tl. I totally disagree with Shoes, those are another great looking sedan like the TL and offers rwd and a mt which is the best combo in the car world if youre into performance. Anyways let us know what you end up getting-GL
TLS is my #1 choice, mt is300 would be sweet but thats rare as well, hell even finding a lower mileage good condition at is300 is a challange.

I guess a MT base TL would be cool too, if all else fails my trusty TSX has never let me down!
Rawdog0 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:46 PM
  #77  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,445
Thanked 596 Times in 461 Posts
The 6MT TL-S is a way cooler car than the TSX.

Also faster.

But the rear seats don't fold down. So why TF would I buy one?
BROlando is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:47 PM
  #78  
WTF?
 
Midnight Mystery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi Coast
Age: 22
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 228 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
Btw the K20/24 engines as well as the 2JZ engines are considered awesome even legendary engines across the tuner world so Im not sure why im getting flak lol, its not like im trying to sell anyone one on an optima engine..
Midnight Mystery is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:54 PM
  #79  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,509
Thanked 792 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post

TLS is my #1 choice, mt is300 would be sweet but thats rare as well, hell even finding a lower mileage good condition at is300 is a challange.
And how many IS300s from back then can you find which weren't slammed?
horseshoez is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:37 PM
  #80  
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Posts: 6,677
Thanked 987 Times in 848 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post

I love them both actually.

The 2JZ engine in the IS300 isnt the turbo supra version but its still has a good power to weight ratio on the car, has proven to be incredibly reliable over the years and from what I hear its easy to work on.

I am not expert so Im not sure what you want to hear from me but I have driven the car plenty and absolutely love it, looks wise and the way the car handles, I just have always loved that car.

interior and gas mileage the TSX shits all over it though.
Originally Posted by Rawdog0 View Post
Btw the K20/24 engines as well as the 2JZ engines are considered awesome even legendary engines across the tuner world so Im not sure why im getting flak lol, its not like im trying to sell anyone one on an optima engine..

You are not getting flak but the problem are people don't know much in tunning making the 2JZ-GE engine looks like a 10 foot tall monster. The 2JZGTE found on mark 4 Supra indeed a beautiful over engineer engine, many features that seem like over kill for Supra power output but yet its there.

HOWEVER the 2JZGE which found on most RWD Lexus is a pale comparison to the GTE counter part, the only thing they have in common is the ENGINE BLOCK. That it beside that everything in the GE is shit compare with GTE counter part. Transmission is the way way, the R154 is shit compare to Getrag found on some Supra, so that like I am saying my TL-S engine is the beast because its the same engine use in 2nd gen NSX. You are sadly mistaken XD.

GTE can easily handle 600 WHP on stock internal and tranmission. However in the IS300 if you push anything above 375 WHP on stock form you ARE living in borrow time, I bet you didn't know the AT and MT gear box has similar ratio with the exception of 5th gear and final drive :P the A650E actually much safer to push for high power application by upgrading the valve body.

Well how do i know the IS300 handle and feel? BECAUSE I OWN ONE and WORKING on the car for 4 years along driving many other Lexus such as GS300 Sport design, LS430, GS350, RX300, ES330, LS460, ISF and RCF. So let me know how Lexus drive again?









Yes the engine is reliable and has good low end torque that it!!!! in mid end and high end RPM band it will absolute getting destroy by a K24A3 found on the 06-08 TSX stock vs stock with similar drive train configuration.

So to give an idea what the price difference on replacement part, my IS air iddle controller got replaced (OEM through online Lexus part) $186 plus shipping. Meanwhile my TL, TSX air idle controller cost me merely $40. OEM rack and pinion for the IS300 is $1900, my TL cost $400.

What you refer to "nice handling" actually has nothing to do with the IS300 suspension set up, its because the short wheel base and being RWD. If you drive any RWD car they can turn on a dime especially in low speed corner. Once you pushing the car limit you will encounter the soft suspension (which make a Lexus famous) before the predictable over steer.






Originally Posted by 90foxnotch View Post
Actually Im also a fan of the IS300 and was looking at them before my tl. I totally disagree with Shoes, those are another great looking sedan like the TL and offers rwd and a mt which is the best combo in the car world if youre into performance. Anyways let us know what you end up getting-GL
Honestly I think the IS300 is a great platform for those who want to learn basic performance driving and that probably why most of them end up having salvage, rebuilt title. The TL-S actually involve more skills than the IS300 in term of weight transfer, braking and managing the throttle.
truonghthe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSX owner, would the TLS be a big upgrade?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.