Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Type S Amsoil Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TL Type S Amsoil Oil Analysis

I can't say I'm real impressed with Amsoil's choice of subcontractors for these analyses, especially as a dealer. My next sample I'll probably send off to Blackstone labs because they seem to be less vague with the results. Anyway here it is. This was using an OEM filter (I've since switched back to Purolator PureOne and will switch to an Amsoil filter for the next change) and Amsoil 100% synthetic 5w30 (ASL). 59k miles on the car, about 5500 miles between changes. I had to call the tech and he told me that I could probably put another few thousand on it between changes.

No idea why it's flagged as abnormal. I think they originally didn't have enough information from me, which isn't surprising because the sample registration process was confusing as shit.

Thoughts from those who know what they're looking at?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

I just realized that pic came out really small. Not sure how I can host PDFs for people to see easier.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Unshunned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I just realized that pic came out really small. Not sure how I can host PDFs for people to see easier.
try http://freepdfhosting.com/
Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Crap the report has my address and cell # at the top, I don't really want to upload that for the world to see haha! The only thing that concerns me is the iron is sort of high, but I don't know when the service tech took the oil (right after removing the plug or right at the end of the drain cycle) and what kind of effect that would have on it.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

There susposed to let a little drain out before grabbing the sample if I'm correct. I know at my last job we did oil analysis on all the hydraulic tanks and I helped everytime with the benz oil rep. We tried to pull a sample from the middle of the tank. We also flushed the super long oil sucker every sample.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I had to call the tech and he told me that I could probably put another few thousand on it between changes.
??????????

As the TBN is too low, here's an explanation:
Total Base number (TBN)

The sulphur residues which are a byproduct of the combustion process enter the oil by way of blow-by. They then combine with oxygen from the air, and moisture to produce acids which if left unchecked will etch metal components in the engine.

Consequently, when we buy new engine oil, it has a ‘base reserve’ built in to the additive package, which is designed to neutralize the acids as they are produced. As with all acid base reactions, the 'base reserve' is used up in the process of neutralizing these acids.

This Base reserve is called the TOTAL BASE NUMBER which is a measure of the level of BASE in the oil and is determined by measuring the amount of Potassium Hydroxide in mg taken to neutralize the base reserve in 1 gram of oil (mgKOH/gm).

In the average engine oil, the starting TBN is usually around 6 to 9, however if we are looking to extended drain interval oils, we need to increase the initial TBN so we don't allow the reserve to be depleted before the oil is drained. In some oils, a starting TBN 15 is not un-common and a depletion level should never get below TBN 3, which is a signal to change the oil.

To me it looks as if the oil needs to be changed sooner to maintain the TBN above 3. I see you only have 5500 miles on the oil though. At least the TBN isn't zero.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by Turbonut
??????????

As the TBN is too low, here's an explanation:
Total Base number (TBN)

The sulphur residues which are a byproduct of the combustion process enter the oil by way of blow-by. They then combine with oxygen from the air, and moisture to produce acids which if left unchecked will etch metal components in the engine.

Consequently, when we buy new engine oil, it has a ‘base reserve’ built in to the additive package, which is designed to neutralize the acids as they are produced. As with all acid base reactions, the 'base reserve' is used up in the process of neutralizing these acids.

This Base reserve is called the TOTAL BASE NUMBER which is a measure of the level of BASE in the oil and is determined by measuring the amount of Potassium Hydroxide in mg taken to neutralize the base reserve in 1 gram of oil (mgKOH/gm).

In the average engine oil, the starting TBN is usually around 6 to 9, however if we are looking to extended drain interval oils, we need to increase the initial TBN so we don't allow the reserve to be depleted before the oil is drained. In some oils, a starting TBN 15 is not un-common and a depletion level should never get below TBN 3, which is a signal to change the oil.

To me it looks as if the oil needs to be changed sooner to maintain the TBN above 3. I see you only have 5500 miles on the oil though. At least the TBN isn't zero.
That's good to know, thanks!

I wonder how much of that is a product of the filter. I'm using a much better filter for this oil change and will be upgrading to an even better one the next time around.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

I don't believe the filter has anything to do with the results. It's the characteristics of the oil that is to neutralize the acids.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Every 3000. I'm a diehard fan of this no matter what.

I use Amsoil bought from WRX as well and still do it every 3000.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
there really is no benefit to the street driver in changing hi tech oils every 3000 or even 5500 miles
They should be designed to last about 8000 miles, since the car makers have made 7500 as the standard in change time..the oil last just past that...

Sure if you drive hard it can be done sooner for safety, but 3000 is for people still using a quickie change place with junk oil

I do mine at 6000-8000 with penz platinum on a K&N
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
there really is no benefit to the street driver in changing hi tech oils every 3000 or even 5500 miles
They should be designed to last about 8000 miles, since the car makers have made 7500 as the standard in change time..the oil last just past that...

Sure if you drive hard it can be done sooner for safety, but 3000 is for people still using a quickie change place with junk oil

I do mine at 6000-8000 with penz platinum on a K&N

It's certainly hard to break away from the 3000 mile mindset oil changes. Over the last 5 or 6 years I upped it to 4500, and now on the TL I let the MID determine the change, although at times it's a painful experience to watch the miles grow. Last change was 7700 miles, and on the ''08 Kia Optima runaround car I'm doing it at 7000 miles.
Got to say though, that on our modified RX-7 Turbo, the changes come at 2500/3000 miles with Rotella 15-40. Just too much invested in the little rotary to take a chance.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

It's interesting that the analysis recommends that I change probably somewhere exactly around 5k miles. That's with a really good oil too. Every vehicle is different I guess.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
The 3000 mile myth was disproven by (I believe) Pennzoil's own study, although they didn't realize it. Using NYC taxis as an example to change your oil isn't the best idea.

Good info on the TBN, though.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
It's interesting that the analysis recommends that I change probably somewhere exactly around 5k miles. That's with a really good oil too. Every vehicle is different I guess.
I think if you had a Blackstone Analysis, they would say you could ADD a 1000 or so miles. Blackstone uses a TBN of 1.0 as the cutoff and some people think that is even conservative. Since you had your oil analyzed by a vendor working for Amsoil -seems like Amsoil would like you to change your oil more frequently to make more money from you.

I follow the MID down to 10%, use a Purolator filter and synthetic (Q, M1 or Syntech) and have full confidence that the oil is not going to be the thing that kills my TL.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm using the amsoil 0w-30 signature series that they rate for 35,000 miles.. I'm going to change it now and I put about 20,000 miles. And the reason I'm changing is because I Need to change the filter, and I just feel more comfortable if I just dump new oil at the same time. Its amazing how technology has advanced so much but people still hold on to the older values in oil thinking it hasn't advance at all.