Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Life reset 3G Garage #F-157

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Life reset 3G Garage #F-157

I have followed instructions in manual to reset Oil Life indicator after an oil change. It doesn't work. Is there a trick??
Old 08-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Here’s the full procedure to reset the MID display, and also info at the bottom about other service reminders when you manually reset the MID yourself.

(The procedure on page 196 (of the 2004 owner's manual, and probably for later models also but if anyone has a later model with the correct procedure please let me know) of the manual is incorrect. In paragraph 3a of the manual, the requirement to hold the button for 10 seconds the second time it is pressed is omitted. If this is not done, the display will not reset.)

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Select Trip A or Trip B (You can use either one, so if you are using one to record data for something, use the other one to reset the Oil Life Indicator).

3. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

4. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.

This will explain what happens to the other services items when you reset the MID before the service due message appears.

From the service manual, page 3-6: (NOTE: This information is not in the owners manual.

NOTE: If you are resetting the display when the oil life is more than 15%, the maintenance message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed. Make sure the maintenance items requiring service have been performed before resetting the display.
      So this means if you change your oil before the 15% Service Due Soon is displayed, and you go to reset the display, if there are other items to be serviced, they will show up on the display, and if you clear the display the MID will take this to mean that you performed the required service.

To clear the display:
      After you get that service screen hold the reset/select for another 10 seconds.
      It will then ask you if you want to reset.
      Press the reset/select or the YES button (I forget which), and the MID will be reset

The statement from the service manual is a little vague, and I think they meant to say that if other items require service, the message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed, since if there is nothing else requiring service there would be no need for the message.

edit note: There is an explanation of how the MID works in the Acura Service News for September 2005 http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050900.PDF
      and more about how you will get additional reminders when resetting the MID before it reaches 15% in the Acura Service News for September 2006: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060900.PDF
      The following 3 users liked this post by Ron A:
      Anthony3 (02-17-2012), bleis (01-29-2013), EvilVirus (01-06-2016)
      Old 08-10-2004, 09:05 PM
      10th Gear

Thanks so much. You are 100% correct. I knew something was missing from manual.
      Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
      7th Gear

I have an '05 TL, and the manual doesn't say anything about pressing the SELECT/RESET button more than once.

When I hold the button in, it says SERVICE DUE SOON - B. I just had the oil changed today, and the dealer forgot to reset it. So do I hold it until I get that SERVICE warning, then release and re-press it for 10 seconds?
      Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 AM
      3rd Gear

Hi!

Semi-long-time reader; first post!

Since the owner's manual doesn't really detail the steps nor (apparently) do any of the threads in the the AcuraZine archives, here are the exact steps to re-set the Maintenance Minder on a 2007 TL. I figured out how to do it from reading the archives and then experimenting.

Scroll to Oil Life, press the SEL/RESET for about 10 seconds or until the "maintenance due" message re-appears (in my case it was "A1 Due Soon"), press SEL/RESET again until a new screen appears asking for confirmation to re-set the maintenance minder. Hit SEL/RESET to re-set otherwise cancel with the up/down buttons.

It works.
      Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
      7th Gear

Thanks - this worked for me.
      Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 PM
      Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
      Cool.
      Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 AM
      Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
      Nice to know, but I see this being abused by shady folks selling their cars as having major maintenance done simply by clearing the MID, namely the timing belt.

If I understand correctly that this statement clears all maintenance messages, not just those for oil changes: "Make sure the maintenance items requiring service have been performed before resetting the display."