3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MultiVex Mirrors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI ndx2... these mirrors have never come standard or as an option on any vehicles. They are aftermarket only. I'm not sure what a "9-3" is, but your buddy may have had some type of euro mirror, but even that is wierd...all cars imported into the U.S. must comply with the Fed Safety Regs on mirror convexity, which is to say FLAT on the driver side, and everso slightly convex on the passenger side (hence the "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR" warning).

Volvos and Audis have their versions of side view mirrors with expanded fields of view for their European versions, but have to go with the outdated American mirror regs when exporting here. To be sure, Multivex mirrors are VERY different from any convex mirror because each Multivex mirror template is made according to very complex line of sight equations and, as such, are actually "aspheric", which is a fancy way of saying they are combinations of convex and flat...or non-spherical. The side view of the photo BREWMASTER posted with the mirror laying flat demonstrates this property rather well...thanks!

Brewmaster, your'e probably already accustomed to them by now, but just in case, remember to use quick glances into your mirrors the way race car drivers do...don't stare into them (or any mirror for that matter). If you give quick glances into the inner portion of the mirror (the inner half closest to you), the mirror itself brings the rest of the field into view naturally. Hope that helps, and thank you for sharing your "views" in here! Drive safely, everyone!!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:17 AM
6MT & LSD

9-3 as in saab 9-3. I'll go snap a pic of his mirror, rather than trying to explain it.

also, my dad's denali has this on his passenger side - standard.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Repecat
Thanks for the pics. Very thorough. After you have adjusted to them in a week or so, please provide us with your evaluation.
I have had these on my TL for a couple of months, and I really, really like them. Brewmaster posted an outstanding set of pictures. These mirrors do take some getting used to, but truly the increased field of vision is great, Certainly, if you stare into the mirror and "study" the image, things look very distorted. On the other hand, if you need to make a quick lane change and only have a small fraction of a second to see what may be in "harms way:, you can't beat these mirrors. If you do a lot of high speed freeway driving or "heavy, multilane" city driving these are great!

Just give yourself time to adjust to them; I was ready to remove mine the second day . . . today-- I'd pay twice the price to get them.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Rick. I've had them for a couple of weeks now. They take a little getting used to. I have been trying to break the habit of looking over to the next lane in addition to checking the mirrors. With the multivex mirrors you don't need to do that.
The only thing that I have problems with is using the mirrors to judge how far ahead you are of the car next to you in order to judge whether you can change lanes without cutting that person off. When the car in the next lane is on that curved part of the mirror it is hard to figure out how far back they are.
Other than that I really like them. I'd buy them again for my TL in a heart beat. My other vehicles have excellent visibility so I am not sure that I will buy them for my other cars. The TL has very poor visibility (out of the sides and rear) compared to my other vehicles.

Dino
Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 AM
6MT & LSD

here's a pic of the passenger side mirror on '04 saab 9-3... came standard, not an option or dealer installed.

does the job of getting rid of the blindspot, without compromising the look.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Instructor

So are the blindspots completely gone? You never have to turn your head?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:40 AM
but you can call me Ken.

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
seems like a cool thing to use. I like the 400m broadway convex mirror personally.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm Baaack!

Kind of tough to explain but here goes: if you look in the before and after pics above, the mirror didn't move at all. In the image (although hard to see because of the distance) at about the bottom edge of the driveway the bend in the mirror gets pretty dramatic. So if you look at the inside edge (the minivan) that's a vehicle that's pretty far back and safe for you to merge.

As it gets closer it will begin to move towards the outside edge. You can follow it in the mirror all the way until you see it coming up besides you. (all in peripheral vision). To use the mirror you look at the inside edge and you'll "see" any vehicles from rear view mirro all the way to right next to driver's door in the mirror.

It's pretty quick to get used to the mirrors, the only reason I turn my head over my shoulder now is because of old habits.

Any other questions feel free to PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:11 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Alternatives to round bubbles

Love to see the pix. I looked for an alternative to the round bubbles but have come up empty so far. Lots of cheap junk on the market. Just try to find a 2.25" or 2.5" bubble. They all seem to be 2" or 3"

Originally Posted by ndx2
why do you use round convex mirrors? I think it's much better to use those rectangular ones (wedge-like ones) - they look better and, imo, work better. I'll snap a pic of it on mine and post it if anyone's interested.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:56 AM
6MT & LSD

here you go, triggle.

$1.69 ea. from autozone. i think you can order these online.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rick-H
I have had these on my TL for a couple of months, and I really, really like them. Brewmaster posted an outstanding set of pictures. These mirrors do take some getting used to, but truly the increased field of vision is great, Certainly, if you stare into the mirror and "study" the image, things look very distorted. On the other hand, if you need to make a quick lane change and only have a small fraction of a second to see what may be in "harms way:, you can't beat these mirrors. If you do a lot of high speed freeway driving or "heavy, multilane" city driving these are great!

Just give yourself time to adjust to them; I was ready to remove mine the second day . . . today-- I'd pay twice the price to get them.
Just wondering if anyone that got their mirrors recently had anymore feedback. Thanks to Brewmaster for his comments. We love to hear 'em all, though...positive OR negative. FYI, we made an adjustment in the adhesive on the back so that the TL mirrors fit even deeper into the housing...couldn't have done it without the feedback, so THANK YOU!! Kenney
Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone used these or still use these? Sorry for digging up an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one. I'm looking to either get these or the broadway mirror. Any suggestions? These seem like they would be helpful, since we have soo many blindspots!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by triggle
When I got my TL I was dissapointed that I had to give up my Broadway mirror because it wouldn't fit over the TLs fat mirror with the light sensor and switch. The Broadway was tinted, wide angle and made a huge difference in visibility.
Flip the Broadway mirror upside down. It will fit if you don't mind the upside down text in the lower right corner. I've been using one in my car for months now.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the medium size (?mm) broadway mirror now (have to installed upside down, in order for it to clam on), I still get blind spot.

Regarding the OP's mirror that cost $60 a pair, I might have to consider that. Broadway mirror cost about $20-$30..
Old 06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by datmrman
Flip the Broadway mirror upside down. It will fit if you don't mind the upside down text in the lower right corner. I've been using one in my car for months now.
just reminding you chris this thread is over a year old.......

I just wanted to see if anyone is still using these
Old 06-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been looking for a euro spec drivers mirror since I got the car. So far the multivex looks the most promising. I had one of those round stick on mirrors on my car for a couple of days, thought it looked fugly, took it off. The broadway mirror is just an inside mirror, correct?

I had a euro drivers mirror on my volvo and it was great.

Dave
Old 06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
The Broadway mirror just goes over the rearview mirror. You lose the auto dimming feature, but you gain a wider rear view.

I was aware that this thread was old, but I just wanted to point out the Broadway mirrors work if flipped upside down.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Pro

I guess I need to take a closer look at my visibility. I don't think I have any blindspots. Are you guys sure you are setting your mirrors correctly? This doesn't seem to be any issue with me.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by brianp6621
I guess I need to take a closer look at my visibility. I don't think I have any blindspots. Are you guys sure you are setting your mirrors correctly? This doesn't seem to be any issue with me.
You must have eyes in the back of you head

Is there a correct way to set the mirrors, other than being able to see the lanes to your sides? There is just alot of things I can not see.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Pro

The "correct" way is ... well here's the link.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

If you do this right, a car should never completely dissappear when transitioning from your rearview mirror to your side mirrors. I'm not exactly sure how far up on my side the car has to come before I can't see it in my side mirror, but I'm pretty sure I'd see it in my peripheral vision before that occurs.

One thing I will say is initially I could see very little out the rear view due to the rear headrests but one day while cleaning I realized they were nearly all the way up, so I put them all the way day and that helped alot.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Pro

The "correct" way is ... well here's the link.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/

If you do this right, a car should never completely dissappear when transitioning from your rearview mirror to your side mirrors. I'm not exactly sure how far up on my side the car has to come before I can't see it in my side mirror, but I'm pretty sure I'd see it in my peripheral vision before that occurs.

One thing I will say is initially I could see very little out the rear view due to the rear headrests but one day while cleaning I realized they were nearly all the way up, so I put them all the way day and that helped alot.

No offense but I've tried that way and don't like it. I'm used to using the sides of my car as reference points. With that method I lose that ref point.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dmarcus48
No offense but I've tried that way and don't like it. I'm used to using the sides of my car as reference points. With that method I lose that ref point.
I understand but on the other hand, your way, your not happy with the blind spots, so I guess neither way is perfect for you.

However IMO you can adjust to having your mirrors set this way and it will actually be safer than the blind spots, but you can't "adjust" to having the blind spots.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Pro

I understand but on the other hand, your way, your not happy with the blind spots, so I guess neither way is perfect for you.

However IMO you can adjust to having your mirrors set this way and it will actually be safer than the blind spots, but you can't "adjust" to having the blind spots.

Of course you are right. My last car was a Volvo and I was able to get a european mirror which replaced the stock mirror glass. It was just like the passsenger side glass. That was great, no blind spots at all. Took a little while to get used to it, you still had to look in the rear view to judge distance, but boy could you see wide. That's what I would like for my TL. The thing was the euro glass wasn't a stick on mirror it was a replacement, heaters still worked.

In fact when I first got the mirror for my Volvo, my wife (who rarely drives my car) said "i really don't like these mirrors, I can't judge the distance". On our last long drive (we switch on and off) she said "I really love these mirrors".

Dave
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

I have had MultiVex Mirrors on my '97 F-150 for 9 years. When we bought my wife’s MDX in '01, I worked with MultiVex to create the template for the '01 MDX MultiVex Mirrors. In '02 my father bought an MDX and I worked with MultiVex to create the templates for the '02 MDX template.

Last week I bought my '06 TL and I'll be getting MultiVex Mirrors for it. The technical information at the manufacturer site http://www.multivexmirror.com/ is very clear in describing the technology and benefits.

I feel that these mirrors all but eliminate the blind spots. When driving, I check the MultiVex first and often see cars which are not in my rear-view and wouldn't have been in my standard side-view. If I see clear in the MultiVex, I still usually check the blind spot by turning my head. If you're about safety, you should give these a try.

(I am not affiliated with MultiVex in any way, other than being a happy repeat customer. I will add them to all of my vehicles). Thanks!

Mark
'06 Alabaster Silver
Auto/Navi
A-Spec Body Kit
Rear Wing
Old 08-04-2006, 10:20 PM
B A N N E D

Ok... everyone wants to know how do u install new mirrors? i am willing to purchase the mirrors for my 06 acura TL as soon as I know I can do the installation... lol someone do a DIY if u guys can. Thanks alot )))
Old 08-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

The mirrors are simply an aspherically bent piece of mirror glass with double-sided 3M tape on the back. These fit atop your factory mirror glass (i.e. no new housing or anything). If you do this, natuurally you lose the auto-dimming benefit that the factor blueish mirror glass provides. However, the bend of the MultiVex will reflect light differently, so at night, they do not reflect into the driver's eyes as a flat mirror glass would.

The bend of the mirrors is performed to exacting specifications for each mirror model. The details are interesting: http://www.multivexmirror.com/technology.html

I'm not sure that the TL '04-'05 side mirror glass size is exactly the same as that for the '06, but at a glance the MultiVex template for the '04/'05 appears to be the size/shape of my '06 mirror. The other thing that I'm not sure about is the clearance that exists between the factory glass and housing when the mirror does the Reverse tilt (either side-view mirror can be set to tilt downeard when the '06 TL transmission is put in Reverse). Since the MultiVex sits atop the factory glass (about 5 mm thick), there may be an issue with clearance. On my other 3 MultiVex installs, there was no issue wth this since the MultiVex is smaller in diameter than the factory glass by about 1 or 2 mm. There has been no interference with the remote operation/tilting of my other installs. I'm expecting no issues with the '06 TL.

If anyone has put MultiVex lenses on their '06, maybe they could confirm the size (compared to the '05) and the clearance during the reverse tilt (do the <'06 models have the tilt function?). If nobody has these on an '06, I'll post my experience in a couple of weeks when I get them installed.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Hello again, all! Here's some answers for you...

Hello again everyone! Wow...this thread is old but gold! Honda's are ubiquitous in their blind spot problems so I am not suprised to see the issue re-visited from time to time. Element owners are currently some of our best customers.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the guy who gets the word out on Multivex Mirrors to the online community. your moderator was kind enough to allow me to enter your forum and answer questions, and I am still thankful for the privelege.

To answer the installation question, the Multivex mirrors attach OVER your original mirror glass using the newest, high-tech 3M adhesive placed strategically in "stacks" on the back of the mirrors. I believe there are pics posted towards the beginning of this thread from mchester (hiya!!) ...they are guaranteed to stay on for 5 years, but we have had no cases of them ever falling off 9that we're aware of) when installed properly on clean dry glass. if you have heated mirrors, you can run a small bead of black silicone up the sides and across the top of the gap between the mirrors (leaving the bottom of the gap open for moisture drainage) and they work just as good as the originals.

As far as just adjusting your mirrors to see your blind spots, we HIGHLY recommend that you don't use this method. The adjustment is inexact at best, and even when properly done doesn't cover the entire blind spot (depending on the size and shape of the OEM mirror). And what happens if someone bumps or otherwise slightly knocks your mirror out of adjustment? Then you THINK your mirrors are still adjusted (with no reference that they are out of adjustment) and SMACK into the car in your blind spot. To get the same safety as a Multivex mirror, you would have to make the mirror adjustment each and every time you got in your car!! With our blind spot mirror technology , even if the mirror is out of adjustment, you can still see whats going on around your car. Heck, even a bubble mirror is a better solution than the old "adjustment" solution.

So, just a quick reminder; our Multivex Blind Spot Mirror site, http://www.safetymirrorsonline.com was the original site referenced in here and your continued patronage would be greatly appreciated! We signed up to be the online voice of the company because they don't have the time or wherewithall in Detroit to go to forums and answer questions and work with the forums to do group buys, post photos, etc. nor work at online advertising, search rankings etc. in order to spread the good word. They are busy just cutting the glass and filling our orders...and we love them but truly appreciate and are ever so honored by your loyalty to us!! It helps spread the word around to other owner groups as well. Because of the participation in this forum, we were able to make the Honda Element owners some of our best current customers!!

Thanks again, everyone and any other questions whatsoever, just ask me. I'll be here, or feel free to e-mail me at kenney@safetymirrorsonline.com ....Drive Safely!!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:08 PM
B A N N E D

Get a DIY going and I wll purchase for sure on the spot. I am 100% intrested. I hate turning around and looking.. i like just lookin in the mirror and possibly leaning....
Old 08-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Racer

I use a little stick on wedge shaped "convex" mirror. It cost $1.99 and has been on my car for almost 10 years and works great. I don't find it noticable, so it's not an issue for me. I will definitely get one when I get my TL, it does have bad blind spot.......
Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Airline jet aircraft tech

Can someone who has purchaced these mirrors from Multivex please post the part number for our TL's? Our vehicle was not listed on their website.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:50 PM
B A N N E D

Maddog, they are under asian products, i have an 06 and it doesnt show that they r selling 06 models man. I will be purchasing this product. Also your 35% cermaic tint is it really nice than what goes on regularly when u go to a tint shop and just tell em to put on 35%? i paid 120$ for mine and they just put ojn what they had, idont think its cermaic if so please let me know man. Thanks alot
Old 08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Hey indycar mirrors - Any chance of setting up a group buy with the moderator? It sounds like there is some new interest....
Old 08-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by ThrotTLup
Hey indycar mirrors - Any chance of setting up a group buy with the moderator? It sounds like there is some new interest....
It's not the moderator that does this. We just watch what happens.

Whoever wants to start it has to get with Multivex and find out if they are interested and how many people they would need and what the selling price would be and then he can post here to see how many people would be interested in the mirrors.

Usually we let someone post a thread to see how much interest there is, but in this case it might be better to contact the manufacturer first to see if they would even be interested, because they would have to sign on as a vendor and pay the fees to sell here.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Airline jet aircraft tech

Originally Posted by holybear
Maddog, they are under asian products, i have an 06 and it doesnt show that they r selling 06 models man. I will be purchasing this product. Also your 35% cermaic tint is it really nice than what goes on regularly when u go to a tint shop and just tell em to put on 35%? i paid 120$ for mine and they just put ojn what they had, idont think its cermaic if so please let me know man. Thanks alot
Ya get what you pay for. Mine was $349.00 by Solarworks in the ATL with moleskins and warranty. They were recommended here because they were experianced with the 3G TL. The work was done correctly, and it was well worth the 100 mile round trip.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm Baaack!

HEy all ... haven't been here in a while and was surprised to see a thread on the first page that I had already been in ... I still have the mirrors and they are still the best mod I've done to my TL. the only thing I will tell you is be carefull where you place the mirrors. I have intermittent problems with my mirror as it comes back from the reverse tilt because I placed the mirror a bit too high and it hits the frame, haulting it's auto return. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ThrotTLup
Hi Thrtlup! Our group buys usually run about 10 pair minimums for a $10/ discount per pair if they are all the same mirrors, so about $50/pr. Do you think there ar 10 pairs worth in here? If not, we can still probably figure something out. Also, whenever I do this, I have to get the thumbs up from Detroit first to make sure we have the right tooling (I still have to find out about the '06 TLs and make sure they didn't change the mirror from '05), delivery times, etc. I'll talk to them first thing Monday morning and get right back w/ some answers. Thanks again! Kenney
Old 08-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by indycar mirrors
Hi Thrtlup! Our group buys usually run about 10 pair minimums for a $10/ discount per pair if they are all the same mirrors, so about $50/pr. Do you think there ar 10 pairs worth in here? If not, we can still probably figure something out. Also, whenever I do this, I have to get the thumbs up from Detroit first to make sure we have the right tooling (I still have to find out about the '06 TLs and make sure they didn't change the mirror from '05), delivery times, etc. I'll talk to them first thing Monday morning and get right back w/ some answers. Thanks again! Kenney
I'm pretty sure I can find you atleast 3-4 local San Diegans that will go in on this. When you contact Detroit, ask them about positioning so it doesn't interfer with the auto roll down feature. Thats something that concearns me.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Pro

I'd be interested in a group buy.

Dave
Old 08-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
I have contacted indycar mirrors about becoming a vendor here, so if you are interested post it here so he can get an idea of how many people might want to get in on the group buy.

He hasn't replied to my PM yet or acknowledged receipt, but this is Sunday so give it a little time. When I know something I will post it here.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Ron A, please count me in! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: MultiVex Mirrors...