Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifespan of a TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm not sure how many miles your car will last but I've had a few Hondas in my life and the 1st one was a 1987 Civic SI hatchback and before one kid decided to drive thru a stop sign, it had 220k with the same clutch and of course it was maintained like I maintain my TL, so if with technology having improved since and the TL being a "better" vehicle I'm hoping that at least I can get 300k .... I repeat...."at least".....
Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 96 Honda Accord with 241k on the clock. I expect my TL to be just as reliable.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondas and Acuras last forever! 2nd Generation TLs are still running with a lot of miles still on them
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Pro

i have a work van 'chevy 2500' and it has over 255,000 miles on it and have a buddy that has a 92 accord that has 348,000 miles on it and gives it hell everyday. Matter of fact we raced it against another friends 2007 Civic SI and it kept up pretty well!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Pro

I'm pretty sure your newer 3G's are even more reliable.

My 2G TLS is at 153k and still runs like a champ. Starts right up, nice, quiet and smooth. And then I just seafoamed yesterday too.

Dyno'd it a couple weeks ago on 18" rims and it was making 225whp so it's still performing.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521
after reading this thread I dont feel bad for having almost 46,000 on my 06. I was actually just thinking about how i have way too many miles on it on my way to school earlier!

This car is great for long drives.

And bukjoe and mmade22 have you guys seafoamed your cars yet?

I do the seafoam every 6 months 30k miles. The car runs like a champ. I do have the 6 speed so I am not worried about the tranny. OP, that is the only thing I would be worried about. The engine doesn't burn a drop of oil....I put 4.5 quarts in and get 4.5 quarts out...It's a beautiful thing..Oh and the oil is clean too but I am sticking to the 5000 mile oil changes.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Can you tell me what seafoam is/does? Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm lost..

Maintain the car properly and often (as per schedule) with frequent oil changes, and any car will last a VERY long time.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Racer

you need to get your math straight, because what you save by living at parents house you overspend by putting that many miles on a car. If your car gets totalled by some reason, the insurance company will only give you blue book value...and given the amt of money you owe on it, you are most likely to be upside down. You will end up making payments on a car you don't have, that's why negative equity is NEVER a good thing.

Longevity of a car is a very subjective thing- everyone's experiences vary. If someone's car lasted 250K it does not mean that yours will.

An ideal situation for such a commute is to buy a car in cash......
Old 04-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

i've got 117k on my '04 and I plan to go to 200k+ and then hand it off to my kid. TLs will last if you take care of them.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by paliknight
damn. that means your car will only last around 2-3 more years tops at this rate.

70k a year X 3 =210k + 130K = 340k ??? if you maintain your car properly.
I hope it don't

Originally Posted by Majofo
.. awe he'll be fine.. but that's certainly a lot of miles in a year. I love cruising in the TL but damn..
Yea hopfully it will be over this summer i will graduate

Originally Posted by Babnik
It is debatable whether you need synthetic oil. Dino oil has come a long way.

Also, starting to use synethetic on a high mileage vehicle which has not used synthetic before can cause problems because it can loosen engine deposits which can clog things.

Also if you do mostly highway driving, changing the oil every 5000 miles is not necessary and unlikely to prolong engine life. Just go by the MID.
NAAA i'll be alright its better than using cheap oil i have Mixed oil every time i change my oil... for some odd reason i for get to buy 5w 30 but i end up buying 10w 30 all the time so everything is smooth i think oil is just oil it all works the same. i use to buy oil at familly dollar for a buck a quart and put it in my nissan sentra and car was driving good i had 250k miles on it when i sold it. lol

Originally Posted by Babnik
If you spend $100 a week on gas, I am pretty sure you would not spend that much renting a room closer to school. Also you wouldn't have the high risk of accident, the more you drive the more likely you are to be involved in one. I personally would never be willing to commute that much but that's just me.
I said it use to be that high because when gas was up 3 or 4 bucks a gallon. but its ok now i would say in one week 60 bucks. but the accident part, you can live anywhere and still drive and get into a big accident.

Originally Posted by mmade22
^^^^ No and no. Change the oil exactly as you have been. Driving more has it's risks of accidents but driving all highway in the south is a cake walk. This isn't NY/NJ city driving we are dealing with.
i will do that man

Originally Posted by pnoi521
after reading this thread I dont feel bad for having almost 46,000 on my 06. I was actually just thinking about how i have way too many miles on it on my way to school earlier!

This car is great for long drives.

And bukjoe and mmade22 have you guys seafoamed your cars yet?
There is a engineer at my work place his house is right down the street. he bought his 2005 TL brand new and from this day on he only got 8k miles, i was like dang dude thats really good and i told him how many miles i got on mine he was shocked

Originally Posted by HEK
Well I'm not sure how many miles your car will last but I've had a few Hondas in my life and the 1st one was a 1987 Civic SI hatchback and before one kid decided to drive thru a stop sign, it had 220k with the same clutch and of course it was maintained like I maintain my TL, so if with technology having improved since and the TL being a "better" vehicle I'm hoping that at least I can get 300k .... I repeat...."at least".....
+1
Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
I have a 96 Honda Accord with 241k on the clock. I expect my TL to be just as reliable.
ME TO
Originally Posted by D-MacTL
Hondas and Acuras last forever! 2nd Generation TLs are still running with a lot of miles still on them
I hope the 3G does the same

Originally Posted by pearlite TL
i have a work van 'chevy 2500' and it has over 255,000 miles on it and have a buddy that has a 92 accord that has 348,000 miles on it and gives it hell everyday. Matter of fact we raced it against another friends 2007 Civic SI and it kept up pretty well!
Damn 348k thats a record

Originally Posted by ts_vaj
I'm pretty sure your newer 3G's are even more reliable.

My 2G TLS is at 153k and still runs like a champ. Starts right up, nice, quiet and smooth. And then I just seafoamed yesterday too.

Dyno'd it a couple weeks ago on 18" rims and it was making 225whp so it's still performing.
Where do you get sea foam from???

I do the seafoam every 6 months 30k miles. The car runs like a champ. I do have the 6 speed so I am not worried about the tranny. OP, that is the only thing I would be worried about. The engine doesn't burn a drop of oil....I put 4.5 quarts in and get 4.5 quarts out...It's a beautiful thing..Oh and the oil is clean too but I am sticking to the 5000 mile oil changes.
Where do you get SEAFOAM from
Originally Posted by sgtapmystical
Can you tell me what seafoam is/does? Thanks
YES ME TO

Originally Posted by ray-ban
Maintain the car properly and often (as per schedule) with frequent oil changes, and any car will last a VERY long time.
I will do that

Originally Posted by Kostyan
you need to get your math straight, because what you save by living at parents house you overspend by putting that many miles on a car. If your car gets totalled by some reason, the insurance company will only give you blue book value...and given the amt of money you owe on it, you are most likely to be upside down. You will end up making payments on a car you don't have, that's why negative equity is NEVER a good thing.

Longevity of a car is a very subjective thing- everyone's experiences vary. If someone's car lasted 250K it does not mean that yours will.

What ever man. Like i said easy said then done. and about the car accident thingy. no matter where you at a accident can still happen
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
i've got 117k on my '04 and I plan to go to 200k+ and then hand it off to my kid. TLs will last if you take care of them.
lucky kid.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 PM
200,000 mile club

Originally Posted by Kostyan

OK DAD! Anyway.....Buckjoe, Seafoam can be bought at any Autozone car center. Put it in the tank or run it through the injectors. I am surprised you never used it.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Pro

OK DAD! Anyway.....Buckjoe, Seafoam can be bought at any Autozone car center. Put it in the tank or run it through the injectors. I am surprised you never used it.
i need to use it but i though it was some kind of formula other than car formula because i was watching youtube and i saw a guy with a heniken bottle with seafoam in it pouring it into his gas tank.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Pro

HELP HELP HELP!!!!! I just tried that sea foam from autozone and i vacum half into the intake the hose right next to the TB and put the other half into the gas tank. I then waited 15 mins. to start the car back up and rev it so the smoke would come out but i didnt see no smoke...... did i do something wrong? i sat there and rev it for 10 mins nothing came out... what did i do worng. i want to thank you in advance.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I had 95k on my TL -- highway and city driving 50/50 mix .. aggressively driving early and gentle driving in the last 20k -- NO MAJOR PROBLEMS EVER.

All service done at the stealership (i had a good relationship at Continental Acura, i got big discounts) and never any issues period with that car -- i'll miss it deeply.

It's just hard for me to keep a car past 100k ... because, ANYTHING can happen and it'll cost ya on a $30k+ car...
Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
and I agree .. the TL is the ULTIMATE highway car... especially in Aspec format...
Old 04-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Good Lord. Don't use Sea Foam.. there's something really fishy about it.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
lol..
Old 04-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I had 95k on my TL -- highway and city driving 50/50 mix .. aggressively driving early and gentle driving in the last 20k -- NO MAJOR PROBLEMS EVER.

All service done at the stealership (i had a good relationship at Continental Acura, i got big discounts) and never any issues period with that car -- i'll miss it deeply.

It's just hard for me to keep a car past 100k ... because, ANYTHING can happen and it'll cost ya on a $30k+ car...
i would miss it to
to late
Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bukjoe15
i would miss it to

to late
I trust you knew it was tongue-in-cheek humor?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by bukjoe15
HELP HELP HELP!!!!! I just tried that sea foam from autozone and i vacum half into the intake the hose right next to the TB and put the other half into the gas tank. I then waited 15 mins. to start the car back up and rev it so the smoke would come out but i didnt see no smoke...... did i do something wrong? i sat there and rev it for 10 mins nothing came out... what did i do worng. i want to thank you in advance.
sounds like everything went well.. if you didn't see any smoke then that means there was hardly any buildup. So you're all good bukjoe and it sounds like your engine & fuel system is healthy.. . SouthernBoy was just messing with you, SeaFoam is a good product, you'll be fine.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Ride or Die !!

Question ???

How long before any of you 6mt owners changed the clutch?
This is because I have a 2007 but I drive long distance to school every day? I was just wondering because I'am pushing 50,000 miles already and did not even need to change the brakes yet!!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:53 PM
200,000 mile club

128,000 miles.....original clutch. It's all how you drive the car.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Pro

I trust you knew it was tongue-in-cheek humor?
Oh sorry lol

Originally Posted by Majofo
sounds like everything went well.. if you didn't see any smoke then that means there was hardly any buildup. So you're all good bukjoe and it sounds like your engine & fuel system is healthy.. . SouthernBoy was just messing with you, SeaFoam is a good product, you'll be fine.
Yea after reading feedbacks i think i did it right and a little wrong. lol now i know that he is just messing around, some people hate seafoam and dont suggest you put it in your car and somepeople recomend you use the product in the car. i though he was the people that hated it. sorry

Originally Posted by DJANZ07
How long before any of you 6mt owners changed the clutch?
This is because I have a 2007 but I drive long distance to school every day? I was just wondering because I'am pushing 50,000 miles already and did not even need to change the brakes yet!!!!
Yea i bought the car around 60k miles give or take and i have not changed my brakes since... i am supprise that it does not have to be changed yet

128,000 miles.....original clutch. It's all how you drive the car.
+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by ChucksCL-S
300,000 miles easily by using synthetic oil.

lol okay like you can never reach 300K on regular dino oil.......

1982 chrysler 5th avenue with a 318 went 380K on regular oil........
Old 02-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Need advice

I have a 2005 TL base auto. It has 154k. I absolutely love the car, did all the maintenance on it, nothing but synthetic the whole 9. Installed a spec suspension 3 years ago. Today my mechanic told me it has a rear seal leak. I'm guessing that will run anywhere between $500-$1000. This leads me to think, is this just a taste of things to come and should I maybe try to get rid of it and get something newer or fix it and keep driving. I don't have an issue fixing it, but if I continue to have more issues like this maybe it's time to flip the page. Please advise, how reliable are 3g TLs at this point? Am I in for more serious issues or is this kinda fix it and keep driving for couple of years type of thing. Please help.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
well... take into consideration you're driving an 11 year old car. Things eventually wear out. Will it last long? Who knows. An oil leak isn't the end of the world. Is it ugly? yes. Is it annoying? yes. Will it get worse over time? yes. But can you keep driving your car without issue? Well, as long as you check the oil every so often and top it off, I don't see why not.

Some TLs go through a lot of issues. Some don't. It's hit and miss. If you like the car and you see value in it, then keep driving it. You can either drop $30000-40000 on a new TLX, or you can spend $500-1000 to fix a minor problem. I know which I'd go with.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Why resurrect a 7 year old thread?
Old 02-24-2016, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Why resurrect a 7 year old thread?
Why start a new one?

Originally Posted by youngTL
I don't understand the logic of buying a beater to commute. If I'm spending a ton of time in my car, it better be nice. But of course I'd be willing to pay for that.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily call a ten year old TL a beater, if it was taken care of throughout it's life. I mean, it can't really be compared to new cars these days, but it still has plenty of creature comforts and looks good.
The following users liked this post:
ggesq (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by sovietmusclr
I have a 2005 TL base auto. It has 154k. I absolutely love the car, did all the maintenance on it, nothing but synthetic the whole 9. Installed a spec suspension 3 years ago. Today my mechanic told me it has a rear seal leak. I'm guessing that will run anywhere between $500-$1000. This leads me to think, is this just a taste of things to come and should I maybe try to get rid of it and get something newer or fix it and keep driving. I don't have an issue fixing it, but if I continue to have more issues like this maybe it's time to flip the page. Please advise, how reliable are 3g TLs at this point? Am I in for more serious issues or is this kinda fix it and keep driving for couple of years type of thing. Please help.
Is it leaving drops of oil on the floor after being parked overnight? If not, then it's not bad at this point. I'd just keep an eye on it. Sometimes rear seal leaks stop as suddenly as they started, you never know. It's a $9 part but about $900 in labor.

You might try replacing the PCV valve. There's a theory that a plugged PCV valve could be creating an over-pressure causing the seal to leak. It's a ~$25 part and takes about 3 minutes to replace.
The following 2 users liked this post by nfnsquared:
ggesq (02-24-2016), YeuEmMaiMai (12-17-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I have an 06 TL with 153000 an is currently in shop getting tranny rebuilt, hope it will last at least another 150000. Selling my civic with 412000 miles to a friend, and yes I keep all maintenance up to date at every 100,000. Timing belt,water pump,belts,plugs,fluids,hoses,etc... So yes they will go if you take care of them. Granted it is a straight shift so that helped out. Only one clutch put in, but it uses no oil or drips not a drop. Also must have got lucky here because have never replaced starter or alternator. And no seals or gaskets have been replaced.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:55 PM
7th Gear

I'm hoping this vehicle ends up as reliable as my 97 4Runner has been.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have around 265K miles on my TL and haven't had any major issues. The transmission developed a shudder with 2nd-to-3rd and 3rd-to-4th gear changes but that was resolved with a 3x3 service. Also had the power steering pump inlet seal problem fixed recently. Other than that, the only other issues have been the various burned-out interior light bulbs. My commute is about 165 miles round trip.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TacoBello
well... take into consideration you're driving an 11 year old car. Things eventually wear out. Will it last long? Who knows. An oil leak isn't the end of the world. Is it ugly? yes. Is it annoying? yes. Will it get worse over time? yes. But can you keep driving your car without issue? Well, as long as you check the oil every so often and top it off, I don't see why not.

Some TLs go through a lot of issues. Some don't. It's hit and miss. If you like the car and you see value in it, then keep driving it. You can either drop $30000-40000 on a new TLX, or you can spend $500-1000 to fix a minor problem. I know which I'd go with.
I testdrove a 2015 TLX yesterday. It is a very nice car without a doubt, tons of bells and whistles. That being said, the way transmission shifted made me uneasy (especially 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd) so I decided to stay away at least for now. Does anyone know if it is a mechanical issue with the transmission that could impact long term reliability or a software glitch that could be worked out.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
You're talking about the big gripe that is all over the 5th gen TLX forums. It seems like the '16s have not much issues...but there is some TSB with software updates for the '15 cars that seems to be a fix.

Link to post here: https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15696265

Some other threads to browse through for information:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...ra-tlx-941550/

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...ed-out-939809/

If you're looking at a used one, make sure the proper TSBs have been done. They are not mandatory like recalls so non-auto sophisticated owners may neglect them...especially now that cars are rolling computers....

Last edited by nist7; 03-06-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:02 PM
10th Gear

My father had a '98 3.0 CL (J30 engine) it was still running at 338K miles until he got rear ended. He never used synthetic only regular oil.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
And here I was crying for putting 140 miles yesterday on my TLS lol...
Old 12-13-2016, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
One thing that I can recommend is making higher monthly payments so you can get rid of your loan quicker.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
^^ OP bought his car in 2008, so I'm guessing it's paid off by now.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
258K and still flying high!

With the help of Regular synthetic oil changes of course.

Quick Reply: Lifespan of a TL