Honestly: Would you recommend a Acura TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Honestly: Would you recommend a Acura TLX?

I own a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L which I bought brand new with 97,800 miles on it. Not a darn thing has gone wrong with this vehicle and it has been fantastic for my family.

We are now in the market for a new car and have test drove the 2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and really like it. The sticker is around $32,500 for it with the hopes of getting it around $30,000 if we went that route.

On the other hand I really like Acura's and have been heavily considering the TLX instead, especially since the upgrade is about $5,000 for the V6 model we are interested in.

BUT with the issues I've read about concerning the 2015 model, and the fact the 2016 is a complete carry-over model year, I want to get the opinions of those that have owned both years on whether they would recommend them to a new buyer like myself.

So would you recommend the TLX?

Would you recommend going with the Accord V6?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Honestly, no. I got a loaded 2016 TLX as a loaner car while my 2G RL was in for recall work. I couldn't stand it. Didn't like the seating, didn't like the dash layout, and I absolutely HATE the new gear shifter Honda/Acura uses now. The transmission on that TLX really got on my nerves.

I'll gladly take my 05 RL over a new TLX.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Members with 2016 MY are not reporting any issues with the tranny just FYI.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Take extended test drives with both.

Welcome to AcuraZine.

Last edited by ggesq; 02-01-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I have a 2015, one of the first SH-AWDs (I got it in Nov 2014). Except for a mild case of the 2-3 shift, it has been an awesome vehicle. It really is meant for German roads with their lack of speed limits. Even at 70mph it's basically asleep and doesn't really come alive til above 80 mph. It feels so solid and planted, and it is fantastic around curves. Very comfortable and I love how it looks. If only it were entirely invisible to police cars!
The following users liked this post:
CPR (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
When I was shopping for a new car I considered the TLX and the Accord, obviously I went with the TLX.

I went with the TLX because it felt like a better ride than the Accord. You have to remember, as good as this new Accord is, it's still based on a 6yr old platform and it felt like a 6yr old car. I mean sure it's quieter than the previous years, but it's the same car with some new body panels, lights, and updated tech.

Now the Accord is an extremely good value. I believe it is a bigger car and it certainly feels like it, but for me driving has to be an experience and I feel the TLX offers much more. I haven't had any regrets since the day I purchased it and the IDS can really change up how the car feels, something not found in the Accord.

I've actually been trying to convince a friend of mine to get a TLX, even though he wants the same color as mine. It's a great car that rides extremely well, gets pretty damn good mileage for a v6, and has enough features to keep just about anyone happy. And if you think about what you get in the car for the price, it's great value compared to the luxury brands :P
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Yes. I have had two FWD TLXs as loaners while my TL AWD was in for scheduled service. I found both to be quiet, solid cars with plenty of pep and nice handling. Softer than my 4G TL, so Acura has clearly steered this car to the side of luxury rather than sport, but it is a very nice luxo ride, especially for the price. I'd be sure to get at least the Tech version of whatever you buy. Without those goodies, I think it's a closer call against the Accord given the price differential.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Yes, I have really learned to appreciate the 9 speed in my TLX and how smooth shifting it is. Good value, good styling, and an awesome amount of technology in the car. I too would recommend to get at least the Tech model. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for the most sporty ride, but it doesn't sound like it granted it's for family. I do have a slight jerk between 2-3 gear, but overall it's just a really smooth ride.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:10 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I have a 2015, one of the first SH-AWDs (I got it in Nov 2014). Except for a mild case of the 2-3 shift, it has been an awesome vehicle. It really is meant for German roads with their lack of speed limits. Even at 70mph it's basically asleep and doesn't really come alive til above 80 mph. It feels so solid and planted, and it is fantastic around curves. Very comfortable and I love how it looks. If only it were entirely invisible to police cars!

I appreciate your opinion.

How true to the claimed MPG does the V6 get?

I've heard a lot about the supposive "vibrations" issue. Was that in all V6's, the AWD models only?

I'm really debating whether to get the Tech package or go with the base V6, because honestly the lane assist stuff I don't want. The crash warning I don't care about, and an additional three speakers.....for $4,000?! Advance package sounds nice but $6,500 more for that is not worth it for me.

I almost feel some of these new technologies are handicapping drivers.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test - New Updates
Old 02-02-2016, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken

I've heard a lot about the supposive "vibrations" issue. Was that in all V6's, the AWD models only?

I'm really debating whether to get the Tech package or go with the base V6, because honestly the lane assist stuff I don't want. The crash warning I don't care about, and an additional three speakers.....for $4,000?! Advance package sounds nice but $6,500 more for that is not worth it for me.

While I agree that car technology is making for lazier drivers they're nice to have. I have an advance and LKAS is great. It's helpful enough, but not to the point where you're lazy when it comes to steering as its not as intrusive as some people think. Yeah it'll steer itself for a bit through a slight turn, but its very quick to tell you it requires steering. I drive one handed alot and it tells me to steer when I'm keeping the wheel straight.

Vibrations...yes there is when VCM kicks in but you really have to look for it to feel it.

I'm currently averaging 27.5mpg in mixed driving. I'd say about 40% city and 60% highway.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken

For me, it gets better (sometimes significantly better) than posted gas mileage, and I tend to drive (ahem) aggressively, shall we say. I have never seen the vibration problem at all.

I do recommend getting the Tech package and replacing the tires. As you can see I went with the OEM 19" wheels and put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3s on them. The car handles better than my 3G Type S and it looks like a cross between a Jaguar and a Maserati. :-)
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I owned a TL for 10 years and 240,000 trouble-free miles. Several things needed to be replaced and I didn't want to put $$$ into a car with such high mileage. I needed a new car asap and bought a TLX in September 2014 (took delivery in October). I didn't want to buy such an early build, but I had confidence in Acura since I've always owned Acura/Hondas and had good luck with them.

My TLX was totaled after owning it for 9 months. I walked away from an accident where the car was completely crushed. It saved my life! I was so happy with the car overall that I immediately bought the same exact TLX again. Both cars were V6s and I never had tranny/vibration issues in either.

I would highly recommend the TLX V6. I've also owned an Accord V6, and that's a great car too. You have to compare them side-by-side to see if the extra cost is worth it to you. If you're on a budget, stick with the Accord. But if you have the extra bucks, I think the TLX is enough of an upgrade to justify the cost.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have roughly an hour commute each way. I wanted something that got decent mileage yet wasn't anemic in the horsepower category. I came from an 08 WRX. I looked at the Fusion, Subaru legacy, the Accord V6 as well as the ILX and TLX.

After test driving all of those, I chose the TLX. I have about done about 9k miles so far. I currently get 29-30mph combined 70% highway, 30% country, but I live in the mountains of NW New Jersey so that 30% is a lot of hills. In fact, to drive into my town, the main road is 1.5 miles long and up to a 27% grade. I get up to 37mpg driving to work, 39 miles, mostly downhill and 28mpg coming home, mostly uphill.

I chose the TLX because the cabin is more comfortable and quiet than all the rest and handled just fine. I chose the V6 because I like having some HP and while the i4 was ok, coming off my WRX, it wasn't enough for me.

The Accord V6 didn't have as good of a ride and just felt less refined to me. The Fusion was comfortable but it felt like a 4cyl turbo to me, missing torque or something. It wasn't a smooth acceleration curve, missing some bottom end. I was too tall for the ILX...I hit my head. The Legacy was the big disappointment. It felt heavy, gets crappy gas mileage and felt cheapy inside and rode not so great.

I also got a killer deal which was a big help.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
I was very disappointed in the seats. They felt like they had very little cushioning, and just felt 'thin'. The new Accord was VERY nice though. I'd definitely choose the Accord over the TLX right now, but Lord help me for saying this, but I was AMAZINGLY impressed by the new Chrysler 300 S. Most people may not cross shop an Acura and Chrysler, but I think they are worth a look. FCA is NOT the Chrylser of old.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Definitely, YES! Since '98, have had 2 CL's, 3TL's, & now my SH-AWD/TLX/Tech; by far, the best of the bunch. GREAT gas mileage, on the road; handling, technology; best bang for your buck. Is it perfect? NO! But what is? LOVE driving this car; 9 speed tranny, is a bit unrefined; that being said, I'm a believer.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I would, but would likely go with Tech vs Advance instead. I find the electronic nannies to be more annoying than useful.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend the TLX, I didn't even realized the roblem with 2-3 rd gear problem up until I read about it in this forum.
It's fast, connect seamesly with my iipod and iphone, everybody loves it.
It's super fast in highway, without even realizing I'm doing 90 ...
BTW, I have the V6 AWD
Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I have no reservation in recommending a 2016 TLX as long as it meets all your specifications and you are happy with the extended test drive.

Like any other car there will be strengths and weaknesses. In many ways the TLX makes some compromises but you are looking for a reasonably priced car and the TLX is a master at delivering such a product. The Accord is a viable alternative. Only you can decide which features are most important to you and if the additional cost of the TLX is worth it.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
If you care more about price and dont mind "just being another accord on the road", and only care about the equipment offered in both vehicles (maybe leather, nav, etc features found in both) then Im sure the accord is a safe bet

HOWEVER, I would 100% recommend the TLX because I love it. It gives a sportier look, a funny driving experience, and has some nice touches Hondas dont offer (even though surprising you can now find top features like Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping Assist in the Accord Touring which are my 2 favorite featutures). As far as reliability goes I have a 2015 (I believe jan 2015 build) and tranny is fine. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I would recommend the TLX to certain people, however, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. There's a niche market that I think the TLX is perfect for, even if there are other competitors in that price range.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
If you are looking at an Accord Touring the only TLX I would consider is AWD Tech or AWD Advance. Unless the quality materials are worth that much to you the Accord Touring is an awesome car. What sets the TLX apart is the AWD. Sure the materials in the TLX are nicer, but in the end unless the incremental things are worth that much the AWD is what makes the TLX a superior car. And while most of the tranny issues are resolved, the Accord is rock solid.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I am not interested at all in AWD and I would much prefer avoid the silly ANNUAL differential oil change @ 125-150$. That is $500 WASTED in the next 3 years, mind you. If Acura CANADA would give me a choice (like in 2015), I'd rather have a FWD TLX V6; AWD is so overrated.

From another perspective, I think that just by styling alone, TLX prevails on the Accord, yet I am flabbergasted that its interior roominess is less than a Civic 2016.

So in the end, yes, I'd recommend a TLX, a FWD one.... pushing the 2.4. Good enough. Beyond, I'd get a BMW again, an I6 one. I know the delta is huge yet I would want it.

Last edited by Saintor; 02-02-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
I am not interested at all in AWD and I would much prefer avoid the silly ANNUAL differential oil change @ 125-150$. That is $500 WASTED in the next 3 years, mind you. If Acura CANADA would give me a choice (like in 2015), I'd rather have a FWD TLX V6; AWD is so overrated.

From another perspective, I think that just by styling alone, TLX prevails on the Accord, yet I am flabbergasted that its interior roominess is less than a Civic 2016.

So in the end, yes, I'd recommend a TLX, a FWD one.... pushing the 2.4. Good enough. Beyond, I'd get a BMW again.
Haha, I feel the total opposite of you. I've learned to drive using SH-AWD. It requires a change in driving behaviour to get the most out of it. I'm now always on throttle around EVERY corner and it isn't getting old to me to do that.

For me, SH-AWD is so important that I'd pay a huge premium for it alone.

Now I'll answer the OP:

The 2016 transmission (well, technically, it's a transaxle) is performing very well. One thing to get used to is that it takes some time to downshift 5 gears on the highway (9th to 4th) for an aggressive pass, just because the transmission has to move 2 dog clutches, 1 regular clutch, and 1 brake while doing that.

Handling is pretty damn good, especially with SH-AWD having replaced the stock Goodyear LS2 shitty tires. If you buy one, NEGOTIATE IN BETTER TIRES! A set of good tires quite literally changes this car. The SH-AWD handles corners far and away better than an Accord. There is less body roll in the TLX vs the Accord as well (noticeably less). The TLX also is quieter. Steering feel is sharper and more accurate (at least in Normal, Sport, and definitely Sport+). It's one of the better electric power steering units I've driven.

Plus in Canada the TLX offered a heated steering wheel and heated windshield element, something the Accord doesn't (may be irrelevant for you).

In terms of materials quality, the TLX is a step up, but not a massive step. The leather is substantially nicer than the stuff in the Accord Touring, and there is more soft-touch injection moulded dash material (Accord has more hard plastics). The TLX also blows the Accord away in real-world gas mileage, but does require 91 octane. The ELS stereo in the TLX is in another league compared to the Accord.

The Accord has several advantages. I would say the primary one is that it's larger. The TLX is midsize, whereas the Accord is a full size sedan! It has acres of rear legroom. The Accord is also cheaper to purchase with slightly lower maintenance costs. And it uses regular fuel. The Accord also has Android Auto/Apple Carplay, but I've heard mixed reviews on those two systems.

If the goal is bang for your buck, the Accord wins. If the goal is a more refined, buttoned down and luxurious driving experience, the TLX wins (unless it's a 2015, do NOT get a 2015 - too large a chance of issues whereas no 2016 owners reported anything including myself).
ggesq (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL;15671782
[B
For me, SH-AWD is so important that I'd pay a huge premium for it alone. [/B]

Good for you.

But in even in the kingdom of snow (MTL), we have TONS of 2WD Chargers and Camrys cop and taxi cars and NO ONE is crying to have AWD.

While it can be a commodity in a few circumstances (mountains), it is a gadget lover kind of things (believe or die) and I am NOT surprised that most ponycars, M-Cars and alikes are not entertaining it.... *except to make money*.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I got my TLX SH-AWD Elite in October 2014, and I just LOVE it. Sure, it has some quirks (like the shift changes as described by many people already so I won't repeat it) but that is not a deal breaker to me. The other advantages are far more important to me - the smooth ride with the phenomenal suspension, the amazing quietness and the fantastic gas mileage are just some of the many things that I love about my car. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention its brilliant performance in the snow (with its SH-AWD and snow tires - WOW!)... ha, how could I forget, esp. since I am in Canada? LOL

Would I recommend it? Totally! :-)
9SpeedTran (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I would disagree with you completely. I used to live in Massachusetts and always had AWD vehicles. The last vehicle I bought prior to the TLX was a Lexus IS with AWD. When I left Mass and moved to Atlanta, I was a bit upset because AWD gets lower mpg and is more expensive to maintain.

After 9 years with my IS, I would never buy a non-AWD vehicle again. When I test drove vehicles, the TLX SH-AWD handled much better than the FWD drive variants to me. Cornering and handling generally felt much more controlled.

Even though I live in a non-snow state, I made a choice to get AWD. The cost for the AWD TLX is much lower than any Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, or BMW.

I really like the car, but I'm a bit amazed at the quality issues so far and number of trips back to the dealer. My Lexus got oil/fluid changes, tires, and brakes, and it ran perfectly for 9 years until it was totaled. I don't see the TLX meeting that reliability bar. I'm prepared for some warranty issues and dealer service.
The following 3 users liked this post by neil0311:
9SpeedTran (02-03-2016), TacoBello (02-03-2016), youngTL (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Seems to me that there are two distinct classes of drivers; the first is the must have AWD to support their driving style, and the second is, well everybody else. The comparison is like rap to rock music, or classic antique to modern high tech cars.

I absolutely believe that anybody that drives in winter conditions should be using winter tires, for their safety and mine, but should everybody be driving an AWD, no way.

The prospective buyer should determine their real needs, budget, and then nice to have. It is great to have choices.
The following 3 users liked this post by Quandry:
TacoBello (02-03-2016), wlkeel (02-03-2016), youngTL (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

So in the end, yes, I'd recommend a TLX, a FWD one.... pushing the 2.4. Good enough. Beyond, I'd get a BMW again, an I6 one. I know the delta is huge yet I would want it.
Dude, you can change the rear diff fluid yourself for like $25, in one hour. You don't have one spare hour per year?

Originally Posted by Quandry
Seems to me that there are two distinct classes of drivers; the first is the must have AWD to support their driving style, and the second is, well everybody else. The comparison is like rap to rock music, or classic antique to modern high tech cars.

I absolutely believe that anybody that drives in winter conditions should be using winter tires, for their safety and mine, but should everybody be driving an AWD, no way.

The prospective buyer should determine their real needs, budget, and then nice to have. It is great to have choices.
100% agreed.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-03-2016 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Love mine. I came from a 2008 TSX, so this was a big step up. I have a 2015 AWD Tech V6. The power is nice, coming from the I4 in the TSX. It's a very comfortable car - I've put just over 18K since Sept 2015 (I drive a lot) and just the highway manners is worth it. I have no transmission issues at all.

Is it more expensive than an Accord or the Odyssey you are looking at? Sure, but they aren't in the same class. Drive them all. Only you can decide, but I definitely would recommended it.

As far as the debate on AWD, I am in the NW mountains of NJ as well, and while it's good for uphill snow traction, I find the most satisfying part of AWD is off the line with zero wheel spin. It just grabs and goes.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Sure - why not. Mine is quiet and it rides very nice. The ELS is decent and the 2.4, while not a 600 bhp beast - is very spunky. The DCT shifts super fast and smooth when you stomp on it. I like the cozy interior which has a sporty feel to it IMO, and the fit and finish seem fine. The looks are understated but better than the Accord for sure. I think it's a nice car and a decent bang for your buck if you want a notch above a Camry/Accord/Altima etc.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
When I was shopping for a new car I considered the TLX and the Accord, obviously I went with the TLX.

I went with the TLX because it felt like a better ride than the Accord. You have to remember, as good as this new Accord is, it's still based on a 6yr old platform and it felt like a 6yr old car. I mean sure it's quieter than the previous years, but it's the same car with some new body panels, lights, and updated tech.

Now the Accord is an extremely good value. I believe it is a bigger car and it certainly feels like it, but for me driving has to be an experience and I feel the TLX offers much more. I haven't had any regrets since the day I purchased it and the IDS can really change up how the car feels, something not found in the Accord.

I've actually been trying to convince a friend of mine to get a TLX, even though he wants the same color as mine. It's a great car that rides extremely well, gets pretty damn good mileage for a v6, and has enough features to keep just about anyone happy. And if you think about what you get in the car for the price, it's great value compared to the luxury brands :P
In addition to that, the TLX, with discounts, isn't much more than an Accord. I picked up my 15 TLX V6 for $33k before TTL.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Dude, you can change the rear diff fluid yourself for like $25, in one hour. You don't have one spare hour per year?
Not only that, I was just at the Acura dealer today in Edmonton, and they only charge $59.95 to do it. Probably takes them 20 minutes. So even if you don't want to do it yourself, it's nowhere near $125-150 (unless the shops in his area just overcharge like crazy). Hell, a full synthetic oil change (not semi) at my dealer is $79.95. That's not too bad for dealership shop rates, all things considered.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either car, especially as bugs from early 3.5 9 speed trannies have been worked out. Both the 2.4 and 3.5 are excellent engines, the 8 speed is an great quick shifting tranny, and the 9 speed works well with the 3.5. Comfort, handling, ride, and technology are all very good. This is an excellent car for the bucks….as is the new Accord. As a wise person once said, test drive, test drive, test drive!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Actually the SH-AWD made me get the TL and the TLX. Over our winters I always saw RWD cars (good brands ..) stuck in banks of snow or going up hill. I never got stuck with my TL and TLX. I would recommend TLX ?
Depends on the people that I would recommended to. If they are car enthusiast like me , maybe not due the ZF9 , but I would say probably for 90-95% of the people it would be a very good car. If they will solve the issues with the ZF on MMC I may get another one , but this time I wouldn't really accept "I'll get use to it" if it wouldn't meet my expectations.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
For me, I don't need an AWD but it is not bad to have.

That being said, when you add the SH, then it is a MUST! If you haven't owned one, you have no idea what you are missing. It took me close to a year to fully appreciate and experience the true potential of the SH-AWD in my 2012! What a beast!
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
ostrich (02-03-2016), youngTL (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I'll take the other side of the coin and say based upon my experience with the transmission and how Acura has handled it/my situation, I wouldn't recommend the vehicle. The car's mileage is great and the ride is great, but I've had the bucking transmission issue that's been improved by software updates, but isn't completely resolved, and I think they've pretty much given up on it. I've also had other issues like the car going into limp mode twice while I was driving when "who-knows-what" may have happened. The first time, they replaced the rear actuators... a few months later the same thing happened again and they performed a "VSA modulator update". Was scared to take the car on long road trips like I usually do after that, but I think I'm over that for now. lol. I've had a puddle light go out, but that wasn't a big deal. They replaced it and it's stayed fixed so far. When I picked up the car after buying it, I noticed there was a cut/gouge on the dash by the vent. They replaced the entire dash. Then there's the "not-quite-so-flush" installation of the rear deck spoiler which didn't bug me that much.

Like I said, the car has been fun to drive except in stop and go traffic with the crappy transmission and the car dropping into limp mode and the dash lights going off like fireworks a couple of times. The mileage has been exceptional. Acura's handling of the transmission and the questionable reliability combined with the fact I think my car has probably been at the dealership for around a month total will make it easier for me to switch brands when the time comes.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 02-03-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
For me, I don't need an AWD but it is not bad to have.

That being said, when you add the SH, then it is a MUST! If you haven't owned one, you have no idea what you are missing. It took me close to a year to fully appreciate and experience the true potential of the SH-AWD in my 2012! What a beast!
Yup , same for my 2009 TL , when I got it I was owning 2007 TL with no intentions to change it , but I got to test the SH-AWD and I was addicted! That is the main reason that I got on TLX , regardless the ZF9 issues.
9SpeedTran (02-04-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend the TLX. I owned a 2000 TL with 195k miles and it still ran like the day that I bought it. I was choosing between the RDX (more interior room, no SH-AWD) and TLX (SH-AWD, prefer sedan over SUV) and am happy with my decision on getting a 15 TLX SH-AWD Advance.

Transmission: My TLX is a 2015 with an 08/15 build. New 2016 models with a low VIN serial number are 09/15 build; I verified this at a local dealer. I have had zero problems with my transmission. No 2-3 hard shifts ever. That massive thread about transmission problems almost scared me away from buying a TLX. However, it's common knowledge that buying the earliest builds of the first model year of any car are going to have problems. Like it or not, those owners are the beta testers for the car. I'm not saying that it's right, but there should be a certain expected risk when buying a new model right when it comes out.

I do notice that the 1-2 shift is slower than most vehicles, but I'm ok with it since I drive pretty conservatively. It's really noticeable when I drive another car and then come back to the TLX. I would recommend test driving the car a lot and paying attention to the 1-2 shift in all IDS modes to see if you're comfortable with it.

VSA: I've driven a good amount of freeway miles and feel no vibration from VSA. My guess is those that do are having issues with tires, rims, or bad motor mounts.

SH-AWD or not: If you live in an area where you don't need it, then I would skip it. I got it because I wanted to be able to go up in the mountains in any conditions without having to put chains on my tires. I'm also appreciating the way it handles in rain or snow.

Tech or Advance package: Absolutely get Tech package at a minimum. Tech gets you great features like auto rain sensing wipers, Lane Keeping Assist (love this feature), Rear Cross Traffic Monitor (has already saved me from hitting a maniac driving past me while backing out of a parking spot). I didn't think I would care much about the Advance features, but for me, the parking sensors are worth the cost of the upgrade to Advance pkg alone. Note that you can get parking sensors added to a Tech TLX but is only rear sensors. Also, I didn't think I would care about Adaptive Cruise Control but use it all the time. A lot of my commute is freeway with light to moderate traffic, and I can set the cruise and not have to worry about slowing down and speeding up all the time. It's fascinating that these features are what autonomous cars are using to drive, and I'm sure these will all be standard options on vehicles as time goes on.

Things I don't like: Auto stop. I hate this feature but am now used to turning it off right before I shift the car into gear. Also, the Navigation system is really outdated but Google Maps is easily used instead. I think the sound system in my 2000 TL beats my TLX but it still sounds good (not great).

Bottom line: Yes, get one! If you can find a great deal on a 2015, then go with it, but ONLY if it is a late build, like 07/15 or 08/15. It's possible that one made in May or June is ok, but why take chances?

Last edited by Hey Casey; 02-05-2016 at 10:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Casey:
a35tl (02-05-2016), Quandry (02-05-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got my TLX V6 with Tech in April 2015, so I've had it for almost a year. Before that, I had driven Honda Accords and Civic Si's, so I'm a big fan of Honda vehicles. My most recent car before the TLX was a 2013 Accord Coupe EXL-V6, which was a great car.

But the TLX has been a huge step up, at least for me. I like everything about it: the interior trim is a lot nicer than my Accord, the car handles better, has plenty of power, gets better gas mileage, is quieter, and has a lot of features that my Accord didn't have (but you can get many of them on a 2016 Accord).

I really like having four driving modes, though I keep mine in Sport almost all the time. Somewhat to my surprise, one of my favorite features is the pushbutton shifting, which I wasn't even sure I would like when I test-drove it. I drove an ILX yesterday as a loaner while my car was being serviced, and using a gear shift felt old-fashioned.

Since getting the car last April, I have had it in for one oil change, and yesterday the rubber trim around the sunroof was replaced. The trim had a slight bump that I didn't even notice the first month or two I had the car, and when I did notice it, I kept putting off getting it replaced because I don't like to be without my car. I showed it to the service tech when I had the car in for its oil change and he said we should get it replaced. So with only two service calls in almost a year, this car has been as reliable as my Hondas.

I have not had the transmission issues that others have written about and find the transmission to be superior to the automatic that I had in the 2013 Accord Coupe.

This is my first car with NAV. Before this car, I used navigation apps on my iPhone, which did the trick, but I really prefer having the NAV built into the car. I know some people don't like the two-screen NAV/tech system, but I find it intuitive and easy to use. I like that I can see the audio data even when the NAV is showing on the top screen.

The TLX is affordable luxury. I think it's sort of understated and not flashy, which I like. There are a few features I'd like to have (heads-up display and heated steering wheel, for example) but basically this car has everything I want and more.

If you don't want to spend the money on the Acura's V6 engine and/or the Tech package, then you might be better off with the Accord, but otherwise, I'd definitely recommend the TLX.
a35tl (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
This is an almost impossible question to answer.

I love my tlx 4 cylinder tech but other people won't feel the same.

There are too many variables in shopping for a car and everyone has different tastes.

Quick Reply: Honestly: Would you recommend a Acura TLX?