3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If upgraded from 04-06 to 07-08 3G, do fog lights make night vision brighter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If upgraded from 04-06 to 07-08 3G, do fog lights make night vision brighter?

Quick question

If any of you have sat in both or owned one than the other,

Do the fog lights in the 07-08 make a big difference in night time driving?

I like my HIDs but think it's too dark at night, I'm hitting potholes all the time cause I don't see them early enough.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
I'm surprised you are having issues seeing at night with the bi-xenons.
Lower fogs help a little... but it's nothing too dramatic. At least judging from other cars with halogen fogs. Your bi-xenon 'over power' the fogs anyway.

Why don't you try to get brighter bulbs for the integrated fogs?
Getting something such as the Nokya 2500K bulbs help visibility and show signs better--at least so I've noticed.

Or... you can just get Hella fogs or do a retrofit in the lower fogs.
That would help a lot more than stock-halogen-fogs.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't driven a 07-08 model, but the 04-06 fogs intregrated in the headlamp housing put out excellent light that complement the xenons quite nicely. I replaced my stock bulbs with Nokya yellows, which made even a bigger difference. If you are having issues seeing what is ahead of you at night, you are not alone. The cutoff was way too short for me, and I was only able to see about 100 feet ahead of me. I ended up aiming my headlamps up quite a bit to where I can now see about 300 feet ahead of me. The additional light from the fog lamps brighten up the side of the roads enough to where I can see at least 10 feet clearly side to side for about 50 feet ahead of me.

Make note that I drive a lot of rural roads, and this set up has worked out well. I must have hit the sweet spot on my headlight aim, since my normal beams have yet to be mistaken for high beams by oncoming traffic. I made this adjustment last winter.

From my experience with lower placed fog lights, the light output from OEM units have been minimal at best. My wife's Mazda3 with HID headlamps completely drowns out the light from her fogs like they aren't even on. My Miatas had low-placed fog lights, and I experienced the same results even with standard halogens. Perhaps this is a normal trend with Mazdas, I don't know.

Try changing out the fog bulbs with yellow ones and see if you notice any difference. At the very least, it will look nice.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I have 07-08 lower fogs w/ 4300K HID kit on my 05. The 04-06 fogs, and 07-08 fogs are each wired independently so I can turn them on whenever without the bi-xenons.

The 04-06 directs the light output with a cut off, the 07-08 scatters the light somewhat without a cut off. The only thing better about the 07-08 is that the light is directed more to the sides. The 07-08 does widen the visibility.

It would be best to use a projector for the lower 07-08 fogs. At the price Acura sells the fog housing for, you think they use a projector lol.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I need a car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i currently love my set up with alot of lights
i have the accord fogs which shoot to the sides.
the oem fog which shoot to the ground
and the lower beam shoot normally.

all of them have a hid kit. the stock low beam has a 8k bulb. the stock fog has 3k bulbs, the accord lower has 8k.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by samplemonster
Quick question

If any of you have sat in both or owned one than the other,

Do the fog lights in the 07-08 make a big difference in night time driving?

I like my HIDs but think it's too dark at night, I'm hitting potholes all the time cause I don't see them early enough.
just a suggestion maybe you should try adjusting your headlights. I did. I thought my lights were too dim too. but i adjusted them a little and it made a world of a difference.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdell215
just a suggestion maybe you should try adjusting your headlights. I did. I thought my lights were too dim too. but i adjusted them a little and it made a world of a difference.
What "adjustment" did you make?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
Make note that I drive a lot of rural roads, and this set up has worked out well. I must have hit the sweet spot on my headlight aim, since my normal beams have yet to be mistaken for high beams by oncoming traffic. I made this adjustment last winter.
The lights in my car must've been adjusted previously because I too drive on a lot of rural roads and visibility is GREAT. However, oncoming traffic flash their brights at me fairly often. I flash mine back to let them know my brights aren't on, but still. Seems like you have to be very careful when adjusting the headlights so you're courteous to other drivers.

But fogs+xenons in the dark on back roads=awesome.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
the fogs help somewhat ... but like others have said try adjusting your lights, that will probably solve your issue and be much more effective compared to adding on fog lights in the lower part of the bumper
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
That would be the perfect solution. I find the reto-fitted Accord fogs scatters too much light to the sides. Looks awesome, but can't say the same for the incoming drivers. PM me your email, I'll send you some night time pictures of the Hella.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Instructor

This thread has been great.

First I learned that I can turn on my "fog lights" which I never knew existed

ohhhh mannn

I just got the car about 6 weeks ago, so dang!!! this is great news.

I wanted it to be brighter, because compared to my friend's super bright oem '01 Lexus RX300 'regular' lamps, it was a lot dimmer

I turned on the "fog" lights today, and though they're yellow and take away from the mystic beautiful white exuding from the xenons in 'normal' mode, they do add a touch of brightness that makes the view good enough for me.

I may do the additions you guys did on your cars, depending on cost, and etc.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ Another happy ending on AZ.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cjTL
The lights in my car must've been adjusted previously because I too drive on a lot of rural roads and visibility is GREAT. However, oncoming traffic flash their brights at me fairly often. I flash mine back to let them know my brights aren't on, but still. Seems like you have to be very careful when adjusting the headlights so you're courteous to other drivers.

But fogs+xenons in the dark on back roads=awesome.
Adjusted means the angle of how the light is shot?

Or is there an adjustor for the brightness? Please elaborate
Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
What "adjustment" did you make?

The "adjustment" is "aiming" the lights. There is no "brightness" adjustment possible to the headlights.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
The OEM Osram HID bulbs are worth sh*t in my opinion. If you want brighter then upgrade to Philips 85122+ bulbs. Old Osrams are probably producing around 2800 lumens, new Philips 85122+ would produce around 3400 lumens each, compare that to a standard halogen bulb which produces 1100 lumens. So basically upgrading to the Philips would yield you total light output comparable to having one extra halogen bulb in the front.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

Yes, adjusted as in the angle. Mine might be a bit too high up based on the number of people who flash their brights at me but then again the 3G TL's xenons are very bright to begin with.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JnC
The OEM Osram HID bulbs are worth sh*t in my opinion. If you want brighter then upgrade to Philips 85122+ bulbs. Old Osrams are probably producing around 2800 lumens, new Philips 85122+ would produce around 3400 lumens each, compare that to a standard halogen bulb which produces 1100 lumens. So basically upgrading to the Philips would yield you total light output comparable to having one extra halogen bulb in the front.
JnC - You are talking about the Headlights, right? Or are you talking about the fogs? There are a couple of other threads where folks are talking up the Nokya fogs - thoughts?

Thanks -
Old 12-20-2009, 11:21 AM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
JnC - You are talking about the Headlights, right? Or are you talking about the fogs? There are a couple of other threads where folks are talking up the Nokya fogs - thoughts?

Thanks -
He is talking about the headlight, changing out the HID bulb.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

Thanks -
Yeah he's talking about the headlight. Phillips is German Build and ISO XXX certified among other stuff. The bulb is top notch along with Kaixen which also is German built. Long story short, don't buy eBay/OEM headlights.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:50 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Thanks -
For the 04-06 USDM TLs the lamps adjacent to the projectors are most commonly known as fogs but indeed they are auxiliary low beams. They enhance the low beam by throwing light towards the corners to give you a wider range of light. I personally use Sylvania Ultra Silverstars in my headlights.

The best way to get more light is to upgrade the HID bulb, as stated in my above post the Philips put the Osrams to shame and you would only know that once you have used the Philips.

Here is a short video showing light output at night, its HD and the camera is pretty good at showing ACTUAL light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FL61bcfVmk
Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow how can anyone think the TL's lights aren't bright enough? I've had people flash their lights at me because they think I had my high beams on even though I didn't.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Yeah all i did was put the screw driver in the hole and just point them up a little more to project more and i was surprised at how much more i could see. i thought something was wrong with my headlights
Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by JnC
For the 04-06 USDM TLs the lamps adjacent to the projectors are most commonly known as fogs but indeed they are auxiliary low beams. They enhance the low beam by throwing light towards the corners to give you a wider range of light. I personally use Sylvania Ultra Silverstars in my headlights.

The best way to get more light is to upgrade the HID bulb, as stated in my above post the Philips put the Osrams to shame and you would only know that once you have used the Philips.

Here is a short video showing light output at night, its HD and the camera is pretty good at showing ACTUAL light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FL61bcfVmk
I upgraded to an 08 TL-S and it seems like the light isn't as bright as my 04. I was actually looking at upgrading my fogs (lower in the bumper, not next to the HID headlights). I will adjust the aim of the headlights first to see it that makes a difference.
So assuming I was going to upgrade my HIDs as you suggest, where is a good place to get them. Do you have any opinions of the Nokya bulb fog light upgrade?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I'm surprised you are having issues seeing at night with the bi-xenons.
Lower fogs help a little... but it's nothing too dramatic. At least judging from other cars with halogen fogs. Your bi-xenon 'over power' the fogs anyway.

Why don't you try to get brighter bulbs for the integrated fogs?
Getting something such as the Nokya 2500K bulbs help visibility and show signs better--at least so I've noticed.

+1 You took the words completely out of my mouth...