Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: LED Mod (pics) 3G Garage #G-019

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to: LED Mod (pics) 3G Garage #G-019

Got my leds the other day and been searching around the forum for a thread to explain the install, couldn't find a good one so i decided to create my own.

Tools i used. Thin flat head screwdriver, Leather man multi tool, Small tennis wrench, and rubber dish washing gloves.

Bulbs from superbrightleds.com

First step, use the wrench and pull out the interior light fuse. I've blown fuses in the Max switching bulbs before.

Next get the blade and jab it in here then pop the cover out

After you pop out each cover, put on rubber gloves and pull out the bulb. I found this to be the easiest method.

Now for the rear. Get the flat head and stick the tip in between the 2 covers, it should pop out and fall to the seat.

Door: Same as the rear pop in the screw driver into that location and the cover should easily fall out

Voila!, my pentax optio s40 cam doesn't take good pics of how good the domes look but heres the finished product.

Hope this helps

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 04-29-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:30 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
[QUOTE=VelfarreClubber]Got my leds the other day and been searching around the forum for a thread to explain the install, couldn't find a good one so i decided to create my own.

Great Post buddy!!! Can you tell me the make and model# for the Front/rear and door bulbs if you have them. I am interested in putting White for the front/rear and blue for the doors. Is the front and rear bulbs the same bulbs??? Thanks!! Rep points for ya!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Very cool one... thanks.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, simple step-by-step directions. There should be a mods page with a list of all the good "How To"s like this one.

Btw, you missed three others: the glovebox, center console box, and the trunk. (but the glovebox and center console box use different sized bulbs).

I am getting my LEDs in the mail tomorrow. White for all the domes and the trunk, blue for the doors, the glovebox, and the center console box.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Racer

very very nice one! where I can find the blue LED and what is the part #?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Advanced

they are on ebay, i saw them a few days ago, cheap too.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

ed99- yes, the front/rear are the same bulbs WLED-W6 and the doors are WLED-B6
MisterLawyer- the glovebox, center console box, and trunk its hidden most of the times so i dont really mind. fyi i heard from another user that the trunk light wasn't as bright as oem (not good)

I bought my bulbs from "Aspector Gadget" which he bought from superbrightleds.com, their site is not easy to navigate so i thought it would be easier to simply buy it from him w/ his 2nd pair for $30 shipped
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=change+lights

imo the domes are pretty cool, but i kinda feel like it lost it's "warmth" in color, the light reminds me of those ceiling lights you see in old schools, office buildings, dental office, and hospitals. i bet if i have the parchment interior it wouldn't feel like that.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Never mind what i said, I haven't went out in the night after the install. I just went out on a cruise in my neighborhood listening to "Robert Miles- children and fable" in 57F cold weather w/ the seat warmers on (damn does my butt feel good) I couldn't help myself toying w/ the light switches, the Leds is a MUST! i compared it w/ the yellow vanity mirror lights, imo it looks dull/old, not to mention leds is much brighter. I have no problems reading anything! its freakn worth it for any car color/interior.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

VelfarreClubber,

Looks great. I'm glad everything went well with the install. Points for the great step by step pics, and the plug of my post.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:17 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
ed99- yes, the front/rear are the same bulbs WLED-W6 and the doors are WLED-B6
MisterLawyer- the glovebox, center console box, and trunk its hidden most of the times so i dont really mind. fyi i heard from another user that the trunk light wasn't as bright as oem (not good)

I bought my bulbs from "Aspector Gadget" which he bought from superbrightleds.com, their site is not easy to navigate so i thought it would be easier to simply buy it from him w/ his 2nd pair for $30 shipped
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=change+lights

imo the domes are pretty cool, but i kinda feel like it lost it's "warmth" in color, the light reminds me of those ceiling lights you see in old schools, office buildings, dental office, and hospitals. i bet if i have the parchment interior it wouldn't feel like that.

Thanks for the info and YES Robert Miles was one of my favorites!!!! Funny thing is the music goes well with the blue interior lights I bet!!!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Team WD Member

Excellent post, thanks.

I did my mods a few months ago and found a butter knife - like other suggestions -works better for prying the lens covers off. Much thinner and bendable. Took about 15 minutes to do fronts, doors and back.

I prefer not doing the trunk as I like to see what's in the waaaay back. Besides, the blues in the trunk are hard to read by!

Old 10-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Racer

Very nice!!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:52 AM
Racer

i bought the blue led off ebay and installed... installation is easy.. but just need to read the installation manual carefully you must insert the blub the correct way or otherwise it will not light up
Old 08-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Anyone know what kind of led bulb the backup lights take? It's too damn hard to see anything in back of me at night with my 15% tint!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:14 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mile High TL
Anyone know what kind of led bulb the backup lights take? It's too damn hard to see anything in back of me at night with my 15% tint!
LEDs will not really help
Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Instructor

I just bought some Leds from this guy name Brian from Tek Toyz. Guy is a pleasure to work with, very trustworthy(His positives on Ebay will prove it) I was able to buy 6 for $33.00 Shipping was only $3.00. He only charges you what shipping is really going to cost...he is not out to make money off people on Shipping.

I Highly reccomend him. If anyone needs his email, let me know.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
LEDs will not really help
Neither will PIAAs ... you might want to throw a set of these up under your bumper

Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Nice one Brewmaster! That was hilarious! I tried to fit a searchlight but it kept dragging down the rear of the car!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:59 AM
Advanced

So I've been debating whether I should get the blue and white W6 and B6 LED's for my car for a week now, but I still cannot decide.
The reason for this is that my friend tells me to stick with bulbs for the map lights etc, bc the LED's tend to be uni directional and do not provide sufficient light for reading, etc.
Can someone post some pics with these lights on and with a little distance from the light?
Or can someone tell me if this is valid at all?

THank you
Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 AM
TLover

Originally Posted by Abbass Hassani
So I've been debating whether I should get the blue and white W6 and B6 LED's for my car for a week now, but I still cannot decide.
The reason for this is that my friend tells me to stick with bulbs for the map lights etc, bc the LED's tend to be uni directional and do not provide sufficient light for reading, etc.
Can someone post some pics with these lights on and with a little distance from the light?
Or can someone tell me if this is valid at all?

THank you
i have w4 for the interior, and they are as good if not better then the stock bulbs. also the fact that LEDs are uni diretional means thet when the pass. has the light on it spreads out enough for the pass. to see just fine, but wont bother the driver.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Nice job
Old 08-25-2005, 02:26 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, I ordered the 8 Bulb led kit from ebay (look up Tec Toyz as the seller) I put:
2 in doors
2 in front dome
2 in rear dome

I also have 2 additional bulbs that are single led that it says are for the center console and the Glovebox... I found the one in the Glove but what light are they talking about in the center console??? Anyone know??
Old 08-25-2005, 04:20 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by MisterLawyer
Nice, simple step-by-step directions. There should be a mods page with a list of all the good "How To"s like this one.

there is https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...60&postcount=1 but i didn't see any for the dome lights

VelfarreClubber: i didn't pull out the fuse and i've had my aftermarket lights for months now. should i pull the fuse out just in case?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:34 PM
TLover

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Hey, I ordered the 8 Bulb led kit from ebay (look up Tec Toyz as the seller) I put:
2 in doors
2 in front dome
2 in rear dome

I also have 2 additional bulbs that are single led that it says are for the center console and the Glovebox... I found the one in the Glove but what light are they talking about in the center console??? Anyone know??
its the light under the center armrest.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

W1n78: I'd do it to be safe, i've blown fuses in my maxima before and don't think its worth a trip to the store to get some fuses because of a simple bulb swap.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
W1n78: I'd do it to be safe, i've blown fuses in my maxima before and don't think its worth a trip to the store to get some fuses because of a simple bulb swap.
waste of time pulling out the fuse to change a bulb. the only reason you are blowing a fuse is because you are shorting something. fuses do not blow from bulb changes
Old 08-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Advanced

So yay finally I installed the lights right now...4 W6 LED's and 2 B6 LED's for the doors...

My compalints are that I have a little larger than normal hands and I had a LOT of trouble pulling out those front dome lights...

The second problem was that i installed everything and hte front lights were fine but the rear didnt turn on at all...and I had to pull them out a bit...until the connection was established....weird....

I also dont like the blue lights in the day light...it looks sorta tacky and cheap, but im waiting for night fall to update you on that decision.
The following users liked this post:
DarkTower19 (02-22-2015)
Old 08-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So yay finally I installed the lights right now...4 W6 LED's and 2 B6 LED's for the doors...

My compalints are that I have a little larger than normal hands and I had a LOT of trouble pulling out those front dome lights...

The second problem was that i installed everything and hte front lights were fine but the rear didnt turn on at all...and I had to pull them out a bit...until the connection was established....weird....

I also dont like the blue lights in the day light...it looks sorta tacky and cheap, but im waiting for night fall to update you on that decision.
you'll be pleased...i promise
Old 08-27-2005, 08:05 PM
TLover

your not the only one that had a hard time. many people had that problem.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:03 PM
8th Gear

Couple of questions

After doing some research @ superbrightligts.com..

It would appear as though the WLED 6-LED (non-polarized) is the way to go but has anyone tried out the WLED 5-LED Wide Angle (non-polarized) or the 921 Wedge Base LED bulb (9 LED - Polarized)?

You'd think that the WLED 5-LED Wide Angle would be a more distributed light source and the 921 9-LED would be brighter.. But when reading the specs on either of these alternatives the light output appears considerably lower than the WLED 6-LED.

I'm also wondering if the 921 9-LED, which is larger than the WLED 6-LED, would fit into the TLs 194/168 wedge base?

Thoughts? -gh
Old 08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
7th Gear

blue led and large hands

I also have large hands but my old bulbs on my 05 came out easy. I used an old trick that i pick up in the army. By taking a little of duct tape and wrapping a strip around the old bulb and pull. Pops out with no problem and damaged fingers.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:29 PM
TLover

Originally Posted by hamiltong
After doing some research @ superbrightligts.com..

It would appear as though the WLED 6-LED (non-polarized) is the way to go but has anyone tried out the WLED 5-LED Wide Angle (non-polarized) or the 921 Wedge Base LED bulb (9 LED - Polarized)?

You'd think that the WLED 5-LED Wide Angle would be a more distributed light source and the 921 9-LED would be brighter.. But when reading the specs on either of these alternatives the light output appears considerably lower than the WLED 6-LED.

I'm also wondering if the 921 9-LED, which is larger than the WLED 6-LED, would fit into the TLs 194/168 wedge base?

Thoughts? -gh
people have tried the wedge base LEDs and said that they did contact as good as the WLEDs. i think the WLED 5 should be better for the doors, but the domes arent suppose the be wide angle and i think the WLED 4 or 6 would be better. i have the 4 and think they give enough light.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

I'm assuming that replacing the incandescents with LEDs causes loss of the "fade off" feature of the dome lights?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Very nicely done.

Rep points for you!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:53 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TLBobT
I'm assuming that replacing the incandescents with LEDs causes loss of the "fade off" feature of the dome lights?
I'm curious about this as well.. -gh
Old 08-28-2005, 11:08 AM
TLover

Originally Posted by TLBobT
they start to dime, but then shut off early. so they dime most of the way, but not all the way.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Or "dim". Whatever...
Old 08-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Thumbs up Blue Led Report

I installed the blue led light package, an its incredible. Absolutely love the glow @night. Got mine from TecToyz as well. The major complaint I had was that the light for the center console is bigger then the factory an so doesnt fits in the lil housing its suppose to. I actually broke the clip that the cover fit on trying to get it to stay in place. So I used the glove box/console lights for the sunvisor lamps instead. Also added the Acura blue lighted door sills, and have 3 blue LED lamps going into each wheel well this Wed. to highlight the chrome rims @ night. Think this way, it'll give the the impression of the blue hue just radiating out of the cabin @ night. On a trip to the Borgata casino in A/C the valet was just going nutz over the lights and door sills(valet parking is underground and the lights lit up well)
Old 09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Well installed the interior and door blue LED's I got from TecToyz today. Fantastic. Tip: I have a pack of latex gloves (from numerous paint jobs done around the house) and they give you plenty of grip and insulation from the heat of the bulbs. Plus they're cheap. I too have larger hands and the small housing of the dome lights weren't easy until I used the glove.

Anyway, easy mod and worth it to me. Looks nice off the Ebony interior.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Blue Lite Special!

I got my BLUE led lights today from Tec Boyz via Ebay. Installation took about 15-20 minutes. Of course, having the step by step instructions from the original creator of this thread helped a lot - so I just want to say thanks!

Quick Reply: How to: LED Mod (pics) 3G Garage #G-019