3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Geico replace windshields with factory AP glass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Geico replace windshields with factory AP glass?

I have a dime size chip/crack right where the tint line is toward the top of the windshield. I pay my insurance bill every 6 months and feel like im just paying and paying with nothing in return, so thats why i want to get my windshield replaced. I've done some research on here and alot of people say to get the factory glass put in.

Does anyone have any experience with geico installing factory glass?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
geico will want to put in aftermarket glass. the 3G TL is an old car as much as we love our cars. it also depends on what your glass coverage is in your policy.

i just went through the windshield debate with my car after a tree branch (a rather large one) shattered my windshield in my driveway amongst other damage to my TL. i got geico to pay for the OEM glass (the EXACT same piece of glass minus the acura/honda logo and the price tag of factory glass). see thread below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/k-049-cracked-windshield-oem-replacement-w-o-acura-logo-817643/

the glass is identical to the factory glass that was in the car. no distortions, no fitment issues. and half the price....well 30-35% less. DO NOT let geico replace your windshield with crappy OE safelite glass, it's thinner and most likely does not have the acoustic barrier in it.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
geico will want to put in aftermarket glass. the 3G TL is an old car as much as we love our cars. it also depends on what your glass coverage is in your policy.

i just went through the windshield debate with my car after a tree branch (a rather large one) shattered my windshield in my driveway amongst other damage to my TL. i got geico to pay for the OEM glass (the EXACT same piece of glass minus the acura/honda logo and the price tag of factory glass). see thread below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817643

the glass is identical to the factory glass that was in the car. no distortions, no fitment issues. and half the price....well 30-35% less. DO NOT let geico replace your windshield with crappy OE safelite glass, it's thinner and most likely does not have the acoustic barrier in it.
Appreciate that. . . I don't want aftermarket glass. Im going to call tom. and see what they can do. Are they the actual ones that find the shop with OEM glass or do you have to call around yourself? I just don't want them saying its OEM and they show up and its some aftermarket cheap crap...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they're not gonna care, every insurance policy will replace your glass with aftermarket glass, it's in their policy

i manage a bodyshop and work with insurance everyday, the only way you want OEM glass is if you replace it yourself
Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

let me clarify:

the types of glass: factory (AP tech with acura/honda label), OEM (AP tech without the acura/honda label, or equivalent) and OE (safelite crap). the only way you are getting factory glass is to go to the dealer as far as i know.

so by definition aftermarket is OEM or OE.

i was specific with my request and the shop said there is no real difference between the factory AP tech glass or the OEM AP tech glass. only price. the specs are the same (at least mine are). what year is your car?? i wounldn't expect geico to foot the $800 bill for the factory glass unless the car is less than a couple of years old. and yes i understand that your pay them money for insurance. the idea is you hope to NOT ever use it. the more claims people make to insurance the more everyone's premiums go up.

so yes you want OEM, but factory OEM or APtech OEM??
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by jjdrivesajazz
they're not gonna care, every insurance policy will replace your glass with aftermarket glass, it's in their policy

i manage a bodyshop and work with insurance everyday, the only way you want OEM glass is if you replace it yourself
A little premature to say that even if you work at a body shop. State by state is different.

I have never had a problem with my insurance replacing my glass with OEM. Actually, that is the ONLY thing they will allow unless it is not available which then they put something of equal quality or better. If they can't, they consult me first and reimburse me the difference. I have replaced 4 windshields in the past 2 years. (Not all my cars personally, but family cars)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I did an extensive write up on this after driving a windshield shop crazy. It should be in the Garage section of these forums. And yes I have geico.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got my windshield replaced with an OEM one when I was with Allstate, and i didnt ask for it. checked when the installer came
Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I did an extensive write up on this after driving a windshield shop crazy. It should be in the Garage section of these forums. And yes I have geico.
i posted that linkie for him...not sure if he gets it though.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
if the chip or crack is a certain size they usually try to plug it not replace the windshield. Happened a few times on our cars-not the tsx.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
i work with geico insurance and they always go after market first, and then if they can not find a after market windshield. then they would go with a oem windshield!!!

but then again im pretty sure that it changes depending on what state you are in.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
another thing you can do its actually pay for the difference for the oem windshield, talk to your geico adjuster and tell him that you would pay for the difference on a oem windshield!!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have geico and just went through this dec. 15th.. Read your policy, it's all in there in black and white!!! Everyone's is different.. I got mine replaced with non OEM glass on my rsx for $350 approx and geico covered it, no deductible.

They can't force you to go to safelight, but that's who they will want u to use. I would take it to Acura or a bunch of other shops and get quotes for Honda OEM glass installed first and then call geico with a bunch of quotes. If they really try to battle you, tell them u are skeptical about the quality and u have heard horror stories about non oem glass fogging up and hazing, and affecting the drivability thus risking your SAFETY..

But its possible your policy says you aren't covered for OEM parts, unless oem is the only option!! Remember Geico advertises for how "Cheap" their policies are not how "good" of coverage they offer. State farm advertises their coverage, namean..
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I had mine replaced last year because I had 2 rock chips. Very small. I called State Farm and they asked me what I wanted. I told them I want to have OEM glass. They said NO PROBLEM. I had the work done by Safelite. It was a piece of cake.

Based on what I was told you have the option to request the OEM glass. If their is a price difference then you may be asked to pay it. I was never asked. All I had to pay was my deductible.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's the difference between Geico and State Farm!!!! I have both, rsx = geico, and TL = state farm..long story why but it makes sense...

State farm doesn't ask questions like that at all!!! State farms plans are def customer friendly!! State farm has hooked me up so much!! Their customer service is top notch and thats why even though they are usually one of the most expensive, they don't lose customers..

Geico is the opposite.. Usually one of the cheapest, not even close in customer service.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM

'Geico's 15% savings makes them only do aftermarket parts.'

Kill the Gecko.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdumanski01
That's the difference between Geico and State Farm!!!! I have both, rsx = geico, and TL = state farm..long story why but it makes sense...

State farm doesn't ask questions like that at all!!! State farms plans are def customer friendly!! State farm has hooked me up so much!! Their customer service is top notch and thats why even though they are usually one of the most expensive, they don't lose customers..

Geico is the opposite.. Usually one of the cheapest, not even close in customer service.
You get what you pay for. I have paid a couple hundred dollars more for insurance in the last couple years but I get exceptional service. I'm thinking about shopping but I think I would miss the service I get from SF.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Instructor

So geico will not cover my oem windshield and it just so happenes my policy ends tomorrow . so I am switching to a diff company simply to get my windshield replaced with a different insurance company. Which one will I be 100% with getting oem windshield?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Instructor

So geico wont replace my glass and my policy is up too. Who is the best insurance company to get oem glass put in 100%? Im switching tomorrow for sure.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
ADVANCE DRIVER

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have state farm and they allow you to choose. I had the OEM replaced on my Inifnti and all I paid was deductible, which is $200. Then they ended up effin'g up my "seal" so I got it for nothing. I have a small chip in my TL windshield now and I can get OEM put in, and pay my deductible, and when I have 200 to waste on something that silly I will do it all depends on the insurance company really..
Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 PM
ADVANCE DRIVER

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by illadelph
So geico wont replace my glass and my policy is up too. Who is the best insurance company to get oem glass put in 100%? Im switching tomorrow for sure.
Read my post below ...
State Farm is the best to go with. They allow you to chose option, and only have to pay deductible.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

careful with the switch...you have a pre-existing issue on your car...new company MAY not cover it. kind of like health insurance...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
The bottom line is, it depends on what your policy reads. 100 people can have Geico but they all can have different policies. That applies for any insurance company, so the best thing to do is read your policy now and not when something happens.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SpenceTLMonster
I have state farm and they allow you to choose. I had the OEM replaced on my Inifnti and all I paid was deductible, which is $200. Then they ended up effin'g up my "seal" so I got it for nothing. I have a small chip in my TL windshield now and I can get OEM put in, and pay my deductible, and when I have 200 to waste on something that silly I will do it all depends on the insurance company really..
I can verify this. I had the windshield on my Maxima replaced and I got to choose to have an OEM one put in for the cost of the deductible. I will be doing the same thing for my TL because there are like 5 chips in the windshield.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Here we go again. Read this to be sure you know what you are getting:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=15

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I had mine replaced last year because I had 2 rock chips. Very small. I called State Farm and they asked me what I wanted. I told them I want to have OEM glass. They said NO PROBLEM. I had the work done by Safelite. It was a piece of cake.

Based on what I was told you have the option to request the OEM glass. If their is a price difference then you may be asked to pay it. I was never asked. All I had to pay was my deductible.
If the work was done by Safelite, I kind of doubt you got OEM distributor glass. It was most likely OEE glass.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Healingduck
I can verify this. I had the windshield on my Maxima replaced and I got to choose to have an OEM one put in for the cost of the deductible. I will be doing the same thing for my TL because there are like 5 chips in the windshield.
5 rock chips will not get you a new windshield. Probably will use the resin to fill them up.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
5 rock chips will not get you a new windshield. Probably will use the resin to fill them up.
Yea, you're probably right since there aren't any actual cracks. I'd be happy either way though.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Well since geico is obv. cheaper i've decided to bite the bullet and go with Pilkington glass. The cost for that is around $225 and OEM was $780 installed. I've read that pilington glass in our cars has been fine from what some of the members on here have said.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

did you NOT read the thread i linked you to?? you can get the AP tech glass that is on your car WITHOUT the honda/acura label. its the EXACT SAME glass and half the price of the factory glass.

just trying to help...the AP tech glass that i have on my car has the exact same specs as the factory glass....cost $370 (add more $$ for install and molding).

but...do whatever...