Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Guide Review of 2004 TL

Favorable review.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...492#highlights
Old 10-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Man, everyone pines over RWD but it's not practical here in the Snow Belt. AWD is where Acura ought to go next. There has to be a way to integrate the tech from the Honda/Acura SUVs into the TL. It would then be totally unstoppable, finally toppling BMW.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by neuronbob
Man, everyone pines over RWD but it's not practical here in the Snow Belt. AWD is where Acura ought to go next. There has to be a way to integrate the tech from the Honda/Acura SUVs into the TL. It would then be totally unstoppable, finally toppling BMW.
EXACTLY. Yeah sure, RWD is wondering and fun, but for a lot of folks, it just isn't practical. It's my understanding that the RL actually sells well in the NE even though it's under powered and FWD.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally posted by shingles
EXACTLY. Yeah sure, RWD is wondering and fun, but for a lot of folks, it just isn't practical. It's my understanding that the RL actually sells well in the NE even though it's under powered and FWD.
The RL, ES300/330 sell quite well in the Northeast because of FWD, its true. I know several people with RL's there and each one of them wanted a FWD luxury car.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear

Not practical in the snow belt? Please. RWD, particularly when combined with limited-slip diff, traction control, and a decent set of snow tires, will do just fine in the snow if you know what you're doing. I had an '88 Isuzu pickup (RWD) that had NO electronic aids. Threw some cement blocks in the bed for ballast and you couldn't stop it. It's all a matter of public perception. The fact remains, if you want a true sports, not "sporty" sedan, the rear wheels need to be driven. AWD is fine, as long as there's a rear bias under normal conditions to keep the car balanced. FWD just can't touch A/RWD from a handling standpoint.

Here in New England, I see quite a few more Lexus LS430s than Acura RLs, so apparently folks who want a powerful luxury sedan aren't afraid of RWD. Acura doesn't have a RWD sedan because Honda doesn't have a viable RWD sedan platform for it to share. Closest thing they have is the S2000, but if they wanted to convert it to a sedan, like the 350Z/G35, they would have to do something with the motor. Not enough torque or flexibility in the 2.2L/8000-rpm screamer. Honda appears to be quite content to cater to the "sporty" sedan segment, which is fine so long as they're meeting their sales targets. It's nice to finally see them offer a manual transmission in a midsize sedan; hopefully it will sell well and Acura will give some thought to sending some power aft.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Racer

yea but you also have to think the AVERAGE individual does not want to have to keep swaping tires each season. Some people don't want RWD in the snow like me, but people like my dad refuse! First he doesn't want to spend more money on tires, and 2nd he doesn't want a set to just sit around in the garage for 1/2 a year and just take up space. AWD is the way Acura should go, that is if they go anywhere besides FWD. Just my opinion though!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:42 AM
Instructor

lol, u nutz..

. It would then be totally unstoppable, finally toppling BMW.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally posted by GaddAMIT
yea but you also have to think the AVERAGE individual does not want to have to keep swaping tires each season. Some people don't want RWD in the snow like me, but people like my dad refuse! First he doesn't want to spend more money on tires, and 2nd he doesn't want a set to just sit around in the garage for 1/2 a year and just take up space. AWD is the way Acura should go, that is if they go anywhere besides FWD. Just my opinion though!
Again, if you're going for the true SPORTS sedan market, RWD is the way to go. Regardless of the driven wheels, a driver looking for absolute top-shelf dry handling will opt for summer tires. Acura is offering these on the TL, presumably in a effort to go after this market. The SPORTY sedan buyer is quite content to stick with all-season tires and the compromises they inevitably carry with them.

For me, changing tires is a routine. Once I started autocrossing, it just wasn't a big deal to me. Every couple of weeks, on go the race tires. When November rolls around, on go the snows. As for taking up space in the garage, I used a little Yankee ingenuity and built myself a rack that holds eight tires, waaaay up high where they're not in my way.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

The problem with RWD comes in places like Louisville. It doesn't snow very much here so changing over to snow tires is a major waste since they wear out so fast on dry roads. My BMW managed more than once to leave me stranded in massive one inch snow storms. Traction control and stability assist on Rwd cars like the Bimmer just means the wheels don't spin when you are stuck. I learned to leave the sob at home and take my wife's Audi at the rumor of snow.