Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a sale- new tires or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering a sale- new tires or no?

So after 14 years, I'm considering selling my '06 TL 6MT (I have the Tesla bug, BAD...). It needs new tires soon, as they are right on the wear bars. Given that these are the stock wheels, should I put new tires on before the sale, or sell as-is and lower my asking price. My only thought on selling as-is is that someone looking for 6MT may want to getting in modding it, thus money wasted if new wheels and tires (upsized) are chosen.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Depends on the buyer. I think most people will notice if tires are completely bald, and if they do they will haggle.

For me, I would prefer to buy car with "almost bald" tires. Then I can put whatever tires I want, and it will also give me info about alignment and suspension status. If tires are worn evenly, then it means there is no problems.

I would hate to buy car with brand new cheapest tires. I bought rav4 like that and needed to get rid of them as car was not very usable in winter.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
depends, i would say new tires and you can sell it for more, or just sell as is. i mean if i could afford it i would get tires for the next buyer and just tack it on the sale price. makes it easier for them and itll make the car look nicer overall. glws
Old 08-06-2020, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
I'd say it's a catch 22. Some don't want to spend the extra money all at one time, especially after a car purchase,
and some will critique the tires on the car and if found not to their liking, they will once again think about a tire change
so a waste to spend the money on new tires.
I always have a tire that has at least 50% tread remaining and have installed used tires on a car to not only appease
sellers, but to keep some money in my pocket.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
If the rest of the car is clean then I would get new tires. If it’s looking beat up then I’d pass.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Assuming the car is clean, would you consider $3,000 for it?
Old 08-06-2020, 07:00 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
I'd say it's a catch 22. Some don't want to spend the extra money all at one time, especially after a car purchase,
and some will critique the tires on the car and if found not to their liking, they will once again think about a tire change
so a waste to spend the money on new tires.
I always have a tire that has at least 50% tread remaining and have installed used tires on a car to not only appease
sellers, but to keep some money in my pocket.
I have to agree that it might be best to get some used brand name tires that have 50% life or so. Gives the buyer peace of mind, and also doesn't hit your pocket as hard.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by vpasla1
I have to agree that it might be best to get some used brand name tires that have 50% life or so. Gives the buyer peace of mind, and also doesn't hit your pocket as hard.
yeah thats a good point turbo. makes sense for maximizing profit. when i got my 3g recently the front two tires were the same offbrand and the rear two were two different offbrands... so 3 throwaway brands but the tread is good on them. kinda annoying as i dont want to waste them but i also dont love using them. interested to see how michelin pilot sport as3+s will compare
Old 08-06-2020, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
I look at it this way....as a "car" guy...what that means really varies....I have no interest in a new car that has crappy $50 tires on it. I absolutely will judge the person selling it to me for having such crap on the car. If they are willing to cheap out on tires, what else did they cheap out on.

Now....buying a car with nearly bald tires. As long as it is priced right and the bald tires aren't cheap $50 tires, I will judge a lot less. Of course it will need to be priced appropriately knowing that another $500-1000 will need to be invested right off the bat for proper tires. One of my wife's previous vehicles was purchased from the used lot of a Chevy dealer with nearly worn out tires. They were the original tires, worn evenly, fairly close to the wear bars, but it was declared that way to us and was priced accordingly. We bought it, and the next week had brand new tires installed on it.

I won't lie either...if I saw a car with truly bald tires...as in not safe levels of bald tires, I will absolutely judge that person and that car in a negative manner. I find running tires anywhere near the wear indicators to be offensive and not safe. Just my own view of it all.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Current tires are Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-seasons. I have loved them... even at .070" tread remaining, they are still good in the rain (that's been tested a lot in the past two weeks). Not the stickiest, but I don't really have a need for that anymore. LOL it doesn't seem offensive.
Maybe I'm shopping wrong, but used tires around here seem to be hard to find, and the last place I called that could get me 4 of the same wanted $450. I can do something like the BF Goodrich g-Force Comp2 All-Seasons from Costco for under $550 done, so I might just go that route.

The car is decently clean, but not without a few minor cosmetic issues. I bought it new, i've maintained it myself, it is just about to roll 130k miles. Maybe I should just keep it and skip the Tesla.

Last edited by T Ho; 08-06-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:32 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by T Ho
Current tires are Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-seasons. I have loved them... even at .070" tread remaining, they are still good in the rain (that's been tested a lot in the past two weeks). Not the stickiest, but I don't really have a need for that anymore. LOL it doesn't seem offensive.
Maybe I'm shopping wrong, but used tires around here seem to be hard to find, and the last place I called that could get me 4 of the same wanted $450. I can do something like the BF Goodrich g-Force Comp2 All-Seasons from Costco for under $550 done, so I might just go that route.

The car is decently clean, but not without a few minor cosmetic issues. I bought it new, i've maintained it myself, it is just about to roll 130k miles. Maybe I should just keep it and skip the Tesla.
just check your local Craigslist day to day, I'm sure you'll find something come up.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Everybody wants a Tesla, another Cult in the making. Good to keep for 4-5 years then unload as
long as you don't need to travel distances, esp. in winter.
There are two yards in Northern VA that have a complete set (4), one Toyo, the other Pirelli $240.
Still might be a hassle to get the tires, mount/balance and have $300 in the tires when for a few
hundred more, new tires.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by T Ho
. ...Maybe I should just keep it and skip the Tesla.
Would have been my suggestion...
Old 08-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I’ll go with a set of Pirelli PZero A/S Plus for now. I found a good deal on them. Keep/sell decision is ongoing. Still ready for an EV though, too bad Honda/Acura dragging their feet here.