Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTENTION NEW TL OWNERS~! oh WTH attention all TL owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Angry ATTENTION NEW TL OWNERS~! oh WTH attention all TL owners

I know how I hate BS & Beating Dead Horses, so I will keep it as short as I can.

I joined ACURAZINE in 2008. Immediately I was greeted with camaraderie & an open handed/helpful nature. Everybody seemed respectful & willing to help. If I had a question, it was answered... PERIOD. Sure there were plenty of disagreeing ideas, but it was usually settled in a way where the final decision to do the FIX/MOD/ACCESSORY or WHATEVER was left in the hands of the OP (original poster).

Fast forward to 2011. I see members, old & new getting banned for stupid arguments or personal attacks, because of a simple difference of opinion. This not only hurts them, (the banned) it also brings the WHOLE FORUM DOWN.

^This, my fellow A-ZINERS, has the potential to KILL the FORUM. I understand that the 3G is now becoming more affordable in the used car market for the younger members. I also get, that most of the time, showing respect, comes with age. Because of this we are getting a lot of OLD members getting frustrated with the noobs & being cold & harsh, which in return causes the noobs to try to defend themselves with un-experienced information or personal attacks.

This shit has to stop (pardon my french)
I want this forum to stay helpful until my TL dies. & I hope it stays alive for as long as your TL is on the road too.
So I leave you guys with some suggestions:

TO THE A-ZINE VETERANS :
Thank you for all your help since the beginning. Your knowledge & wisdom have gotten me out of binds like you wouldn't believe.
But remember, you were noobs once too. Have a little more patience.
Sometimes the answer to a question is shorter than coming up with a clever "rude post" about how they should use the damn SEARCH button.

TO THE NOOBS :
Welcome to the family. The TL is a fantastic choice.
I know you guys will find all your questions answered here. But remember the 3G TL has been out of production since 2008. Therefore most (90%) of the issues you are having/or going to have have already happened to someone else. So to sound like a broken record... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!
Its 6 lines under your user name.... "search this forum"

TO EVERYBODY CLICK HERE
.....even those who have already seen it. WATCH IT AGAIN. Watch the freakin video. Its been there since the beginning & its guna keep our forum alive.
The following 7 users liked this post by TRIOD3SIGNS:
clsdave (10-22-2011), douchebox (01-31-2016), EvilVirus (10-22-2011), lamaravilla20 (10-22-2011), michael.andres1 (10-24-2011), Mr Twisty (09-28-2021), robocam (04-03-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^This apparently has been bothering you for quite some time. I dont know how many of yall read everything here but the vid was actually funny. I recommend it.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM
New York state of mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my name is soundmurderer and i support this message
Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Appreciate it !!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
agreed brother! great post!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Very well said... You described this well as you've come to my aid when attacked over sophomoric stuff That otherwise should just be left as another members valued opinion. Thank you for this post. and thread.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Slythslyr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice, i havent been on here very long but have been on other forums and i agree as well.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
nicely said
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 PM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
i concur
Old 01-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Completely agree with Trio and i loved the video haha
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
For the new members (and old, as it is regularly maintained) I would like to point out the 3G Garage here.
So many answers to so many questions right there. The BEST place to start!
Welcome and enjoy your TL.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Plastic schmastic

This has been a hard forum to get used to.
New threads of interest are hard to find in between all the "hey look at my new car" threads, of which I had one also.
Some car stuff is left in the main forum, others that seem similar are moved to the "Problem and Fixes" section. You get folks who really enjoy the nuts-and-bolts stuff all mixed together with all the "Give me more plastic" and other 'modding' stuff.
I am in no way complaining, just an observation as I try and assimilate.
There are disrespectful folks everywhere, and like it or not, the less the age, the less likely to express common courtesy. And this appears to be a very young forum.
It is nice though to see there are folks on here who have noticed something I guess, and care about it.
And man has it been odd getting used to all the cussing!! Another slant to the younger crowd.....
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 PM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
For the new members (and old, as it is regularly maintained) I would like to point out the 3G Garage here.
So many answers to so many questions right there. The BEST place to start!
Welcome and enjoy your TL.
Agree. Post a new thread will have to wait for answer while in garage already have the answer ( almost ) include pics
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
amen!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Cool

Yes Im a noob ... but I would still like to share an idea . I think this forum lacks a number of sub-forums.

Like the poster above mentioned, "Hey Look at my new car thread". We need to have a new ride intro sub-forum.

Likewise, there should be a sub forum for, BAD MORNINGS and incidents .. that will keep the "wheels stolen", "car broken into", "TL got hurt", help only topics where the seniors can advise the rest on what steps to take.

Car Meets should also have a different sub-forum where people can organize meets and then share pics

The list goes on and on but I hope the message is understood :-) Take care guys and keep the love alive !!!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
very well put and I agree with mani
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 PM
injured... injured bad

Azine. Thanks to everyone who has shared your knowledge and experience. I have no idea where I would be without yall.

I definitely agree with OP. I know I'm only 23 and I guess I'm an old soul, but us youngins gotta cool the jets and learn to think before we post. I've been the one that has started dumb new threads and re-posted and when the veterans swarmed in to straighten me out, rather than get butt hurt and cuss at them and threaten them, I just backed out. Simple.

To the younger crowd (myself included):
Don't get butt hurt and cuss people out. Respect your elders and the veterans. We all got a part to play in keeping this forum classy.

*no homo*
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by mani
Yes Im a noob ... but I would still like to share an idea . I think this forum lacks a number of sub-forums.

Like the poster above mentioned, "Hey Look at my new car thread". We need to have a new ride intro sub-forum.

Likewise, there should be a sub forum for, BAD MORNINGS and incidents .. that will keep the "wheels stolen", "car broken into", "TL got hurt", help only topics where the seniors can advise the rest on what steps to take.

Car Meets should also have a different sub-forum where people can organize meets and then share pics

The list goes on and on but I hope the message is understood :-) Take care guys and keep the love alive !!!
Check the regions part of the forums.

Bad Morning and Incidents can be posted in the General Discussion. To many sub-forums would screw up a lot of things actually and makes no sense to make because everything is covered already.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I try not to flame a new member or anyone. I usually fail anyways.

But I don't want the forums to be clogged up about oil changes instead I hope it could be clogged up with new information like the 3rd/4th gear sensor, TL diet, Redline Racing ATF, F/I, etc...

When I was newb, I got flamed once, and I learned from it. Some new people on these boards post the dumbest threads ever that should either be in the Car Talk or Ramblings. Or a thread that is repeated 5 times in a page that are new. I mean if I see someone that has already search the item/topic and showed links and wanted additional information, I wouldn't mind. Now if they post a thread saying hey I'm too lazy to search and I wanted to make a topic, then I say F**** off.

Same thing with anything else in life. Can't give you a piggy-back ride ALL MY LIFE BRAH.

Last edited by TheChamp531; 01-28-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:30 AM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree, I wish the search function was used a lot more too. The same threads popping asking the same question is excessive at times IMO.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OneWickedTypeS
I agree, I wish the search function was used a lot more too. The same threads popping asking the same question is excessive at times IMO.
I concur but the search function needs to be improved before anyone can be flamed for not using it.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 AM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
We had the same problem on about 4-5 years ago. Before that, it was an excellent site for the cutting edge side of the RSX-s and the K20 in general. But the problem started when let's face it, the cars get cheap and more and more 17 year olds are convincing their parents to buy them one. The same is true for the TL right now. Our cars are losing incredible value everyday and proof is right here are the forum. Hell, even the TL-s is being pursued by a crowd completely different than that who bought them even 2-3 years ago when they were still asking about 30k for them used.

I would say I "MOSTLY" agree with the OP, a little bit of discretion and courtesy goes a long way and we can all improve on that. But at the same time, it gets pretty difficult to practice this when the forum is filled with threads such as...

What size is the oil drain plug bolt?
What CAI should I get?
Which exhaust is better?
Does this fit my TL?
Will these wheels fit my car?

yada yada yada

This list goes on and on. There should be a certain expectation that a new member has a certain "learning curve" to get on before they should even post something on the forum. Hell make it a policy that a member can't post ANYTHING to the forum until at least a month of "research and observation" has past first. It makes complete sense to me being thats exactly what I did the months prior to buying my TL.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Trio - you missed a major component:

IF THE THREAD HAS BEEN POSTED UMPTEEN TIMES AND CAN BE FOUND VIA SEARCH, DON'T ANSWER THE THREAD - DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. DOING SO ONLY ENCOURAGES SUCH BEHAVIOR.

Now, I don't say this to be averse to the n00bs, but spoon feeding answers doesn't help anyone at any facet in life...seriously. A spec questions? LED bulbs questions? SERIOUSLY?!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by soon2b954
I concur but the search function needs to be improved before anyone can be flamed for not using it.
The search feature is not perfect but it does its job more often than not. For the new members, when you are searching, use quotation marks around your search terms. Also, I find it helpful to search titles only and not posts. Finally, a lot of members have luck using google to search AcuraZine. I chuckle everytime I see a member start a post stating, "I searched first....." when the 3G Service Department addresses the exact issue.

Trio- on the thread. Bottom line- for the new members, please look in the 3G Service Department and/or search before posting threads, or at least attempt to look at the forum or the last few recent pages as your questions has probably already been asked.
For the veterans, have patience. Your presence is what makes AcuraZine the great forum it is.

For the members wanting additional subforums, look at The Champ's response (#19). Admin is not inclined to adding additional subforums.

Thanks.

Last edited by ggesq; 01-29-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
Old 01-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Sorry if I come off as an asshole!
not my intentions
Old 01-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Plastic schmastic

Originally Posted by ggesq
The search feature is not perfect but it does its job more often than not. ..........Finally, a lot of members have luck using google to search AcuraZine.
I've come from a forum that utilizes this exact same forum software. {"looks" the same, anyway} They incorporated the "Google search" within the regular search function. When you click on the search function, a "Google search" is just below the "advanced search" selection.
**for reference** click on "search"
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...splay.php?f=15
Might this be available within forum software choices?

That helps with the searching for a more specific search also.

About the young ones on here, it is perplexing. While there are some very sharp kids that seem to "get it" {examples above}, there is just a huge percentage of the very immature type. Not sure why. My diesel Mercedes forum had a lot of kids on it, but it is a very low percentage of immaturity.
It might be the fact of focusing on engineering and repair of an older model of vehicle vs a newer plasticky car that one can fool themself into thinking it is a race car.
Even the emoticon choices slant to a waaaay younger audience.
Either way, enough sharp folks on here who care to make this site a valuable reference. Just not quite the "community" of some other places.
Then again, I haven't really been around here long, so my opinion could be way off target, and I acknowledge that. :wink:

**edit**
BTW, why couldn't there be a 3G "introduction" thread. That stuff is clogging this forum up more than anything. "Welcome" and "Congrats" and "how much did you pay" and "enter your navi and radio codes here" and "this thread worthless without pics" etc...
Just sayin'......

Last edited by jimmyl; 01-29-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Oh the drama...

Only kidding.

I find that there are a lot of members who have trouble distincting constructive criticism, which leads to the whole drama part.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
MechEng

I think even if there was a 2G, 3G, 4G, etc. introduction thread stickied, no new member would bother to read it. I know I wouldnt.

Maybe it could be somehow incorporated in the registration process. Although I know we all ignore those license agreements and fine print, like when installing software and just click next, there has got to be a way to force people to read it when registering.

I dunno, just my
Old 01-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
There should be an intro test... That everyone signing up for an account must pass a certain standard level of how to use the site.. Haha don't know how it could be enforced, but it will def help
Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Racer

I agree that repeat threads about things like the AEM V2 intake are annoying. I do believe that the search feature needs some work. I'm not in school, I work a fulltime job sometimes 50+ hours a week. I'm raising two children, and have all those other things to do in life. I don't want to sit there figuring out the right words to type in the search box that will yield me the information I'm looking for. Some of us just don't have time for that. I'm one of those members that will give the search feature a try at least a couple of times before starting a thread though. Search feature needs work though.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
There should be an intro test... That everyone signing up for an account must pass a certain standard level of how to use the site.. Haha don't know how it could be enforced, but it will def help

Your joking right ? I mean what is this ? Are newcomers getting into Acura Grad School or something
Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
OP, Thanks, good advice for all, young and OLD.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Plastic schmastic

11 threads right now on page one that have to do with new TL ownership.
That isn't too far off what clogs that page on most days. You mean a new TL sticky wouldn't alleviate that superfluous congestion?
It is hard to get interested in this site and experience much community between all the greetings and other threads asking about A-Specs or some LED somewhere.
It has been maddening.......
Look, I realize nobody begged me to join up and hang around. I've just been trying to get my sea legs here and it is difficult.

Last edited by jimmyl; 01-30-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
MechEng

Originally Posted by mani
Your joking right ? I mean what is this ? Are newcomers getting into Acura Grad School or something
its not just about Acuras though. the test would be about how to use this forum, as well as other forums similar to Azine.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyl
11 threads right now on page one that have to do with new TL ownership.
That isn't too far off what clogs that page on most days. You mean a new TL sticky wouldn't alleviate that superfluous congestion?
It is hard to get interested in this site and experience much community between all the greetings and other threads asking about A-Specs or some LED somewhere.
It has been maddening.......
Look, I realize nobody begged me to join up and hang around. I've just been trying to get my sea legs here and it is difficult.
whats difficult?
the new members making their into's are fine.

I had written up a noobs guide on where to find the aspec kit, brakes and other commonly asked questions, but what I realized is that most of the info can be found in the 3G service Department AKA the Garage. I found that I was wasting my time writing out a whole thread, when the info is already here.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
I try to help wherever I could.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
Sorry for the novel, but i want to explain the plight of a noob

As a noob myself, I have to say that when I found this forum I was excited. I was in the market for a 3G TL and I found a community that I thought (like many noobs do) I could fit into. I have friends who think a car is only a tool used to get from point A to point B (and this is fine...i guess....but these people would visit smartcarzine or toyotayariszine or something…if they gave a shit about their cars…which they clearly don’t).
I have a wife who tells me to stop fussing over my car “It’s JUST an Acura not a Bentley". “Why do I have to park in the farthest possible spot? Why does my car have to be tucked into the garage every night? Why did we have to make a detour to the local Acura dealer lately to buy lock nuts for the car on the way to a social outing”?

AZine is a place where I thought we Acura enthusiasts can share info, pics, stories, advice etc., because our Acuras ARE OUR "Bentleys". I'm on my second TL (The 1st was a 2nd Gen car) and I love them. Sexy, sophisticated, sporty - all in a package that doesn't necessarily kill the bankbook (That’s why we mod them right??...to make it interesting on the bankbook…. )?

So I exchange a large stack of $100 bills with a man several weeks ago and in turn receive a 2008 NBP TL Type-S. (I learned that NBP thing pretty soon) What an amazing day!! Now I can join AZine and share my enthusiasm with like minded people right?? Not really...I gotta wait 15 days and make 5 posts...and I dont really know how to use the forum anyway. I don’t know where to look for advise either….The result??....repeated posts and questions seemingly stupid to veterans. PMs that aren’t returned, because people don’t take this 26 year old seriously (I was allowed to send them out one at a time). My (the noobs’) redundant and repetitive posts aren’t made out of malice, ignorance, disrespect, lack of a search button, or stupidity - but because of the fact that we have to reach a post quota, and let’s be honest, out of SHEER EXCITEMENT!!....For me…Excitement to own this Acura, my dream car…FINALLY.....the car I drooled over when released in '07...excitement to share this moment with the ONLY people who really understand….isn’t this the whole point?

Vets…please have some patience with us – we’re green…but we want to learn, and we’re trying. I may not have made a bunch of repeat posts (like many complain about), but its clear many do. Just like its clear my PMs weren’t important enough for some to respond to…I’m sorry the recipients felt that way. I just want to illustrate where we noobs come from for those vets out there…
Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigPZ
As a noob myself, I have to say that when I found this forum I was excited. I was in the market for a 3G TL and I found a community that I thought (like many noobs do) I could fit into. I have friends who think a car is only a tool used to get from point A to point B (and this is fine...i guess....but these people would visit smartcarzine or toyotayariszine or something…if they gave a shit about their cars…which they clearly don’t).
I have a wife who tells me to stop fussing over my car “It’s JUST an Acura not a Bentley". “Why do I have to park in the farthest possible spot? Why does my car have to be tucked into the garage every night? Why did we have to make a detour to the local Acura dealer lately to buy lock nuts for the car on the way to a social outing”?

AZine is a place where I thought we Acura enthusiasts can share info, pics, stories, advice etc., because our Acuras ARE OUR "Bentleys". I'm on my second TL (The 1st was a 2nd Gen car) and I love them. Sexy, sophisticated, sporty - all in a package that doesn't necessarily kill the bankbook (That’s why we mod them right??...to make it interesting on the bankbook…. )?

So I exchange a large stack of $100 bills with a man several weeks ago and in turn receive a 2008 NBP TL Type-S. (I learned that NBP thing pretty soon) What an amazing day!! Now I can join AZine and share my enthusiasm with like minded people right?? Not really...I gotta wait 15 days and make 5 posts...and I dont really know how to use the forum anyway. I don’t know where to look for advise either….The result??....repeated posts and questions seemingly stupid to veterans. PMs that aren’t returned, because people don’t take this 26 year old seriously (I was allowed to send them out one at a time). My (the noobs’) redundant and repetitive posts aren’t made out of malice, ignorance, disrespect, lack of a search button, or stupidity - but because of the fact that we have to reach a post quota, and let’s be honest, out of SHEER EXCITEMENT!!....For me…Excitement to own this Acura, my dream car…FINALLY.....the car I drooled over when released in '07...excitement to share this moment with the ONLY people who really understand….isn’t this the whole point?

Vets…please have some patience with us – we’re green…but we want to learn, and we’re trying. I may not have made a bunch of repeat posts (like many complain about), but its clear many do. Just like its clear my PMs weren’t important enough for some to respond to…I’m sorry the recipients felt that way. I just want to illustrate where we noobs come from for those vets out there…
Welcome!
the quickest way to up your post count is to make an intro thread about yourself, posting pictures by uploading them to a photo sharing site like photobucket.
before I started posting, I lurked for more than 2 months reading and learning all I could about my car.
Enjoy your stay.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION NEW TL OWNERS~! oh WTH attention all TL owners