ATTENTION NEW TL OWNERS~! oh WTH attention all TL owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mani
Your joking right ? I mean what is this ? Are newcomers getting into Acura Grad School or something
not suppose to be intense like the MCATs... bet def need something to educate newcomers in how to FIND what their looking for.. rather than posting new threads about topics alrdy discussed and have older members blow their tops off at them

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
its not just about Acuras though. the test would be about how to use this forum, as well as other forums similar to Azine.
thank you. lol MANY forums are VERY similar.. all the vets complain about newcomers not using the "search" function... and almost all forums cover the same topics

IF they learned how to use one forum correctly from the very beginning.. they'll be able to be more efficent when lurking thru other forums
Old 01-31-2011 | 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Post your suggestions here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-member-help-support-suggestions-area-363/
Old 01-31-2011 | 06:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mani
Your joking right ? I mean what is this ? Are newcomers getting into Acura Grad School or something
Gotta agreee with Mani on this one. But Im glad someone raised this issue. Great post.
Old 01-31-2011 | 10:09 AM

Awesome post.

I know being part of a forum takes some getting used to, I've created stupid threads as well, but it's frustrating seeing X number of threads per week asking "Where to buy A-Spec kit?" or stuff like that. CLEARLY that person didn't search.

And I've gotta agree with whoever said it first, the search function is terrible. I use Google and type "Acurazine" plus whatever I'm searching for. That works much better than the function here.

I Acurazine and the interaction we all have together. I hope the new guys understand that we aren't picking on you, but rather trying to lead you in the right direction.
Old 01-31-2011 | 12:08 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Coming from Honda-Tech.com when i had my ls/vtec...that site was overloading with the typical noob post as described in the beginning here. AEM V2, i want exhaust, etc etc. Now using the search is great but i do agree that searching for what you want can get very tedious. If i search say "TL Stock sub" which is a common question i could get a 100 post ranging from The stock size to how to take it out, or someone talking about finding a replacement. So sometimes digging through the info can be tiresome. But for someone like me and many more we know how to search.

I would suggest doing a thread rate function. The ability to rate on a scale how good that thread is i.e. (information, problem solving etc) that way when someone searches and the threads with the higher scores are first, descend from there. I think would be a useful idea to use.
Old 01-31-2011 | 12:18 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Originally Posted by ggesq
All of you are idiots and I'll ban every single one of you!

Thanks
Old 01-31-2011 | 12:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BigPZ
As a noob myself, I have to say that when I found this forum I was excited. I was in the market for a 3G TL and I found a community that I thought (like many noobs do) I could fit into. I have friends who think a car is only a tool used to get from point A to point B (and this is fine...i guess....but these people would visit smartcarzine or toyotayariszine or something…if they gave a shit about their cars…which they clearly don’t).
I have a wife who tells me to stop fussing over my car “It’s JUST an Acura not a Bentley". “Why do I have to park in the farthest possible spot? Why does my car have to be tucked into the garage every night? Why did we have to make a detour to the local Acura dealer lately to buy lock nuts for the car on the way to a social outing”?

AZine is a place where I thought we Acura enthusiasts can share info, pics, stories, advice etc., because our Acuras ARE OUR "Bentleys". I'm on my second TL (The 1st was a 2nd Gen car) and I love them. Sexy, sophisticated, sporty - all in a package that doesn't necessarily kill the bankbook (That’s why we mod them right??...to make it interesting on the bankbook…. )?

So I exchange a large stack of $100 bills with a man several weeks ago and in turn receive a 2008 NBP TL Type-S. (I learned that NBP thing pretty soon) What an amazing day!! Now I can join AZine and share my enthusiasm with like minded people right?? Not really...I gotta wait 15 days and make 5 posts...and I dont really know how to use the forum anyway. I don’t know where to look for advise either….The result??....repeated posts and questions seemingly stupid to veterans. PMs that aren’t returned, because people don’t take this 26 year old seriously (I was allowed to send them out one at a time). My (the noobs’) redundant and repetitive posts aren’t made out of malice, ignorance, disrespect, lack of a search button, or stupidity - but because of the fact that we have to reach a post quota, and let’s be honest, out of SHEER EXCITEMENT!!....For me…Excitement to own this Acura, my dream car…FINALLY.....the car I drooled over when released in '07...excitement to share this moment with the ONLY people who really understand….isn’t this the whole point?

Vets…please have some patience with us – we’re green…but we want to learn, and we’re trying. I may not have made a bunch of repeat posts (like many complain about), but its clear many do. Just like its clear my PMs weren’t important enough for some to respond to…I’m sorry the recipients felt that way. I just want to illustrate where we noobs come from for those vets out there…
welcome!

and this is a PERFECT example of how a "test/tutorial" can help... it'll GUIDE newcomers in how to utilize the site.. where to find things.. and know whats already been discussed without being lost
Old 01-31-2011 | 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by djtsmith007
I would suggest doing a thread rate function. The ability to rate on a scale how good that thread is i.e. (information, problem solving etc) that way when someone searches and the threads with the higher scores are first, descend from there. I think would be a useful idea to use.
We already have that. But it's rarely used, if at all. If you look up toward the top of the thread and on the right your will see:

You can rate the thread under "Rate Thread" (imagine that)

And "Search this Thread" is another way to search.
Old 01-31-2011 | 06:34 PM
Registered TL Owner

Agreed. The forum has definitely taken a different vibe in the past year.
Old 01-31-2011 | 11:03 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
We already have that. But it's rarely used, if at all. If you look up toward the top of the thread and on the right your will see:

You can rate the thread under "Rate Thread" (imagine that)

And "Search this Thread" is another way to search.
Cant believe ive never noticed it, maybe i have and never took note. Well too bad its not used more often
Old 02-01-2011 | 12:12 AM
Advanced

Agreed, we all love cars so why hate. As a long time lurker and new member, I'll be sure to make the search button my best friend.
Old 02-01-2011 | 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thank god someone posted this. I'm so tired of people who think they are right all the damn time. This refresher was needed.
Old 02-01-2011 | 10:19 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by whudini3000
Thank god someone posted this. I'm so tired of people who think they are right all the damn time. This refresher was needed.
... or make a claim but when asked to prove their claim, refuse...
Old 02-01-2011 | 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Or people who have no experience with cars but believe google is the answer for everything.
Old 02-01-2011 | 12:00 PM

We're all getting banned.
Old 02-01-2011 | 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Pastor nfnsquared has spoken
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Old 02-01-2011 | 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Its officially gotten weird in here.

Roger, I agree with most of it. Instead of being rude I now just pick and choose what I reply to. If it looks like they tried to search or if they seem to really be in need I try and help.
Old 02-01-2011 | 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Its officially gotten weird in here.

Roger, I agree with most of it. Instead of being rude I now just pick and choose what I reply to. If it looks like they tried to search or if they seem to really be in need I try and help.
I believe this is the emoticon you were looking for..

Old 02-02-2011 | 10:37 PM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

The video made my day. I'm new to this forum, but not new to the etiquette that must be used on sites like this.... My good sirs.... *puts on top hat, picks up cane, salutes and leaves*

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 02-03-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Fixed
Old 02-03-2011 | 02:32 AM
Drifting

Old 02-03-2011 | 03:53 AM
Banned

Well put Trio
Old 02-03-2011 | 09:44 AM
Instructor

Good post!

I've noticed this about this forum and it's a good reminder to both sides as to how to be courteous to both the "Vets" and the "Noobs". I think sometimes Vets forget that when a person joins a forum that this may be the first forum they've ever join so they may not know how to use the forum properly. With that bein said, some people might not be as tech savvy as some of us on here. Lol
Old 02-03-2011 | 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

oh.... im lost.... i thought this was the ford focus fanclub
Old 02-03-2011 | 06:03 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Searching on Acurazine is painful.. it doesn't always work..

What has always worked for me is searching on google for what I am looking for and slapping the word acurazine at the end.

I usually get what I was looking for in one of the first three links that pop up.

OP great thread.
Old 02-03-2011 | 07:33 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

THNX FOR THE KIND WORDS GUYS! Just trying to keep the moral up in this forum. Didn't really have anything else to say. So uh yeah. THNX AGAIN.
Old 02-03-2011 | 08:00 PM
Drifting

Old 02-03-2011 | 08:02 PM
2nd Gear

Hi im a new member but have been visiting this site since i got my 2004 tl and i have been having the car for about 3 years now. Recently i have also seen the all the hate going on and people knocking eachother left rite and center and today after seeing this post i decided to join azine and become a member. "Cant we all just get along"
Old 02-03-2011 | 08:45 PM
Drifting

man i dont log on often enough and this happens? lol

OP - well said!
Old 02-09-2011 | 10:59 AM

Bumping an old thread to get a question answered > creating a new thread.

Come on guys.
Old 02-14-2011 | 07:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TRIOD3SIGNS

TO THE NOOBS :
Welcome to the family. The TL is a fantastic choice.
I know you guys will find all your questions answered here. But remember the 3G TL has been out of production since 2008. Therefore most (90%) of the issues you are having/or going to have have already happened to someone else. So to sound like a broken record... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!
Its 6 lines under your user name.... "search this forum"
The SEARCH feature works great if you know how to filter your results correctly. I've been browsing this site for a while now to research information regarding both generation TSX's and the 3G TL. Never once has SEARCH failed to answer my questions regarding either car and I had a TON of questions. With that being said, being rude with directing a n00b to the search feature is also uncalled for.
Old 02-14-2011 | 08:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dwb993
For the new members (and old, as it is regularly maintained) I would like to point out the 3G Garage here.
So many answers to so many questions right there. The BEST place to start!
Welcome and enjoy your TL.

Yes. Other than the membership, the single most valuable resource on this site is the 3G Garage.

This link will lead you to TONS of great info and answers to many of the most common questions.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/

If you find a thread/topic that should be added, send a link to the mods or post it here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-forums-3g-garage-thread-info-needed-706067/
Old 02-14-2011 | 09:00 PM
Racer

wow, i mean iv seen and read confrontations in these forums but never thought it would come to this. i guess i dont post and read enough on azine.com to notice the disperarity. NOW i feel bad because i am buying a 2007 TL, under 30 years old, and am going to make a " check out my new car" thread as soon as I buy my TL. I have been shopping many 3 G TLs for months and have done a ton of research on this website using the SEARCH function, yet my post total is very low. Acurazine.com still is and will be in future days an elite website for acura/honda gurus and newbies for a while. prehaps mods can tweek their system for new forum memebers e.g a new member has to wait 30-45 days before he/she can post ot sell on BM? not hating just saying.
Old 02-14-2011 | 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

There are rules for posting for sale/trade threads. You have to be a member for at least 60 days and have 30 acceptable posts. Sometimes, the post requirement is waived if a member has been registered for a while.
Old 02-14-2011 | 10:01 PM
Plastic schmastic

Searching and finding real info seems to be the best way to enjoy the forum.
It keeps you from what is the overwhelming amount of "fluff" on here. There are so many new car threads, and simple superficial posts that you really have to "search" to find interesting car topics.
It has been a very hard forum to come to and feel any semblance of community. Sure, there is traffic, but I just don't see the bonding with folks when a car issue is proposed, discussed, then solved. Then again, I imagine it has allot to do with the fact that I came from slightly older cars that needed repairing more often than these 3G TL's do so far. They will get there some day I guess......
In the meantime, just staying out of the way and trying to get along!
:surrender
Old 02-15-2011 | 02:52 AM
riding low and steady

OP great post. Being a member of plenty other forums, AZ isnt as bad as others are. One thing i see all to often is when a "noob" does search, he/she brings back a 2+ yr old thread and gets flamed for a thread revival. Honestly I'd rather see 10 thread revivals than 10 new threads about something thats been covered already, but thats just me.

Not only is that discouraging to the new member as he/she was smart enough to use the search function, but puts in their minds that this forum is full of dickheads giving us, Acurazine a bad rep.

The old saying of "you were a noob once before too" holds true for most or all of us in here as for some of the members here this is their first car and looking for help from the guys who have 10+ yrs of working on cars.

To me atleast, Acurazine has been one of the more mature forums i've been fortunate to be a part of. Maybe because its due to the age of the owners, who knows. If you guys really wanna see bad go check out honda-tech and go to the honda civic forums.

Lets just hope we can continue to play nice with each other. After all we are for the same thing so thats are start.

**Message to the new members***
Please Please Please give it some time for answers to come to you, I understand that you are looking for answers and in some cases you only join because you have an emergency to tend to, in that case my only suggestion is to take it to a shop. Don't freak out because you didnt get an answer 5 mins after posting. As mostly everyone here is working or busy with their everyday schedules. Not everyone that can answer your question(s) can be on the forums 24/7. We can help you it just takes time. Thank you have a nice day.

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 02-15-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2011 | 10:39 AM

This thread sucks. I expected at least 5 bans by now. I know ggesq is getting antsy.

Old 02-15-2011 | 12:13 PM
riding low and steady

I was thinking the same thing. Its a good eye opener though but agreed that it should be closed.
Old 02-15-2011 | 01:55 PM
Instructor

Good post

Nothing I hate more than "internet muscles" that's when people say things to you in a post they probably won't say to your face.

On the other hand--I've done a search for a thread that was on this site and could not find it. Perhaps it was old and was removed or I didn't type the correct tag either way its wasn't that important so I didn't start a new thread

So the question is: do old posts get removed after a certain time.
Old 02-15-2011 | 02:01 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
I was thinking the same thing. Its a good eye opener though but agreed that it should be closed.
huh?

Originally Posted by denny crane
i don't think any posts/threads get deleted. if you search for a topic it should pop up, rather it be from 2011 or 2004.

old threads (ones that haven't been updated in a while) get bumped off of the available pages, but if you search for something you'll be able to find it if that topic exists.
Old 02-15-2011 | 02:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by denny crane
Good post

Nothing I hate more than "internet muscles" that's when people say things to you in a post they probably won't say to your face.

On the other hand--I've done a search for a thread that was on this site and could not find it. Perhaps it was old and was removed or I didn't type the correct tag either way its wasn't that important so I didn't start a new thread.

That's exactly what gets to me. People who use an internet forum to play the tough guy. I act as if I'm face to face with people on here.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION NEW TL OWNERS~! oh WTH attention all TL owners