Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07-08 TL Switchblade Key to Regular Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:54 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07-08 TL Switchblade Key to Regular Key

I've seen alot of threads where people were trying to switch from their normal key + fob to a switchblade but not the other way around. For my old Honda Accord, I actually switched to a switchblade key but since I am planning on putting in a remote start system on my 08 TL-S, I do not plan on carrying a switchblade plus an extra fob and had to find other options. Although the Viper system can utilize the OEM fob to remote start by pressing the lock button three times, I wanted to use the Viper remote because the range is way further and plus it gives you two-way status if you have the remote with the ability which I plan on getting. Anyways, just wanted to share with you guys who are curious to go with a similar route that I took to make this possible. Another reason why I am going this route is because like many others, the blade is worn on mine where it does not lock in place and I don't want to replace it for the same thing to happen again.

Since Acura does not have any "laser cut" type keys that is not a switchblade type for the 07+ TL's I had to resort to Honda keys. There were many options but most of the Honda keys has the built in remote other than the Element and certain year Odysseys. You can find these keys pretty cheap at the dealer without having to buy aftermarket ones. I mainly resorted to OEM keys because you can sometimes run into problems programming aftermarket keys. The Element and Odyssey keys do come with the Honda emblem but after alot of searching, I found one person on eBay selling Acura emblems with the Honda shape which allowed me to easily make the key look OEM Acura. One perk of buying at the dealer is that most dealers will cut your key for free if you buy it from them which in my case was actually cheaper than buying a key online and having a locksmith cut it. From calling around, cutting a sidewinder key costs around $25 on the cheap side to about $50 if you provide your own key which can cost you from $10 for an aftermarket one to $20 - $30 for an OEM Honda key. Cutting at the dealer will cost around $20 to $30 (free if purchased there at most dealers) but you would have to provide your own OEM key, they will not cut aftermarket keys (or at least in my experience).

Honda Key: 35118-SDA-A01 $24
Emblem: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Acura-re...72.m2749.l2649 $10

Key cut and emblem = ~$34 without programming

Steps:
1. Buy the key and have it cut. Make sure that the stamp on your OEM key matches the one you buy. Since I have a 08 TL-S it has a V stamped on the key so in my case the later year Element keys has the same chip as my car from doing some research online. I verified that the Element key had the same V stamp and decided to take a chance with it.
2. Program the key with your car. Since I had access to an Autel Maxisys, I was able to program my own keys, I believe the dealer charges about $120 to get the key, have it cut and programmed.
3. Use a razor blade and carefully pluck out the Honda emblem and then place the Acura emblem on. This is not necessary if you are not OCD like me or if you got an aftermarket key with no emblem.

Hope this helps someone out