Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07-'08 TL-S Prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'07-'08 TL-S Prices

My girlfriend is in the market for a new car and the first car that came to my mind was a 3rd Gen TL-S. It has always been a favorite car of mines since they've come out. I live down here in GA and I've been searching High and Low for a decent condition TL-S. I've visited and test drove all the ones in the surrounding area and they are ALL in terrible condition. I don't know what people have been doing with these cars. Our only requirement is that it's below 100k and it's not silver LOL. We are not a fan of silver. So I got fed up and just went on CarMax and found us a nice NBP 07 TL-s with 69k miles on it and in the process of going to take a look at it. The only catch is that the car is 20k (before tax)! I know this is a TL forum and everyone loves it, but does that seem reasonable? I know it's not a comparison, but we can get a brand new 2015 Camry out the door for 21-22k range. That range opens up a lot of options for new/used cars, but I'm still in love with the 3rd gen TL. We are probably going to end up getting it, but just wondering what are your thoughts.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,243 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Not sure if your GF is looking for an MT, but I found this on CL a few weeks back here in MA. Low miles and two sets of tires/rims.
The posting is still active as of today.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-fs-ma-925348/
The following users liked this post:
liltoua (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Yea that was the only other requirement, it has to be an AUTO. I tried teaching her auto in my car, but she has a 60 miles commute to school and she doesn't want to deal with it haha. Also I want to keep the car local in Georgia because I'm not sure how out of state taxes work yet and don't want to deal with traveling just yet. So far I've been really disappointed in the condition of the local TL-S down here. They look great in pictures, but in person, they are in terrible condition.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
The 3G holds its value pretty well. That being said and as much as I like the TL-S, I would opt for the brand spanking new car for your girl.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
I can't believe there is another should I buy this car thread...dude, you can check KBB.com or nada.com for used prices. That being said kbb.com says the fair price for that car is $17,700, top for best 07 TLs ever would be 19,300, so that 20K is too high. You can get a 4G, 2012 for only a few thousand more than that now. Carmax usually prices their cars higher because the inspect and recondition them. Remember tho, that's an 8 year old car.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Everyone knows the 4G are not visually appealing to look at (subjective). She doesn't like the look of the 4G anyways. I'm just simply asking the question because I know CarMax always sells cars at premiums, but if you've read any reviews on them, their car quality are not as great as they advertise.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I love the TL-S but i wouldn't 20K for a used 8 year old car with 69k miles.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by liltoua
Everyone knows the 4G are not visually appealing to look at (subjective). She doesn't like the look of the 4G anyways. I'm just simply asking the question because I know CarMax always sells cars at premiums, but if you've read any reviews on them, their car quality are not as great as they advertise.
That is true...and I agree the 4G is not as good looking. And Carmax does charge more for their cars. A story, a friend bought a car from them, price so high that she could finance the balance for the car after her down payment because it was above wholesale. That being said, the wholesale on that TLs is about $14K +/-. What are you looking for...a good looking possibly less reliable car or a newer more reliable car? You can most likely get a newer more reliable car with less miles than an 07 for similar or less $$$. Have you looked at the Lexus IS 09 or 10 or a BMW 328i in those years. I bought an '11 BMW 335i in December with 48K miles for only $2500 more than that TL. Just saying....
Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 597 Likes on 410 Posts
Kbb puts a 07 TL-S auto at $17k-$20k fair market range. Suggested retail is $19k. These are dealer retail prices. The car holds its value well.

Carmax is pricey but usually because they don't negotiate and give you top dollar for your trade in, so this is where they make their money.

I got mine at Carmax too before I found out they didn't negotiate. I wasn't happy since I felt they were over charging me $1k-$2k, but they gave me almost $2k over value for my trade in so it washed out.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

I'm just curious to see what the prices will look like 4-5 years later. The 3rd gen TL-S is the last of it's kind and the 4th Gen is the last of kind coming in manual.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
That is true...and I agree the 4G is not as good looking. And Carmax does charge more for their cars. A story, a friend bought a car from them, price so high that she could finance the balance for the car after her down payment because it was above wholesale. That being said, the wholesale on that TLs is about $14K +/-. What are you looking for...a good looking possibly less reliable car or a newer more reliable car? You can most likely get a newer more reliable car with less miles than an 07 for similar or less $$$. Have you looked at the Lexus IS 09 or 10 or a BMW 328i in those years. I bought an '11 BMW 335i in December with 48K miles for only $2500 more than that TL. Just saying....
Yea that's why I'm reconsidering everything. The only issue I have with BMW esp the 335i is the issues that come with it. I had a friend that owned one and it was in the shop a total of 11 times in a year for issues. Had another friend that had both turbo's replaced (under warranty though). I'm considering the TL-S because I can pretty much do all the maintenance myself. I'm mechanically inclined so I can do most things by myself and I herd they don't come with to many issues.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Older 335i's have issues. Stay away.
liltoua (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,752 Likes on 6,750 Posts
I'm just curious to see what the prices will look like 4-5 years later.
My magic 8 ball and crystal ball both say "Try again later"..I'll keep you updated once they come back with results.
liltoua (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Drifting

Yea that's why I'm reconsidering everything. The only issue I have with BMW esp the 335i is the issues that come with it. I had a friend that owned one and it was in the shop a total of 11 times in a year for issues. Had another friend that had both turbo's replaced (under warranty though). I'm considering the TL-S because I can pretty much do all the maintenance myself. I'm mechanically inclined so I can do most things by myself and I herd they don't come with to many issues.
Hey, the TLs is a great car, but not for 20K, that's my point. And I agree, the pre 2011 335i did have issues with the turbo and the fuel pump The turbo was changed from 2 single turbos to a single twin scroll turbo. Many fewer issues and they also changed the fuel pump. The 328i didn't have those issues, no turbo and different fuel pump. That's also the reason I mentioned the Lexus IS.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
Older 335i's have issues. Stay away.
2010 and older, those issues were addressed with the upgraded turbo and new fuel pump in 2011. Oh yeah, and mine has a CPO warranty.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Hey, the TLs is a great car, but not for 20K, that's my point. And I agree, the pre 2011 335i did have issues with the turbo and the fuel pump The turbo was changed from 2 single turbos to a single twin scroll turbo. Many fewer issues and they also changed the fuel pump. The 328i didn't have those issues, no turbo and different fuel pump. That's also the reason I mentioned the Lexus IS.
Yea I'll see. Going to go look at the car this week and will make a decision. Trust me if anyone knew me I'm a cheap ass haha. I would never consider paying this much for an 8 year old car, but I'm really fed up with driving all over GA to look at these TL-S that are ranged anywhere from 14-18k that have major cosmetic issues/carfax history with it. I figure the hell with it I'll pay the premium at CarMax if it checks out good. My gf really likes the TL and I don't blame her, but maybe well test drive other cars in the price range.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

2010 and older, those issues were addressed with the upgraded turbo and new fuel pump in 2011. Oh yeah, and mine has a CPO warranty.
Still, this was BMW's test mule for today's turbo models. I'd stay away. The car is also very bare bones inside and out. It's appeal is the power plant, not much else IMO. The TL-S is much nicer inside. Anyone looking for a beemer turbo should consider other options, such as the 2 series. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Ps apparently it's not just engine issues. My friend went through 2 transmissions among other things on his 335i before calling it quits. Seems that the car is great but the reliability is rubbish.

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 02-17-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Still, this was BMW's test mule for today's turbo models. I'd stay away. The car is also very bare bones inside and out. It's appeal is the power plant, not much else IMO. The TL-S is much nicer inside. Anyone looking for a beemer turbo should consider other options, such as the 2 series. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Ps apparently it's not just engine issues. My friend went through 2 transmissions on his 335i before calling it quits.
Yea I have a friend that is a mechanic at BMW...he pretty much told me don't buy one unless you can afford the maintenance. The only way I wold consider getting one is if it's a CPO car.
FamilyGuy (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Too bad you didnt want a silver manual. I had my car at Jim Ellis Audi with 51k on it and it was perfect. 20k is wayyyy to much to pay for a 07 Auto with 69k.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Too bad you didnt want a silver manual. I had my car at Jim Ellis Audi with 51k on it and it was perfect. 20k is wayyyy to much to pay for a 07 Auto with 69k.
We actually saw that and I was really considering it, but the manual thing was to much for her haha. We would have been okay with the silver, but atlanta traffic and manual for a woman doesn't mix well. I wouldn't mind it haha.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
2015 Accord Sport in the cards?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,752 Likes on 6,750 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
2015 Accord Sport in the cards?
friend just got one 26K out the door. may be a little high on your budget spectrum .. but it's brand spanking new.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
friend just got one 26K out the door. may be a little high on your budget spectrum .. but it's brand spanking new.
Yea we were willing to spend more on a brand new car. We looked at the accords as well. I'll let her decide, but I have a say in it as well since I drive her around most of the time LOL.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The only catch is that the car is 20k (before tax)! I know this is a TL forum and everyone loves it, but does that seem reasonable? I know it's not a comparison, but we can get a brand new 2015 Camry out the door for 21-22k range. That range opens up a lot of options for new/used cars, but I'm still in love with the 3rd gen TL. We are probably going to end up getting it, but just wondering what are your thoughts.
Dude, you're comparing a highly desirable, completely loaded, low mileage TL-S, to likely a new base model Camry. Of course there's going to be a price discrepancy.

The funny thing is, the value of the brand new Camry will drop faster than the TL-S, since the TL is already so old. New cars plummet like crazy.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The prices are holding high on some of the 3Gs and the Type-S' because there is demand for them and some people are willing to pay. CarMax is on the high-end usually but they don't sell junk. I could've gotten a 4G TL for another $1500 over what I paid for mine. Why? demand for 4G is nowhere near demand for a 3G. I won't speak to alternative cars...there are just too many for you and your girl to choose from.

Chris
Old 02-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Dude, you're comparing a highly desirable, completely loaded, low mileage TL-S, to likely a new base model Camry. Of course there's going to be a price discrepancy.

The funny thing is, the value of the brand new Camry will drop faster than the TL-S, since the TL is already so old. New cars plummet like crazy.
This is the exact point why I'm having such a hard time. I understand that the TL-S is 8 years old and can still be sold for that amount amazes me, but on the other hand why do I want to pay that much for an old car.

With a brand new car, if you buy the typical consumer car Camry/Accord/etc, the moment I drive off the lot I loose 10%(drastic) of the car's value and then it just goes down hill from there.

I just want to make a decision that is financially appropriate while it still keeps us happy.

TL-S: What we want but not what we want to pay
New car: Pay more sleep better at night b/c it's brand new...will we be 100% happy....maybe?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
We can't make the decision for you. The TL-S is an awesome car BUT the automatics can be a little fickle and may need the pressure switches replaced after a while. But on the other hand new cars lose 60% of their value after 4 years. Whatever course you take, do what makes you both happy. Life is short.
liltoua (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by millafied
We can't make the decision for you. The TL-S is an awesome car BUT the automatics can be a little fickle and may need the pressure switches replaced after a while. But on the other hand new cars lose 60% of their value after 4 years. Whatever course you take, do what makes you both happy. Life is short.
Best advice! Yea, trust me I do not want an automatic. I've driven both an auto and manual and the manual is by far a better car. This is for the lady though so I can only get so much haha. Here's what I daily and she hates sitting in it haha.

What she doesn't know is that if she gets the TL-S...I'll be modding it HAHA.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:26 PM
OsK
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by millafied
The 07-08 TL's, both base and Tyep S, use an RL based four-shaft transmission, which basically makes it able to withstand more torque, and doesn't need pressure switches replaced on the 3rd+4th gear. The 04-06 AT TL's used a three-shaft design, which was more prone to failure.

I'm at 99k on my TL-S and after my engine is fully warm (20-30 minutes or so of driving), I can't even feel my transmission shift. And I've only drained and filled fluid once from 0 miles (although I wasn't the original owner)
Old 02-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Ps apparently it's not just engine issues. My friend went through 2 transmissions among other things on his 335i before calling it quits. Seems that the car is great but the reliability is rubbish.
My 335i has everything that my 08 TL had. Actually everything plus a few minor improvements. I know that the 2010 and older 335i had issues...that's why I got a 2011, one owner, CPO. I obviously bought it from a BMW dealer and have all the service records from the car. Other than maintenance nothing had ever needed fixed on the car. That is also why I recommended a 328i to the OP. The base 335i with leatherette seats etc. is bare bones but that isn't what mine is. The leather seats in my 335i are significantly better than the TL leather, which in my opinion is/was crap. My AT shifts significantly smoother than my TL did. The TL dashboards have a history of cracking, the 04-06 AT sucked. You can find issues with almost every car. Not knowing your friend and how he drove...hell I can break any AT in any car, they are not bulletproof in any car. My original point to the OP was, that TL is way overpriced at Carmax, and I was offering options to him.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:49 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm with you. People seem to think their out of warranty, 7-8 year old glorified accords with 100k are worth gold ingots. The market, both private and retail, seem to be 2-3 grand overpriced. If not that, every car for sale is bronze, black, or silver. This is truly absurd.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
The car is only worth what people are ready to pay for. If nobody was paying for $20K TL-S, then nobody would be selling $20K TL-S...
The following 2 users liked this post by polobunny:
NBP04TL4ME (02-17-2015), robocam (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,243 Likes on 1,030 Posts
^^^ Supply and demand still applies regardless of what the item in question is.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:04 PM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
The car is only worth what people are ready to pay for. If nobody was paying for $20K TL-S, then nobody would be selling $20K TL-S...
Seeing as the cars aren't moving at all at the prices listed I'm going to go with nobody is buying them, the facade of it being "rare" is taken as a sign of a premium in price, problem is the sellers or dealers don't realize you need demand to match the high price.

The same 14 cars have been on cars.com for sale across the country for over a month.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I live in the SF Bay Area in California, and the demand for the 3rd generation TLs is pretty crazy... Any low-ish mileage 3rd generation TL in very good shape will NOT last on the used car lots (or on Craigslist for the matter) for very long.

That said, I paid about $20K out the door (tax, license, etc...) for my 2008 Acura TL with about 80K on the clock. I feel that it was a little on the high side... However, my wife loves the 3rd generation look/feel, and really dislikes the styling of the TLs after the 2008 model year.

I don't know how difficult it is to find a nice 3rd gen TL with reasonable miles in GA...but I can tell you that I got to the point where I saw everything that was out there, and ended up waiting for new listings to go look at... And anytime I hesitated to pull the trigger, the car would sell before I could buy it myself! The market for the 3rd gen cars is just crazy...

I am largely happy with the purchase... That said, I recently started a thread about the fact that my car has some light oil seepage coming from the Oil Pump, which would basically force me into an early timing belt change to fix it...

Not happy about adding another 4 figure repair cost to the total cost of my car... But I guess that you have to expect some of this when you buy a used car, eh?

Last edited by MikeekiM; 02-17-2015 at 03:31 PM.
liltoua (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
This is the exact point why I'm having such a hard time. I understand that the TL-S is 8 years old and can still be sold for that amount amazes me, but on the other hand why do I want to pay that much for an old car.

With a brand new car, if you buy the typical consumer car Camry/Accord/etc, the moment I drive off the lot I loose 10%(drastic) of the car's value and then it just goes down hill from there.

I just want to make a decision that is financially appropriate while it still keeps us happy.

TL-S: What we want but not what we want to pay
New car: Pay more sleep better at night b/c it's brand new...will we be 100% happy....maybe?
Honestly, by the end of the day, you're gonna pay more or less going with ever option. The Camry/accord will lose a shit ton of value in the first few years. The TL-s will not lose nearly as much, but may require some costly servicing to keep it up. Then again, the TL-s will likely still be cheaper. There's no way you'll pay 10k to service the car over the next 4 years. The accord/Camry will drop that much in value though.

A financially appropriate decision would be to buy a slightly used, base model car and drive it until the wheels fall off. But who the hell wants to do that?

Also, who cares how old the car is? Maintenance stuff isn't rocket science, you have AZ at your disposal for any issues, as long as the car isn't beat to shit, it won't really matter. Hey, if you'll be happy with a Camry, go for it. I find it hard to believe though, coming from a guy who drives a track prepped subaru, lol.
liltoua (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by n3o
Seeing as the cars aren't moving at all at the prices listed I'm going to go with nobody is buying them, the facade of it being "rare" is taken as a sign of a premium in price, problem is the sellers or dealers don't realize you need demand to match the high price.

The same 14 cars have been on cars.com for sale across the country for over a month.
Yes, there is only 14 Acura TL-S in the USA right now. None other has been sold in any other fashion. Wanna bet there's a bunch that have been sold for just slightly lower price? Or in better state for the same price?

What's the big deal if there's 14 cars that no one buys? How does it impact you, if someone asks for $20K for an item? Don't like it? Don't buy it! Think they'll drop value and want to wait for that to happen? Do so! It's pretty much how buying and selling used good works, no?

I'm selling my used underwear for $20 a piece on eBay. No one has bought it yet, but it's not stopping me from selling authentic polobunny used underwear for that price.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
That said, I paid about $20K out the door (tax, license, etc...) for my 2008 Acura TL with about 80K on the clock. I feel that it was a little on the high side... However, my wife loves the 3rd generation look/feel, and really dislikes the styling of the TLs after the 2008 model year.
What that recent? I was reading some old threads here on AZ and saw people paying that much like 2-3 years ago which is crazy LOL. Either that car is that awesome or I'm just paying to much lol.

Originally Posted by TacoBello

A financially appropriate decision would be to buy a slightly used, base model car and drive it until the wheels fall off. But who the hell wants to do that?

Also, who cares how old the car is? Maintenance stuff isn't rocket science, you have AZ at your disposal for any issues, as long as the car isn't beat to shit, it won't really matter. Hey, if you'll be happy with a Camry, go for it. I find it hard to believe though, coming from a guy who drives a track prepped subaru, lol.
Yea maintenance is not an issue, this community seems to be well informed on everything and I've already seen some great DIY already. I swapped my subaru with my bare hands so I know a thing or two about turning a wrench . It just makes me sad that the price of the TL-S could get us a brand new car...but like you said...who wants to drive around a camry or accord? She's coming from a 1999 Camry (200k+ miles and still no issues)...so anything right now is a big improvement.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by polobunny
What's the big deal if there's 14 cars that no one buys? How does it impact you, if someone asks for $20K for an item? Don't like it? Don't buy it! Think they'll drop value and want to wait for that to happen? Do so! It's pretty much how buying and selling used good works, no?

I'm selling my used underwear for $20 a piece on eBay. No one has bought it yet, but it's not stopping me from selling authentic polobunny used underwear for that price.

The only issue here is that the only DECENT TL-S I've seen in the SouthEast so far is from a CarMax dealer and you know the deal with them. No haggling and I just don't have the time right now to wait another 2,3,4...who knows how many months for another TL-S to pop up hoping it's in good condition.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased a 2007 TL-S AT for 21k in July from a dealership. Only had ~40k miles on it though and car was in really good condition. I think they had it listed for 23,500 to start, Just to give you a comparison.
liltoua (02-17-2015)

Quick Reply: '07-'08 TL-S Prices