Sponsored by:

04TL- A sheep in a wolf skin

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04TL- A sheep in a wolf skin

Crappy things include but not limited to:

1. the Engine is actually the same as 03 type-s' , still using VTEC whil the lower-end TSX is using i-VTEV.

2. The "Acura" letter engraved on the lower front bumper makes it look like a cheap Pontiac or Saturn.

3. The poorest design of our 2nd Gen TL----Brakes have not been improved for the auto tranny model!

4. Sunroof still doesn't have one-touch function!

5. The "50% more dent-resistant doors" is a joke.

6. Too much computer shiit integrated. like blue-tooth, DVD-audio, satellite radio, why need those while I already have computer and just need a good driving machine?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Pro

Re: 04TL- A sheep in a wolf skin

Originally posted by gainful

1. the Engine is actually the same as 03 type-s' , still using VTEC whil the lower-end TSX is using i-VTEV.

2. The "Acura" letter engraved on the lower front bumper makes it look like a cheap Pontiac or Saturn.

3. The poorest design of our 2nd Gen TL----Brakes have not been improved for the auto tranny model!

6. Too much computer shiit integrated. like blue-tooth, DVD-audio, satellite radio, why need those while I already have computer and just need a good driving machine?
1. The bottom line is more power, I could care less about i-vtec.
2. Most states require front license plates, so it will be covered anyway.
3. Brembos will be available with the A-spec package for automatics.
4. ok.
5. you cant say that unless you have seen the doors urself.
6. i believe you are in the market for the wrong car if u dont want this stuff.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you slow or something? Just get a 2003 TLS if you don't need or like the extras that come with the 2004.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Race Director

Um the Sunroof is One-Touch as mentioned on one of the reviews
Old 09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Re: 04TL- A sheep in a wolf skin

Originally posted by corey415
1. The bottom line is more power, I could care less about i-vtec.
2. Most states require front license plates, so it will be covered anyway.
3. Brembos will be available with the A-spec package for automatics.
4. ok.
5. you cant say that unless you have seen the doors urself.
6. i believe you are in the market for the wrong car if u dont want this stuff.
2. Thats cool, I hope the front license plate is mounted right there, that way you can still "see" that the car comes to a point in the front, which is a problem with the current gen TL, and CL too ... The Acura thing does look a little bit stupid, but I could live with it if it was entirely covered by the license plate.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Ok...

1) The engine is the same, so what? Its even better, has drive by wire throttle, same fuel economy, more torque and IMPROVED ULEV emissions. 270 hp in a sedan is enough for most of us. When are you ever going to really use all that? 99% of the time you can't use it anyway.

2) License plate will cover that.

3) Brakes aren't just about size, its the master cylinder, brake pads etc.

4) I believe this new one is a one touch.

5) They're not a joke, they have much tougher sheet metal, its an often requested feature and will improve resale value.

6) DVD-audio is like the difference between tape and CD's, its that much better, try it out and then make a judgment. Bluetooth, thats subjective, if you don't have any use for it, thats cool. Satellite radio... hmm... minimal ads and great music ANYWHERE for what? 10 bucks a month? That appeals to me. If you can afford a 34,000 dollar car you can afford satellite radio
Old 09-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Race Director

3) Also the new Brake has Electronic Brake Distribution, Not found in the previous gen. and I know EBD makes a diff in performance.

Also Gainful can you explain to me what i-Vtec is? Most people dont even know the difference..
Old 09-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by 2004TL
3) Also the new Brake has Electronic Brake Distribution, Not found in the previous gen. and I know EBD makes a diff in performance.

Also Gainful can you explain to me what i-Vtec is? Most people dont even know the difference..
VTEC is basically 2 different CAM profiles. Simply put, when you hit a certain RPM, the CAM profile changes, which is the "rushing" feel you get on most Hondas when you hit high RPMs. It also allows Honda engines to get a higher output (read: more horsepower) at higher rpms while maintaining decent torque at lower rpms.

i-VTEC is similar to VTEC in that it has different CAM profiles. However, it can have multiple CAM profiles (I believe in the RSX Type S, the engine has 3 different CAM Profiles), and it additionally can adjust the phase of the intake cams.

What this basically means is with VTEC you have a "on/off" type of system .. either you're using the higher profile, or the lower profile. With i-VTEC you can adjust on a much broader scale to more appropriately match your profile to your rpms ... So you have an overall better profile for a wide range of rpms versus just an "on/off" type of system.

It does make a difference, although I believe that i-VTEC needs a DOHC engine to work.. I still haven't figured out if the '04 TL is a SOHC or DOHC engine. If it is in fact just like the '03 TL-S engine with some minor tweaks to get more horsepower, then it would most likely be SOHC.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

'04 TL is a SOHC. i-VTEC is more useful on a smaller displacement car (4 cylinders with DOHC) than larger engines. Larger engines, especially the J series V6's have flat torque curves. i-VTEC would have been a nice addition to the NSX for '02, oh well.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Just to let you know, the '04 TL has a one touch moonroof, with anti-pinch, revised shade (to reduce rattling), a more flush seal to reduce windnoise even further AND the moonroof controls are overhead.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Go here to get all of your info on the tl
http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/acura...h+currentacura
Old 09-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I like the fact that the current TL moonroof controls are not overhead. Its a pain to reach up to do that.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by doopstr
I like the fact that the current TL moonroof controls are not overhead. Its a pain to reach up to do that.
They put controls on roof because so many dealers asked for it.. I have no clue why, but the people wanted it and they got it..

I always liked the controls being by the steering wheel, Honda was well known for it, but I dont get why they changed it..
Old 09-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

The reasoning for the moonroof controls on the dash were because of kids. Since most TL owners are older or don't take their kids/kids are in the back seat, Acura switched the moonroof controls and put them on the roof like the RL.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

It is soooo much better on the roof! One touch open, too!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by 2004TL
I always liked the controls being by the steering wheel, Honda was well known for it, but I dont get why they changed it..
Huh? The controls are tough to reach behind the steering wheel. I'm glad they're on the roof now. One more advantage to upgrading, IMO.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

For a normal listener...DVD audio presents no audible upgrades. Also, they cannot be made with mp3's (I'm guessing - if they could then it wouldnt be a true AC3 track). It's sounds like something that Honda can say that they had the first car with it.

I believe it goes the same with bluetooth. It's a nice feature - if you have the equipment. I'm taking a guess - not many phones in the US come with bluetooth. Much bigger in Europe and Japan - cell phone heavens. Now - if you can extract a large amount of data from the Navigation system onto, oh lets say a PDA, then maybe.

Thats is the way I see it - a lot of buyers wont be wowed by the effects that a DVD Audio disk presents (which also means that they'd have to start a new DVD-Audio collection). I also think that satallite radio should be pushed for an mp3 player.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:06 PM
7th Gear

Originally posted by Ken1997TL
The reasoning for the moonroof controls on the dash were because of kids. Since most TL owners are older or don't take their kids/kids are in the back seat, Acura switched the moonroof controls and put them on the roof like the RL.
I for one like them on the roof for one reason, the passenger can open the sunroof if they wish. No more bothering the driver.

Onew touch is a must have, great feature.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

what are u, an idiot?
Old 09-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by lovemyTL
......a lot of buyers wont be wowed by the effects that a DVD Audio disk presents (which also means that they'd have to start a new DVD-Audio collection).
As someone who's had a DVD-Audio player for about two years now, the selection of titles are severely lacking. Other than the demo disc that came with the player, I've bought only one CD. Among the titles that are available today, a majority of them are in the classical genre. So even if they like the quality of sound, they're not going to find a lot to choose from. Plus, given the fact that DVD-A discs cost significantly more than the normal CD's, I don't think that it's going to catch on very quick.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Master-G
As someone who's had a DVD-Audio player for about two years now, the selection of titles are severely lacking. Other than the demo disc that came with the player, I've bought only one CD. Among the titles that are available today, a majority of them are in the classical genre. So even if they like the quality of sound, they're not going to find a lot to choose from. Plus, given the fact that DVD-A discs cost significantly more than the normal CD's, I don't think that it's going to catch on very quick.
one DVD-A in two plus years of ownership here, too.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Ken1997TL
Well, I do not think this makes sense as all my Hondas also had the switch here. Personally I like it on the dash. But all the car writers thought it should have been on the ceiling.