What is Acura doing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
What is Acura doing?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qFfIfsU9Yu...une%2B2015.jpg

Take a look at this graph of Small & Midsize Luxury Car Sales(Canadian) in June, 2015. The Lexus IS and Acura TLX are near the top. With the RLX, rounding off the bottom. US sales don't look better either. Sales are down over 50% for the RLX, and it been on sale for less than 3 years!

Someone's gotta ask the question, why is Acura clowning around? Here's my two cents. First off, the RLX has been on the market since March, 2013, and since then has represented several failures. Not only may this be the worst marketed luxury car, it is also perhaps one of the flagships that doesn't define its brand as well as I think it should. I will elaborate on this fact. Additionally, the RLX has been very problematic, with many initial quality control issues. Not to mention, Acura is charging 65k in the US, and 70k in Canada. Then again, I am considering picking up one.

Withholding of features
I hate the fact that Acura does withhold features to other Honda Legend Markets, but decides not to bring them to North America. If you are charging 70k for a car, withholding features is ridiculous. Other market Legends get Soft-close 4 doors, Honda Legend LED logo project on all 4 doors, a rear seat entertainment control console, Orange leather interior, and a nice wood option. Forget the fact that Acura isn't including real wood like the CDN MDX, they aren't including features, MADE FOR THE SAME CAR!

Lack of Acura Passion
In the last 5 years or so. Acura has stood for a lot, weather its radical and polarizing design, like in the ZDX and 4G TL which some loved, and others not so much. I fell on the love spectrum of Acura designs. And the performance and new-felt design of the NSX. The real pinnacle of Acura innovation. Now I understand Acura is targeting an older, more restrained customer with the RLX; but that customer is affluent. I hate how their isn't a sense of sizzle in the RLX design, its rather boring, the sheet metal isn't bent far enough, and the aggression that was in previous Acuras and the new NSX, simply isn't present in the RLX. 90% of reviews comment on Acuras bland styling, Acura, its time to give the Americans a chance to play with the design of the RLX, for the 2017 MMC. Let the Japanese handle the rest. The ZDX has a beautiful design and panoramic sunroof, these attributes didn't make it to the RLX. And if this is Acuras flagship I wouldn't mind all the amenities that a Hyundai Eqqus has for the same price. No Massage seats, reclining rear seats, no rear seat entertainment system?? This is luxury sedan, yet is doesn't even have a power extending thigh cusion, that's on a Toyota Avalon cost ten thousands less!! If Acura wants to go head to head with BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, where's the butterfly headrests, or full leather dash. Or now, Acura has downgraded the door panel material from the soft perforated leather in my car, to a harder non-perforated leather in the RLX. Despite these short comings, Acura still charges 65+k!!!!

P-AWS, no SH-AWD
Now I understand rising gas prices has Acura worried about fuel economy for their next flagship. But P-AWS is not the answer, while yes it gets very good fuel economy. After driving a P-AWS, the suspension is jarring, another way to say worst in class. The power is only adequate. And it doesn't handle nearly as well as my SH-AWD, which is the system P-AWS replaced in the outgoing RL, of course, ACURA IS CHARGING MORE!!! P-AWS doesn't drive the way a 50k car should. But the Sport Hybrid is a whole 'nother animal, but that's a story for another thread. Come on, SH-AWD should be standard, with Sport Hybrid as an option.

This is not the Acura flagship, the NSX truly is. But Acura needs to get their act together for the 2017 MMC. If not, RLX sales will go to even more shit. Maybe I've been too hard on the RLX, then again I am considering buying a 2015 SH, up here in Canada, the discounts better be really good! But I know their is more good to the RLX, than bad, but this forum is about constructive feedback to Acura. Not that the RLX is a really good machine, it just needs to some work to further emphasize the fact.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX3G
This is not the Acura flagship, the NSX truly is.
well no shit. The NSX is a $150k+ car...
Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Well, the NSX is a halo car meant to bring attention to the brand.
Acura's actual flagship vehicle is the MDX, not the RLX. Or at least you'd not be mistaken for thinking so.

With the change in leadership at Acura, we will know the plans for the RLX sooner than later. Will it be better content or discontinuance? We'll find out....

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my still rare Legend Sport Hybrid.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
See this for some insight into at least one part of one part...:
Acura Works to Enhance Customer Experience | Dealers content from WardsAuto
Old 07-31-2015, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LoneRonin
well no shit. The NSX is a $150k+ car...
We Hear: Styling for Honda's Baby NSX is Complete, Could Debut in L.A.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my still rare Legend Sport Hybrid.
So are we allowed yet to call it the 5G Legend that it is?
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (08-01-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Just how do you think the RLX PAWS should drive? I don't see anything wrong with the ride either. Maybe the 2013-2015's had some issues but the 2016 is just fine IMO. Now if your one of those divers who like to weave in and out of lanes at 60MPH in a 35 zone maybe there is something missing. Just say'n
pgeorg (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TBC787
Just how do you think the RLX PAWS should drive? I don't see anything wrong with the ride either. Maybe the 2013-2015's had some issues but the 2016 is just fine IMO. Now if your one of those divers who like to weave in and out of lanes at 60MPH in a 35 zone maybe there is something missing. Just say'n
I had a 2014 RLX Advance (P-AWS) before my current car and to be honest, I thought it was fine, and a great car for the money.

There are certainly some reliable people here who had a lot of problems, but I thought mine was a good compromise between ride quality and the tendency for all Honda owners of all ages to expect a little enthusiasm from their cars.

:-)
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
miner (08-07-2015), pgeorg (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Grandpa

This is the current KIA flagship, the K900. With the VIP Package, it is the same price as an RLX Sport Hybrid Advance.

This could help with our perspectives, I think. It's RWD only, but still generally regarded as a high quality vehicle that is also an extraordinary buy with a hell of a lot of technology.

If you look at Acura v. this KIA, maybe that helps us get our perspectives back, eh?

:-)

A lot of people could go either way, K900 vs. Acura. Nothing wrong with either choice, if you ask me. It's personal.

If you're looking at the RLX Advance (P-AWS) car and comparing it to things like the K900, suddenly the Acura looks like a much better buy for about $6500.00 less than the KIA.

And better mpg to boot.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
But, but, but, RWD and V8! And no one pays MSRP for a Kia!

Just predicting and anticipating the argument.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Instructor

This is where / how they see the competition

http://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/med...nfographic.jpg
Old 08-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qFfIfsU9Yu...une%2B2015.jpg

Take a look at this graph of Small & Midsize Luxury Car Sales(Canadian) in June, 2015. The Lexus IS and Acura TLX are near the top. With the RLX, rounding off the bottom. US sales don't look better either. Sales are down over 50% for the RLX, and it been on sale for less than 3 years!

Someone's gotta ask the question, why is Acura clowning around? Here's my two cents. First off, the RLX has been on the market since March, 2013, and since then has represented several failures. Not only may this be the worst marketed luxury car, it is also perhaps one of the flagships that doesn't define its brand as well as I think it should. I will elaborate on this fact. Additionally, the RLX has been very problematic, with many initial quality control issues. Not to mention, Acura is charging 65k in the US, and 70k in Canada. Then again, I am considering picking up one.

Withholding of features
I hate the fact that Acura does withhold features to other Honda Legend Markets, but decides not to bring them to North America. If you are charging 70k for a car, withholding features is ridiculous. Other market Legends get Soft-close 4 doors, Honda Legend LED logo project on all 4 doors, a rear seat entertainment control console, Orange leather interior, and a nice wood option. Forget the fact that Acura isn't including real wood like the CDN MDX, they aren't including features, MADE FOR THE SAME CAR!

Lack of Acura Passion
In the last 5 years or so. Acura has stood for a lot, weather its radical and polarizing design, like in the ZDX and 4G TL which some loved, and others not so much. I fell on the love spectrum of Acura designs. And the performance and new-felt design of the NSX. The real pinnacle of Acura innovation. Now I understand Acura is targeting an older, more restrained customer with the RLX; but that customer is affluent. I hate how their isn't a sense of sizzle in the RLX design, its rather boring, the sheet metal isn't bent far enough, and the aggression that was in previous Acuras and the new NSX, simply isn't present in the RLX. 90% of reviews comment on Acuras bland styling, Acura, its time to give the Americans a chance to play with the design of the RLX, for the 2017 MMC. Let the Japanese handle the rest. The ZDX has a beautiful design and panoramic sunroof, these attributes didn't make it to the RLX. And if this is Acuras flagship I wouldn't mind all the amenities that a Hyundai Eqqus has for the same price. No Massage seats, reclining rear seats, no rear seat entertainment system?? This is luxury sedan, yet is doesn't even have a power extending thigh cusion, that's on a Toyota Avalon cost ten thousands less!! If Acura wants to go head to head with BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, where's the butterfly headrests, or full leather dash. Or now, Acura has downgraded the door panel material from the soft perforated leather in my car, to a harder non-perforated leather in the RLX. Despite these short comings, Acura still charges 65+k!!!!

P-AWS, no SH-AWD
Now I understand rising gas prices has Acura worried about fuel economy for their next flagship. But P-AWS is not the answer, while yes it gets very good fuel economy. After driving a P-AWS, the suspension is jarring, another way to say worst in class. The power is only adequate. And it doesn't handle nearly as well as my SH-AWD, which is the system P-AWS replaced in the outgoing RL, of course, ACURA IS CHARGING MORE!!! P-AWS doesn't drive the way a 50k car should. But the Sport Hybrid is a whole 'nother animal, but that's a story for another thread. Come on, SH-AWD should be standard, with Sport Hybrid as an option.

This is not the Acura flagship, the NSX truly is. But Acura needs to get their act together for the 2017 MMC. If not, RLX sales will go to even more shit. Maybe I've been too hard on the RLX, then again I am considering buying a 2015 SH, up here in Canada, the discounts better be really good! But I know their is more good to the RLX, than bad, but this forum is about constructive feedback to Acura. Not that the RLX is a really good machine, it just needs to some work to further emphasize the fact.
TerryRL...is that you?
RLX3G (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
TerryRL...is that you?
Did I make it too obvious? Today's been full of bad weather, work that I've been behind on, but seldom do you MisterZDX fail to make me laugh my socks off!

Keep it quiet.
MisterZDX (08-03-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
TerryRL...is that you?
Did you ever consider majoring in Media Communications, you'd be a good copywriter & maybe a good detective, for AZ?

Last edited by RLX3G; 08-02-2015 at 04:50 PM.
MisterZDX (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Did you ever consider majoring in Media Communications, you'd be a good copywriter & maybe a good detective, for AZ?
Lol. I'll keep that mind, but my hands are more than tied being a middle school Math teacher
Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
I closed your TERRY A KHAN account.

I could have changed that user name to RLX3G if you had asked.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron A
I closed your TERRY A KHAN account.

I could have changed that user name to RLX3G if you had asked.
Never seen a forum be so serious about user accounts. Can you close this RLX3G account, and reopen the TERRY A KHAN account, please.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Never seen a forum be so serious about user accounts. Can you close this RLX3G account, and reopen the TERRY A KHAN account, please.
Done. I hope there are no more registration attempts, which will result in a permanent ban for all.
oo7spy (08-07-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to offer my couple of cents.

The 2nd Gen RL's are really good looking cars (2005-2008). Beginning in 2009 through the current gen though, not so much IMO. It's looks like a bunch of engineers and marketing duds made the styling decisions on it (not artist's designers). GM/Ford/Chrysler suffered the same fate for many years. Cars are more than just marketing bullet points, and performance stats. Design by focus group and bean counters is NOT the way to design a car.

If you don't have a visual design that inspires people both inside and out, then you have nothing. They need to hire designers with Foose, Kindig or Pininfarina's artistic talent and feel/love for automobiles to design their cars. Hell, they need to take some heavy cues from some of their own country's excellent wood craftsman, whose understated, organic designs and elegance are timeless.

In short, Honda/Acura has marvelous engineers but they don't (or have lost focus of) why people love and BUY cars. If you want good looking cars, engineering must follow design. Not the other way around.
sooththetruth (11-09-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Acura ( esp. the TLX ) really got hammered on the latest Consumer Report podcast about reliability. Special mention of dual clutch and CVT transmission problems .Honda/Acura reliability has sunk to a new low.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
The 1st Generation RL's were bullet proof esp the 2003-2004 model.....LEGEND Technology built to LAST and keep their resale value...

Originally Posted by HokieJoe
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to offer my couple of cents.

The 2nd Gen RL's are really good looking cars (2005-2008). Beginning in 2009 through the current gen though, not so much IMO. It's looks like a bunch of engineers and marketing duds made the styling decisions on it (not artist's designers). GM/Ford/Chrysler suffered the same fate for many years. Cars are more than just marketing bullet points, and performance stats. Design by focus group and bean counters is NOT the way to design a car.

If you don't have a visual design that inspires people both inside and out, then you have nothing. They need to hire designers with Foose, Kindig or Pininfarina's artistic talent and feel/love for automobiles to design their cars. Hell, they need to take some heavy cues from some of their own country's excellent wood craftsman, whose understated, organic designs and elegance are timeless.

In short, Honda/Acura has marvelous engineers but they don't (or have lost focus of) why people love and BUY cars. If you want good looking cars, engineering must follow design. Not the other way around.
Attached Thumbnails What is Acura doing?-2004rl2015.5.jpg