Steering feel and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:23 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering feel and feedback

Hello,

I hope You guys can answer my question. I keep reading in US magazines that modern Acuras do have a too light, numb, disconnected steering feel without sufficient feedback. I do read the same in EU magazines about Hondas which are usually identical to some Acuras.

Well, I drive a Civic Type R (FN2) with electrohydraulic steering, which was reviewed by the journos as a numb steering without enough steering feel, but in reality it is very good.

Through the steering rim I can feel the surface change of the road, the surface of the road signs - if I pay particular attention of course - , the steering moves in my hand on rougher surfaces and - most importantly - in a faster bend I can feel the front tyres loading whic gives confidence. This is steering feel for me.

Now on this basis, what do you think a RLX or a TL SH-AWD steering is like? I would really appreciate your opinions.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I have owned both cars, and the RLX is better than the TL SH-AWD.

The RLX steering is definitely better, both in its progressiveness and its subjective feel.

In addition to that, the TL SH-AWD felt sometimes like a track car with an aggressive alignment. It was for some people a little too quick to dart off in a new direction, and the RLX steering also eliminates that issue. (At least, it was an issue for some people. I kind of liked it.)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:32 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. I myself like a fast ratio, my CTR has something faster than 2.5 from lock to lock. It's EPS, but has a decent, tactile feel, especially when the front wheels are loaded up.

Journos complain all the time about Honda steering, but from what I feel, I like it.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
RLX Advanced #3606

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
I personnely feel the RLX is precise in its steering control, especially concidering the electric steering when were going thru the twisties I have never felt that I was not in control, in regards to over/understeering.
Hope that makes sense, as to me it's more a feeling than anything else..
Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by victorber
... when were going thru the twisties I have never felt that I was not in control, in regards to over/understeering.
That's exactly what they were trying to get you to feel like. :-)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I drove an RLX loaner today, and I was quite astonished how the steering wheel twitches from time to time when the car is stopped. Just touch the wheel lightly and the system reacts by slightly moving the steering wheel. I think both the TL Sh-awd steering and the RLX feel very artificial compared to my old Saab, but I've gotten used to the TL, so the RLX didn't feel too bad. There is some feedback, it is just masked a bit.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Eurogreg
Hello,

I hope You guys can answer my question. I keep reading in US magazines that modern Acuras do have a too light, numb, disconnected steering feel without sufficient feedback. I do read the same in EU magazines about Hondas which are usually identical to some Acuras.

Well, I drive a Civic Type R (FN2) with electrohydraulic steering, which was reviewed by the journos as a numb steering without enough steering feel, but in reality it is very good.

Through the steering rim I can feel the surface change of the road, the surface of the road signs - if I pay particular attention of course - , the steering moves in my hand on rougher surfaces and - most importantly - in a faster bend I can feel the front tyres loading whic gives confidence. This is steering feel for me.

Now on this basis, what do you think a RLX or a TL SH-AWD steering is like? I would really appreciate your opinions.
I have not driven a RLX yet.

I have a TL 6MT, and IMHO the steering has very little feel and is numb, kind of like turning a steering wheel at the arcades. I feel very little road sensations via the steering wheel, and it's much too light, though very precise.

The only times IMHO the steering has any decent feel and heft is at WOT.

The hydraulic steering in my old 1G TSX was nice weighted. The 1G RDX that I've driven a few times has good steering feel as well. Hydraulic steering trumps EPS in terms of feedback, feel, and weight. IMHO.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by docboy
I have a TL 6MT, and IMHO the steering has very little feel and is numb, kind of like turning a steering wheel at the arcades.
That is the feeling they were trying to fix on the RLX, and it's also better on the TLX.