RLX / TLX Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
but the suspension on he RLX gets a 3 out of 10 rating.
WOW! That's bad. Seems like Acura really did screw up the RLX.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
The thing is that the Sports Hybrid does have a smooth luxury ride. Because of the electric motors and torque vectoring it also has a great deal of power and terrific handling. For my money it is the best of both worlds -- smooth, comfortable cruiser that can feel like a big, powerful sports car if you put your foot down. Hard to describe the ride any better without actually sitting behind the wheel.
I hope this is true.

I test drove the regular RLX when it first came out. I asked myself why I would spend this much money to have this unsettled and jittering ride. I immediately thought of how much better the GS or the 5 series ride.

Someone said it right. They should have released the Sport Hybrid first, then the regular FWD to boast sales. I understand there must have been reasons why that didn't happen but I believe the delay has hurt Acura very much.

I would love to drive the Sport Hybrid soon though.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^
If you test drive the Sport Hybrid bring money, as you will be sorely tempted to pull the trigger. That's the way it happened for each of the owners here so far.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^
If you test drive the Sport Hybrid bring money, as you will be sorely tempted to pull the trigger. That's the way it happened for each of the owners here so far.
This is so true. If you have driven or owned Acura's in the past then you know that Acuras represent what I think of as the Goldilocks driving style......not too cushy (I think of the Toyota/Lexus ride) or too stiff and harsh (think BMW) but "just right". The RLX Sports Hybrid is that on steroids. It is a smooth, quiet ride yet powerful and handles like a large sports car. After a 45 minute test drive I knew I had found my next car. I had to spend the next two weeks negotiating with several dealers who had the RLX hybrid in their showrooms but it was only a question of when not if I would purchase the car. I bet if Acura gives prospective buyers (who can afford a car in this price range) an opportunity to drive this car for a decent test drive (one that includes some freeway and some winding roads) that an overwhelming majority will defineately want to purchase the car.

I think Acura WILL realize that they have a real winner with the RLX hybrid and put the next years model into production sooner than later. The 2014s are not perfect and need some polishing, particularly the infotainment stuff but the driving dynamics they really nailed. I think there is a much larger market than 250 cars/yr. for the Sports Hybrid.

If they can fix the non-hybrid RLX they can get the brand back to where it deserves to be. This is going to be a big job because there is a lot wrong with the existing RLX (think a mechanical AWD) and they now have the additional challenge of overcoming a negative image. Still the Sports Hybrid gives me hope Acura can do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
hondamore (12-03-2014), Zoommer (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
^^^
Yep...I have been asking myself why I spent this kind of money when you can get BMW, AUDI, Merc, Lexus, Infiniti, and used Porsche, Maserati....etc

I have to say that I wanted a car with a firm ride and not a cushy ride; that can be tossed around (firm requirement); with great reliability (after 4 yrs of ownership); all of the security nannies (without having to check ALL of the option boxes) that can be turned off; instant torque; a size that will allow 6'3" to be comfortable (that is not me); AND something better that the 19/22 on my prior car, and in a AWD...down to Audi A6TDI Prestige and maybe a BMW. Or compromise on one or more of the requirements and even consider a Subie H6; or the 450h.

Then this comes around and once I drove it then it was time to negotiate....and time will tell if it lives up to MY expectations and so far it is fun....
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Racer

This is not helpful to Acura after the first several delay...both for TLX and RLX SH AWD. Not related to the RLX but still brings into question QA and QC...

Acura halts sales of TLX sedans with V6 engine

Consumer Reports
Jim Travers 2 hrs ago

© Provided by Consumer Reports
Acura has issued a stop-sale order to its dealers and notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of a potential safety defect with new Acura TLX sedans equipped with a V6 engine and nine-speed automatic transmission.

The problem is that transmission components in the TLX might have been damaged during manufacture, according to a technical service bulletin issued by Acura. As a result, the shift indicator could indicate that the transmission is in park when it is not, which could allow the vehicle to roll away.

An representative from the automaker confirmed the stop-sale order for the Acura TLX and stated that NHTSA has been informed of the problem. He had no further comment other than indicating that a more complete statement will be forthcoming pending NHTSA’s review of the situation. Issuing a stop-sale order and notifying NHTSA are typically the first steps an automaker takes in initiating a recall. (Learn what to do if your car gets recalled.)
The stop-sale order comes just months after Acura TLX models equipped with the new nine-speed transmission went on sale. Four-cylinder versions use a different transmission and are not included in the stop-sale order.

In our test of a TLX V6, we found the push-button shifter to be awkward to use, but we didn’t experience any other problems.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
For me, they lose all credibility when they say that the push-button shifter is "awkward to use". It is DIFFERENT and would take a bit of time to become as "automatic" as the gear lever we are used to, but I fail to see how pushing a button can be labeled as being awkward by anyone who is unbiased toward the car. This is a classic example of reviewers spending 10 minutes in a car and then writing a review. (apologies for the rant)

That said, this issue is yet another reason to be leery of buying first-year models especially those with COOL AND UNIQUE NEW FEATURES.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hondamore
For me, they lose all credibility when they say that the push-button shifter is "awkward to use". It is DIFFERENT and would take a bit of time to become as "automatic" as the gear lever we are used to, but I fail to see how pushing a button can be labeled as being awkward by anyone who is unbiased toward the car. This is a classic example of reviewers spending 10 minutes in a car and then writing a review. (apologies for the rant)

That said, this issue is yet another reason to be leery of buying first-year models especially those with COOL AND UNIQUE NEW FEATURES.
Just my 2 cents......I agree with hondamore. My first experience with the push button shifter was that I was always looking down to make sure I pushed the correct button, since it was quite a different experience than the traditional shifter we are all used to. However, after driving the car for less than two months, I found the push buttons to be very intuitive. I think a lot of thought and work went into the design of the different shapes and way to use them......reverse requires you to pull a lever up, the parking brake to push down to set and pull up to release while park, drive, neutral, as well as Sports mode and parking hold require a simple button push. Most buttons have a different shape and/or feel [sports mode has a dimpled surface, drive is round, park is a large button while sports mode and parking hold are smaller etc.].

Anyway, after only a few weeks I was as comfortable with the push button shifter as the traditional one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malibu Flyer:
fsmith (12-09-2014), hondamore (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The 9 ZF issue is going to be easy to solve, and blame on ZF. :-) They just giving them new, later transmissions that they're sure were put together right.

But it's still scary, especially when on top of that you have people complaining about the 8 DCT shifting too hard, or mysteriously just clunking into neutral while underway.

The 8 DCT turns out is only early cars and can be fixed with a software upgrade.

But in combination with the 9 ZF issue, it kind of makes you wonder when your own 7 DCT is going to start acting up.

0_0
Old 12-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Racer

Just my 2 cents......I agree with hondamore.

Anyway, after only a few weeks I was as comfortable with the push button shifter as the traditional one.

Totally agree
Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I'll pitch in with Holographique on the suspension. If the RLX had a true luxury car suspension I think it would appeal to a lot more lux buyers and sales would be better. But let a Mercedes or Audi shopper drive the car and they get out frowning and saying, "This car rides too rough!"

It's okay on a smooth road, but when you hit a bump it shows its ass. (Can I say that? :wink

Yes, I know Acura has the "sporty car" ethos going, but they need to tailor that to the model. The RLX ain't for corner-carvers and off-ramp pushers, and it shouldn't have a TL suspension. The ideal solution is probably a selectable suspension, where you can push a button to get a smooth ride for everyday or a stiffer one for the twisties.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^I agree and hopefully an adjustable suspension is part of any 2016 changes. It would be as simple as having a "softer" setting for normal driving and a stiffer setting for Sport Mode driving.
My wife's MDX has the "adjustable shocks" and they did have a recall related to that feature where they had to replace the dampers. It could be that Acura is a bit gun shy about putting them (or similar technology) on the RLX???
Old 12-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
I don't get why Acura would be concerned about putting in adjustable shocks for the RLX. That'd really help the suspension complaints here. Acura/Honda usually gets suspensions right. I wonder how they screwed up on the RLX PAWS?

Last edited by neuronbob; 12-09-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I wonder how they screwed up on the RLX PAWS?
I really believe the RLX suspension was designed for the SH RLX. The additional weight and better weight distribution of the SH seems to address the issues. I drove a PAWS and the SH in the same day last March and they were different cars.

I think the PAWs RLX was a quick stop gap measure to get the car to market faster as the SH was still in testing.

I have been told the RLX was never expected to be a volume car. There is a part of me that believes PAWs was intended for the TLX and down. Further I wonder if the RLX was only intended to be in SH form (as will be the LEGEND).
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
It would be nice for more transparency. Also, why was the RLX SH-AWD delayed?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by flagship
Also, why was the RLX SH-AWD delayed?
Yes, the $1,000,000 question! It is said that it was to fix the obviously complex software, which is entirely believable. But who really knows?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by flagship
It would be nice for more transparency. Also, why was the RLX SH-AWD delayed?
There is no upside for more transparency on their part, only criticism. Early on, one of the suggested reasons for the delay in the hybrid RLX was that they intended it to launch within 6 months of the NSX. This would create the necessary 'halo' over the car, and keep others from copying the tech that was (2 years ago) pretty groundbreaking (still is, but others are closer now).
Originally Posted by hondamore
My wife's MDX has the "adjustable shocks" and they did have a recall related to that feature where they had to replace the dampers. It could be that Acura is a bit gun shy about putting them (or similar technology) on the RLX???
I see no indication that they're thinking of going back to rheological dampeners. They probably have to license it from Delco and you know that hate that.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
There is no upside for more transparency on their part, only criticism.
I see it differently....

When you mess something up, you are going to get criticized no matter what.

When you are transparent about it, you at least gain the benefit of:

a) showing you care enough about your brand and image in the eyes of your existing customers, regardless of what others may think or regardless of what criticism you get. They at least show they care.

b) showing you care enough to want to maintain trust and confidence in your existing customers by being straight and open with them.

By not being transparent, all you end up with is criticism and nothing else.
acuranj18 (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ Clearly we'll disagree on this. But I feel just as strongly the opposite. BUT I don't speak for Acura so we'll have to guess if this is really what they're thinking.

From my point of view, I've been around these for a really long time, I remember when Honda/Acura were incredibly secretive. They never shared ANYTHING about their future plans. IMO, this gave rise to the 'old' rumor sites like Temple of VTEC in the early '00s.

In the late '00s Acura started embracing the internet and social media and sharing what they were planning. When the economy forced a change in plans (which is Honda's prerogative since it's their company), the internet lost it's ever-lovin' mind. A backlash we still see today. Thus, from my POV, I think Acura is correct to clamp up and release things when they're ready. Press releases to tell you why its late are unnecessary because the development process is not for public consumption.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

The internet will always loose it's ever-lovin mind. It's the same insane mass public that has ALWAYS existed, just easier to hear and read what they are all thinking thanks to instant communication mechanisms like FB, Twitter, Forums, etc etc...

Transparency is huge in today's world of social media and instant communication from the consumer to the manufacturer and vice-versa. There have been plenty of examples in the past 5 or so years where companies come out stronger than ever when they fess up and explain why and how mistakes happened. I'm not talking about giving away release dates, unreleased product details, etc. I'm talking about when you F something up and you miss expectations you set previously through your marketing engine.

There is an elegance to marketing and communication, and it's that elegance that Acura could be better at.
MisterZDX (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Colin
There is no upside for more transparency on their part....
I don't agree 100% with anybody, but with that particular comment, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Public communications are dominated by partisans who are largely ignorant, and might not even own or have the resources to own the product they're trying to destroy.

Public media are also just about the grandest waste of executive temporal resources that I've ever experienced. I've resisted Instagram because, having lived through Facebook and Twitter, I just don't have time for that.

You just waste ½ your life talking to people who have not been vetted by any system to give their voices legitimacy.

You might as well go into politics.
fsmith (12-12-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Germans has been RWD, V8s ever, and Acura FWD , V6s ever. People were happy with
his V6s fwd Legends even the press concede that Acura dont need V8s since his
engines were so smooth and powerful. The perfect world for Acura was over when Hyundai
introduce his line of RWD V6s, V8s.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CARLOS10
Germans has been RWD, V8s ever, and Acura FWD , V6s ever. People were happy with
his V6s fwd Legends even the press concede that Acura dont need V8s since his
engines were so smooth and powerful. The perfect world for Acura was over when Hyundai
introduce his line of RWD V6s, V8s.
Agreed. And the overhead for the Korean built vehicles is so much lower than Japanese products that Acura's challenge is not just innovation, but extreme economically efficient innovation.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sooththetruth
Agreed. And the overhead for the Korean built vehicles is so much lower than Japanese products that Acura's challenge is not just innovation, but extreme economically efficient innovation.
It seem like built a V8 RWD for Honda isnt challenging enough , i will concede
to Honda, after all V8 RWD cars has been available in the market since the
first car were built. If Honda built such car the press reaction will be - WHATS UP WITH HONDA , A RWD V8 CAR ?? THATS HIS MODERN INTERPRETATION OF
21 CENTURY VEHICLE ???. A 1930 SETUP ??.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 AM
Grandpa

Driving a TLX for the first time in a long time.

Dealer loaner car, TLX V6 P-AWS Advance.

After being in the RLX SH for so long, I think I forgot how good I had it.

There's nothing really wrong...it's just not the RLX.
acuranj18 (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
George,
I feel the infotainment display in the TLX is better than what is in the RLX "non-h".
Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Grandpa

George,
I feel the infotainment display in the TLX is better than what is in the RLX "non-h".
I'm not sure it's visually better, but it seems slightly snappier.

And I'm jealous of the ability to move the audio source icons around.

:-)

Turn-in is quite crisp, and I'd like to say, again, that P-AWS works.

And as always there's that one gear shift that's almost jarring.

They want my car another day, so I've still got the TLX.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

There are times I do prefer driving Maria's TLX over the RLX. To me, it seems to be peppier in the Sport + mode vs the RLX sport mode. Yes, the 1-2 gear shift can be jarring at times. I do like the ability to see the artist and song on the audio display without having to hit the audio button and look at teh upper screen. Plus, the auto seat heaters are something that should be on the RLX.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Grandpa

Plus, the auto seat heaters are something that should be on the RLX.
Pardon my ignorance, but in what way are they automatic?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton

They want my car another day, so I've still got the TLX.

Hmmm....more work or harder to finish work. Maybe they are having fun driving it around (just kidding). BTW I love the Acuralink app as I can tell where my car is on the map and if it has moved.

When I had it in for some accessories I could tell the hood was open. Pretty cool (or creepy if you are that type of person)...
Old 01-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Pardon my ignorance, but in what way are they automatic?
The front seats auto heat and auto cool depending on the outside temp - meaning they come on without any input from driver or passenger.

Last edited by miner; 01-06-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 01-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

The front seats auto heat and auto cool depending on the outside temp - meaning they come on without any input from driver or passenger.
I sure could have used auto warm seats the last two days, with temps in the teens.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Racer

Neat=I think this might get into battery use and drain issues.

I can see how you can make sure that once the seat reach a certain temperature you can keep cycling on/off to prevent battery drain. I suspect this will require the engine to be on OR to turn on remotely.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zoommer
BTW I love the Acuralink app as I can tell where my car is on the map and if it has moved.
Hmmm. Did you happen to test this while being away from the car (at least several miles away)? Last I could tell, the map only tells you where "you" are located based on the GPS location of your iPhone. It does not track the location of the actual vehicle independent of the phone/app.

It's hard to determine this since in almost every occasion you are going to be with your car when using the map portion of the app. I just happened to notice it when I pulled it up one time while my RLX was in the shop for the accident repairs, and the map showed my location at home, not the car location (at the shop).

As for the other "remote" functions of the app, they are great and very useful for specific situations. The "horn/flashing lights" remote command helped me out once at a huge festival. I only knew the "general" location of where I had parked in a huge grass field, and it was 3am at night. Sent the remote commands and within seconds it started going off.

Last edited by holografique; 01-06-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zoommer
Neat=I think this might get into battery use and drain issues.

I can see how you can make sure that once the seat reach a certain temperature you can keep cycling on/off to prevent battery drain. I suspect this will require the engine to be on OR to turn on remotely.
The auto seat temp feature can be disabled on the ODMD screen. With remote start the seats will begin to heat/cool and adjust the amount of heat/cool to be comfortable to the driver.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Grandpa

Well, that's weird.

The seat heaters have not been coming on with this car the past couple of days, and it has been quite cold.

TLX V6 Advance Package P-AWS

Is that the kind of car the seat heaters are supposed to come on by themselves?

It's a nice car. Nothing really wrong with it. But I can't wait to get back into my car tomorrow. :-)
Old 01-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Pro

Let us know how the TSB fixes come out for you. I haven't taken mine in yet since I haven't really noticed the wind noise problem.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Grandpa

Let us know how the TSB fixes come out for you. I haven't taken mine in yet since I haven't really noticed the wind noise problem.
Let somebody else drive, and you sit in the passenger seat. :-) You might have it and not know it!

They replaced the headlights, too. I didn't even know they could get their hands on them yet.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Well, that's weird.

The seat heaters have not been coming on with this car the past couple of days, and it has been quite cold.

TLX V6 Advance Package P-AWS

Is that the kind of car the seat heaters are supposed to come on by themselves?

It's a nice car. Nothing really wrong with it. But I can't wait to get back into my car tomorrow. :-)
Sorry to mislead you George. The auto function has to be intiated via the ODMD screen. Once you touch the seat graphic the screen will appear and you will see the auto button to engage it. Yes, on the Adv package.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Sorry to mislead you George. The auto function has to be intiated via the ODMD screen. Once you touch the seat graphic the screen will appear and you will see the auto button to engage it. Yes, on the Adv package.
I am amazed that there are features on the TLX that are not on the RLX Advance. You would think the RLX Advance would have all the features of the TLX plus.

Quick Reply: RLX / TLX Comparison