Which model should I purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Which model should I purchase?

My '06 TL is a bit long in the tooth and needs retiring....

I am considering a 2014 RLX or a 2015 TLX.

What do you guys recommend? What are the pros and cons or each?

Tim
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
odd that you would phrase it that way....
as they are two different cars...and depending on your needs and wants....will determine what car is better suited for you.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I owned a 2014 RLX PAWS Adv (now own a '17 SHAWD) and a 2015 TLX Adv. As Justnspace said, two different cars. After driving the TLX I always enjoyed getting back into the RLX. TLX was a bit more sportier/tighter handling car than the RLX. My wife always commented (she drives the TLX) the RLX felt 'loose'.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I went from a 2014 RLX P-AWS to a 2015 RLX Sport Hybrid. I liked the features of the RLX but the suspension of the 2014 P-AWS was terrible and clunky - you'll get a lot of feedback on this point with members here. I would not purchase it again if I could go back in time. The suspension issues on the P-AWS model was corrected in the 2016 model year. Even my 2015 Sport Hybrid is a milder version of clunky and in retrospect I should have held out for a 2016, but the deal at the time on such a rare vehicle was too good to pass up.

Every TLX loaner I drove held the road better and handled road imperfections better - but as Miner said above, I always still liked getting back into the RLX. It's a bigger, more spacious vehicle which just felt more luxurious.

It really comes down to what you prefer. The more I've driven harsher rides lately (my 2012 TL SH-AWD on the stock 19's was also rough on bumps), the more I feel a smooth supple ride is important to me. That said, performance is also important to me personally, and the Sport Hybrid RLX certainly meets that need. My 2012 TL SH-AWD also felt very quick - but the 2014 P-AWS felt heavier (it is), so I wouldn't describe it as a spirited ride. As mentioned above too, it felt loose - not stapled to the road like my TL was... If you go the P-AWS RLX route, make sure you drive it on rough road surfaces to see if you and your dental work can live with it. Don't be fooled by driving it on smooth roads, because it will give you a false sense that it's a very composed ride - and it's not.

Good luck in your search. My recommendation would also be to save a few bucks and test drive a 2014 TL SH-AWD if you can find a nice low mileage used unit that isn't burning oil. I still romanticize my 2012 TL in my head as the best vehicle I've ever owned. It was really quick, handled so well and the fit and finish was excellent. My only beef was it was harsh on road imperfections but otherwise it was just so much fun to drive...
Old 12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by tlemmon
My '06 TL is a bit long in the tooth and needs retiring....

I am considering a 2014 RLX or a 2015 TLX.

What do you guys recommend? What are the pros and cons or each?

Tim
Is this a P-AWS v. P-AWS scenario?

If it is, then generally speaking I would go with the TLX P-AWS.

The build month of the 2014 RLX matters too much for you to have to worry about it.

If you have the option of a 2014 KC2 RLX, then I can certainly speak well to that regardless of build month or a long list of TCB that you might want to address.

Just a couple of days ago, a former professional racer drove my car for a total of about 3 hours, and he remarked several times how nicely the car drove and handled for the size of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
hondamore (12-08-2017), pgeorg (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Test drive both

the best way to know is to testt drive them. And test drive them from the same dealer on same roads if you can. I test drove the rlx paws albeit a 2016 and wasnt too inpressed. I had a 2015 tlx v6 model as a loaner and I really enjoyed the drive. After driving the rlx sport hybrid which only looks like the rlx paws, ( it is entirely a different drive) in my opinion the rlx sport hybrid is a true gem and you wont be disappinted. It is spacious comfortable, handles well, gives great gas mileage for a large fast car, and it is very quick. It all depends on your taste, budget and options available to you. I was in a similar situation. I wanted to upgrade my 08 tl,which I still have as my beater car. Will be selling it soon. I was debating between tlx and rlx. After driving the rlx sh I fell in love and waited for a deal. I finally got one After amonth or two of waiting and searching.
Like others said get a 16 or later for rkx. Personally i didnt like tlx 4 cylinder. Engine was too loud. Once you go v6 its hard to go 4 cylinder. My suggestion is you drive the v6 tlx, 4 cylinder tlx, rlx paws and rlx sport hybrid and decide. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by quartzinterior:
hondamore (12-08-2017), Malibu Flyer (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
It all depends on what is important to you. For me luxury was the biggest factor and thus bought a RLX. Once you sit in both a RLX and TLX you will instantly notice that better and more expensive materials were used for the RLX and rightfully so at the price point they both sit. There is a plethora of wood everywhere to coddle you with the feel of luxury as well. The heads up display in the sports hybrid version is an awesome feature that I now cannot live without. The rear shades for the 3 back windows is also a very nice touch especially if you have a family with toddlers. The noise dampening measures Acura has taken on the RLX is fantastic. The cabin is real quiet to a point that it even muffles the squealing sound of my brakes. Every measure Acura has taken on this car speaks to how luxurious this car is.

Now if you want sporty and to steal the tag line of Mazda, a zoom-zoom kind of a car with a buzzy motor and a less refined interior then the TLX would be a perfect car for you.

Good luck in your search and hope you find your perfect car!
The following 3 users liked this post by kingofire:
hondamore (12-09-2017), moose66 (12-09-2017), pgeorg (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 08:22 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofire
The heads up display....
It's a good, clear one, too!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I think around here I hate the 2014 PAWS suspension the most. But after driving the TLX, while it does drive better I still would chose the RLX. Since both of them cost around the same price that's why I would pick it.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
There have already been a lot of great responses to the OP's question that have covered most of the points to consider in choosing between the TLX and RLX. I am hugely biased toward the RLX and in specific the Sport Hybrid, so I won't pretend to be otherwise and simply list some of the reasons why I would choose the RLX Sport Hybrid:

- Next level of luxury, fit and finish,etc vs the TLX
- Much roomier interior especially the huge back seat which is actually comfortable for passengers
- Smoother, quieter ride - it's a luxury sedan with a sporty side whereas the TLX is a sports sedan with a bit of luxury
- Faster acceleration thanks to the electric motor torque that is immediately available when you want it.
- Much better gas mileage in the city
- Krell audio is amazing
- I feel the electric SHAWD is superior to the "conventional SHAWD"thanks to off throttle torque vectoring etc.
- Exclusivity/rarity of the RLX Sport Hybrid is a big plus for me - you don't see one on every corner.
- HUD is a wonderful feature - you'll hate having to look down at the speedo etc. when you drive any non-HUD vehicle

All of that said, if the OP prefers a tighter, sportier ride and is not concerned with the size of the back seat or city mileage etc, then the TLX is a fun car to drive in its own right and it is certainly a lot easier to find one to buy than an RLX Sport Hybrid.

Good luck tlemmon, let us know what you finally decide on.