Patience: The Longest you ever have waited to switch cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Patience: The Longest you ever have waited to switch cars.

(I just posted this in one of my car places I go and want to see what kind of reponse I get. I might drive 200 miles to look at a 2014 RLX advanced package and cave in) I have been posting like crazy in all kinds of forums, this one, Acura and a few others. (I was going to post on BMW page. But right on BMW page it says themselves that the BMW doesn't have the reliability of the Japanese cars). My question is what is the longest you have ever waited from the time you know that you were serious about wanting another car, until the time you actually got another car. I am trying to decide between a RLX and the new 2016 GSF when it comes out. To me the GS is basically the same as the RLX (if you look at the big picture). But the GSF is a complete different animal. It has the look, the speed and it is basically sort of like driving a large sports car. When that thing comes out I won't be able (well lets say that I don't want to be able to afford it) and prefer to wait until that thing is at least in the upper 40K range (which in my estimation should take 3 years from the time it is released). By the time it is released, a lot of things could happen gas could be $6 a gallon 3 years from now and that wouldn't be a practical daily car to drive 200-300K on it for the next 10 years. I have no idea of the gas mileage in that thing but I am estimating 15 city maybe 22 highway. I could go out and buy a bmw 550 or Mercedes e550 or (genesis 5.0 but that is too large). But none of those would last as long as the GSF will. I like the car I have already and can even drive my beater one until the transmission completely goes out in it. I just don't like driving a car that I know it destined to die on me because of some design flaw from lexus themselves that is no longer under their warranty. (design flaw is carbon buildup in 06's).

Read more: Patience: The Longest you ever have waited to switch cars like the (GSF wait). - Club Lexus Forums
Old 04-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Please don't take this the wrong but you got me totally confused....*lol* What is the objective of this post? Determine whether the RLX is a better car than the GS-F sport?

For me, the RLX is a great car with lots of nice features but the new GS-F is a different beast all together and not sure they should be on the same shopping list.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
His question is the longest you've waited for a car that you wanted. For me, that honor goes to the RLX Sport Hybrid. First read about it as a rumor in 2011, more info in 2012, then delay after delay until I got my skinny little fingers on it five months ago. Love it so far.

Second longest I waited was for my first CTS-V. I fell in love with it at first glance at the NAIAS in January 2008, starting to save for it immediately. I got my hands on one in March 2009.

Otherwise, I haven't had to really wait for a cat I've wanted.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I've had to "wait" for every car I've owned primarily due to my pathological revulsion to paying list price. I take the approach that, if I have a reliable car that gets me where I want to go, buying a new car can certainly wait until I can get the car that I want for the price that I want. I'm not saying that it's easy...waiting for the Sport Hybrid was tough...but good things come to those that wait.

The old man advice I give to my nieces and nephews in this regard is for them to simply ask themselves whether they NEED the car or just WANT the car. You have to get what you need, but you can wait for what you want.

Just my two cents.
The following users liked this post:
MisterZDX (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
...in that case, I never really waited overly long. Usually, the wait for me is associated with the order time when I have a specific model in mind.

I know that I rarely get heavy discounts but cars are my passion and since I have little things I spend my money on, cars are my drug of choice

OP....My apologies for not understanding your question initially. Being a French speaking person, sometime I can get confused easily.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I didn't write that correctly I guess. You can't count a car that you have no idea when it is coming out though. If you did that then I win. in 1999 I wanted an acura NSX but heard of a rumor of a new one coming out in 2001. So I waited until 2000 because then they told me it wasn't coming out in 2001. So far that thing still isn't out, they have talked about it but not out. At this point in time, no way in hell for me to even afford that, so I don't even think of it. I can't count that post neutron. I have been waiting for a Toyota Supra for a year or so, I would take that (at the right price). I was told at the dealership over and over again, late this year and so far nothing. I know the GSF is coming out in the fall so I have to count that since it is "approved".
Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I've had to "wait" for every car I've owned primarily due to my pathological revulsion to paying list price. I take the approach that, if I have a reliable car that gets me where I want to go, buying a new car can certainly wait until I can get the car that I want for the price that I want. I'm not saying that it's easy...waiting for the Sport Hybrid was tough...but good things come to those that wait.

The old man advice I give to my nieces and nephews in this regard is for them to simply ask themselves whether they NEED the car or just WANT the car. You have to get what you need, but you can wait for what you want.

Just my two cents.
Exactly the way I feel. For cars at this price range it's a want not a need ... and wants can wait until the timing is right for you.

I've had my 2003 TL for almost 12 months and pretended to have a car payment for the last year and just saved to a car fund. I've have been seriously looking for a car for the last 6 months. It's always nice when the dealer knows none of their sales tactics will work because there is no *need* for you to buy a car. The way I've looked at it is that if I don't buy a car soon then I'll always be able to get the newer model and have more money saved for it.0

My RLX will be arriving on Monday from Phoenix!
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by jpadilla
Exactly the way I feel. For cars at this price range it's a want not a need ... and wants can wait until the timing is right for you.
Totally agree. Sometimes I question why I'm paying so much a month for a luxury car, when an Accord Sport would suit me just fine and cut my payment in half.

But then I have to remind myself that life is short and I might as well get the car I want....RLX Advance coming soon.