how to disengage parking brake with dead batt

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
how to disengage parking brake with dead batt

A while back, the battery was so low it would not even disengage the parking brake for me to roll it out of the garage to get a jump start. Luckily, I had long enough cables that reached the back of my car for a jump start from the neighbor but he was about a 1/4 inch from my bumper.

Anyone else face this problem? Anyway to get the parking brake off on a dead battery?
Old 03-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I did not find an manual or override feature in the manual. And from a safety standpoint, the manufacturer would not allow the brake to release should the battery drain.

It would not take much juice to release the electronic brake. Along with trying to position the car to jump start, is a good argument for a portable jump / power kit. Perhaps one of the small, plug in power port jumpers would be sufficient?

Theoretically, this would not be an issue in the SH models as they do not crank from the 12v battery.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,666 Likes on 6,687 Posts
Although in your case, it proved cumbersome, I think this is a pretty valid failsafe Acura put in place.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Although in your case, it proved cumbersome, I think this is a pretty valid failsafe Acura put in place.
why? have there been issues with cars who use a manual brake? what about those who don't use their parking brake at all?

I had enough juice to light the panel but not enough to turn the starter ... i figured that should have been enough to release the brake but it wasn't.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Take an electronic door lock for example, would you rather it fail to a locked or unlocked state if the battery dies? Using your same analogy with the manual key is not relevant.

So just to clarify, you had set the parking brake after parking your car, you went in the next day to disengage and the car would not due to a low battery.

Would you rather the car just automatically disengage the parking brake when there's a low battery? That doesn't sound safe at all..
Old 03-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Take an electronic door lock for example, would you rather it fail to a locked or unlocked state if the battery dies? Using your same analogy with the manual key is not relevant.

So just to clarify, you had set the parking brake after parking your car, you went in the next day to disengage and the car would not due to a low battery.

Would you rather the car just automatically disengage the parking brake when there's a low battery? That doesn't sound safe at all..
your arguement makes no sense. if i want the parking brake to release, it should release even if the batt is dead via some manual override ... just like how i can shift the car out of park without starting the car.

I've never mentioned anything about an auto disenagage.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jpadilla
your arguement makes no sense. if i want the parking brake to release, it should release even if the batt is dead via some manual override ... just like how i can shift the car out of park without starting the car.

I've never mentioned anything about an auto disenagage.
Should doesn't mean could..

Hell even the Corvette Stingray doesn't have that ability:
What happens with the Electronic Parking Brake if there is no power? (dead battery)

Subaru outback: Dead Battery and Electronic Emergency Break - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Or a plethora of other cars, the RLX is not unique in this aspect:https://www.google.com/search?q=dise...ke+low+battery

Your best bet is to purchase a mini portable jumpstarter for situations like these..Here's a couple: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...e+jump+starter
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by jpadilla
A while back, the battery was so low it would not even disengage the parking brake for me to roll it out of the garage to get a jump start. Luckily, I had long enough cables that reached the back of my car for a jump start from the neighbor but he was about a 1/4 inch from my bumper.

Anyone else face this problem? Anyway to get the parking brake off on a dead battery?
jpadilla, the only way i could find but i don't think this would have helped you:

HTH