Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I like that CNET review. The reviewer makes some good points. Acura's user interfaces have always been non-intuitive. But overall, I'm even more impressed with the RLX than I was before.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I am not overly impressed with Brian Cooley (CNET). I have seen many of his reviews and I think he is a little campy/dramatic.

Having said that, I would have to say that I thought this was a decent review. I don't agree that Acura's controls aren't intuitive. I think Acura does a better job than most out there, whether that be the voice commands, and especially the redundancy that Brian said was a negative.

The redundancy keeps you from having to dig through sub-menus to access features when you have other features on the screen. Think of the complaints leveled against the first generation I-Drive. In my my opinion I think the controller in the 2nd gen RL was an evolution of the original I-drive by adding redundant buttons. Ironically later I-drive evolutions implemented those redundant buttons as is the case in our X5.

Essentially Acura copied and improved I-Drive, and then BMW copied the copy (that's my opinion).

I know that the most recent Acura offerings were criticized for too many buttons and maybe that's the issue really referenced here, but again, I think Acura does the best at trying to make all of the technology out there usable.

All that technology in the RLX is pretty cool and that is what Acura excels at.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Brian on the one point, and that point is what ultimately kept me from purchasing my fourth Acura, and that is the fact that the styling is a bit boring and anonymous.

Acura engineers are above reproach in my opinion. They need to bring in new blood in the the design house though. They need help in that department.

Get some of the designers who worked on the new NSX working on some of the sedans. Get the heart pumping a bit in those design studios.

Again, my humble opinion.

Last edited by GoHawks; 05-07-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I actually like Brian's review style, it is not targeted toward the car enthusiast, it is more targeted toward the geek. While I do not always agree with him, I prefer the more entertaining review style than some of the others I see online where they can barely get their words out or barely understand automobiles and should not be allowed to even drive let alone review the damn car. I also like Tom Voelk's reviews on drivencarreviews.com and the guys at everymandriver.com. Much rather those more realistic main stream perspectives that the C&D, R&T and MT track 0-6 slalom reviews, as I don't drive my car at the track.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL
I actually like Brian's review style, it is not targeted toward the car enthusiast, it is more targeted toward the geek. While I do not always agree with him, I prefer the more entertaining review style than some of the others I see online where they can barely get their words out or barely understand automobiles and should not be allowed to even drive let alone review the damn car. I also like Tom Voelk's reviews on drivencarreviews.com and the guys at everymandriver.com. Much rather those more realistic main stream perspectives that the C&D, R&T and MT track 0-6 slalom reviews, as I don't drive my car at the track.
I really like Tom Voelk too. I used to be subscribed to his podcasts, but they haven't been syncing on my iDevices anymore. Is he off of iTunes?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Another +1 for Tom Voelk. Yeah, I haven't seen any updates recently.

I also like RoadFly. But just like Tom, they seem to have fallen off the internet.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
What are the DRL on the RLX? I watched a couple of the vids and it looked like the fog lights were on, but nothing else. As discussed on another thread, not legal in many states to run fog lights without low beams on as well
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
with respect to my question above, the LEDs might be on, just hard to tell.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
with respect to my question above, the LEDs might be on, just hard to tell.
Im pretty sure there are a couple LEDs on for DRL, it is hard to tell though. I thought I read somewhere that the LEDs are used for DRL. I could be wrong, it's happened once
Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool Tampa Bay Times

When it comes to its identity, Acura continues to be a work in progress. Is it an aspirational luxury brand or merely a Japanese version of Buick: a step up on the ladder but not the top rung? Now along comes the RLX, the new flagship sedan for Honda's luxury division, which does improve on its predecessor, the RL.

Appearance: 1st to catch your eyes are the sparkling Jewel Eye LED headlights, which Acura says are brighter than halogen or HID lights. Beyond that, the RLX looks like a rather ordinary, slightly stretched midsize sedan. The front fender bulges contribute to this elongated look. The grille is a more subdued version of Acura's shield. Chrome trim and 19-inch alloy wheels add a sporty touch.

Performance: Unlike the RL, the standard RLX is a front-wheel drive. Bad thing? Lyra says no; Peter would like a rear-wheel-drive like the competition. (Acura says there is an AWD hybrid with a 7-speed automatic coming later this year.) What the RLX does have is P-AWS: Precision All-Wheel Steering system, where the wheels in the rear pivot as much as 2 degrees in the same direction as the front wheels. Translation? Improving stability and handling, especially with the Agile Handling Assist system. We did find the RLX to be stable — if not nimble — in sweeping curves.

The engine is a 3.5-liter V-6 with cylinder deactivation to help save on gas. The estimated mpg is a respectable 20/31. The quiet V-6 puts out 310 horsepower and is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission with a sport mode and paddle shifters. (Many luxury competition has 7- or 8-speed gearboxes.) The transmission shifts smoothly, and the engine has enough power for most driving situations; a performance sedan it is not. We both felt the ride was "floaty," like driving in a much bigger car. Our tester came with the Technology Package, which includes driving aids such as lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitor and forward collision warning.

Interior: This is where the RLX shines. The cabin design is elegant, with a nicely curved dash and lots of stitched leather, and aluminum and wood trim. The tech-laden interior also is library quiet, helped by active noise cancellation system and acoustic windshield. That quiet can be shattered by the optional high-end Krell audio with 14 speakers, including a sound bar above the rear seatback that resembles an aftermarket system. Impressive.

The interior is roomy, much better than the previous RL model. The plush Milano Leather seats are comfortable, with 12-way adjustments for the front seats. There are 2 screens on the center console. 1 is primarily a display screen (with a hood that reduces glare) and 1 is mainly a touchscreen that has haptic feedback. There's also a multifunction control for navigation and media input. As in other Hondas we've driven, we found this approach redundant.

Our 3 favorites

Peter Couture

Headlights: I just wish the look-at-me design carried over to the rest of the car.

Seats: Comfortable and roomy, front and rear.

Technology: The RLX is a showcase, if a somewhat busy one.

Lyra Solochek

Headlights: Jewel Eye LED headlights are diamondlike.

Design: It's conservative and minimalist; not all cars have to be flashy.

Steering: Driving into turns became more fun with the Precision All-Wheel Steering system.

The bottom line: The RLX shows that Acura is still struggling to define itself. The car is somewhat generic, but its technology is not. Is that enough to compete in the luxury market? We'll see.

2014 Acura RLX

Price: $48,450 start, $57,845 as tested

Powertrain: 3.5-liter SOHC direct-injected V-6, 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift, FWD.

Horsepower: 310 at 6,500 rpm

Torque: 272 pound-feet at 4,500 rpm

Curb weight: 3,981 pounds

Dimensions

in inches:

Wheelbase, 112.2

Length, 196.1

Width, 74.4

Height, 57.7

Seats: 5

Fuel economy:

20 miles per gallon city, 31 mpg highway

Fuel type:

Premium unleaded (91 octane)

Safety features: Airbags and curtains, rollover sensors, vehicle stability assist, ABS, electronic brake distribution, agile handling assist dynamic braking system, forward collision warning, lane departure warning,.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
hondamore (05-10-2013), JT4 (05-12-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy LA Times

Strip away the $61,345 price tag and ignore all of its competitors, and the 2014 Acura RLX isn't a bad car.

It's a quiet, luxurious and stylish front-wheel-drive sedan that sits at the top of the lineup for Honda's premium brand.

Unfortunately, the RLX has plenty of competition, since it swims in the choppy waters of the mid-size luxury pool. Its peers throw into sharp relief the fact that the RLX feels and drives too much like a Honda to justify even the $49,345 base price.

Plus, every other car in this class holds a meaningful advantage the RLX lacks.

The king of value is the Hyundai Genesis. Tank-like construction? The Mercedes E-Class. The Audi A6 and Jaguar XF are more stylish, the Lexus GS hybrid and Lincoln MKZ hybrid are more fuel efficient.

Buyers seeking Japanese reliability will prefer the Infiniti M, while shoppers who want spirited driving have the BMW 5-Series and Cadillac CTS to consider.

The minor accolades that set this Acura apart are ample rear-seat space and a pile of electronic goodies. But they're not enough to help the lagging fortunes of Acura in this segment.

The predecessor to the RLX — the RL — had more than a little trouble distinguishing itself in its segment. After peaking in its inaugural year in 2005 with more than 17,000 sales, according to Edmunds.com, the fall has been precipitous. By 2012, the RL sold just 379 copies. All year. The BMW 5-Series averaged more than that over a long weekend.

Hoping to correct the RL's unpopularity, Acura made several changes to the formula for its biggest sedan.

It started by stretching the wheelbase by 2 inches and throwing the dividends from this growth into rear legroom, which is now the best in the class. The extra space is appreciable, and comfort and space in the front and rear seats is excellent. But how high does rear legroom rank on shoppers' list of priorities?

Acura also made the RLX more powerful and more fuel efficient than the RL.

Hiding behind Acura's recently subdued metallic beak-grille is a smooth-revving V-6 engine. At 3.5 liters, it's 0.2 liters smaller than before, yet horsepower is up by 10 to 310. Torque rises by a single pound-foot to 272.

Honda and Acura rarely fail to bolt together an enjoyable engine. This is no exception. Though the RLX is no lightweight at an eyelash under 4,000 pounds, this V-6 remains composed when pushed hard (though drivers must engage the car's Sport mode for best results). The only problem is that this is a segment in which impressive engines are as common as seat belts.

Acura does deserve credit for adding direct-injection and lower-friction surfaces in the engine to eke out better fuel mileage while increasing power. The RLX has a 6-speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy is rated at 20 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway.

In 215 miles of testing, we averaged 21 mpg. But for the same money as this Acura, there are a myriad of better hybrid models for those who want a fuel-efficient luxury car.

Later in the year, Acura itself will put on sale a hybrid version of the RLX. It will combine all-wheel drive with at least 370 horsepower, a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, and expected fuel economy of 30 mpg in both city and highway driving.

Pricing hasn't been announced, but it will probably sell for at least several thousand dollars more than the $49,345 base price of the front-wheel-drive RLX.

Acura sees this more powerful hybrid model as making a play for customers who would opt for a V-8 from a rival brand. This philosophy is similar to how Lexus positions its GS hybrid, the 450h.

But the biggest reason to wait for this uber-RLX is it should clean up the woeful front-wheel-drive tendencies of the model we tested.

Of everything the RLX competes with, only the Audi and Lincoln are also front-wheel-drive, though a majority of Audi buyers opt for the all-wheel-drive version. The rest of the field is driven by the rear wheels, the way God, or at least physics, intended.

By pushing power to the same wheels that are steering, and with nearly 61% of the car's weight hanging over those front wheels, the RLX meets enthusiastic turns with poor grip and a sloppy line.

Acura claims to have mitigated this Achilles' heel of front-drive cars with what it calls Precision All-Wheel Steer, or P-AWS. This electronic system is standard on all models. It steers the rear wheels in the opposite direction from the front during turns for better agility. It can also move the rear wheels on the same path as the front for quicker lane changes.

Despite the hype, this system only marginally improves the RLX's tendency to plow through curves when pushed. It had an equally minor effect on making the car behave like a proper rear-wheel-drive sedan. There's just not enough electronic lipstick to mask a front-wheel-drive pig.

Eager driving was further discouraged by the transmission's manual mode. Start tapping the standard paddle shifters and the car rolls off upshifts so slowly you'd think they were relayed by carrier pigeon.

Yet other electronic wizardry that's optional on the RLX proved more useful. Our tester had the Advance package, which added a hefty $12,000 to the $49,345 base price. Included in this package is adaptive cruise control, the best lane-keeping assist system we've encountered, and forward collision warning and braking.

This package also added heated and cooled leather seats, a 14-speaker Krell audio system, blind spot monitoring, moon roof and a navigation system with real-time traffic updates. Items including a backup camera, Pandora radio, iPod integration, seven air bags and lane departure warning are standard on all models.

Also standard are what Acura calls Jewel Eye LED headlamps. Together with handsome (non-jeweled) LED taillights, they make up the only interesting element of the RLX exterior. The car certainly isn't ugly, and in the flesh it exudes a conservative yet stately air.

This is all fine until a Jaguar XF pulls up next to you and suddenly you feel as if you're driving the nicest Honda Accord in the world. It's all relative.

Inside the RLX, this feeling continues. To be clear, this Acura has the right amount of leather-covered surfaces, digital screens and dabs of brushed metal and faux-wood that let it lay claim to the luxury club.

The dual-screen setup in the dashboard is a particularly nice touch. One large display screen for the navigation system sits at the center of the console. Below it is a 2nd, smaller touchscreen. Its functions vary between audio and climate, and this layout wisely conserves space. The rest of the cabin is quiet and comfortable.

Yet somehow the insides of the RLX lack the intangible gravitas of something like a Mercedes-Benz E-Class. Passengers are further reminded about this by the cheap, hollow noise put out by the suspension when the wheels run over rough surfaces.

Viewed on a macro scale, know that if you find yourself at an Acura store with at least $50,000 to spend on a new car, there's no outright reason not to buy the 2014 RLX. Just don't look across the road at a rival lot that sells any of its peers. You'll quickly learn why Acura dealers always want you to shop there last.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have SO much to say about the LA Times review and so little time to say it.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Wow that review is pretty bad.

The king of value is the Hyundai Genesis. Tank-like construction? The Mercedes E-Class. The Audi A6 and Jaguar XF are more stylish, the Lexus GS hybrid and Lincoln MKZ hybrid are more fuel efficient.

Buyers seeking Japanese reliability will prefer the Infiniti M, while shoppers who want spirited driving have the BMW 5-Series and Cadillac CTS to consider.

The minor accolades that set this Acura apart are ample rear-seat space and a pile of electronic goodies. But they're not enough to help the lagging fortunes of Acura in this segment.
One can easily turn this around for each car in this segment. Minor accolades? Says who? I'd imagine there are people out there who feel ample rear-seat space and gadgets are very important in a mid-size luxury car.

In 215 miles of testing, we averaged 21 mpg. But for the same money as this Acura, there are a myriad of better hybrid models for those who want a fuel-efficient luxury car.
MKZ Hybrid? Seriously? Sure it's cheaper, but that car has 188hp. End of story. The other mid-size luxury hybrid sedans all start at well above $50k. GS Hybrid starts at $59k. M Hybrid starts at $55k. E400 hybrid starts at $57k. And these are just base prices.

The part about handling, well, Jeff from TOV found the handling to be pretty good. It's no BMW, but definitely not bad.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Just wait until the "tank-like" construction of the MB E Class takes a dump and you're looking at a four figure repair bill. And a Jaguar? Seriously? Beautiful cars, but you'd have to be a masochist to own one, unless you seriously enjoy hanging out in service departments. This review is so opposite from unbiased, I don't even know what to call it. The main complaint seems to be that the writer felt all wimpy when seen in a mere RLX next to all the MBs, BMWs, Jags, etc. Boo-hoo.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Just wait until the "tank-like" construction of the MB E Class takes a dump and you're looking at a four figure repair bill. And a Jaguar? Seriously? Beautiful cars, but you'd have to be a masochist to own one, unless you seriously enjoy hanging out in service departments. This review is so opposite from unbiased, I don't even know what to call it. The main complaint seems to be that the writer felt all wimpy when seen in a mere RLX next to all the MBs, BMWs, Jags, etc. Boo-hoo.
Again, what the RLX defenders don't seem to get is that the majority of E-Class, 5 series and Jag lease their cars and trade them in well before the warranty expires. On top of that, BMW covers ALL of your maintenance during the warranty and everything is pretty comprehensive. Unlike Cadillac that only covers oil, filters and wipers, BMW goes beyond and also covers brake pad replacement.

As a result, as long as you can make your monthly payment, there is little to no extra out of pocket expense (unless you wear through your tires).

Acura owners I would guess tend to BUY their cars so reliability is a bit more important.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Again, what the RLX defenders don't seem to get is that the majority of E-Class, 5 series and Jag lease their cars and trade them in well before the warranty expires. On top of that, BMW covers ALL of your maintenance during the warranty and everything is pretty comprehensive. Unlike Cadillac that only covers oil, filters and wipers, BMW goes beyond and also covers brake pad replacement.

As a result, as long as you can make your monthly payment, there is little to no extra out of pocket expense (unless you wear through your tires).

Acura owners I would guess tend to BUY their cars so reliability is a bit more important.
Yes, you are right. I have had my RL for 8 years. I haven't had a car payment in 6 years. That's the value of a Japanese car to me.
JonFo (05-17-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

One problem I see with that article is that, it lists out the standard feature(s) of each competitor, and then compare those features against the RLX. Like I was saying, if you do the same to every car, then every car would look bad.

Here's an example:

The king of styling is the Jaguar XF. Tank-like construction? The Mercedes E-Class. Classy and elegant design? The Audi A6. The Lexus GS hybrid and Lincoln MKZ hybrid are more fuel efficient. Buyers seeking Japanese reliability, ample rear space, and tons of gadgets will consider the Acura RLX. While shoppers who want spirited driving have the BMW 5-Series and Cadillac CTS to consider.

The minor accolades that set this Infiniti M apart is its relatively cheaper price tag and its marginally above average performance. But they're not enough to help the lagging fortunes of Infiniti in this segment.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Maybe someone should e-mail this guy and lets give him OUR review of the LA TIMES versus other papers *lmao* I know I have been harsh with Acura lately but its because I know they are capable of better and its stupid people somewhere along the chain that has no marbles (and little hair) that is suppressing the potential of this once-amazing company.

At least with us, we are owners and car enthusiasts who are trying to stimulate the brand the again, rather than spreading false and bias propaganda
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
One problem I see with that article is that, it lists out the standard feature(s) of each competitor, and then compare those features against the RLX. Like I was saying, if you do the same to every car, then every car would look bad.

Here's an example:

The king of styling is the Jaguar XF. Tank-like construction? The Mercedes E-Class. Classy and elegant design? The Audi A6. The Lexus GS hybrid and Lincoln MKZ hybrid are more fuel efficient. Buyers seeking Japanese reliability, ample rear space, and tons of gadgets will consider the Acura RLX. While shoppers who want spirited driving have the BMW 5-Series and Cadillac CTS to consider.

The minor accolades that set this Infiniti M apart is its relatively cheaper price tag and its marginally above average performance. But they're not enough to help the lagging fortunes of Infiniti in this segment.

Albeit it's still early, but my '12 CTS coupe has done pretty well after close to 16K miles. I am keep ing a spreadsheet of repairs to my CTS, compared with the RL based on mileage.

During the first 16k miles I had to get the drivers seat belt bucks replaced (at 4K miles) and at 13K miles, while performing an oil change the dealer found a small leak from the front engine cover.

During the same mileage my RL had the drivers side door handle replaced (11K miles) and at 16K miles the passenger handle replaced.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Why does the reviewer compare the milage of a non-hybrid RLX to hybrid cars? Isn't that an apple to oranges comparison?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Safety Car

Post Weekly Driver

What should a consumer expect from a car with a starting point of just under $50,000? That’s the beginning price of 2014 Acura RLX, the new medium-sized Acura luxury sedan.

The Acura RLX replaces the RL as the carmaker’s top sedan, and it’s firmly positioned against a few heavy-hitters — the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series and Lexus GS 350.

Like its rivals, the Acura RLX has a lot to offer with a variety of trims, powerful engines and enough plushness and superior touches to make it hard not to like.

For starters, it has a 3.5.-liter V6 with 310 horsepower. There are faster sedans, but the new Acura has a steady powerful growl of authority while accelerating. It only took a brief learning curve, and once I realized there was power on demand, the RLX won me over.

There are lots of small, but important features on the new Acura RLX I really like, which videographer Bruce Aldrich (www.tahoetruckeeoutdoor.com) and The Weekly Driver discuss in the video below.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I know people will not agree with me, and that is fine, but on a darker color, I am not fond of the chrome around the rear reflectors on the bumper....It looks cheap. My 2 cents....
Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Safety Car

Wink YakimaHerald

It is a car beautiful in its simplicity and finish, crowned with jewel-like headlamps that practically sparkle.

Its elegantly done interior speaks to luxury without shouting it. It is in the rendering — premium materials, primarily leather, perfectly stitched.

The car’s technology is advanced but easily understandable. The idea is to provide maximum performance without sacrificing common sense. So there is an all-new 3.5-liter, gasoline-direct-injection V-6 engine (310 horsepower, 272 pound-feet of torque).

The engine comes with what the manufacturer calls Variable Cylinder Management and Intelligent Variable Timing and lift Control (i-VTEC). What it amounts to is this: The V-6 engine’s intake valves for air and fuel open longer and deeper to give you the increased power you need to boogie. But cylinder management applies a healthy dose of fuel-saving common sense, automatically, seamlessly changing the engine to run on 6, 4 or 3 cylinders, depending on driving conditions.

It is not hyperbole to declare the car something of a technological and artistic marvel. And Acura, the luxury division of Honda Motor Co., is to be congratulated.
Nuts & bolts

■ Bottom line: For anyone seeking a midsize luxury automobile in the $45,000-to-$65,000 price range, the 2014 Acura RLX Advance is well worth a look. This column gives it an enthusiastic “buy.”

■ Ride, acceleration and handling: Excellent marks in all 3.

■ Body style/layout: This is a front-engine, front-wheel-drive midsize luxury car with 4 side doors and a traditional notchback trunk. Later in 2013, it will be available with all-wheel drive and a hybrid gasoline-electric drive system.

■ Engine transmission: It comes standard with a 3.5-liter, 24-valve gasoline-direct-injection engine with variable valve management and timing for better power and a lower penalty for fuel consumption. The engine is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission that also can be shifted manually.

■ Capacities: Seats 5 people. Cargo capacity is 14.9 cubic feet. Fuel capacity is 18.5 gallons. Premium-grade gasoline is required.

■ Real-world mileage: I averaged 18 miles per gallon in the city and 32 mpg on the highway.

■ Safety: Standard equipment includes four-wheel disc brakes (ventilated front, solid rear); 4-wheel anti-lock brake protection; electronic brake-force distribution; emergency braking assistance; electronic stability and traction control; side, front-cabin knee air bags; and head air bags.

■ Pricing: The 2014 Acura RLX Advance with onboard navigation starts at $60,450, with a dealer’s invoice price on that model of $55,183. Price as tested is $61,345 including an $895 assembly-plant-to-dealership transportation charge. Dealer’s price as tested is $56,078.
Welcome the 2014 Acura RLX Advance, the top of the line of the Acura division.

Honda and Acura have been trying to produce a car like this since 1986, when Acura began selling cars in the United States. Until now, that effort has been lackluster, yielding a number of worthy automobiles but nothing that could not be found, in 1 form or another, in the less-expensive Honda division.

Moreover, Acura lately has come under pressure from Hyundai and Kia, South Korean partners that are deliberately undermining the traditional concept of luxury, stripping it of the notion of exclusivity by making available at reasonable cost almost everything once considered unattainable in an affordable automobile.

Acura has answered back with the front-wheel-drive RLX Advance, which also is equipped with what the division’s engineers call “precision all-wheel-steer” — called P-AWS for purposes of constructing a catchy marketing moniker.

P-AWS does, in fact, allow you to paw the road, especially in curves. It does its work by permitting the rear wheels, independently of each other, to pivot as much as 1.8 degrees in the same direction of the front wheels.

The RLX Advance feels mated to the road — precisely, effortlessly following its turns and undulations.

I have read some criticism of the RLX Advance saying it “doesn’t ride with the same composure as other sedans” in its midlevel luxury class. That seems to me to be code for “it is not a BMW 5-Series.”

It is not.

Nor is the RLX Advance supposed to be. It is what it is: an exceptionally well-executed midsize luxury family sedan that, considering its ample interior room and comfort, places as much emphasis on “family” as it does on “performance.” It defines “luxury” by impeccable craftsmanship and reliability, technological innovation that renders performance with common sense, and exterior and interior styling that is timeless in its appeal.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Winding Road Review of RLX

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...a-rlx-advance/
The following 2 users liked this post by wutaguy:
jhr3uva90 (05-24-2013), wstr75 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Winding Rd

Sometimes, when we’re doing nothing but driving high-horsepower sports sedans, snarling muscle cars, or epic exotics, all we really want to do is get behind the wheel of a big, comfortable, cushy sedan. It’s the equivalent of a cool down walk after a long run, allowing us to free our mind and think about something other than throttle modulation, shift speed, engine noise, and “Oh my God, is that cop coming after me?!”

Fortunately, the new Acura RLX was just the breath of fresh air we needed after a string of lust-worthy metal. That’s not to say the RLX isn’t desirable, but that when parked next to a Chrysler 300 SRT8 or a BMW M5, our RLX Advance kind of blends in.

It’s a clean design, but is also extremely conservative. Acura toned down its beak-nosed design language between the 2013 RL and 2014 RLX, but while the fascia features a look that could be described as “better,” we’d hesitate to call it “different.” In fact, it looks like Acura’s designers may be suffering from the same bout of laziness that’s afflicted Porsche for the past 50 years.

While the shapes are largely the same, it’s the contents of those shapes that distinguish the RLX from the RL. And yes, we’re talking in particular about the “jewel eye” headlights. Say what you will about their appearance, but these 8 LEDs could teach Audi a thing or 6 about exterior lighting.

The low beam’s light enveloped a far-reaching and wide stretch of road. Unlike a lot of new luxury cars, the RLX doesn’t feature or need an active front lighting system, as the headlights are so bright and powerful, and are so wide in their dispersion that adding a motor to turn them just wouldn’t serve any real purpose.

The RLX’s interfaces did a good job of keeping us as comfortable as possible without removing us from the driving experience. After a long day of driving that saw us transition from a BMW M5, into a 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport, and finally into a Volvo C30 over the course of nine hours, climbing into the RLX for our final drive home was a dream come true.

The seats were wide and pleasant, and had a plushness that reminded us of big American luxury sedans of yesteryear. Unlike those comfortable boats, though, taking a turn in the RLX didn’t completely unseat us or leave us hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life. These seats were supportive, with subdued bolsters that did their job without getting in the way or pinching the sides of wider staffers.

The cabin on the upmarket Advance model came very well equipped. Following the example set by the Honda Accord, the RLX sported a pair of displays on its center console, with a secondary set of analog controls below it. The large, top screen’s primary responsibility is to display maps and other non-interactive information. The lower screen is a touch display with haptic feedback, and is the driver’s primary means of interaction with the infotainment systems. It’s responsive and accurate, although the menus for the various systems have a rather steep learning curve.

The big toy in the RLX’s cabin is its wonderful Krell surround-sound system. The 14-speaker system was quite possibly 1 of the finest we’ve ever tested, delivering crisp, deep, rich sound regardless of the music being played. We transitioned from Skrillex to John Williams’ Jurassic Park overture, and found the sound impressive with both genres. Really, you need to hear this system.

Now, as you may have heard, the RLX will be sharing a hybrid powertrain with a rather highly anticipated, Ohio-built supercar. This is not that RLX, though. Instead, we’ve got a robust, 3.5-liter V-6 that can deliver 310 horsepower and 272 pound-feet of torque. Power is transmitted to the front wheels through a 6-speed automatic transmission. Wait, you’re still hung up on that front-wheel-drive part, right? Don’t be.

The RLX offers something called Precision All-Wheel Steer, initialized to P-AWS, as a standard item on all RLXs. As you may have guessed, P-AWS allows the RLX’s rear wheels to turn in response to the driving conditions. The all-electric system can adjust the rear-wheel’s steering angel independent of what the front wheels are doing. The result is extremely fast and smooth turn in, giving the RLX a sharpness that betrays its front-drive architecture, while also improving overall stability.

The RLX’s 3.5-liter V-6 felt like the right engine for a luxury sedan like this, as it delivered its power in smooth, relaxed doses. The throttle was easy to modulate, with quite linear power delivery. More importantly, it sounded very refined, with a subtle sportiness to the engine note only evident when we really dug into the rev range.

The 6-speed automatic was a good fit as well, providing quick, smooth upshifts and downshifts. When we dove deep into the skinny pedal, the 6AT served up a relaxed downshift that, while not jostling cabin occupants, didn’t leave us feeling flat-footed when power was called for. The manual mode was kind of an afterthought, with a tiny pair of wheel-mounted paddles. It works fine, but felt kind of silly on a car like this.

In what can only be described as a breath of fresh air, the RLX’s powertrain only featured 1 level of adjustment rather than multiple settings for the suspension, engine, and transmission (ahem, BMW). “Sport” mode sharpened the throttle response and held gears slightly longer, but that’s about the extent of it.

The steering, ride, and handling were unsurprisingly isolated. Feedback through the wheel was quite limited anywhere but on center, and the effort the electric rack expected us to exert was laughably low.

The handling, with the exception of the quick turn-in, was quite soft. Imperfections were managed well, although undulating surfaces left the RLX feeling floaty. In general, the ride and handling feel were rather detached. There wasn’t a lot of feedback through the suspension, which didn’t come as much of a shock.

The 2014 Acura RLX pricing scheme is a simple one that follows established Honda tradition—there are no options, just trim packages. The base model starts at $48,450, while the Navigation model ups the price to $50,950 and adds navigation (duh) and AcuraLink. The Technology Package runs $54,450, and adds a 14-speaker ELS stereo, upgraded Milano leather seats, 19-inch wheels, rain-sensing wipers, and blind-spot monitoring. The Krell Audio Pack RLX costs $56,950, and adds the wonderful 14-speaker Krell stereo, along with a power rear sunshade. Our tester, the RLX Advance costs $60,450 and adds adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and a collision mitigation braking system. The rear seats also get a heating function.

The great thing about the RLX is that so much of the good stuff comes standard. The amazing “jewel eye” LEDs and Performance All-Wheel Steering are both no-cost items which immediately elevate even the base model RLX to something we’d consider. While we enjoyed the loaded RLX, we’d have no qualms about picking up one of the mid-range models, thanks in large part to some of the standard equipment.

Our time with the RLX was quite revealing. It’s not, as we’ve established, a very sporty or fun-to-drive car. While we’d bemoan this fact, the reality is that there’s this tendency in the market to deliver far more performance than most buyers need, often at the sacrifice of comfort and refinement. The RLX is the inverse of this philosophy, prioritizing its occupants rather than just its driver. Every once in a while, we like that change.
2014 Acura RLX Advance
Engine: V-6, 3.5 liters, 24v
Output: 310 hp/272 lb-ft
0-60 MPH: 6.0 sec (est)
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 20/31 mpg
Base Price: $60,450
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Ut

ReLaX

Acura has redoubled its ante to the entry-luxury sedan segment with a new, larger and much invigorated RLX sedan.

The new nameplate is an update from the old RL and in line with the company’s X nomenclature, including the ILX compact sedan and RDX and MDX crossovers.

RLX may not be not an image-defining nameplate, but this car now makes a defining statement of guts, back seat room and obsessive detail.

Sold in 5 trim levels, starting prices range from $49,345 to $61,000, including the $895 freight charge from Japan. All models are front-wheel drive with a 310-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6, 6-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel steering. The AWD Sport Hybrid goes on sale later this year, using electric motors to drive the rear wheels. There is no mechanical driveline connection front to rear.

If luxury buyers have been ambivalent about this brand, there is new direction from the work that went into RLX. After a week testing the uplevel RLX Advance ($61,345), my exit interview is “ReLaX.”

As the luxury division of Honda, Acura has closed the door on comparisons to its mainstream partner – at least with the RLX, which is separate from the Accord.

By dimensions, RLX is a midsize car, it just feels full size. The redesign is about the same length as before but a couple inches wider on a longer wheelbase. The width is welcome throughout the cabin but felt in the wide, 40.5-foot turning circle.

At 3,997 pounds, fuel economy on premium is 20 mpg city, 31 highway and 24 combined. According to the onboard computer, my heavy-footed driving was returning an average of 24.3 mpg combined.

Acceleration in standard mode is mundane, but punch the Sport button on the console and the RLX sloughs off pounds and tucks into position. Steering is linear in how the wheel unwinds smoothly through the fingertips. Brake force is reassuring from 12.3-inch front ventilated rotors and 12.2-inch solid rear discs. Both sets of binders have single-piston calipers.

Telescopic, gas-filled Amplitude Reactive Dampers (shock absorbers) and stabilizer bars front and rear deliver sport-class handling when needed, relaxing to supple control for the daily commute. The whole body construction filters harshness and noise. Even at highway speeds there is little wind noise. In cornering, the all-wheel steering actually gives that seat-of-the-pants push of rear-wheel-drive.

All models get 18- or 19-inch noise-reducing alloy wheels and all-season tires. The standard tire is a Michelin Pilot MXM4 P245/45 or a Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/40 on uplevel models.

The interior design is harmonious in textures, touch and hues. The styling is contemporary, not aggressive, but tailored to compliment formal dress or denim getaways.

There is rich attention to detail in the intriguing wood grain, the velvety microfiber treatments, precise panel alignment and the rich, perforated leather with a mouth-watering aroma. The carpeted floor mats seem too neat for shoes.

The driver area is, at last, uncluttered. A touchscreen and simple controller access various cabin functions, all without an angry reaction from the driver. Navigation is simple to operate and connecting my iPhone took nanoseconds, quickly pulling up my Pandora channel. The 14-speaker Krell audio system seemed most dynamic at sound levels louder than I prefer.

Sightlines are open over the hood and over the shoulder. There is no glare from sunshine beaming on the rear camera screen or reflections in the windshield. The driver’s door panel is a blueprint of how to group window tabs, door locks, mirror controls and switches for trunk and gas door – all in a space the size of a big hand print. So smart but so bungled by many others.

The available technologies are loaded onto the Advance model and all are stealth in function. An audible tone from the Lane Departure Assist works with Lane Keeping Assist to nudge the wheel back on course if the driver wanders. And that aid works with Forward Collision Warning as another set of eyes for the driver. The adaptive cruise control will maintain speed or slow to a stop if needed. But the adaptive element also can be switched off for simple cruise control. Not all systems offer that separation.

Step into the back seat and stretch out with nearly 39 inches of legroom. The door panels are concave for added elbow room in an already broad space. Still, it’s a more comfortable 4-seater, with a narrow center position with feet spread by a broad transmission tunnel.

The 15-cubic-foot trunk has wide accessible space and some basement storage. But the somewhat shallow depth of the aperture will be limiting to a giant piece of luggage.

The exterior styling is neat, clean, accommodating to entry and exit – but almost disappearing. The RLX has such a dynamic presence that I wanted this entire recipe morphed into a sex-jet body style. It deserves that kind of recognition.

Acura has been idling in the entry-luxury segment for years now, but the RLX shows that the brand is ready to change perceptions.

The following 4 users liked this post by TSX69:
2011TL (05-24-2013), hondamore (05-24-2013), jhr3uva90 (05-24-2013), JT4 (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Nice review...

The more I see it in person the more I am liking the styling. But those wheels . A different set of wheels would make all the difference.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Winding Road
Our time with the RLX was quite revealing. It’s not, as we’ve established, a very sporty or fun-to-drive car. While we’d bemoan this fact, the reality is that there’s this tendency in the market to deliver far more performance than most buyers need, often at the sacrifice of comfort and refinement. The RLX is the inverse of this philosophy, prioritizing its occupants rather than just its driver. Every once in a while, we like that change.
And that sums up the FWD RLX. I hope the Sport Hybrid RLX adds the driver to the equation. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 PM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The trouble with the RLX is I don't see that many being sold when compared to Mercedes, BMW, Audi. Those brands move a lot of their inventory with leases to those who are happy making a monthly payment and having a car under warranty.

The RLX is the perfect car to buy off lease since you can get a low mileage CPO RL and run it to 250K. Not sure many want to do that with a 5 series or E Class. With so few RLs being sold and now probably the RLX it will be difficult to find one coming off lease. Acura needs to get these out on lease to supply the CPO buyer. In my opinion the CPO buy is where Acura shines versus the competition with the reliabulity and low cost to maintain. I probably will not buy a RLX new but would love to get one off lease!
jwong77 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by KES
The trouble with the RLX is I don't see that many being sold when compared to Mercedes, BMW, Audi. Those brands move a lot of their inventory with leases to those who are happy making a monthly payment and having a car under warranty.

The RLX is the perfect car to buy off lease since you can get a low mileage CPO RL and run it to 250K. Not sure many want to do that with a 5 series or E Class. With so few RLs being sold and now probably the RLX it will be difficult to find one coming off lease. Acura needs to get these out on lease to supply the CPO buyer. In my opinion the CPO buy is where Acura shines versus the competition with the reliabulity and low cost to maintain. I probably will not buy a RLX new but would love to get one off lease!
For sure. I don't think Acura is trying to sell the same amount of RLX as the E Class, 5 series, and A6. I think they would be happy if they can shift 500-1000 RLX a month. Then they can build on that for the next generation. It will take quite a bit of time before they can even think about challenging those German brands in terms of sales for a $50-70k car.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

I like the RLX much more now.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Does anyone actually say anything in this video?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Finally, a review with no negative comments!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

Wink Kicking Tires

Although the brand-new 2014 Acura RLX is bigger than a midsize sedan, it's not big enough to fit 3 child-safety seats across its backseat. A raised center seating position and larger seat bolsters hindered our ability to install 3 car seats. However, 2 car seats fit easily in the RLX.

How many car seats fit in the 2nd row? 2

What We Like

2 sets of easy-to-access Latch anchors in the outboard seats
Lots of room for rear-facing infant-safety and convertible seats
Outboard seat belt buckles are on rigid bases, making them easy for younger kids to use
Bolstered seats cradled our high-back booster seat

What We Don't

Rear-facing convertible was difficult to install because its base blocked access to the Latch anchors
Center seat's buckle has a floppy base, making it difficult for kids in booster seats to grasp

Grading Scale

A: Plenty of room for the car seat and the child; doesn't impact driver or front-passenger legroom. Easy to find and connect to Latch and tether anchors. No fit issues involving head restraint or seat contouring. Easy access to the 3rd row.

B: Plenty of room. 1 fit or connection issue. Some problems accessing 3rd row.

C: Marginal room. 2 fit or connection issues. Difficult to access 3rd row.

D: Insufficient room. 2 or more fit or connection issues.

F: Does not fit or is unsafe.

About Cars.com's Car Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger and Jennifer Newman are certified child safety seat installation technicians.

For the Car Seat Check, we use a Graco SnugRide 30 infant-safety seat, a Britax Roundabout convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The front seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a 5-foot-8 passenger. The 3 child seats are installed in the 2nd row. The booster seat sits behind the driver's seat, and the infant and convertible seats are installed behind the front passenger seat.

We also install the forward-facing convertible in the 2nd row's middle seat with the booster and infant seat in the outboard seats to see if 3 car seats will fit; a child sitting in the booster seat must be able to reach the seat belt buckle. If there's a 3rd row, we install the booster seat and a forward-facing convertible.

Parents should also remember that they can use the Latch system or a seat belt to install a car seat.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:42 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I doubt putting 3 car seats in the back of a RLX is a requirement for many buyers. I am waiting to see if it can carry three canoes on the roof! Wel not really but could it?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I eagerly await the follow up article: How does "Wheels on the bus go round and round" sound on the Krell audio system?
Massive sarcasm brought to you by the guy with no kids.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Winding Road

Originally Posted by H_CAR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_gE13X9dtM

Re: Winding Road Review -
At around 3:00, did I see the center console open up from the driver's side, or the passenger side, or from the front?? Pretty slick.

Last edited by WheelMcCoy; 05-31-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Specified the video I was commenting on.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by H_CAR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_gE13X9dtM

I will say that the interior is beautiful.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Safety Car

Post NY Times

Psst, buddy: Can I interest you in a $50,000 or $60,000 Acura?

For years, that come-on has sent shoppers running from Acura’s discount alley to more illustrious brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus.

Honda’s luxury brand does many things well, but prestige sedans have not necessarily been 1 of them. Acura’s wheelhouse is the $30,000 to $45,000 range, and after a recession-era plunge, the brand is smartly ramping up sales. The new RDX crossover may be the best pocketbook-friendly alternative to an Audi Q5 or BMW X3. A refashioned MDX, Acura’s popular midsize crossover, is busting out of the gate. And the TL is an underrated entry-luxury sedan, especially with Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive, or SH-AWD, which despite its supersilly name actually improves handling.

But Acura seems to run out of air, and inspiration, above the $50,000 heights. The new RLX shows Acura, Sisyphus-like, trying to roll a midsize sedan up the mountain to where the German gods live. We’ve seen this tragedy before, most recently with the Acura RL. That RL was as D.O.A. as any luxury car can be; a spreadsheet on wheels that, by 2011, became the worst-selling mainstream car in America, finding barely 1,000 customers.

The RLX fares better, but it doesn’t confront Acura’s high-end sedan issues head on, preferring to dodge them by adding more space and enough gadgets to fill a Best Buy. Acura’s flagship still seems designed for an illusory luxury world, one in which low-key virtue trumps high design and ego-inflating performance.

Wedded to Honda’s less-is-more philosophy, Acura has publicly rejected the development of a rear-wheel-drive sedan (or an optional V-8 engine) despite all the evidence that big-money buyers prefer a rear-drive platform: the Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS, Infiniti M and Jaguar XF all send power to the rear, with all-wheel drive available across the board. The formidable Audi A6 is all-wheel-drive only. 8-cylinder engines are options in all but the Lexus and Audi.

The RLX wades into this shark tank, for now, in exclusively front-drive form. Power is amply supplied by a new direct-injection 3.5-liter V-6 with 310 horsepower, a gain of 10 over the RL’s 3.7-liter V-6.

This silky, strengthened version of the Honda Accord’s V-6 shuts down half of its cylinders in steady cruising, helping to lift the fuel economy rating to 20/31 m.p.g., up from just 17/24 for the RL. So far, so good, though even my most frugal-minded efforts failed to squeeze out more than 27 m.p.g.

But as your eye sails over the Acura, it finds no safe perch in a sea of bland. On 2 occasions, I strolled past the Acura, blending in at the curb, and had to backtrack to find it. There’s nothing unpleasant about the RLX, but the go-along-to-get-along styling doesn’t bode well for what’s already an underdog in its class.

1 distinctive feature, the gleaming Jewel Eye LED headlamps, did a great job of cutting through nighttime murk.

Big, airy and relaxing, the RLX’s interior benefits from a 2-inch wheelbase stretch and 1.8 inches more width. Acura says there is more rear knee and shoulder room than in any competitor, and the extra space is apparent. Acura might have pressed that real-estate edge with genuine room for 3 in the rear, but the center perch is typically high and hard.

Here’s an appreciative nod to the manual rear window shades: Lift the main section, and a smaller shade pivots out to cover the remaining triangle of glass.

The new rotary-knob control system is blessedly simplified, though screen menus remain cumbersome in the anal-retentive Honda fashion.

The RLX looks to stare down any competitors’ technology: “I’ll see your cellular-linked assistant, integrated phone apps and adaptive cruise control, and raise you a 4-wheel-steering system.”

That Precision All-Wheel Steer system — or PAWS, in 1 of the more apt industry acronyms — can turn the rear wheels in tandem with the fronts for greater high-speed stability, or in the opposite direction for low-speed agility and a slightly reduced turning circle. It’s an often-tried technology that’s never caught on, probably because the effect, as ever, is largely imperceptible.

The same goes for the optional lane-keeping assist, which spies lane markers and lightly nudges the steering wheel to keep the car centered. But here, Acura seems too timid, or worried about liability, to go all-out: The system stops operating if a driver’s hands stray from the wheel. And since its digital hand still lets the car drift wide without human input, it’s hard to see the gain over basic lane-departure buzzer warnings.

The RLX literally doubles down on video displays, stacking a sharp 8-inch navigation screen atop a 7-inch touchscreen. There’s some redundancy between screens, but the Acura can display navigation, audio and climate controls simultaneously with no crowding. (Don’t try that in your Mercedes.) The optional Krell audio system is a knockout for spacious sound and tonal clarity — on par with some big-name Bang & Olufsen units — especially when I popped in an audiophile-level CD.

The Honda-Acura navigation system and mapping are among the industry’s best. But voice functions are a literal waste of breath, requiring more rounds of call-and-response than a square dance. Acura’s latest real-time traffic alerts now include conditions on surface streets, though its accuracy will surely be superior in major cities than in obscure small towns.

And for a car that aims for easy connectivity, Acura may want a word with its liability lawyers: You can’t manually input addresses, access your stored phonebook or even reset the trip computer without pulling over.

Over the road, the RLX’s watchword is “soft.” Laminated acoustic glass hushes the interior. The steering is feather-light, creating some high-speed trepidation, and the suspension is in comfort’s camp as well.

The automatic transmission has merely 6 speeds. It is capable in everyday driving, but lazy when prodded with the available paddle shifters, even when Sport mode is selected. Like the basic TL, the RLX is a great cruiser and a good handler — for a front-drive car. But no amount of steering trickery can hide the cars’ nose-heavy weight bias.

Nor can the RLX fully hide its birthright. From the safe-as-milk exterior to the Vulcan logic of its cabin, the RLX comes off as the sweetest Honda you’ve ever imagined. And since there’s no need to imagine a $30,000 V-6 Accord or a $40,000 Acura TL, even fans of the Acura brand may ask why they should pay from $49,345 to $61,345 for the RLX. 4-wheel steering, anyone?

Acura is talking up value, but consider the rear-drive Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan. The Genesis’ top R-Spec model — with 429 horsepower from a 5-liter V-8 — actually costs less than the base-model RLX. As if Audi, BMW and Mercedes weren’t scary enough.

Underdogs often get 1 at-bat to garner early critical and consumer attention, but Acura has left its slugger on the bench: This fall, an RLX Hybrid will squeeze 370 horsepower from the V-6 and an intriguing all-wheel-drive system with 3 electric motors: 1 electric motor up front, and 2 independent motors to power and boost handling at the rear wheels. Acura expects roughly 30 m.p.g. in combined city and highway travel.

A shot at that RLX Hybrid — with better mileage, 4 driven wheels and more might than any V-6 rival — might have changed my modest impressions for the better.

Who knows, I might even have liked it better than a loaded Accord.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX69

Psst, buddy: Can I interest you in a $50,000 or $60,000 Acura?

For years, that come-on has sent shoppers running from Acura’s discount alley to more illustrious brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus.

Honda’s luxury brand does many things well, but prestige sedans have not necessarily been 1 of them. Acura’s wheelhouse is the $30,000 to $45,000 range, and after a recession-era plunge, the brand is smartly ramping up sales. The new RDX crossover may be the best pocketbook-friendly alternative to an Audi Q5 or BMW X3. A refashioned MDX, Acura’s popular midsize crossover, is busting out of the gate. And the TL is an underrated entry-luxury sedan, especially with Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive, or SH-AWD, which despite its supersilly name actually improves handling.

But Acura seems to run out of air, and inspiration, above the $50,000 heights. The new RLX shows Acura, Sisyphus-like, trying to roll a midsize sedan up the mountain to where the German gods live. We’ve seen this tragedy before, most recently with the Acura RL. That RL was as D.O.A. as any luxury car can be; a spreadsheet on wheels that, by 2011, became the worst-selling mainstream car in America, finding barely 1,000 customers.

The RLX fares better, but it doesn’t confront Acura’s high-end sedan issues head on, preferring to dodge them by adding more space and enough gadgets to fill a Best Buy. Acura’s flagship still seems designed for an illusory luxury world, one in which low-key virtue trumps high design and ego-inflating performance.

Wedded to Honda’s less-is-more philosophy, Acura has publicly rejected the development of a rear-wheel-drive sedan (or an optional V-8 engine) despite all the evidence that big-money buyers prefer a rear-drive platform: the Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS, Infiniti M and Jaguar XF all send power to the rear, with all-wheel drive available across the board. The formidable Audi A6 is all-wheel-drive only. 8-cylinder engines are options in all but the Lexus and Audi.

The RLX wades into this shark tank, for now, in exclusively front-drive form. Power is amply supplied by a new direct-injection 3.5-liter V-6 with 310 horsepower, a gain of 10 over the RL’s 3.7-liter V-6.

This silky, strengthened version of the Honda Accord’s V-6 shuts down half of its cylinders in steady cruising, helping to lift the fuel economy rating to 20/31 m.p.g., up from just 17/24 for the RL. So far, so good, though even my most frugal-minded efforts failed to squeeze out more than 27 m.p.g.

But as your eye sails over the Acura, it finds no safe perch in a sea of bland. On 2 occasions, I strolled past the Acura, blending in at the curb, and had to backtrack to find it. There’s nothing unpleasant about the RLX, but the go-along-to-get-along styling doesn’t bode well for what’s already an underdog in its class.

1 distinctive feature, the gleaming Jewel Eye LED headlamps, did a great job of cutting through nighttime murk.

Big, airy and relaxing, the RLX’s interior benefits from a 2-inch wheelbase stretch and 1.8 inches more width. Acura says there is more rear knee and shoulder room than in any competitor, and the extra space is apparent. Acura might have pressed that real-estate edge with genuine room for 3 in the rear, but the center perch is typically high and hard.

Here’s an appreciative nod to the manual rear window shades: Lift the main section, and a smaller shade pivots out to cover the remaining triangle of glass.

The new rotary-knob control system is blessedly simplified, though screen menus remain cumbersome in the anal-retentive Honda fashion.

The RLX looks to stare down any competitors’ technology: “I’ll see your cellular-linked assistant, integrated phone apps and adaptive cruise control, and raise you a 4-wheel-steering system.”

That Precision All-Wheel Steer system — or PAWS, in 1 of the more apt industry acronyms — can turn the rear wheels in tandem with the fronts for greater high-speed stability, or in the opposite direction for low-speed agility and a slightly reduced turning circle. It’s an often-tried technology that’s never caught on, probably because the effect, as ever, is largely imperceptible.

The same goes for the optional lane-keeping assist, which spies lane markers and lightly nudges the steering wheel to keep the car centered. But here, Acura seems too timid, or worried about liability, to go all-out: The system stops operating if a driver’s hands stray from the wheel. And since its digital hand still lets the car drift wide without human input, it’s hard to see the gain over basic lane-departure buzzer warnings.

The RLX literally doubles down on video displays, stacking a sharp 8-inch navigation screen atop a 7-inch touchscreen. There’s some redundancy between screens, but the Acura can display navigation, audio and climate controls simultaneously with no crowding. (Don’t try that in your Mercedes.) The optional Krell audio system is a knockout for spacious sound and tonal clarity — on par with some big-name Bang & Olufsen units — especially when I popped in an audiophile-level CD.

The Honda-Acura navigation system and mapping are among the industry’s best. But voice functions are a literal waste of breath, requiring more rounds of call-and-response than a square dance. Acura’s latest real-time traffic alerts now include conditions on surface streets, though its accuracy will surely be superior in major cities than in obscure small towns.

And for a car that aims for easy connectivity, Acura may want a word with its liability lawyers: You can’t manually input addresses, access your stored phonebook or even reset the trip computer without pulling over.

Over the road, the RLX’s watchword is “soft.” Laminated acoustic glass hushes the interior. The steering is feather-light, creating some high-speed trepidation, and the suspension is in comfort’s camp as well.

The automatic transmission has merely 6 speeds. It is capable in everyday driving, but lazy when prodded with the available paddle shifters, even when Sport mode is selected. Like the basic TL, the RLX is a great cruiser and a good handler — for a front-drive car. But no amount of steering trickery can hide the cars’ nose-heavy weight bias.

Nor can the RLX fully hide its birthright. From the safe-as-milk exterior to the Vulcan logic of its cabin, the RLX comes off as the sweetest Honda you’ve ever imagined. And since there’s no need to imagine a $30,000 V-6 Accord or a $40,000 Acura TL, even fans of the Acura brand may ask why they should pay from $49,345 to $61,345 for the RLX. 4-wheel steering, anyone?

Acura is talking up value, but consider the rear-drive Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan. The Genesis’ top R-Spec model — with 429 horsepower from a 5-liter V-8 — actually costs less than the base-model RLX. As if Audi, BMW and Mercedes weren’t scary enough.

Underdogs often get 1 at-bat to garner early critical and consumer attention, but Acura has left its slugger on the bench: This fall, an RLX Hybrid will squeeze 370 horsepower from the V-6 and an intriguing all-wheel-drive system with 3 electric motors: 1 electric motor up front, and 2 independent motors to power and boost handling at the rear wheels. Acura expects roughly 30 m.p.g. in combined city and highway travel.

A shot at that RLX Hybrid — with better mileage, 4 driven wheels and more might than any V-6 rival — might have changed my modest impressions for the better.

Who knows, I might even have liked it better than a loaded Accord.

I liked the review. To answer the reviewer's question, though, why would I spend $50K = $60K on an RLX when I can get a TL for less? 1) Features, 2) RLX was built in Japan.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
^^ So was the previous RL (and the previous gen Honda Civic Hybrid, too), along with the TSX.

Those wanting a made in Japan Acura can still pay less for the TSX.

I think most reviews have mentioned it to some degree: wait for the AWD hybrid.
jhr3uva90 (06-02-2013)

Quick Reply: Acura RLX Reviews (Sport Hybrid reviews pg 21)