AC whine (not sure how to say it)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
I was able to install the insulation modifications to my RLX today and so far it's a hit, no more noise!!

I'm working on an updated post shortly with details and video...
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
George Knighton (06-03-2015), pgeorg (05-31-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-03-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
I was able to install the insulation modifications to my RLX today and so far it's a hit, no more noise!!

I'm working on an updated post shortly with details and video...
Excellent! I am waiting to read it!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was able to take some time today to apply what I am calling the "2014 RLX - A/C Line Noise Insulation Mod".

First, thanks to KenRLX for first posting about this fix here ---> KenRLX's AC Moan/Whistle Fix. My posting and work would not have been possible without his findings first.

PARTS -

here's all the parts & tools I used for the modification:
  • (1) 5ft piece of 5/8' fuel line hose
  • (1) 5ft piece of 5/16' heater hose
  • (1) pair of needle-nose pliers (optional)
  • (1) measuring tape (optional)
  • (1) cutting blade
  • (1) head-mounted work LED light
  • (1) wire cutters
  • (1) garden cutters

STEPS-

1. I prepared both pieces of hose by using the cutting blade to cut a straight line opening all the way through the entire length of both pieces. This prevents you from having to make multiple smaller cuts later as you cut all the individual pieces to fit the various exposed areas of the two A/C lines.

2. Mount up your head-mounted LED light as you'll need it for clear visibility into the tighter areas while having both hands completely free to work.

3. Spend about 5-10 minutes familiarizing yourself with both the 5/8 AC line and the 5/16 AC line. Study both lines well and get familiar with all of the areas where the lines are exposed that you'll be applying the pieces of insulation hose.

4. There is no right or wrong way to go about applying the hose. Just be careful to take your time, be patient and don't let any pieces fall into the engine compartment or end up scratching the body paint by mishandling one of the tools. While I didn't have any problems, it looks like there are areas that would be hard to get to recover a piece that's dropped.

5. It is best to apply individual pieces on areas that are straight versus trying to bend the hose to conform to bends in the line. Use the garden cutters to easily cut the various pieces you need. You can either use the measuring tape or just eye it. I ended up eyeing all of my pieces as you'll find it difficult to maneuver the measuring tape in the tighter areas behind the engine. You can also use the needle-noise pliers to further fix the position of the hose as you get it applied to the lines.

4. Here are pictures of what the areas should look like once completed and covered:

ADDITIONAL NOTES-

Here is a link to a video where I briefly outline the areas on both lines as well as covering a couple additional tips you'll want to know before attempting the modification. https://vimeo.com/129384129

The entire process took me about 1-hour, that includes prep time, studying the lines, performing the installation, and cleanup. The installation itself is about a 15-20 min process. Also note that as of yet, I have not applied any type of clamps or tie-downs to secure the hose. I plan to do that tomorrow. I just need to locate some metal clamps that open completely as I want something very durable and colorless.

THE RESULTS?

As of this afternoon, I took a 30-min drive and noticed a drastic improvement. It essentially has eliminated all aspects of the "A/C Moan" in all it's various tones and timbres that I exhibited in my RLX. This includes both the low and hi "groaning" at low speeds, as well as the high pitched "howling and whistling" that you'd get at both low and high speeds. The A/C now appears to operate completely free of what I would call any "mechanical" noise, and you now only get the smooth (pleasing) sound of the air flow coming from the vents. Funny...just how you would expect a luxury car A/C system to operate...

I will continue to monitor this over the course of this week and report back again next weekend to verify that this has indeed permanently fixed the issue before I adding my final comments on this issue as a whole.
The following 6 users liked this post by holografique:
George Knighton (06-03-2015), hondamore (05-31-2015), Limelight (06-02-2015), neuronbob (11-01-2015), pgeorg (05-31-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-03-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by holografique
I was able to take some time today to apply what I am calling the "2014 RLX - A/C Line Noise Insulation Mod".

First, thanks to KenRLX for first posting about this fix here ---> KenRLX's AC Moan/Whistle Fix. My posting and work would not have been possible without his findings first.

PARTS -

here's all the parts & tools I used for the modification:
  • (1) 5ft piece of 5/8' fuel line hose
  • (1) 5ft piece of 5/16' heater hose
  • (1) pair of needle-nose pliers (optional)
  • (1) measuring tape (optional)
  • (1) cutting blade
  • (1) head-mounted work LED light
  • (1) wire cutters
  • (1) garden cutters

STEPS-

1. I prepared both pieces of hose by using the cutting blade to cut a straight line opening all the way through the entire length of both pieces. This prevents you from having to make multiple smaller cuts later as you cut all the individual pieces to fit the various exposed areas of the two A/C lines.

2. Mount up your head-mounted LED light as you'll need it for clear visibility into the tighter areas while having both hands completely free to work.

3. Spend about 5-10 minutes familiarizing yourself with both the 5/8 AC line and the 5/16 AC line. Study both lines well and get familiar with all of the areas where the lines are exposed that you'll be applying the pieces of insulation hose.

4. There is no right or wrong way to go about applying the hose. Just be careful to take your time, be patient and don't let any pieces fall into the engine compartment or end up scratching the body paint by mishandling one of the tools. While I didn't have any problems, it looks like there are areas that would be hard to get to recover a piece that's dropped.

5. It is best to apply individual pieces on areas that are straight versus trying to bend the hose to conform to bends in the line. Use the garden cutters to easily cut the various pieces you need. You can either use the measuring tape or just eye it. I ended up eyeing all of my pieces as you'll find it difficult to maneuver the measuring tape in the tighter areas behind the engine. You can also use the needle-noise pliers to further fix the position of the hose as you get it applied to the lines.

4. Here are pictures of what the areas should look like once completed and covered:

ADDITIONAL NOTES-

Here is a link to a video where I briefly outline the areas on both lines as well as covering a couple additional tips you'll want to know before attempting the modification. https://vimeo.com/129384129

The entire process took me about 1-hour, that includes prep time, studying the lines, performing the installation, and cleanup. The installation itself is about a 15-20 min process. Also note that as of yet, I have not applied any type of clamps or tie-downs to secure the hose. I plan to do that tomorrow. I just need to locate some metal clamps that open completely as I want something very durable and colorless.

THE RESULTS?

As of this afternoon, I took a 30-min drive and noticed a drastic improvement. It essentially has eliminated all aspects of the "A/C Moan" in all it's various tones and timbres that I exhibited in my RLX. This includes both the low and hi "groaning" at low speeds, as well as the high pitched "howling and whistling" that you'd get at both low and high speeds. The A/C now appears to operate completely free of what I would call any "mechanical" noise, and you now only get the smooth (pleasing) sound of the air flow coming from the vents. Funny...just how you would expect a luxury car A/C system to operate...

I will continue to monitor this over the course of this week and report back again next weekend to verify that this has indeed permanently fixed the issue before I adding my final comments on this issue as a whole.
Thank you so much for the detail post and the pictures! Unfortunately i can't seem to be able to watch the video......it says that it's a private video......
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-03-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry about that gang. You should be able to view it now. When prompted for a password, use "acurazine".

pgeorg (05-31-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Excellent work. I am looking forward to your continued feedback on the noise, but I suspect it will continue to be gone.
And such a great second example of confirming the AC moan/rattle cause and solution - and as we see, a similar fix has been implemented by the factory on the SH model.
Likely the noise reduction has been accomplished in full with your fix, and a few ties/clamps on the hose segments will help lock in the tube damping for the long term.

And your points about being a somewhat straightforward fix are right on, once you have helped pave the road a bit smoother with your post information.
The following 2 users liked this post by KenRLX:
holografique (06-01-2015), pgeorg (06-02-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
seems we all need to take our cars to you to get them fixed right
Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
A big thank you Holographique for the detailed instructions and video. This is definitely something I will attempt myself to address the unwanted sounds in my system too.

This may seem like a stupid question - but where did you get the hoses? Are they a special kind of automotive hose (therefore needing an automotive parts store) or a local hardware store?
RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-03-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Most major name auto parts stores sell the hose in bulk and cut what you need. Or perhaps it comes in a package of approx. 5 ft or so. Ask for heater hose, or fuel line hose... either/or is designed for the under hood temps. Given the hose sizes, the 5/16 is likely 'fuel line' and the 5/8 is likely 'heater'.
I found some bulk hoses by the foot for my fix.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I picked up the hoses at the local Advanced Auto Parts store. Like Ken stated, they usually sell in bulk and will cut it right there. So you can just give them the specific size, type, and length needed.

I think I paid $43 total for both pieces. 5ft ended up being a little bit more than was needed for the larger 5/16 heater hose since there is not nearly as much tube exposed on the 5/16 AC line.

Good news: the fix continues to work properly and absolutely 0 mechanical noise from the AC system.
The following 2 users liked this post by holografique:
pgeorg (06-03-2015), RLX-Sport Hybrid (06-03-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Thanks again to Holografique and KenRLX for this idea and the detailed instructions. I visited my local NAPA store and did the fix as per the instructions.

I took the car for a quick spin and the AC was beautifully quiet. I'll be sure to update everyone if the fix doesn't last for me.

This however is a perfect example of a forum at work. People coming together with a common thread for the purpose of sharing knowledge and expertise. This is a simple fix to a common problem that the dealer refused to acknowledge!
The following 3 users liked this post by Limelight:
holografique (06-17-2015), hondamore (06-17-2015), pgeorg (06-17-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Reporting back in here as well, that after almost 3 weeks of operation, it continues to operate quietly.

Ultimately for me, this is yet another ding for me against Acura. Something soo simple to fix, yet they can't even address it properly, and it's their flagship vehicle.
The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
hondamore (06-18-2015), Malibu Flyer (06-19-2015), pgeorg (06-18-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank You KenRLX for giving us the fix and instructions for the AC whine fix, and Thank You Holografique for confirming it and the excellent detailed implementation of the fix!
I had some time yesterday to do it for myself, but i only did it to the "Low" (the 5/8') side. I did that to see if it would work, since the RLX Sport Hybrid has the insulatation only on the 5/8' side, and it does NOT has the AC whine as of yet. Well i am happy to report that after my 200 mile trip from Boston, the AC is completely quite. I will update in a week or so, to see if this still holds true.
Oh by the way my 2014 MDX also has the insulation on the "Low" (5/8') side, from the factory.....
holografique (10-31-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Always good to get additional confirmation. And thanks for sharing your observations about possible mods to the corrective actions.

I would like to point out that perhaps, in a few months or so, the 'grip' of those hose segments may weaken a bit as they take a set to the shape of the AC tubes. Then the noise damping may be reduced.

So if the fix is working, all is good. If you notice a bit of noise creeping back in to the AC, some tie wraps around those hose segments would restore the snug fit to the metal AC pipes and the resultant noise reduction. I used some plastic tie wraps rated for high temps, but the very low cost black nylon tie wraps from the hardware store would work likely for at least a couple of years. After that, just put on some new tie wraps if needed,,,!!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenRLX
Always good to get additional confirmation. And thanks for sharing your observations about possible mods to the corrective actions.

I would like to point out that perhaps, in a few months or so, the 'grip' of those hose segments may weaken a bit as they take a set to the shape of the AC tubes. Then the noise damping may be reduced.

So if the fix is working, all is good. If you notice a bit of noise creeping back in to the AC, some tie wraps around those hose segments would restore the snug fit to the metal AC pipes and the resultant noise reduction. I used some plastic tie wraps rated for high temps, but the very low cost black nylon tie wraps from the hardware store would work likely for at least a couple of years. After that, just put on some new tie wraps if needed,,,!!
Thank you KenRLX! I will certainly use the high heat tie wraps, I am sure i will find them on Amazon. Although this is such a small annoyance, it makes all the difference in the word to me now that is gone! I drive long distances, and many times i just like to drive with the radio off. It was starting to bother me more and more......so again THANK YOU! I am certain the service department would NOT have been able to fix this.....not important enough......
Old 06-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Another update/suggestion, I found metal zip ties at the local Advanced Auto Parts. Had no idea they made zip ties out of metal.

They worked well and were easy to clip the excess wrap using a pair of cable/wire clippers.

Can't get more permanent than metal zip ties!
pgeorg (06-23-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just checking back in to report long-term status on this fix. Still quiet as a champ.
The following 4 users liked this post by holografique:
fsmith (11-01-2015), George Knighton (11-01-2015), neuronbob (11-01-2015), pgeorg (11-02-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Took my 2016 PAWS in yesterday for a similar whine as described by others . Most noticeable at about 35 to 40 MPH when any road noise is minimal along with the fan on the 2nd notch low side so the air conditioning itself is not masking the noise. Service Manager road along and while it was not as obvious as before I think he finally heard the issue. The intensity seems to vary for what reason I don't know. I didn't have time to leave the car so this remains an issue at this hour.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I missed this thread the first time around. Thanks, holographique! Awesome documentation.
holografique (11-01-2015)
Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Acura RLX PAWS high pitched whistling w. AC on

My 2015 Acura RLX PAWS that makes a loud high pitched whistling sound when the AC is on and I accelerate the car. I brought it into the dealer several times. The mechanic acknowledged the problem and found if the air conditioner is off there is no problem. The dealer tells me there is nothing they can do because the problem has not been widely reported, and work to replace the AC will use parts that have the same problem. The car will be two years old this October, It has about 12,500 miles.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 PM
Instructor

JB,
Acura knows exactly what is causing the AC moan. Specifically, the 'fix' is to wrap sections of the bare AC tubing with rubber hose.
Ain't it strange that ALL RLX-SH come from the factory with AC tubing with rubber hose covering, and the PAWS does not!
PAWS owners have the problem, SH owners do not.

If your problem is as was mine and several others, the fix in this forum will quiet down your system very well.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 17-032 - A/C High-Pitched Whine in the TSB sticky thread.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I have another issue with my 2016 PAWS. Replacing the compressor seems to have solved my original issue regarding a pronounced whine. The new sound is more like a fan case rub that can be heard a speeds below 30MPH. After that the road noise will drown it out. It stops making this sound when the AC is turned off. Drove the car yesterday with the Service Manager and he commented that this was a known problem and there is no fix it. WTF? Anyone else have this experience as this maybe my last Acura if that;s the best they can do.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Yep, the RLX AC compressor does seem to make more noise than other cars. The moan/whine is one source. But my particular RLX has a kind of rattle/grinding noise separate from the moan/whine.
I do understand that the AC pump will make some additional noise when engaged, but the difference in the RLX seems more pronounced than the other cars I have or have owned.