2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link. It looks nice to me but it's nothing that makes me want to rush out and trade in my current SH. It just looks like a bloated TLX to me - nothing to really make it stand out. I don't see that as putting RLX in the sales 'win' column.

I do however like the rear improvements a lot - tailights, diffuser and visible exhaust. Also the lower door chrome accents are nice.

Not a fan of the lighter steering wheel though - it would be a pain to keep clean long term and reminds me of the Toyota Sienna. Will be interesting to see what everyone thinks and more importantly, what the market thinks...
The following users liked this post:
pgeorg (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Exclamation Yay!

As someone who has liked Acura's latest refreshes {ILX, RDX, MDX, TLX & even the Accord} I pretty much knew what was coming & that I would like it. I have always thought the luxury-look came mostly from the attention to detail, something Mercedes does well IMHO even tho some people say all the chrome & what-not can be garish.

In addition to making it look more aggressive, they did a lot of things that I was wanting like the return of chrome door handles, chrome strip on the side, redesigned seats & a new
black color {the word majestic makes me think that there will be purple glitter}. I like the new wheels as I have learned from the darker rims on the MDX hybrid, they do not show dirt as much as my bright 2014 RLX rims.

Adding a red & blue to the color palette is also nice although I am not wild about that new interior color with wood that still looks fake; it looks just as light as seacoast so I ponder if it is replacing it. Surprised that they are ditching the always-black steering wheel thing as I know from experience, lighter colored steering wheel leather gets dingy fast. The new start/stop button is interesting: it looks silver that now lights up red? Kind of surprised that there is no Android Auto. Wish that they had done more to the interior but it is just a refresh ...

Only 1 trim level that comes in PAWS or SH-SH-AWD seems logical @ this point but I assume that since they think that 40% of sales will be the hybrid, either they are going to vastly increase production or they expect this model to continue selling in low #s.

Tempted to trade my 2014 PAWS for an 2018 Hybrid but I assume that since I have only had mine for 3 years, I would lose a lot of $$$. If I had a crystal ball @ the time, I may have leased instead of paying cash. Oh well .... I ponder how long before the FMC?
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
sooththetruth (08-10-2017), wilspainar (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:32 AM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Very Impressive
Old 08-10-2017, 06:12 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up Love it!!!

I have to say this is looking really good, better even than I expected. Now I have to decide: Silver or Blue?

Here are some screen shots from the video for those not patient enough:

2018 RLX-SH - front
2018 RLX-SH - side
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 AM
Instructor

And finally, they highlight the shared hybrid performance elements with the NSX. Finally!

The highly produced intro video also shades in the NSX as a precursor to some of the RLX views. Nicely done.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

Talking Blue

Originally Posted by JonFo
I have to say this is looking really good, better even than I expected. Now I have to decide: Silver or Blue?
My vote is for for blue bc silver cars tend to blend in with the chrome accents. I prefer the chrome contrasting with a darker color. Silver does show less dirt, however. Also, I assume that blue will only come with the gray interior while silver will give you the option of gray or black if that matters. Unless Acura finally starts offering more color combos ........

Old 08-10-2017, 06:41 AM
Instructor

^^^ Thanks, leaning that way for some of the same reasons. I would go for a grey interior, as summer sun here in GA turns a black interior into an oven. Also, I like a lighter tone. Current RL has a tan interior, and I love it.

Plus my dream NSX is blue, so harmony in the garage
Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
Thanks for sharing the link. It looks nice to me but it's nothing that makes me want to rush out and trade in my current SH. It just looks like a bloated TLX to me - nothing to really make it stand out. I don't see that as putting RLX in the sales 'win' column.

I do however like the rear improvements a lot - tailights, diffuser and visible exhaust. Also the lower door chrome accents are nice.

Not a fan of the lighter steering wheel though - it would be a pain to keep clean long term and reminds me of the Toyota Sienna. Will be interesting to see what everyone thinks and more importantly, what the market thinks...
I complete agree with everything you said! My 2016 SH still looks and performs great!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
why cant the RLX get the NSX front grille?
why cant the whole line up get the sporty NSX like grille?!

this diamond beak pentagon bird thing is not attractive.
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
2011TL (08-11-2017), pgeorg (08-10-2017), Philisophe (10-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Holy shit, great job! That's a HUGE improvement, although I don't know if it's going to fix the sales issue...

Originally Posted by EE4Life

•Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) added to standard AcuraWatch Safety Suite
That sounds interesting, does anyone know what it does? Glad to see Acura is skipping the 9ZF and going straight to the 10AT. That's crazy to think about to me since it's DOUBLE the gears in my car, WOW!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I am still having problems with my PAWS model and I won't ever get another PAWS model again. I pretty much like everything about the car although I am not sure about the light color'd steering wheel now that TSX69 mentioned it. Steering wheels do get dirty pretty fast. Red or White would be my color choice and I actually like that seacoast color in the Red exterior.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
why cant the whole line up get the sporty NSX like grille?!

this diamond beak pentagon bird thing is not attractive.
This has always been my question as well. Fib's NSX looks INCREDIBLE. The grille isn't extremely attractive (even if it is 100% better than the previous iteration) and now every car is going to look the same. I appreciate Acura's effort. It looks a ton better than the last gen. That being said, I would rather all the cars look related to the halo car than all look the same.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Racer

Ok I will admit, that Blue color is nice as well.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Me Want!

That car looks sweet! I am getting a red one, I'm sold.
Me too, though the blue looks sexy as well. Just sent the video to Mrs. FatNoah and her comment was: "It’s frigging amazing!". 9 year old FatNoah Jr. agrees. The FatNoah family is (grudgingly, on my part) planning moving out of downtown Boston in the next couple years. This car will be the price Mrs. FatNoah has to pay to get her house in the 'burbs!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The aesthetics of that grille work only if there is little under the grille.

The problem with doing that on the big car is that it would leave big blank spaces where you'd still have to have *car* because of passive safety requirements related to hitting personnel who are not in vehicles.

If you made the grille big enough to makeup for that, the car wold be all one big honkin' grille up front.

:-)

Also, remember that the huge badge disguises the Honda radar emitter. Honda's radar isn't designed to be high up in the windshield where the cameras are.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
hondamore (08-10-2017), pgeorg (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Grandpa

The new sporty wheels are an improvement, too, IMHO.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by TSX69
I ponder how long before the FMC?
I'm still thinking model year 2020.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Limelight
I don't see that as putting RLX in the sales 'win' column.
Even if the car became suddenly popular, they still could not manufacture enough of them.

The only way that I can see that they'll ever make enough Legend-class vehicles to try for a sales winner is if they reconfigure a factory in North America to accomplish that.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by EE4Life
GLOBAL REVEAL: 2018 Acura RLX
GLOBAL REVEAL: 2018 Acura RLX
Watched the video. Thanks very much for posting it.

Definitely moves in the right direction. If they can offer these changes at approximately the same MSRP, the RLX in the USA will present itself as a value leader for people looking for this kind of car.

An LKAS system that doesn't need for you to come up to 45 mph will be a godsend to people like me. :-)

But, speaking of people like me....

To be honest, it is hard to take seriously an executive who's wearing shoes that are brown instead of cordovan, who's wearing light colored skinny jeans and a suit jacket being worn as a blazer, and which is at least two sizes too small.

We need to be comfortable with what we are seeing, and if you are not comfortable in your own clothes and not looking like somebody we'd run across ourselves in our everyday lives, then that is not a good part of a marketing strategy.

It seems obvious to an old man who lives in Virginia, but might not seem obvious to a younger person living in California.

If you're trying to sell to somebody like me, although I'm attracted to the idea of the car, the image you projected was not a good one.
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
2011TL (08-11-2017), pgeorg (08-11-2017), sooththetruth (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Release

Acura Reveals Striking New Design for 2018 Acura RLX; Debut Set for Monterey Automotive Week - Acura News

Acura Reveals Striking New Design for 2018 Acura RLX; Debut Set for Monterey Automotive Week

Aug 10, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • 2018 Acura RLX adopts new Acura design direction including signature diamond pentagon grille
  • Supercar inspired 377-horsepower RLX Sport Hybrid with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ has been further optimized based on NSX learnings
  • Standard AcuraWatch™ enhanced with Traffic Jam Assist, an Acura first
Acura today unveiled a redesigned 2018 Acura RLX reflecting the brand’s new Precision Crafted Performance design direction to create a more substantial presence for Acura’s top-of-the-line luxury sports sedan. The 2018 Acura RLX will make its public debut during the prestigious Monterey Automotive Week, August 15-19 on the Monterey peninsula. The new RLX incorporates design cues to showcase its performance capabilities, including Acura’s signature diamond pentagon grille, a more sculpted hood, new wheel designs, bold, newly designed LED taillights, dual exhaust finishers and a gloss black rear diffuser.

The 2018 Acura RLX is the most sophisticated and best performing Acura sedan ever, with Sport Hybrid Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD™) technology, shared with the NSX supercar, that creates a powerful and precise driving experience unmatched in the segment. Acura has simplified the RLX trim structure to make the brand’s innovative Sport Hybrid technology more desirable and accessible streamlining the offering to 2 well-equipped variants. The new 2018 Acura RLX will go on sale in November.

The 377 total system horsepowersup1 RLX Sport Hybrid seamlessly integrates a direct-injected V-6 with 3 electric motors and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ for instant acceleration, precise handling, outstanding all-weather performance and excellent fuel economy. Based on developments from the NSX, the RLX Sport Hybrid powertrain and dynamic handling has been further optimized.

The 310-horsepower RLX with Precision All-Wheel Steer™ is now mated to a new 10-speed Automatic Transmission (10AT) delivering a more refined driving experience, as well as improved acceleration and passing times.

“This redesign of the 2018 Acura RLX is transformational, creating road presence and styling that better reflect underlying performance capabilities of the vehicle,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president & general manager.

Standard features on the 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid include premium Krell Audio System, Surround View Camera, parking sensors, LED fog lights, remote engine start, ventilated and heated front seats, heated rear seats and steering wheel and more.
The 2018 RLX features the unique AcuraWatch™ suite of technologies, as standard equipment, and has been enhanced with the addition of Traffic Jam Assist, a 1st for Acura. Working in conjunction with Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow, Traffic Jam Assist helps reduce driver stress in highly congested traffic situations by helping keep the vehicle in its lane and a set interval behind a car detected ahead.

AcuraWatch™ also includes Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with automatic emergency braking, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). AcuraWatch uses a millimeter wave radar and monocular camera sensing technology to detect other vehicles as well as lane markings and can help intervene to prevent or mitigate the severity of a collision.

The 2018 Acura RLX is complimented by 3 new exterior colors including 2 premium paint offerings – Brilliant Red Metallic and Majestic Black Pearl. Inside, the 2018 Acura RLX receives upgraded materials and touchpoints including a completely redesigned seat featuring high-contrast piping and stitching, as well as a new Espresso interior option, which adds sophistication to an interior with class-leading space and comfort.

The 2018 Acura RLX will be featured at multiple events throughout Monterey Automotive Week including the Carmel-By-The Sea Concours on the Avenue on Tuesday, August 15 and The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering, on Friday, August 18.

For More Information
Consumer information is available at
http://www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit
Facebook Post
. Additional media information including pricing, features and high-resolution photography is available at http://www.acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, an original approach to technology and design that creates a new driving experience.
The Acura lineup features 6 adistinctive models – the RLX premium, luxury sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, and the 7-passenger Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling 3-row luxury SUV. Last spring, Acura launched its next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as a new and pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Racer

I wonder if current 2017 models would be cheaper now. I did see a 2017 selling for $46,000 on auto trader.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by wilspainar
I wonder if current 2017 models would be cheaper now. I did see a 2017 selling for $46,000 on auto trader.
See post #719 for the 2017 model current incentives.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
honestly Acura is on fire...I am very impressed by the changes. Good job Acura!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Red face Lights

Have to see this in person but I am not wild about the way the headlights look in this pic:

Could just be the angle as it does not look as awkward in other shots. Nice improvement but other than an initial spike, I would be surprised if this pushes the RLX to anything above 200 units a month. Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Just a couple of observations merely looking at the pictures. Don't like the red color and don't like the wheels. Really like the front end and the chrome accents. Also like the piping on the seats. I'd have to see it in person to really get excited about it. But I like what I see.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The new front looks great, and so do the tail lights. They gave the car a little pizzazz. I don't like those wheels, though.

Traffic Jam Assist? Do tell....

And dangit, it's way past time they tried to really connect the Sport Hybrid to the NSX. Nice job, Acura!

Last edited by neuronbob; 08-10-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
lol at nsx inspired while flashing the exterior of the car....doesnt look anything like the nsx...
if anything should have flashed or alluded to the hybrid motors
Old 08-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Traffic Jam Assist

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Traffic Jam Assist? Do tell....
From what I can tell, it sounds like it basically leaves on features like ACC and LKAS at slow speeds.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
From what I can tell, it sounds like it basically leaves on features like ACC and LKAS at slow speeds.
Found a blurb on Traffic Jam Assist . . . . . . .

Acura and ADAS : Automotive Design & Production
The following 2 users liked this post by moose66:
hondamore (08-10-2017), TSX69 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

lol at nsx inspired while flashing the exterior of the car....doesnt look anything like the nsx...
if anything should have flashed or alluded to the hybrid motors
Baby steps, man, baby steps! At least they mentioned the NSX and RLX in the same sentence and ad.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Acura RLX Gets Fresh Looks, New 10-Speed Automatic for 2018 » AutoGuide.com News

10 speeds are nice. The new wheels are not.

Last edited by pcloadletter; 08-10-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks like they are now offering it in the blue that neuronbob scored the tlx a-spec in. If they pair that with an ebony interior I may be a looker but not sure if I am a buyer yet since none of the specs have really changed (sorry but would never consider the paws) - will likely hold out for a complete redesign. And what's with the led pipes on the headlights? I assume they now stand in as the drls from the promo pic but those elements are just being overused nowadays... when you have actual led headlights I never saw the point of adding led pipes also. To me it just seems too much like a knockoff of other brands (i.e. all the followers of Audi when that design element first came about). I even recall Acura poking a little fun at those effects with the line of having "functional" led headlights as opposed to stylistic but that's a small complaint. Overall it looks like a step in the right direction but need to see in person.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Very pleased to see the redesign. Althought they did it with the Civic, I can't see this only lasting a year. That's a lot of money spent on design and working with the suppliers to produce all these new parts. The tech is still state of the art. I just don't see it lasting a year, but what do I know.

I really like the redesign. It is what the RLX needed (not that the prior design was bad, it was just 'bland'). Would love to grab one of these off lease - 65k is just too much for my pocket new. My 2005 RL is still hanging in there.

Chris
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
this article makes it sound like the Hybrid is first introduced in the 2018.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

I also saw another review that said the RLX Hybrid learned lessons from the NSX Hybrid introduced earlier
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

I like it - looks good, but very happy with my MDX for now.
I'm pleased to see Krell. Sales guy told me they were not offering Krell anymore. It was the best audio I've ever heard. ELS is so inferior
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Guys I'm really confused. I thought the RLX SH always made 377hp? Why is it being mentioned as though it's an improvement? Am I missing something here?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Guys I'm really confused. I thought the RLX SH always made 377hp? Why is it being mentioned as though it's an improvement? Am I missing something here?
I have read it somewhere that they've retuned the hybird system while the hp rating stays the same.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

They are effectively re-introducing the car and branding it as having NSX DNA for a lot less money. And they're right, as far as the drivetrain goes. 377 system hp really hives this big car some get-up-and-go. I kinda miss that with the TLX, to be honest.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Safety Car

Thats exactly what I was saying by the link. Its like the 2018 is a brand new car
Old 08-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Does this car still not have Apply Carplay or Android Auto? That's really a disappointment if so, I figured it would get the same as the TLX. How can something that's an option most Honda's not be in there Acura's?

Quick Reply: 2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)