2017 RLX P-AWS/Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up 2017 RLX P-AWS/Tech

So I am thinking about buying this RLX that has an MSRP of $55,400. The dealership is willing to sell it to me for $42,000 since RLX's don't sell well as well as the all new 2018's coming out soon I presume. So am I getting a good deal or should I ask for more off?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You are getting an excellent deal on a new RLX PAWS Tech. Go git it! You may even be able to talk them down further given that RLXs are just eating into dealers' floor plans at this point, but $42k is pretty good. The only thing better would be a PAWS Advance for that price.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Racer

^^^I am going to buy this car for sure. Just didn't know if I could haggle for more dollars off. The PAWS with advance are like unicorns here. Its either the PAWS Tech or sports hybrid in my area. Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Well get the sport hybrid then if available.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by miner
Well get the sport hybrid then if available.
Its over $10K more and my budget is under $50K.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Thats a great deal. I would try to haggle another $500 to $1000 off. RLX at that price is a bargain and great buy. My wife loves hers and I enjoy driving it when I get the opportunity.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nexx
Thats a great deal. I would try to haggle another $500 to $1000 off. RLX at that price is a bargain and great buy. My wife loves hers and I enjoy driving it when I get the opportunity.
Isnt it funny that this car doesn't sell well, yet everyone I know personally or online seem to love theirs! I am going to see if I can get some freebies thrown in as well like the all weather floor mats, trunk tray and cargo net.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
The reviews of the P-AWS RLX have actually for the most part not been favourable. The biggest gripe was the poor suspension which has been rectified as far as I'm aware since the initial launch - so in fairness to you, the 2017 I'm sure is just fine (I haven't driven a 2017 P-AWS).

I owned a 2014 P-AWS Advance and although it was a wonderfully equipped vehicle, it did not drive well on rough surfaces at all. It was horrible actually and the 19's didn't help it. For a variety of reasons, I upgraded to a Sport Hybrid Advance and it's an amazing vehicle. I liked the P-AWS but I love the SH. In hindsight, I wish I had test driven the SH initially - as it would have saved me some money vs. having to dispose of the P-AWS to acquire the SH. I simply didn't even know it existed until I joined this forum and started reading about it.

I appreciate the SH is more than you're looking to spend, and perhaps you have driven the SH and the P-AWS is all you need. I would just caution you to try both before you buy either. At least this way you won't have regrets down the road as $42K is still a lot of money any way you slice it.

Regardless, don't expect to get high-fives from your buddies at the country club with either RLX. It's simply a car that most don't even notice on the road. I personally like the styling and the fact that the car is a sleeper - but those who want the brand recognition of a BMW, Merc or Lexus will want something else... That said, I would still love the RLX to wow me and make me fall in love every time I look at it. That's not how I would describe my current SH or the 2018 for that matter. But the SH does wow me every time I put it in Sport mode and play around with the paddles. And every person I've let drive my car is completely blown away with it too.

Good luck with your purchase!
The following 5 users liked this post by Limelight:
getakey (09-20-2017), hondamore (09-19-2017), Malibu Flyer (09-19-2017), neuronbob (09-19-2017), pgeorg (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Limelight
Regardless, don't expect to get high-fives from your buddies at the country club with either RLX. It's simply a car that most don't even notice on the road. I personally like the styling and the fact that the car is a sleeper - but those who want the brand recognition of a BMW, Merc or Lexus will want something else... That said, I would still love the RLX to wow me and make me fall in love every time I look at it. That's not how I would describe my current SH or the 2018 for that matter. But the SH does wow me every time I put it in Sport mode and play around with the paddles. And every person I've let drive my car is completely blown away with it too.

Well said, especially with the styling and how the car is a sleeper.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Limelight
The reviews of the P-AWS RLX have actually for the most part not been favourable. The biggest gripe was the poor suspension which has been rectified as far as I'm aware since the initial launch - so in fairness to you, the 2017 I'm sure is just fine (I haven't driven a 2017 P-AWS).

I owned a 2014 P-AWS Advance and although it was a wonderfully equipped vehicle, it did not drive well on rough surfaces at all. It was horrible actually and the 19's didn't help it. For a variety of reasons, I upgraded to a Sport Hybrid Advance and it's an amazing vehicle. I liked the P-AWS but I love the SH. In hindsight, I wish I had test driven the SH initially - as it would have saved me some money vs. having to dispose of the P-AWS to acquire the SH. I simply didn't even know it existed until I joined this forum and started reading about it.

I appreciate the SH is more than you're looking to spend, and perhaps you have driven the SH and the P-AWS is all you need. I would just caution you to try both before you buy either. At least this way you won't have regrets down the road as $42K is still a lot of money any way you slice it.

Thanks for your input. Now I'm going to have to drive the sports hybrid and SH-AWD. Tsk Tsk Tsk. 😁😁
Old 09-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kingofire
Thanks for your input. Now I'm going to have to drive the sports hybrid and SH-AWD. Tsk Tsk Tsk. 😁😁
Haha. Sorry! You might thank me later but your wallet will curse me.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

As a benchmark a local dealer offered a 2017 Adv PAWS for $48688; not great but maybe a SH can be had for $50. It is well worth +8K over a Tech.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Just a suggestion here - why not scope for a cpo SHAWD Advance from 2016 or 2017? That would likely put you at or below 50k with extra warranty coverage and (imo) much more fun ride. I check cargurus every so often for current prices and they are out there.

Good luck on the acquisition.

Last edited by AP8ESQ; 09-19-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
hondamore (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

If you drive a Sport Hybrid RLX, you will find a way to buy one....so I wouldn't do it.

Even so, the PAWS Tech at $42k is a great deal. You have a bigger trunk and much larger back seat than the TLX A-Spec I recently traded for; my lease for that car was based on $42.9k (MSRP $45.7k). You have feature parity with the 2014 RLX Advance in the 2017 Tech. Essentially, you're only missing the 360 degree cameras and a few other items you can likely live without.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
You can buy a new 2017 SH for $50k, CPO 2016 SH are going from $40-$50k. I can't wait to unload my current PAWS but it is a 2014. I would not waste your money on a PAWS model regardless what deal the dealer is going to give you.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Racer

Hey, thanks for all the input guys. One of the things I look at before buying a car is also ease of maintenance. The one attractive part about PAWS is that there is no transfer case and differential to worry about. I plan to keep this car for the long term so only having to do oil changes every 10,000 miles with good synthetic oil and only having to worry about the transmission fluid is very attractive to me as I perform my own maintenance.

With that said I am going to go test drive a RLX sports hybrid. Geez god help me lol!

Again thanks for all the input guys!
Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Kingofire, when you test drive the Sport Hybrid, don't forget that the car normally starts in 2nd gear. At least once if you are at a red light, you should try switching to sport mode, use the paddles to manually select first gear, press the brake hold button so you can take your foot off the brake and hold it just off the accelerator and when the light turns green, press accelerator, be ready to upshift with the paddles and HAVE FUN. Warning, don't exceed the speed limit and a special warning that this activity often leads to buying the Sport Hybrid.

I second AP8ESQ's suggestion of looking into CPO Sport Hybrids as an option if you can find one in your price range.

Good luck, have fun.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
Kingofire, when you test drive the Sport Hybrid, don't forget that the car normally starts in 2nd gear. At least once if you are at a red light, you should try switching to sport mode, use the paddles to manually select first gear, press the brake hold button so you can take your foot off the brake and hold it just off the accelerator and when the light turns green, press accelerator, be ready to upshift with the paddles and HAVE FUN. Warning, don't exceed the speed limit and a special warning that this activity often leads to buying the Sport Hybrid.

I second AP8ESQ's suggestion of looking into CPO Sport Hybrids as an option if you can find one in your price range.

Good luck, have fun.
Those are all great points. Thanks!! I just checked into the 2016 Sports Hybrid RLX and there is only one available in 150 mile radius. Emailed the dealership to see what kind of discounts I can get on it. We shall see.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
To buy a Sport Hybrid you might have to open your radius as not too many of them to buy since they are limited. Also there is no transfer case on the SH so maintenance wise it is pretty much the same as a PAWS.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wilspainar
To buy a Sport Hybrid you might have to open your radius as not too many of them to buy since they are limited. Also there is no transfer case on the SH so maintenance wise it is pretty much the same as a PAWS.
Yes I am finding this out the hard way. I did a 150 mile radius search and there were about 4 available and all but one are Black on ebony which I don't want for sure.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Sport Hybrids are rare indeed and that can cause massive variation in sales prices - be sure to shop around and be sure to stay in your financial comfort zone. They need to sell the car more than you need to buy it, so hang tough on pricing and be prepared to walk away if you don't get the deal that is right for YOU.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
If you're willing to buy a one-way flight to KC, there are two Advance Hybrids for sale there (two different dealers) for 43K and 46K. One is Graphite, one is white. One has 6K miles, the other has 17K.

Good luck with the search.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

^^That would make for one hell of a getting acquainted trip! Been there, done that. Although not in my RLX. Flew to Houston from Raleigh to buy a car years ago. It was a fun drive home! Good luck king.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Lots of good advice on this thread.. this forum has a great membership.

IMO, I would strongly advise against ANY new PAWS vehicle. (Well, perhaps if the dealer dropped that car yet another $10-15k)
There are too many cars in that price range that are now far, far superior. Many of which have been substantially upgraded with model changes just in the last year or two. (Ahem.. accord???) The RLX was launched in early 2013, and that is a long time ago even in car years.
If considering a used PAWS 2016 or newer, you are pretty much in the 'drivers seat' regarding price, despite whatever wishful tale the dealer is spinning. Avoid any previous years.

The SH however, could be a great deal if you can find a used CPO 2016 or 17. Avoid prior years. If considering new, that drive line tech has to be worth a lot to you.
You will gain some decent drive train tech, but lose out on infotainment tech and trunk space.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ Excellent advice. Trust us on this when it comes to the PAWS models. There's plenty of use-cases and examples right here on this forum why you should stay away from any PAWS model. It's simply not a wise investment considering the far superior options out there now for the same money. Even Acura's own lineup (ILX/TLX) offer far better quality and experience when it comes to the RLX, and cost far less.

As Ken said, if you insist on getting a PAWS model, then you are absolutely in the driver seat and should be able to demand far less based on the vehicles track record and history for being sub-par, and not just based on critique, but based on measurable product and design quality.

The SH is an entirely different beast all together, and is much closer to representing what Acura originally intended the RLX to be.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
If you're willing to buy a one-way flight to KC, there are two Advance Hybrids for sale there (two different dealers) for 43K and 46K. One is Graphite, one is white. One has 6K miles, the other has 17K.

Now that is a killer deal. $43k / $46k for SH Advanced models is ridiculously good.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Racer

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I'll keep y'all posted on what happens. Against popular advice I may go with PAWs
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Pro

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I'll keep y'all posted on what happens. Against popular advice I may go with PAWs
At the end of the day, you have to do what makes you happy. If you see value in the P-AWS, then that is ultimately your decision. If you gave 10 people $100 and asked them to report back on what they bought, they'd all bring back 10 different things...

I'm sorry if I stirred the pot and added a layer of confusion by suggesting you test drive an SH before you decide. I can only advise based on my past experiences of having owned a P-AWS and quickly realizing that I needed an SH. They are completely different animals as others have said.

Although my work pays for my fuel costs so it's not as important to me personally, I will say that the SH is far better on gas than my P-AWS was (which is good in it's own right) so you can expect fuel savings. A full tank of gas seems to last me forever (unless I drive aggressively in Sport mode of course). The trunk is also significantly smaller in the SH if that is important to you. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

I have enjoyed driving my PWAS now for four years. My main gripe has been the suspension but that has been worked out.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD

*Bob comes surprisingly close to booking flight, closer than he thought he would, before remembering he is in a lease now*
Old 09-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes I am finding this out the hard way. I did a 150 mile radius search and there were about 4 available and all but one are Black on ebony which I don't want for sure.
Nonsense! Expand the search to national! When I got my SH it was from a dealer in IL and I had it shipped to CT for about $600. Car carrier pulled right up to the front of the house and I walked out in my slippers to inspect and sign off on the car with the driver. Easy peasy! Then (aside from replacing the battery) it has been go time ever since...

I will second the launch in actual first gear as well... you can really get off the line in a hurry when some dipstick in a 335i or A4 or E350 or Camry or (insert car here) next to you thinks he has a faster car and gives you "the look". Not that I would ever do such a thing...
Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Racer

Well maybe this is a sign. Called the dealer yesterday to test drive the PAWS RLX and it was sold. Back to square one and now time to find the right SH-AWD car. This should be fun!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Kingofire
Your initial post poked me into inquiring with my dealer about a new PAWs Adv. what he had on his lot I did not like the color combo. He asked what I was looking for, called the regional rep and he located one on the west coast just in from Japan. By the time I moved on it, less than 24 hrs, it was gone. But, a SH-SH-AWD was there too. Now on the way to Houston. Ask your dealer to reach out to the regional rep. Worth a try
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Racer

Update: So I listened to y'all and now I'm a owner of a 2016 Bellanova Pearl/Seacoast RLX Sports hybrid with 13,300 miles. Got it for $43,000 out the door. The prior owner had good taste and got the illuminated door sills for accessories and not so good taste by having body side mouldings and mud guards. What a great car to drive!! Loving it for sure.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR STEERING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. MASSIVE THANKS!
The following 8 users liked this post by kingofire:
fsmith (09-26-2017), hondamore (09-25-2017), JM2010 SH-AWD (09-26-2017), Limelight (09-26-2017), neuronbob (09-25-2017), pgeorg (09-26-2017), RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-26-2017), wilspainar (09-26-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Pro

Haha - awesome! Congrats! Love the colour combo too.

The mud guards to me anyway complete the look and will help keep her clean in inclement weather.

Looking forward to hearing of your impressions as you drive it more. Welcome to the exclusive club!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations kingofire!!! You got a steal of a deal on a great car. I look forward to your comments once you get to drive it for a while. Enjoy!!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

Congrats. I currently have the seacoast leather in my 14 Adv and love it. Clean and condition twice a month.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:31 PM
Safety Car

must provide pics
Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Congrats. Misfortune is only a temporary setback. You just proved that! Happy and safe driving!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 PM
Racer

Pics

Originally Posted by miner
must provide pics
To show body side mouldings

Original owner had this 3D mats ordered. They are slippery!
The following 2 users liked this post by kingofire:
hondamore (09-25-2017), wilspainar (09-26-2017)