2014 PWS front suspension repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by wilspainar
So the sport hybrids have a different front suspension it seems since they are not on that TSB.
Originally Posted by pgeorg
I don't think the SH has different suspension components, I believe the extra weight of it helps for the noise to not happen....
What we've speculated ever since this problem started is that the suspension of the 5G Legend/3G RLX was designed with the KC2 in mind, not the KC1.

I see, why wouldn't acura just use 2016 struts on the 2014-15 models? It's the same chassis it's it?
That might very well be what it is that they are doing, with the main problem being that Showa cannot keep up with what's needed for such allow production vehicle, plus producing the replacement kits in sufficient stock for the few thousand KC1 already on the road.

I am calling today to see if they have arrived yet, hopefully they have so I can get it done.
This is why I really came in here, to see if you managed to do what you wanted, and whether it made a difference. :-)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I called the dealership today and the parts are still on back order with no ETA. Totally dissatisfied with how Acura is handling it.
The following 2 users liked this post by wilspainar:
KenRLX (07-06-2017), sooththetruth (07-21-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
^^^I believe the fault lies with the person that told you the part would arrive June 30th. I've never known TSB parts to come with an exact arrival date - there is just no way to know how long the engineering will take and then parts are often sourced from a variety of supply companies any one of which can have a back log and cause a delay in the final part's arrival.

That said, I certainly appreciate your frustration. Hopefully when the part arrives it exceeds your expectations.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
TSB parts backordered--yup,, been there.. I know the techs at my dealer have been in direct contact with the factory engineers over the years on this TSB part. And again, I have been told by both the dealer and the Torrence office that there have been multiple 'design changes' on the TSB part, but no part number change.
What amazes me, is that this suspension embarrassment is now almost 4 years old, and Acura has yet to allow a damper factory to make a damper of the same quality as the rest of the auto industry world. (I am convinced through driving other makes that it is possible, and ubiquitous, to have decent dampers on a car. It must be Acura that is preventing such dampers from being placed on an RLX.)

Good luck Wilspainar! I do wish you success.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Grandpa

Once when I had something I wanted to talk about, I contacted Acura customer relations on Twitter.

They responded within seconds and asked for more information.

Then they responded the next day with a solution.

The day after that, they sent me a survey.

Just saying. No point in missing the opportunity to express yourself. :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by George Knighton:
hondamore (07-07-2017), sooththetruth (07-21-2017), wilspainar (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by KenRLX
What amazes me, is that this suspension embarrassment is now almost 4 years old, and Acura has yet to allow a damper factory to make a damper of the same quality as the rest of the auto industry world. (I am convinced through driving other makes that it is possible, and ubiquitous, to have decent dampers on a car. It must be Acura that is preventing such dampers from being placed on an RLX.)
It is possible for Acura to do well. I can tell you that I am completely happy with my new TLX's suspension tuning. I wish I had similar tuning in my RLX SH, it would have been a BEAST on the road, or at least a better "sleeper". I've said previously that the MMC TLX's (or at least the A-Spec) suspension tuning is better than the RLX, and I maintain that opinion. I agree with George's suggestion to be the squeaky wheel. At the minimum, you guys deserve an explanation of what is causing the backorder. Is it that the design is not complete? parts being made in low volume? not sure what is happening? Communication is key.

In my particular situation with the RLX, Acura Corp contacted me not at all unless I contacted ACS....it was my dealer service staff that did all the communicating. They were direct and discussed their interaction with the various parts of Acura Corp they needed to deal with. I didn't even have to be the squeaky wheel very often, just at the beginning including involving the general and service managers. Afterward, the dealer's staff took it upon themselves to contact me. It took a long time to remedy my situation to my satisfaction, but it finally happened. So...they kept a loyal customer....or at least the dealer did.

So, yeah. Squeaky wheel.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Racer

I will take that advice and see if it helps. On my TL-S I have coilovers and it rides so smooth
Old 07-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Just saying. No point in missing the opportunity to express yourself. :-)
I did exactly that regarding all the issues I had with my RLX. In my case having reached out to ACS directly, versus going through my dealer.

They were polite, very attentive, engaged and spent a good bit of time collecting and gathering information from me and my experience with the RLX.

They even called me back a couple times to talk with different folks to gain a better understanding of what was wrong.

They acknowledged most of my complaints and didn't try to hide and/or deflect what were valid issues.

But in the end did it accomplish anything? Nope. All I got was a $300 gift card for my troubles. I ultimately still ended up loosing $40k+ on a car that I planned on keeping long-term, but didn't live up anywhere near what the cost of the vehicle was priced and marketed to be, nor lived up to the expectations the brand had set with it's prior products.

So yes, I agree, express yourself. But don't go in expecting that it will change and/or rectify anything. Especially from a financial standpoint. The suspension issue still hasn't been resolved after 4 years, further validating my decision to not keep my RLX after the lease, and further validating that Acura screwed up and has done nothing to correct it, no matter how you want to spin it.

The suspension in a vehicle is in IMO one of the most critical components of doing what a car is designed to do: be driven. It is also critical to the overall experience and enjoyment of driving that vehicle. The fact they basically redesigned the entire suspension system for the 2016 models and up, is again further proof that the suspension in the 2014-2015 models was a complete failure. IMO what should have been done is a proper and correct TSB to replace the entire suspension on all 2014-2015 models with the 2016 suspension components. That would have been the right way for Acura to acknowledge and take ownership from a financial perspective, and show their customers that they actually recognized the important of the issue. Versus placing it on the customers to deal with. In this case, not having any real solution in place.

Last edited by holografique; 07-08-2017 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wilspainar (07-10-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Quoted from the Acura 2016 RLX press-release:

"Additional Enhancements for 2016 RLX
To improve overall ride and handling quality and reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH), the chassis of the 2016 RLX has received multiple tuning refinements. Both the front and rear shock absorbers get an increase in piston rod diameter and the rear stabilizer bar's stiffness is decreased. The front and rear spring rates and shock absorber damping force were all decreased to provide better shock absorption and road surface tracking. Furthermore, the front upper spring/shock mounts and rear bump stops were changed for improved action."

Press Releases

IMO they should have bitten the bullet and have taken the financial loss in releasing these improvements for all 2014-2015 models, or at least make it a TSB for those 2014-2015 owners who were not satisfied with the suspension in it's current state. Maybe then it would have been feasible to keep my 2014, as I could have dealt with all the other issues at that point.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
^^ That would have amounted to an expensive olive branch extended by Acura and a true negative hit to their bottom line. Some suit was probably thinking, if they are dissatisfied, maybe, just maybe, they will unload the "inferior" model for a shiny new and improved one!
Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
That kind of thinking only upsets lease customers (holografique was/is one) and makes them less likely to return. I wonder what would have happened, had I experienced my issues earlier in my lease? I truly lucked out, as my issues occurred in the last few months of my lease.

As far as an expensive olive branch.....there aren't that many 2014-15 PAWS RLXs, and fewer owners who've complained. Compared to the Takata airbag situation, the RLX PAWS suspension fix would have been small potatoes. Just IMO.
holografique (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Grandpa

I've heard of a few instances they've replaced the dampers.

But one thing leads to another very quickly if you want to convert a 2014 car to 2016 specifications.

That's a lot of parts.

Not judging, just observing.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
holografique (07-09-2017), neuronbob (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
That kind of thinking only upsets lease customers (holografique was/is one) and makes them less likely to return. I wonder what would have happened, had I experienced my issues earlier in my lease? I truly lucked out, as my issues occurred in the last few months of my lease.

As far as an expensive olive branch.....there aren't that many 2014-15 PAWS RLXs, and fewer owners who've complained. Compared to the Takata airbag situation, the RLX PAWS suspension fix would have been small potatoes. Just IMO.
In complete agreement with you and I do sympathize. If I were an owner of a ride with issues, I'd be beyond livid and hot on the trail of Acura to do something. But I would only be one voice. Just like with anything, the more noise made, the greater the chances something may get done. Car manufacturers are all about profit, and it is tough for the consumer to affect that. and they know it. Acura is nothing without a strong customer base. Sometimes you have to wonder how much they think about that.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Racer

I wrote my impressions on Acura's facebook page and Instagram. Within the hour they contacted me and spoke with them in PM's I have 3 current issues with my car that are now actually annoying the hell out of me and I let them know the issues. Not sure if anything will come out of it. I actually bought the car with the intentions of keeping it for a long time. I have been calm about it only because I drive my TL most of the time and my wife drives the RLX during the week and she doesn't really notice the type's of things. If they fix my transmission problem I might keep it and replace the suspension with Coilovers because I do like the car.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

TSB parts backordered--yup,, been there.. I know the techs at my dealer have been in direct contact with the factory engineers over the years on this TSB part. And again, I have been told by both the dealer and the Torrence office that there have been multiple 'design changes' on the TSB part, but no part number change.

Good luck Wilspainar! I do wish you success.
I wrote my impressions on Acura's facebook page and Instagram. Within the hour they contacted me and spoke with them in PM's I have 3 current issues with my car that are now actually annoying the hell out of me and I let them know the issues. Not sure if anything will come out of it. I actually bought the car with the intentions of keeping it for a long time. I have been calm about it only because I drive my TL most of the time and my wife drives the RLX during the week and she doesn't really notice the type's of things. If they fix my transmission problem I might keep it and replace the suspension with Coilovers because I do like the car.
Only within the last year have they started to take a real step forward with social media and customer engagement through those channels. When I got my RLX and started having all my issues, Acura was non existent when it came to social media or customer engagement.

Consider yourself lucky to have at least gotten some attention. Hopefully it pans out better for you.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Racer

They called me twice today, and I was informed my dealership will have the parts in on Friday. So hopefully I get the call on Friday, they will follow up with me next week to make sure the dealership got the parts and are installing it. I am actually pretty surprised they responded like they did, I didn't expect anything to happen.
The following 3 users liked this post by wilspainar:
holografique (07-10-2017), hondamore (07-11-2017), KenRLX (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Wilspainar,
So far so good!!
As a voice of experience, remember that the 'quality/design' of the damper TSB parts CANNOT be determined by the part number sticker on the part. (Unless they have indeed very recently changed the TSB kit part number.
As a voice of cynicism, they may have drug out a dusty old kit several revisions back from some warehouse shelf and shipped it just to 'make you happy'. I have been there and done that too.
I would specifically ask Acura corporate the manufacture date of the kit they are installing. It really is important, and the date must be VERY recent!

I do wish you luck, for some of that may rub off on my ratt-tt-l-y RLX dampers.
As a PS, my huge issue is the rattling of the dampers,, incessant and miserable. If a bit softer tuning showed up too, that is icing on the cake. And watch for the tire pressure when you leave the dealership.. The dealer lowered the pressure to the high 20's on my car once after the service to 'make a better first impression' after the kit was installed.

Last edited by KenRLX; 07-10-2017 at 06:36 PM.
holografique (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Glad the squeaky wheel method worked. Mayhap its time to try the BC coilovers available for the KC1/KC2 if this doesn't work.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Instructor

NeuronBob,
I do think an outfit like BC could do a real service to RLX owners. I did contact them about a year ago and they told me any coilover kit would come with a lowered suspension, stiffer spring rates and higher damping rates. (Not good news for a car with too high of a spring rate/damping rates and rattles to go with.)
I just sent them a note asking again if they would consider building a 'stock' version of the coilover kit. I will advise what I hear.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

https://store.bcracing-na.com/dr-ser...016-p5771.aspx

BC's DR series offers adjustable height. If you are savvy to spring rates, you can tell them what you want, though their standard RLX kit comes with 12 kg front/7 kg rear springs. I'd pick up the phone and start with "I want this kit, but with these spring rates, can you hook a brother up?" .

I don't work for BC, but I'm familiar with them as they have a very popular, reliable, cost-effective NSX coilover upgrade. BC Vs. KW v.3 decision for my NSX is my next mod. Decisions, decisions....
Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Racer

Thanks for that heads up Ken, I'll make sure I ask about the build date. If this doesn't work and I do decide to keep it for years I'll do the BC coilovers. A member here has them on their RLX and he likes them.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Grandpa

I'm nervous about changing ride height and spring rates on the KC1 or the KC2.

I don't know if the KC1's P-AWS controls will understand that the car has different spring rates now.

The computer will predict a P-AWS yaw based only on stock spring rates and predicted attitudes.

All of us who've driven the P-AWS cars know that there is a perceivable lag (it's very short, but perceivable) between your steering input and the angle that the rear wheels take.

This is complete speculation on my part, but I wonder if you wouldn't get into this odd situation where you make a steering input, (delay), P-AWS angle, (computer says oops!!...wrong attitude!!), (delay), new steering angle.

Playing Devil's Advocate, I am speculating that the extra rear wheel input and delays might complicate an emergency or high performance situation.
pgeorg (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 AM
Grandpa

The dealer lowered the pressure to the high 20's on my car once after the service to 'make a better first impression' after the kit was installed.
:-)

My little problem is that they have a tendency to reset my pressures to KC1 specifications.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Still taking about the RLX suspension ! I'm really glad that I leased the '14 RLX PAWS. Gave it back to them and moved on to an RDX. Zero problems in one year.
The following 2 users liked this post by R. White:
miner (07-17-2017), neuronbob (07-13-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Racer

I dropped the car off today. I asked for the build date on the parts and was told they have to look into that because no one ever asked that question. Also they are going to do the TSB for my screeching steering column.
KenRLX (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Racer

On a different note they gave me a RDX as a loaner. This thing is so blah, nothing special about it to justify this price.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

As for the RDX, it's better in the upper trim levels. The base AWD, which I drove for a week during one of my RLX's sessions in the shop, is pretty plain. With SH-AWD, the RDX would be a much more entertaining ride.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

On a different note they gave me a RDX as a loaner. This thing is so blah, nothing special about it to justify this price.
People seem to love the RDX. They must be getting the max trim neuronbob mentioned. If you are going base, you may as well save a nickel or two and get a CR-V.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by moose66
People seem to love the RDX. They must be getting the max trim neuronbob mentioned. If you are going base, you may as well save a nickel or two and get a CR-V.
They gave me a Tech AWD model. It just seems so basic, plain an rather slow. I wouldn't buy one, especially for that price.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Racer

Got my car back today, the car isn't noisy anymore and rides fine. They couldn't give me the build date on the parts. But was told it was the lastest build. Car sits a little higher up front, it's noticeable to me at least.
The following 3 users liked this post by wilspainar:
a35tl (08-14-2017), KenRLX (07-21-2017), rlx015 (08-07-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Congrats! Now you'll have to monitor whether the noise comes back, as others have reported. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:15 AM
Instructor

Wilspainar,

Thank you for your feedback and in particular the picture of the damper label. It is very much appreciated.
I am looking forward to your experience of comparison with rattles, noises such as chassis boom on rougher roads and 'harshness'.
Give it a bit of time to settle. There is much more 'chassis boom' on the RLX than almost any other car. It seems that RLX dampers , largely due to the excessively tight valving makes each undulation in the road a shock to the chassis.
The damper kit on my car is just over a year old, so if your experience is positive, I will try to acquire another recently manufactured set.

Last edited by KenRLX; 07-22-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wilspainar, There is much more 'chassis boom' on the RLX than almost any other car. It seems that RLX dampers , largely due to the excessively tight valving makes each undulation in the road a shock to the chassis.
This, exactly this. The shock was soo hard to my chassis, that at times it felt like the car was going to break. I always felt the shock all the way through the seating, steering wheel and was extremely audible throughout the interior. At times my wife would look at me with a look of "WTF is going on?". And this is on the same roads that my current 2016 ILX A-spec takes like a champ, with absolutely nowhere near the same chassis shock as my old RLX. The ILX has a tight sporty suspension feel, but is far more composed when it hits anything on the road other than a smooth surface. Recovery is quick, cohesive and linear along the chassis length, and any physical shock is far more muted with a much softer "thud". The RLX was like a bobble head toy, it fumbled, bounced unevenly across the length of the chassis (front to rear) and created hard physical shocks throughout the chassis as explained above.

I seriously never drove any vehicle more unsettling than my RLX PAWS. If you were on smooth roads, it was a dream. Otherwise, it was a joke.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Bobble head toy???

I laughed out loud, then,, sighed...
So sad, so true......
Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Racer

I have driven the car quite it bit since the suspension install. The car doesn't have the loud boom but it just drives like crap. I have had the car aligned twice since then and it still pulls slightly to the right. Overall it is a nice car compared to an Accord or something similar but at this point I am done with the car. I will trade it in for probably an MDX since I do like them.
neuronbob (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Figured that'd be the outcome. Sorry to read of not much improvement.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
This, exactly this. The shock was soo hard to my chassis, that at times it felt like the car was going to break. I always felt the shock all the way through the seating, steering wheel and was extremely audible throughout the interior. At times my wife would look at me with a look of "WTF is going on?". And this is on the same roads that my current 2016 ILX A-spec takes like a champ, with absolutely nowhere near the same chassis shock as my old RLX. The ILX has a tight sporty suspension feel, but is far more composed when it hits anything on the road other than a smooth surface. Recovery is quick, cohesive and linear along the chassis length, and any physical shock is far more muted with a much softer "thud". The RLX was like a bobble head toy, it fumbled, bounced unevenly across the length of the chassis (front to rear) and created hard physical shocks throughout the chassis as explained above.

I seriously never drove any vehicle more unsettling than my RLX PAWS. If you were on smooth roads, it was a dream. Otherwise, it was a joke.
Totally agree. Spilled coffee so many times with PAWS
Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by getakey
Totally agree. Spilled coffee so many times with PAWS
I didn't have that issue with my Sport Hybrid. Thankfully. I keep my cars neat, so would have disturbed my mild OCD massively. A rough enough suspension to cause coffee spills is a bad thing.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear people are still talking about this. I went thru a year of hell with Honda & the dealer I bought it from back in 2014. Took Honda/Acura to arbitration
and lost. It's all fixed as I found out that manufacturers pay for arbitration. Sold my 2014 rlx advance. what a piece of shit, took a 15k loss in less than one year.
Never buy an overpriced Honda(acura) again.