What platform for new RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:17 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
What platform for new RDX?

Does the 3rd gen RDX use a new platform? It’s logical to assume the it will be using the new CRV platform but I remember seeing some report otherwise. I’m sure it has been discussed before but can someone answer this please. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Check this out : https://www.motor1.com/news/238036/acura-rdx-new-platform/
Old 04-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Interesting. Then what platform does it use? It comes out of the same factory as the CR-V and similar to the current gen it has a slightly longer wheelbase than the CR-V. Seems like a stretched CR-V platform would make the most sense for efficiency. Maybe not? I find it hard to believe they would use a bespoke platform for such a relatively "normal" car. NSX? Of course its unique. RDX? why?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Intermediate

Here is another interesting article to the new platform.
Body highlights of 2019 RDX include ?continuous? mated door ring; vehicle is first for Acura-exclusive platform Repairer Driven News
Old 04-28-2018, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting link and I had read about it before. Repairing vehicles constructed this way if they have frame damage is going to take an expert and I doubt even if done right it will have the strength of a new vehicle.

On the topic of the '19 being a unique platform I would doubt it do to cost. Honda is reviving the Passport name on a new vehicle to launch early '19 and considering they just announced this only a couple of months ago, it has me wondering if it will simply be the Honda version of the new RDX. The press has indicated the Passport will be larger than the CRV but smaller than the Pilot. Also some chatter of a 5 row Pilot which could be the Passport. In any event, you can't announce a new model for introduction within 12 months and have it be a new vehicle, it has to be a version of something in or nearly in production.

Honda having serious issues with their 1.5L Turbo engine, gas not burning completely and ending up in the oil. Big problem. Wondering if this issue will spill over to the 2.0L turbo. The 1.5 is in the CRV, Accord and Civic and the 2.0 is in the Accord with a modified version in the new RDX. Was interested in CRV but won't touch it now, too much of a risk. The 6 cyl in the current RDX has been flawless, ample power and efficiency. If it ain't broke...
The following users liked this post:
RDL1 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
Interesting link and I had read about it before. Repairing vehicles constructed this way if they have frame damage is going to take an expert and I doubt even if done right it will have the strength of a new vehicle.

On the topic of the '19 being a unique platform I would doubt it do to cost. Honda is reviving the Passport name on a new vehicle to launch early '19 and considering they just announced this only a couple of months ago, it has me wondering if it will simply be the Honda version of the new RDX. The press has indicated the Passport will be larger than the CRV but smaller than the Pilot. Also some chatter of a 5 row Pilot which could be the Passport. In any event, you can't announce a new model for introduction within 12 months and have it be a new vehicle, it has to be a version of something in or nearly in production.

Honda having serious issues with their 1.5L Turbo engine, gas not burning completely and ending up in the oil. Big problem. Wondering if this issue will spill over to the 2.0L turbo. The 1.5 is in the CRV, Accord and Civic and the 2.0 is in the Accord with a modified version in the new RDX. Was interested in CRV but won't touch it now, too much of a risk. The 6 cyl in the current RDX has been flawless, ample power and efficiency. If it ain't broke...
Wow...did not know about the turbo issues with Honda until your post ! I went to CRV forum and wow, this is a big problem !! I would sure hope they find a fix before the new turbo makes it's way to the RDX ! This could be a potential bad problem if it isn't resolved , and many that have new CRV's are very worried about it and are having problems. Sad for sure. I for sure will wait awhile before getting the new RDX, and see what this turbo does. It is too expensive to invest in if it ends up like the current CRV's with no fix at this time.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts

The first iteration of a new platform is always the unique one.

I wonder about the new 2.0. Specifically, I wonder whether it is the exact same engine as in the Accord, with the only difference being the Accord is rated for regular gas, while the RDX would be rated for premium. With today's engine management systems, it seems to me that either the Accord or the RDX would make the same power depending upon whether regular or premium is used.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

The turbo issue with Honda is a big concern for me now wondering about the new RDX with it.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDL1
The turbo issue with Honda is a big concern for me now wondering about the new RDX with it.

so far, it has been the 1.5.

if the 2.0/10AT has problems, I'm sure that will come out.
RDL1 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The first iteration of a new platform is always the unique one.

I wonder about the new 2.0. Specifically, I wonder whether it is the exact same engine as in the Accord, with the only difference being the Accord is rated for regular gas, while the RDX would be rated for premium. With today's engine management systems, it seems to me that either the Accord or the RDX would make the same power depending upon whether regular or premium is used.
Acura will likely make some small changes to the engine, to differentiate it from the Honda version. Nothing drastic. I would assume the changes would be to squeeze out a bit more torque throughout the rpm range, as that's what SUVs tend to need. Beyond that, just tuning the engine for premium gasoline vs regular gasoline will up the power a little bit, throughout the rpm band. Acura and Honda have always had subtle differences between the engines, though admittedly, those differences have shrunk in the last five or six years.

I could be completely wrong, but, that tsunami that hit Japan several years back- I think it had a bigger impact on Honda (as it did destroy some of their warehouses, and some other shit I think) then they ever admitted- I think that resulted in major budget cuts to Honda and Acura- not because they wanted to, but because they have to keep share holders happy and they had to minimize the financial impact. I have no way to prove this, but, I don't know how else to explain how Acura appeared to sit back, as opposed to be at the forefront like they used to.

This of course is all just speculation. I could be completely wrong with all of it.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=TacoBello;16226088]

Acura will likely make some small changes to the engine, to differentiate it from the Honda version. Nothing drastic. I would assume the changes would be to squeeze out a bit more torque throughout the rpm range, as that's what SUVs tend to need. Beyond that, just tuning the engine for premium gasoline vs regular gasoline will up the power a little bit, throughout the rpm band. Acura and Honda have always had subtle differences between the engines, though admittedly, those differences have shrunk in the last five or six years.

What is your take as far as the 1.5 turbo and the issues Honda is having with it?.....so far, it is hush as far as the 2.0 turbo on the Honda Accord site...Haven't seen any mention , only the 1.5 where the CRV is having the problem. I would think they would make sure to remedy the problem before it reaches a new turbo for the RDX, as they are counting on big sales with this new model.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I'm not even sure what the issue with the 1.5T even is, to be quite honest.

As for the RDX, It will largely be the same engine as the accord, with maybe some minor parts changes here and there (different throttle body, etc). I would think they would hammer out most kinks in the accord by the time the RDX rolls out... But who knows.

If you're asking me if I would buy a Honda with the 2.0T, the simple answer is yes, I would, and I wouldn't even think twice about it.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=TacoBello;16226133]I'm not even sure what the issue with the 1.5T even is, to be quite honest.

1.5L Turbo engine, gas not burning completely and ending up in the oil. If you go to CRV forums, you can read about it. Serious stuff, with gas smells in the interior as well.
Magically growing oil volume.
2017 LX 1.5L Internal Engine Problem
(potential MAJOR issue) 2017 CR-V gasoline gets into engine oil tank
Honda Recall - China - Engines - Gas In Oil
2017 CR-V 1.5 T Engine high oil volume/fuel in oil problem - got me!!
It might be worse than you think (1.5 Turbo issues)
Class Action lawsuit

Last edited by RDL1; 04-28-2018 at 04:06 PM.
ultramart (05-05-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:24 PM
Pro

This is exactly why I wouldn't touch a '19 RDX. The 1.5 has been out longer than the 2.0 so we don't have that much data on the 2.0T and it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up having similar issues. The engines had to to be developed at the same time using similar tech so it follows they would have similar issues IMHO. Hopefully I am wrong, but I wouldn't put a $40k bet on it based on the issues I have had with my 4yr into the production run '16....
Old 04-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by chickdr
This is exactly why I wouldn't touch a '19 RDX. The 1.5 has been out longer than the 2.0 so we don't have that much data on the 2.0T and it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up having similar issues. The engines had to to be developed at the same time using similar tech so it follows they would have similar issues IMHO. Hopefully I am wrong, but I wouldn't put a $40k bet on it based on the issues I have had with my 4yr into the production run '16....
It would surprise me, since the two engines are completely different ones. And if there is a problem, it would turn up quickly, since folks would be looking for it.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Pro

It would surprise me, since the two engines are completely different ones. And if there is a problem, it would turn up quickly, since folks would be looking for it.
I guess time will tell, won't it? You honestly believe two 4 cylinder turbo Honda engines developed in the same time frame with slightly different displacement are "completely different"?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Drifting

1.5/4 and 2.0/4 are more than 'slightly different'

Google 'oil dilution Honda' and see how many 2.0 engines are included.

They are different engines, in the same way the 10 speed AT is different from the 6 speed AT. Yes, they are both engines, as the two are both transmissions.

you want to wait and see! I get that. You want to put the 1.5 problems on the 2.0? No. Not without suppoted facts.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 PM
Drifting

They are different engines, in the same way the 10 speed AT is different from the 6 speed AT. Yes, they are both engines, as the two are both transmissions.

you want to wait and see? I get that. You want to put the 1.5 problems on the 2.0? No. Not without suppoted facts.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:55 AM
Pro

you want to wait and see? I get that. You want to put the 1.5 problems on the 2.0? No. Not without supported facts.

The same way as the 10-sp trans is the same as a 6-sp??? Come on Madd Dog, they were developed many years apart. The 1.5 and the 2.0 are certainly "different", but were developed at the same time with the same resources. The 1.5 and 2.0 are offered in different trims of the current Accord. You are sticking your head in the sand if you think they are completely different in the way the 3.5 V6 in the MDX differs from the 2.4l in the base CR-V...

As I said before, maybe the 2.0 will turn out better than the 1.5, but I certainly wouldn't want to be an early adopter based on the 1.5's current woes.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is some noise about the 2.0 but nothing like the 1.5 so much much too early to render any opinion. That being said, I won't by any Honda 2.0 T engine for at least another year.

Accord owners have said they love the power of the 2.0 and it is apparently smooth. I drove a CRV and loved it, not as luxurious as an RDX but not as expensive either. Given what is happening with the CRV, I wouldn't touch one and I would be surprised if the issue is properly addressed in 2018. When cold, the computer has the fuel injection system put more gas into the engine and the fuel is not burning.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Drifting

There is some noise about the 2.0 but nothing like the 1.5 so much much too early to render any opinion. That being said, I won't by any Honda 2.0 T engine for at least another year.

Accord owners have said they love the power of the 2.0 and it is apparently smooth. I drove a CRV and loved it, not as luxurious as an RDX but not as expensive either. Given what is happening with the CRV, I wouldn't touch one and I would be surprised if the issue is properly addressed in 2018. When cold, the computer has the fuel injection system put more gas into the engine and the fuel is not burning.
which becomes readily apparent, and therefore easy to identify now that people know what to look for.

it took some time for people to put it all together that in the cold, in short trips, fuel dilution of the oil was happening. Now, it is easy to look for cold weather, short trip fuel dilution of the oil.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Well, I am not looking to replace my RDX until 2019. Will see how reliable the engine is. If there are issues, I may get an MDX.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

which becomes readily apparent, and therefore easy to identify now that people know what to look for.

it took some time for people to put it all together that in the cold, in short trips, fuel dilution of the oil was happening. Now, it is easy to look for cold weather, short trip fuel dilution of the oil.
Sounds like many peoples commute to/from work in the winter.