Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > Third Generation RDX (2019+)
Reload this Page >

What does pressing the "D/S" twice to go into Sport mode do vs. using IDS??

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What’s the difference between the selecting Sport/Sport+ using the Integrated Dynamic System and pressing the “D/S” twice and going into Sport Mode?
Old 12-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NewRDXdriver View Post
What’s the difference between the selecting Sport/Sport+ using the Integrated Dynamic System and pressing the “D/S” twice and going into Sport Mode?
Pressing D/S twice just put the transmission in sport mode VS the Dynamic System changes not only the transmission settings but steering wheel response, accelerator sensitivity, the fake engine noise, suspension stifness (advance only), etc.
The following users liked this post:
NewRDXdriver (12-09-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
The S on the D/S button is for Sequential mode. See pages 424 and 425 of the owner's manual for a detailed explanation, but basically, it's for manual shifting using the paddle shifters.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo View Post
The S on the D/S button is for Sequential mode. See pages 424 and 425 of the owner's manual for a detailed explanation, but basically, it's for manual shifting using the paddle shifters.
But the reality is putting the D/S button into S, the car still shifts completely automatically.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 240 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver View Post

But the reality is putting the D/S button into S, the car still shifts completely automatically.
True - but ONLY when RPMs approach red line.

From the owner's manual:

If the vehicle speed increases and the engine speed reaches near the tachometer’s
red zone, the transmission automatically shifts up to the next gear.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
So I am assume neither of these is possible, which is a good thing.
- Hold the car at redline?
- Downshift to the point where it goes beyond redline? (with a true manual, this is where engine damage is done)

What is the purpose of a tach in a car with an auto transmission? Just to detect unusual idle speed?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Just to add some context -- this is my first ever automatic transmission car. All of my 5 prior cars were manuals. Honda had the best of all the manuals I owned (Honda, Nissan, BMW).
Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 249 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX View Post
True - but ONLY when RPMs approach red line.
Nope. Sebring is correct. Unless you pull a paddle shifter, shifting is still automatic in "S", but with altered shift points. It also keeps the revs up to enhance responsiveness. Of course, this isn't good for fuel efficiency.

If you do, in fact, pull a paddle shifter to engage "manual sequential mode" ( Honda/Acura Speak... don't shoot the messenger ), the transmission and engine controllers are smart enough to protect the mechanicals from egregious user error. So yes, it will shift up, cut fuel flow, and whatever else is necessary to prevent the RPMs from exceeding redline and blowing up the engine. This also applies during engine braking.

It will even shift down for you if you forget to do it when you stop. ( It won't let you stall the engine when you slow down ).

However, it will NOT protect you from embarrassing yourself when the revs shoot up to redline in 0.3 seconds when you try to get moving again and it stays in 1st gear because you forgot to shift.

Unlike a true manual, you don't need to keep an eye on the tach as you accelerate to prevent over-revving and blowing the engine. So it can be argued that the tach is mostly there for entertainment and nostalgia, but it is helpful for assessing idle and also for engine braking. It's also helpful if you're really trying to keep the engine in its power band for maximum acceleration.

And yes, I grew up rowing 5-speed manuals attached to fun little 4-bangers that put out less than half the power of our RDXs. And I seem to recall burning a few clutch plates during overly enthusiastic "testing".

Last edited by Wander; 12-07-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:08 AM
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
However, it will NOT protect you from embarrassing yourself when the revs shoot up to redline in 0.3 seconds when you try to get moving again and it stays in 1st gear because you forgot to shift.
Reminds me of the time I bought a new 2008 Infiniti G35. I was showboating in manual shift mode and forget to upshift after accelerating from a stop. In that vehicle, the transmission would NOT upshift automatically at redline - instead, the engine would just bounce off the rev limiter (rather violently might I add). I never did that again.

For reference, a 2017 Ridgeline when shifted to "L" won't automatically upshift past 2nd gear. It, too, will bounce off the rev limiter instead.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Nope. Sebring is correct. Unless you pull a paddle shifter, shifting is still automatic in "S", ...
DOH!!!

I guess once I saw this on page 20 of the OM my brain decided to ignore anything else on the subject.

When the transmission is in S
● Holds the selected gear, and the
M (sequential mode) indicator
comes on.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 249 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX View Post
DOH!!!

I guess once I saw this on page 20 of the OM my brain decided to ignore anything else on the subject.

When the transmission is in S
● Holds the selected gear, and the
M (sequential mode) indicator
comes on.
I think the manual was translated from Japanese into English by way of Swahili. This may be a case where it's better to just play with the damn thing to see how it works.

AFAIK all Honda/Acura automatic transmissions with paddle shifters work essentially the same way.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

I think the manual was translated from Japanese into English by way of Swahili. This may be a case where it's better to just play with the damn thing to see how it works.

AFAIK all Honda/Acura automatic transmissions with paddle shifters work essentially the same way.
Yeah, there's more than just a little bit of ambiguous/conflicting information in the OM and OG.

Regarding the subject at hand, when I picked up mine one of the first things I did was play with it in 'manual' mode using the paddles and 'S' (too many shifts in too short a period of time for use in traffic) so that likely established my mindset and then subconsciously filtered out any information that was at odds with the misconception. My first Honda/Acura with paddles so lesson learned.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo View Post
Your OM has 425+ pages?!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 AM
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

The Owner's Manual does. The vehicle comes only with a condensed Owner's Guide.

You can download a PDF copy of the Owner's Manual at any time for free. First owners are entitled to a free printed copy within the first six months of purchase. There's a separate manual for the navigation system.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post
The Owner's Manual does. The vehicle comes only with a condensed Owner's Guide.

You can download a PDF copy of the Owner's Manual at any time for free. First owners are entitled to a free printed copy within the first six months of purchase. There's a separate manual for the navigation system.
Hmmm... My downloaded PDF only has 145 pages. Not sure about the printed copy in the glove box...
Old 06-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
If you press it, you will notice that the vehicle REVS higher than in D mode...and will use more fuel.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 AM
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E

Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
Hmmm... My downloaded PDF only has 145 pages. Not sure about the printed copy in the glove box...
It sounds like you downloaded the Owner's Guide (the printed manual that comes with the vehicle), not the Owner's Manual.